Linux-Hardware Digest #408, Volume #12            Sun, 5 Mar 00 19:13:13 EST

Contents:
  Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 128 questions ("David St.Clair")
  Upgrade old PC ("Karel Venken")
  Re: CD Writer failed after install!! (Bob Gamble)
  Re: CD Writer failed after install!! (herman dumont)
  Re: CD-Writer (IDE) install ??? (herman dumont)
  Re: Some progress (was Re: unknown disk drive activity)
  Re: HELP - Install Linux on Last Partition of a 30 GB Hard Drive? ("Karel Venken")
  Re: ANYBODY have SB Live working with SMP? (TchHacker)
  Voice modem - any recommendation? ("Hugo Frappier")
  Re: Linux not speedy on the Speedway? (C. Newport)
  I can't see half the screen and Im totally lost!! ("s barnes")
  help w/S3 Savage MX (Rob)
  Multiple SCSI Controllers on Redhat 6.0 ("Jim Birkenmaier")
  Re: SCSI tape drive, device not ready ("Gene Heskett")
  Re: Suprasonic II isi under Red Hat? (W R Carr)
  Re: Unbuffered RAM vs. Registered RAM (W R Carr)
  Re-activating RAID disk (estroncio)
  Linux hardware problem detector (Matthew)
  Re: setting up multi processors. ("D. Stimits")
  Gamepad under Linux (Willem =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bleym=FCller?=)
  af ("Daniel Baran")

From: "David St.Clair" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 128 questions
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 10:11:07 -0500

Go ahead and try the ATI-Rage 128 Driver.  My guess is that it will work
with any ATI Rage128 (Including the ATI All-in Wonder 128).  GL support is
there too :)  The demo only works for 10 minutes, but at least you'll know
that it works. The demo worked great on my ATI Rage Fury 128.

David St.Clair

------------------------------

From: "Karel Venken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Upgrade old PC
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 21:01:18 +0100

I want to upgrade an old PC (Pentim 133), basically by replacing motherboard
and processor. The system in I had in mind is following, with some questions
concerning the system :

Athlon 550 MHZ
128 MB RAM
motherboard GA-71X
Matrox Millenium G400 MAX

The other stuff I retrieve from my previous PC :

harddisk : 18 GB IDE Quantum Fireball,
Mirovideo  PCTV (PCI-TV-board)
Realtek RTL8029 PCI ethernet
Creative Soundblaster 16 Plug and Play (ISA)
ISA interface board with 2 serial and 1 parallel port
external K56-flex modem (Rockwell)
Logitech PageScan Color Parallel

On my old PC I have Suse Linux 6.2 and everything running (except for the
scanner, this seems to be even harder then a PCI-modem, in fact it does not
exist under Linux at all, but this aside...)

The questions :

I discovered that several people have problems with Linux and the Athlon.
What can I expect with this motherboard, or is there a better suggestion ?
The Athlon Processor seems to outperform the Pentium III.

The Matrox Millenium G400 supports dual head display under Windows 98. Is it
also supported under Linux (This board is eg. supported by Linux Suse 6.2,
but I am not sure of the dual head display)

Is there really no support at all for parallel port scanners, if so, would
it be possible at all under Linux (Perhaps I can try to write a loadable
module, but I have no programming experience...)

------------------------------

From: Bob Gamble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD Writer failed after install!!
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 13:08:11 -0700

Jim Tench wrote:

> Yo
>     I have an IDE CD Writer and Hard-Drive.  I installed Linux fine using
> the Writer to read my installation ROM.  Now when I try to mount a CD, I get
>
> [root@localhost /root]# mount /dev/cdrom
> mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
> [root@localhost /root]#
>
> Any ideas why this is not a valid block device?.  I thought it would just be
> treated like any other IDE CDROM for reading .
>
> Jim

I'm no expert, but I use the command:

mount /mnt/cdrom to get to my cd's, if the system doesn't do it automatically
for me.  Then use the umount command to unmount it:

umount /mnt/cdrom.  (no "n" in umount).

Hope this helps.

Bob

------------------------------

From: herman dumont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 21:45:46 +0100

Bob Gamble wrote:

> Jim Tench wrote:
>
> > Yo
> >     I have an IDE CD Writer and Hard-Drive.  I installed Linux fine using
> > the Writer to read my installation ROM.  Now when I try to mount a CD, I get
> >
> > [root@localhost /root]# mount /dev/cdrom
> > mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
> > [root@localhost /root]#
> >
> > Any ideas why this is not a valid block device?.  I thought it would just be
> > treated like any other IDE CDROM for reading .
> >
> > Jim
>
> I'm no expert, but I use the command:
>
> mount /mnt/cdrom to get to my cd's, if the system doesn't do it automatically
> for me.  Then use the umount command to unmount it:
>
> umount /mnt/cdrom.  (no "n" in umount).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Bob
Hi,

try :
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

HTH

--
Linux version 2.3.42  libc-2.1.2.so Slackware 7.0.0
(egcs-1.1.2 release)) #14 Sat Feb 19 17:11:08 CET 2000

------------------------------

From: herman dumont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-Writer (IDE) install ???
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 21:47:17 +0100

Die Fietzos wrote:

> Ricoh 7040A (IDE) secon master CD-Rom (IDE) primary slave
> I want to install my CD-writer(IDE)
> I compile the Kernel with SCSI-Support
> I think i am very near ,
> cdrecords -scanbus makes : scsibus 0  0TEAC CD532E rem...
>                                                        1   Ricoh CDRw...
> But i can`t mount the scd0/scd1:
> The error message appears : mount wrong fs type,bad option
> bad superblock on /dev/scd0 or too many mounted file systems
>
> Pease help me !!!
> Ralf (Germany)
Hi,

try:
mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt
HTH

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Some progress (was Re: unknown disk drive activity)
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 20:47:47 GMT

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000 10:38:47 -0000, Peter Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The Central Scrutiniser said:
>
>However, under Gnome, there is no autorun process running, yet the constant
>disk activity is there. Perhaps there's a Gnome equivalent of autorun.
>
>I'll report back anything else I find.

Could be.  It seems that the drive's cache prevents the periodic scsi activity
from doing any physical.  The light blinks every two seconds or so but I don't
hear anything then.

The audible activity every ten seconds or so is probably something the drive is
doing on it's own.

------------------------------

From: "Karel Venken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.list
Subject: Re: HELP - Install Linux on Last Partition of a 30 GB Hard Drive?
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 21:32:24 +0100

If you have Windows 98, you can place a menu in the config.sys referring to
eg. windows and another entry to linux and boot in this case with loadlin
before you load any drivers and so on. Then you do not have to bother with
this 1024 cylinder limit. I use this for quite some time now. You can even
place a copy command in your config.sys so that you allways boot
automatically the last system you ran. Of course, if you have other
bootloaders this might interfere because then you might first need to select
Windows 98. (Eg. as far as I know, you can not boot Windows NT from within
Windows 98 as you can Linux)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TchHacker)
Subject: Re: ANYBODY have SB Live working with SMP?
Date: 05 Mar 2000 21:28:03 GMT

I have Mandrake 7.0, Abit BP6, 2 Celron 500's, & Sblive value, it worked out of
the box.

------------------------------

From: "Hugo Frappier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Voice modem - any recommendation?
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 21:31:18 GMT

Hi,

I want to set-up my linux server as a voice mail system.  So I'm looking for
a voice modem that will be supported by Linux (2.2.13).

Any recommendation?  Should I go with an internal or external one?

Thanks

Hugo Frappier
Montreal, Canada

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C. Newport)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.corel,corelsupport.linux.hardware_compatibility,corelsupport.linux.install,corelsupport.linux.set_up_config,uk.comp.os.linux,uklinux.general,uklinux.help.misc,u
Subject: Re: Linux not speedy on the Speedway?
Date: 5 Mar 2000 22:00:26 -0000

Raven ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Has anyone else out there bought a BT Speedway TA and managed to get it
: working on Linux?
: Does anyone have any advice to give to me on this matter? (remember I'm
: quite a newbie to Linux, boy it differant to my old friend DOS!)

Unfortunately the external Speedway TA uses a proprietory serial port
protocol which has not been ported to Linux and will only work
with the supplied Windoze drivers. (YUK).

Send it back and get the internal PCI card from BT.
This is a Fritz! card in disguise and it will work fine with Linux.

------------------------------

From: "s barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I can't see half the screen and Im totally lost!!
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 22:09:56 -0000

Im a complete Linux newbie and I've just installed Mandake 6.5 delux, but my
video card (Creative Geforce) isnt supported. I try using the Xconfig
program as part of the install to set it up, but it only gives me a stupid
resolution which looks lower than 640x480!
    As a result when i load KDE i can only see a small portion of the
screen. Ive got no idea how to use the linux drivers ive downloaded from
nvidia's site, and quite frankly Im totally stumped as to how i can get this
card working properly!
    Ive tried; selecting just one res. from xconfig; choosing SVGA server;
Autoprobe (bombs out); typing Xconfigurator from the 'execute command'
menu...nothing happens.
    I'm keen to learn linux, and I know its not exactly user-friendly, but
maybe someone out there could throw me a clue, please!

    Thanx in advance

    SimonB

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 03:13:49 -0800
From: Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help w/S3 Savage MX

Has anyone gotten a S3 Savage MX in a Tecra 8100 laptop to work?

Thanks.
Rob

------------------------------

From: "Jim Birkenmaier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Multiple SCSI Controllers on Redhat 6.0
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 22:37:23 GMT

Hello All,

Can someone please help me out. My PC has an Adaptec 2940 and
2930 PCI SCSI controller cards. The hard disks are attached to the
2940. My tape and CD-RW drives are attached to the 2930. The bios
is enabled on the 2940 and disabled on the 2930. The system boots
fine on NT 4.0 workstation with all devices accessible. When I boot
LINUX, it comes up just fine but neither the 2930 nor any of its
devices are seen. I have checked the documentation, the newsgroups
and redhat's web site all to no avail. Can anyone offer any help?

Jim Birkenmaier

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 2000 17:1:17 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI tape drive, device not ready
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to phil ;

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> Hi.  Please help...
>>    I have a Seagate TapeStor DAT 24 internal SCSI tape drive, and a
>> Adaptec 2930 Ultra SCSI card.  I'm on RH Linux 6.1, kernel 2.2.12.
>>
>> If root does "mt -f /dev/nst0 erase" (or rewind), the reply to stderr
>> is "/dev/nst0: Input/output error".  Also, each time root tries this,
>> something like these two lines is appended to /var/log/messages :
>>
>> Mar  4 13:33:12 madhanilab kernel: Device not ready.  Make sure there
>>      is a disc in the drive.
>> Mar  4 13:33:44 madhanilab last message repeated 31 times
>>
>>                         snipped

>  Try changing the Dat address to 2 or higher.

Excuse me Phil, but what has this to do with access to the drive?  In my
case, it worked for several months at address 0, then stopped, this with
an aha1540 adaptec card.  Since the drive still worked just fine on this
amiga, making a 6+ gig backup just last week, I thought maybe the card
didn't like tape anymore and bought an Advansys ABP-930U.  It doesn't
lock the linux box totally like the adaptec card did, and in either case
the 'mt -f /dev/tape erase' command works, its doing a tape right now
while attached to the advansys card at address 0.

But when tar, dump, or bru is run, it only writes maybe 10 megs to the
tape and its all over but the crying.  With the adaptec card, its a
total lockup requireing a hard reset, with the advansys card, a few
errors kicked out on the screen I started x from.  Last night, bru,
trying a full, skipped the write phase entirely, and of course failed
the verify.  But it sat there and tried for about 30 minutes before it
gave up.

And, like I said, the drive works great on this Amiga.  And I'm trying
to find some clues, any clues, as to what went south in/on linux that
killed it.  I even switched to a flat cable, bypassing the hi-dens db50
on the back panel and that cable, with exactly the same results.

Also, the adaptec card is running an old 850 meg quantum just fine, I
copied it off, erased it, and copied it back without effecting anything
but the fragmentation ratio.

Terminations have been checked and verified many times BTW.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |This Space for rent

From: W R Carr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suprasonic II isi under Red Hat?
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 16:44:25 -0600

On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:57:40 GMT, "Carol Thompson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Judging form the winmodem compatability list at
>http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
>even more specifically
>http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/20000225a.html
>i get the feeling that the modem is supported...
>but i cannot get linux to recognize it... or get it to work via  ppp dial
>config in gnome, netcfg, or the control panel, but i did seem to get an
>initilization from minicom...
>
>was hoping someone here had some experience with it...
>
>thanks,
>
>Zao Jhen

The SupraSonic II is not a winmodem...it is a pair of V.90 modems on
the same ISA card.  I am using on to connect to the I'net right now.
Unfortunately, linux does not yet have support for mpp - multipoint
PPP, so you can use the modems independently for whatever you need,
but you can't bond the channels (yet) as you can in Win9X to get
better throughput on PPP connections.

I've recompiled my kernel so that the serial driver will allow
multiple devices on the same irq.  As you probably know, the
SupraSonic II is a Pnp device, and I've had no problem getting it
configured by isapnp.  However, I did have to upgrade to
isapnptools-1.21b.  The tools that come with Slackware 7.0 are version
1.18, which didn't seem to work with the SupraSonic, or my AWE64,
either.

Regards,
Ray

------------------------------

From: W R Carr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unbuffered RAM vs. Registered RAM
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 16:48:31 -0600

On Sat, 04 Mar 2000 17:37:23 GMT, "Steve Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>With all other factors the same, what is the difference between
>unbuffered and registered RAM?  If there is a performance difference,
>which is the faster of the 2 types?
>
>Thank you.
>

>***** Steve Snyder *****

I can't speak about every motherboard out there, but my Tyan S1598 and
my I-Will P100XA+ specifically state that registered DIMMs will not
work.  Theoretically, registered DIMMs should be faster, but you have
to find a mobo that supports them.

Regards,
Ray

------------------------------

From: estroncio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re-activating RAID disk
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 23:05:39 GMT

I have a RAID-1  using two HD (/dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdc1).
I think I have some problem with the second HD, so I`ll change it. The
problem is that I don't know how re-activate it (which raid-command must

I use to copy hdb1 to hdc1 without use restore/backup).
Someone knows were can I find more information about this?
thanks.

------------------------------

From: Matthew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux hardware problem detector
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 23:11:57 GMT

Hello:

I recently purchased a new computer and put Red Hat Linux 6.0 only on
it. It had some problems so I upgrade to Red Hat 6.1 and had some of the
same problems.

I have used RH 6.0 on older computers so I know that it works.
Are there Linux tools for detecting hardware problems?

My hardware is:

Tyan S1598C2 motherboard (2 M Cache)
64M of RAM
13G Hard-drive.

Symptoms include crashes and core dumps from both Gnome and KDE. At one
point my machine froze. In the message logs there are Kernel Oops.

My first choice of suspects is the memory

Thank You for your assistance.

Matthew Harelick

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 16:20:51 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: setting up multi processors.

Mr Paul wrote:

> i am a new new newbie to linux, so new i haven't even installed it yet. i
> just got an old 486 that i'm going to load with linux so i can dink around
> with it. actually i have two old 486s and know that linux supports
> multiprocessors. i'd like to combine the two chips into one machine... maybe
> this isn't the right place to ask this question.
>
> is this even possible to have two 486dx2 chips (one 50 the other 66) slapped
> into one machine and have linux know what to do?
>
> thanks in advance!
> Paul

There are basically two ways. One is for a single motherboard with
multiple cpu's, the other is for multiple machines networked together.

The use of multiple cpu's on one machine, with each able to do the
same thing, is SMP (symmetric multi processing). Some machines have
dedicated a cpu to non-general work, those are asymmetric, and not
supported in a general way (nor is it common to need it).

Multiple machines are called clusters. There are various clustering
interfaces that can be used, with lots of variations on Beowulf.
Usually this requires more than 2 machines, with one central
controller and several slaves. This is closer to what you are looking
at. Check
http://beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov/
http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/jacek/beowulf/
http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html
http://www.mpi.nd.edu/lam/

------------------------------

From: Willem =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bleym=FCller?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gamepad under Linux
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 01:58:06 +0100

Does anyone know how to install a 6 button Gamepad under Linux??
I thought it would work when i loaded the joystick.o module with insmod,
but then when I tried using it in Heretic II it didn't work.

From: "Daniel Baran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: af
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 16:04:31 -0800

adsfds