From: Eric Hathaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE2 IRQ problem on MB ABIT BP6
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 11:41:14 -0500

andrej antusek wrote:

> I have dual celeron with MB ABIT BP6 and instaled RedHat6.0.
> Kernel (2.2.5-15smp) has problem to inicialize IDE2 during
> booting. This is part of dmesg file:
>
> PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
> hda: IBM-DPTA-372050, ATA DISK drive
> hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)
> hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> hda: IBM-DPTA-372050, 19574MB w/1961kB Cache, CHS=2495/255/63
>
> As IDE2/Master I have conected CDROM. This configuration works
> without any problems under win98 where IDE1 controler has IRQ14 and
> IDE2 controler has IRQ15.
> Can anybody help how to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks
> A.

I'm not sure how to fix your problem, but I think part of it is a
terminology issue:  Linux refers to your first IDE controller as "ide0"
and your second IDE controller as "ide1".  So unless you have an addon
IDE controller card, you shouldn't be trying to tell Linux anything
about "IDE2".

This numbering strategy applies elsewhere in the Linux hardware world,
too.  For example, under Windows/DOS, the first serial port is called
"COM1".  In Linux, it is "/dev/ttyS0".

HTH,
--
Eric Hathaway

From: "Chris Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel Sys, IDE free?
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 10:17:23 -0600

Hello gurus ... I am setting up a Linux box from hand-me-downs
and don't have a hard-disk.  I was thinking to get an Adaptec
SCSI controller and skip having a IDE drive at all.  Is the floppy
is controlled by the IDE card, and does the _Intel pentium 90+
motherboard_ setup need the IDE controller to work properly?
I'd like to do without, and am looking for advice.  Thanks. Chris

------------------------------

From: "Mano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Corel Linux and Intel Pro/100+
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 17:54:26 +0100

Hi,

I have the following problem:

I have Intel Ether Express Pro/100+ and the standard version of Corel Linux.
I downloaded the driver from the intel.support page. Now the problem
is that I cannot install the driver.

It seems that Corel Linux says that its Kernel is 2.2.12 and
the e100.o was compiled for Kernel version 2.2.12-20.And also I've got some
errors
when  running the Make file to build the driver as a loadable module.

Has anyone got this working? If yes, please let me know how.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

    mano

From: Robert Spangler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: what would a good modem for linux be???
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 11:45:15 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> i'm a newbie at linux, i know that linux doesn't support winmodems, so
> which modem do you recommend? also, i have a 3com U.S. Robotics voice win
> modem can i get it to work with RH6.1?  if so how. (i need specs on how)

I too run RH 6.1 and have a 3COM 5610 PCI working here without a
problem.
Might cost a little more but well worth it. If you have PCI go for it.

The opinions expressed above are of my own free thought and should not
be considered to represent the views of my employer, Internet Service
Provider or other interested parties.

Remove 'mapson' to reply via E-mail

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Intel Sys, IDE free?
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 17:06:48 GMT

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000 10:17:23 -0600, Chris Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello gurus ... I am setting up a Linux box from hand-me-downs
>and don't have a hard-disk.  I was thinking to get an Adaptec
>SCSI controller and skip having a IDE drive at all.  Is the floppy
>is controlled by the IDE card, and does the _Intel pentium 90+
>motherboard_ setup need the IDE controller to work properly?
>I'd like to do without, and am looking for advice.  Thanks. Chris

If the motherboard has integrated IDE on it like most do then the floppy
contorller will be on it.  You can disable the IDE parts w/out disabling
the floppy controller.

------------------------------

From: "Edward A. Fredericks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need info on hardware
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 17:12:51 GMT

I'm thinking about getting into Linux.  I'm not sure what kind of hardware
I'll need.  A friend of mind has an old 486 with a cd-rom, but I'm not sure
if it will run Linux.

Right now I'm using Roadrunner as my ISP.  I would like to put the Linux box
in front of my home network and Roadrunner so that I can control access to
my home pc's.  Is this possible and if so how would I do this?  Roadrunner
uses a DHCP for renewal of IP's.  Would I have to assign each windows system
its own IP?

Please respond to my e-mail address as it is hard to get to this news group.

Ed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 11:23:34 -0600
From: Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hot Swapping a floppy drive? and more

hello,

I'm not sure why the hard drive won't boot.  I've installed RedHat 6.1 on the
hard drive a couple of times onto an old IBM 384 meg IDE drive.  The
installation goes without any problems.  When the system reboots and LILO's
about ready to come up, I see

L04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04
 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04
   04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04   etc...
It just fills the screen and scrolls lines of 04 on and on.  This happened with
another older 420 meg drive (that one displayed "01 " instead of "04 " all over
the screen).  I use "check for bad blocks during format" every time.
I put a Red Hat System Disk in the floppy drive and it starts LILO and then
goes to the hard drive and loads up all of the normal linux items.  I've tried
just reinstalling LILO on the current installation but that hasn't worked.

    Curtis

------------------------------

From: "Chris Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Superdisk format: Supported in RH6.0?
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 10:19:27 -0600

Does anyone know if the Superdisk is a supported I/O device in
RH 6.0? (And does it use the IDE controller per above posting?)
Thanks. Chris

------------------------------

From: Paul Tiseo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: Re: VIA vs Intel chipsets - which is better?
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 12:26:32 -0500

In article <T8Qx4.1626$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> All true but VIA,  SIS and Ali do have busmastering EIDE driver problems
> which is the issue.

        So does Intel...
Paul Tiseo, Intermediate Systems Programmer
Birdsall 3, Mayo Clinic Jacksonville
4500 San Pablo Rd, FL, 32224
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- (904) 953-8254

------------------------------

From: Paul Tiseo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 12:27:12 -0500

In article <SEFx4.1070$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Nope.  Don't change the subject.  Read the whole thread.  Do you stand
> behind his assetions that there are no VIA busmastering EIDE problems?

        VIA does. So does Intel, using your DejaNews measuring stick...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 17:31:04 GMT

On Thu, 09 Mar 2000 11:41:14 -0500, Eric Hathaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>andrej antusek wrote:
>>
>> I have dual celeron with MB ABIT BP6 and instaled RedHat6.0.
>> Kernel (2.2.5-15smp) has problem to inicialize IDE2 during
>> booting. This is part of dmesg file:
>>
>> PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
>> PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
>>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
>> hda: IBM-DPTA-372050, ATA DISK drive
>> hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)
>> hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)
>> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
>> hda: IBM-DPTA-372050, 19574MB w/1961kB Cache, CHS=2495/255/63
>>
>> As IDE2/Master I have conected CDROM. This configuration works
>> without any problems under win98 where IDE1 controler has IRQ14 and
>> IDE2 controler has IRQ15.  Can anybody help how to solve this
>> problem?
>>
>> Thanks
>> A.
>
>I'm not sure how to fix your problem, but I think part of it is a
>terminology issue:  Linux refers to your first IDE controller as "ide0"
>and your second IDE controller as "ide1".  So unless you have an addon
>IDE controller card, you shouldn't be trying to tell Linux anything
>about "IDE2".
>
>This numbering strategy applies elsewhere in the Linux hardware world,
>too.  For example, under Windows/DOS, the first serial port is called
>"COM1".  In Linux, it is "/dev/ttyS0".

This board has 4 connectors -- 2 std ide and 2 HPT UDMA66. The mfg does
label them 1-4, just to add to the confusion. I could not get my CDROM
to work with UDMA66 controllers (linux 2-3). I also had to use
'hdc=cdrom' on linux ide1 with the same board.

--
Hal B

From: Paul Tiseo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 12:40:30 -0500

In article <UfQx4.1633$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > To use your "search methods" since you think they are valid means
> >of establishing a point, here are two searches on deja.com:
> >
> >     keywords: IDE & IRQ & VIA & problem = 6100 matches
> >               IDE & IRQ & Intel & problem = 5600 matches
>

> Clueless.  As was already described Deja counts at those levels are
> meaningless.

        Why? At what level are they meaningful? What number range suddenly
makes a query meaningful?

> > What do you make of that, Ron? Intel wins? Seems like 6100
> >complaints vs. 56000 complaints doesn't paint a pretty picture either
> >way. Who wins?
> >
> > You'll probably cop out by saying the search I chose is
> >fundamentally flawed
>

> It is as was previously described in this thread.  Deja counts are only
> real/meaningful when small.

        As I expected: you'd try to find a flaw where there is none. As to
the assertion of meaning and sample size, that was asserted by you and
NOT JUSTIFIED. I disagreed with your assertion. All you are doing more
is adding a filtering by date to get a smaller subset of recent posts
whereas I take a longer, historical perspective which is more accurate
when trying to decide who has a more stable platform. Your querying
isn't more accurate than mine just because you managed to contrive
smaller absolute numbers through timeslicing the query to a thinner
slice.

        Ok, here's some smaller numbers. I added your "genius-only" trick
of date filtering to get the posts within the last TWO DAYS. Can't get
much more timesliced than that. (ie. if someone doesn't understand: same
search adding filter from Mar 7 2000 to Mar 9 2000):

datefilter w/keywords: IDE & IRQ & VIA & problem = 1100 matches
                       IDE & IRQ & Intel & problem = 1400 matches

        What is your interpretation now? Still too big for you, Ron? Give
me an example of one of your "non-idiot" searches, please. According to
your barometer, the number have and are currently running somewhat even
in the race to platform bugs...

From: "James C. Rodger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 17:53:24 GMT

Dean_Kent wrote:

> Neil Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8a6qbt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > The second problem I've had with VIA boards is poor support for certain
> > devices using their busmastering drivers.  For example, the Nakamichi 5x16
> > CD changer hangs up when you try to play audio CD's (using the drivers
> from
> > VIA that were available last month).  I also had problems with one of the
> > Creative DVD players--lots of dropouts even when busmastering enabled,
> > although the Hitachi G2500 DVD player worked perfectly on the same
> computer.
> > So question #2:    is there something unique about the VIA IDE hardware
> that
> > makes it difficult to get compatibility with more devices, or is this just
> > software maturity problem, and when will VIA finally get it right?
>
> This is one that sounds a little odd to me, but perhaps it is because I
> misunderstand how busmastering works...
>
> I would think that busmastering is a 'standard' implementation for all
> devices.   If it works for one, it should work for others as well.   If a
> specific device, however, fails to fully implement the standard, or takes
> advantage of particular peculiarities of a specific implementation - then
> the problem is really with that specific device, true?
>
> As I said, I haven't really investigated busmastering much so it is likely
> that I don't understand something here...

Hi,
I just wanted to comment on this one aspect of this thread.  A
guy named Dave Olson who worked for Silicon Graphics used to post
about SCSI devices in the *sgi* newsgroups.  IIRC, he repeatedly
made this point, that if their (SGI's) controllers and software
correctly implemented SCSI standards, there would often be
problems with particular devices that failed to properly conform
to the standard.  Perhaps that is what's going on with VIA
chipsets/drivers - they may be more rigid in implementing the
standard, causing devices that implement it more sloppily to
fail.

Jim Rodger      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 17:59:23 GMT

Paul Tiseo wrote in message ...
>In article <T8Qx4.1626$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> All true but VIA,  SIS and Ali do have busmastering EIDE driver problems
>> which is the issue.
>
> So does Intel...

At an order of magnitude lower level.

------------------------------

From: "Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 17:59:57 GMT

Paul Tiseo wrote in message ...
>In article <SEFx4.1070$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> Nope.  Don't change the subject.  Read the whole thread.  Do you stand
>> behind his assetions that there are no VIA busmastering EIDE problems?
>
> VIA does. So does Intel, using your DejaNews measuring stick...

Utter nonsense.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wonil Roh)
Subject: Intel CC820 mobo(820 chipset) and UDMA problem
Date: 9 Mar 2000 09:50:02 -0800

hi,

I've been trying to get my new intel 820 motherboard working
with udma support.  Since I have this kernel 2.2.14 compiled in
with dma support, I thought UDMA would be automatically enabled with
my IBM deskstar 20G (DJNA-352030).  But when I do
hdparm -i /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

 Model=IBM-DJNA-352030, FwRev=J58OA30K, SerialNo=GQ0GQ099182
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=34
 BuffType=3(DualPortCache), BuffSize=1966kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=off
 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=-66060037, LBA=yes
 LBA CHS=1023/256/63 Remapping, LBA=yes, LBAsects=39876480
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
 UDMA modes: mode0 mode1 mode2

Clearly none of the udma modes are on now, and i got this slow speed
with hdparm -t /dev/hda,

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 15.37 seconds = 4.16 MB/sec

This is way too slow and just matches PIO mode(4) rather than any of
DMA modes.

dmesg shows:

PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device f9, VID=8086, DID=2411
PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: IBM-DJNA-352030, ATA DISK drive
hdc: WDC AC36400L, ATA DISK drive
hdd: Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 9100, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: IBM-DJNA-352030, 19470MB w/1966kB Cache, CHS=2482/255/63
hdc: WDC AC36400L, 6149MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=13328/15/63, UDMA

Even the old WD drives runs in a udma mode and gives me
hdparm -t /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  6.55 seconds = 9.77 MB/sec

I don't know what's going on, and have been looking all over the
place on the web/newgroups to find the solution, but in vain.
oh, both my mobo and the ibm drive do have udma66 capability, and
I would be just happy to see it working at udma mode 2.

Could anyone out there help me out of this ??

Thanks in advance.

Wonil

------------------------------

From: "Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 18:01:25 GMT

Paul Tiseo wrote in message ...
>In article <UfQx4.1633$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> > To use your "search methods" since you think they are valid means
>> >of establishing a point, here are two searches on deja.com:
>> >
>> >     keywords: IDE & IRQ & VIA & problem = 6100 matches
>> >               IDE & IRQ & Intel & problem = 5600 matches
>>

>> Clueless.  As was already described Deja counts at those levels are
>> meaningless.
>
> Why? At what level are they meaningful? What number range suddenly
>makes a query meaningful?

When the two LSBs are not always both zeroes......DUH.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Kinney)
Subject: Internal tape drive suggestions?
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 18:08:23 GMT

Folks,

Anybody have a recommendation for an internal tape drive (not-scuzzy)
that works reliably with RH Linux 6.0?  Prefer a balance between
capacity and cost.  Total disk space is 13G, but doesn't have to go on
a single tape.

Does anybody have any experience backing up Win95 boxes over a
localnet to the Linux box through Samba?

Thanks, John Kinney