From: Gregory LeBaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux killed my hdd i think
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:34:25 GMT

I've had a similar problem. I fixed it (good news) but don't remember exactly how
(sorry). I do remember
that Partition Magic booted from emergency floppy didn't recognize my partition layout
and gave an error.

I think that I booted with Tom's root boot (http://www.toms.net/rb/)  and then used
fdisk to delete
everything. I was able to reinstall after that. In addition to Disk Druid (previous
follow up) you might
want to try cfdisk. It's easier to use and seems to be more rigorous about legal
partition tables.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: 1: Xvidtune, 2: fix freq monitor
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:30:51 GMT

Thanks,

I am going to save some BNC connector by salvaging a VGA cable from a
broken VGA monitor and solder the ends to the HP 98785A(FF monitor).

BTW, I need to be in console mode to login and startx.  How can I go
around this problem?

Can I start the xserver 1st thing and login?

Tim Foo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "K.Tsakaloglou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Comp.os.linux.hardware Q&A  11 Mar.
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 07:02:04 +0200

Questions and answers from this newsgroup (archived by subject) can be found
at http://server.hellug.gr/LUGistics/en/pub/QA_articles_main.php3
Links suggested are categorized at
http://hq.hellug.gr/~tsakf
K.Tsakaloglou

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:49:48 GMT

Thanks,

I am going to save some BNC connector by salvaging a VGA cable (~1.1 m
long) from a broken VGA monitor and solder the ends to the HP 98785A(FF
monitor). It seems that the bundle have 3 coax (Red;RedGnd,
Green;GreenGnd(Grey coax) , Blue;BlueGnd) The Vsync(Brown);
VsyncGnd(white), Hsync(yellow) are single wiresTHe bundle take the HSync
from the cable outher shield.  Is the Vsync and Hsync signal critical
for timing?  I belive that this cable makes the signal going at
different velocity.  Is this criticalover 1.1 m?

BTW, I need to be in console mode to login and startx.  Will it be a
problem ?

Is it possible I start the xserver 1st thing and login?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ApolloXVIII)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: Re: Idiot of the Year for c.s.i.p.h.c  [was Re: VIA vs Intel chipsets - which
is better?
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 06:24:28 GMT

On 8 Mar 2000 19:19:10 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dale Thompson) wrote:

>Boy, this is a pretty tight competition between the Rambus posters
>and this guy.  I think it's too early to call :)
>
>But his attack on John Howland as a biased VIA guy does score
>a lot of idiot points for Ron!

I think that "Bob Dole", who's posting some nonsensical crap under the
title Stock Market Manipulation every 5 minutes or so, is making a
late run for the title...

>In article <qcxx4.134225$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  says...
>>
>>Wow! You get the "Idiot of the Year Award"!
>>
>>"Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:BOvx4.3555$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>> Site a source for that unsubstantiated claim.

"Well, we COULD grind our enemies into talcum powder with a
 sledge hammer, but gosh, we did that last night."
Xander Harris
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Change XVIII to 18 for real address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: MP3 Players Other Than Rio
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 05:32:33 GMT

Are there any of the portable MP3 players available in North America
aside from the Diamond Rio that can happily communicate with Linux
systems?

--> The Pontis SP503
<http://www.pontis.de/site_e/produkte/pl_503_e_htm> is a German
product that appears somewhat Europe-oriented.  (What's 230 Euro in
USD?)

My agenda is rather oriented towards the question of whether any
support is known of for the RCA Lyra.  It supports CompactFlash cards,
with rather more potential capacity than the 32MB (expandable to 64MB)
of most of the players that are available now.

[Further agenda: I accidentally wound up with a 64MB CompactFlash
card, and wouldn't mind finding it useful for something...]

--
Appendium to  the Rules  of the  Evil Overlord #1:  "I will  not build
excessively integrated security-and-HVAC  systems.  They may be Really

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: lose memory on boot ???
Date: 11 Mar 2000 00:43:03 EST

On Thu, 09 Mar 2000 19:29:32 -0800, Dennis Thompson
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I am running Redhat 6.2beta (2.2.15) on several machines and I am
>experencing a strange problem on one of them.  At POST the bios
>correctly reports 128MB.  When linux comes up the system reports only
>64MB of memory. The log dmesg shows " Memory: 64112k/66496k available"
>
>Does anyone have an idea about what is going on?

Yep.  You didn't read the FAQ or the installation manual for RH. :-)

This is partially a problem with the BIOS and partially a problem with the
kernel.  Some BIOSes report a maximum of 64M when queried about how much
memory they have.  Some can report more than that.  The kernel, to be
safe, believes the BIOS.  You can override this by booting up this way:
  LILO: linux mem=128M
You can edit /etc/lilo.conf and re-run lilo to make this parameter passing
automatic at every bootup; just edit /etc/lilo.conf so that the line
append "mem=128M"
appears before any "image" lines, and then do
# /sbin/lilo
...that should fix it up so that the machine will automagically see 128M
of memory upon boot.  They say kernel 2.4 will eliminate the need for
this semi-annoying hackaround; here's hoping!  HTH.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows        \          In the MS-DOStrix,
There is no Darkness in Eternity   \----\    there is no fork().

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: All-in-one HP OfficeJet R80 under Linux
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 05:30:29 GMT

Hi !

I ahve all-in-one HP OfficeJet R80 (colour printer, scan and copier + B&W
standalone Fax). Any Ideas how to make it work under Linux.
It's not in database of defined prinetrs, so I guess I somehow should
define it manually.

Thanks a lot.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams)
Subject: Re: VIA vs Intel chipsets - which is better?
Date: 11 Mar 2000 05:56:08 GMT

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000 04:19:25, "Ron Reaugh"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Keith R. Williams wrote in message ...
> >
> >Forget it Paul.  Ron picked on the wrong person in this group.
> >Deano is fair game, but he doesn't sell anymore.  Hmmm.
> >
> >It must be lonely over on .storage for Ron to pick fights on
> >chips.  BTW, my favorite tommie is making an ass outof himself
> >over there too.  Too bad I don' thave time to chase.
> >
> >Anyway, I will stand 100% behind John Howland's reputation.
>

> Do you stand 100% behind his assetions that there are no VIA busmastering
> EIDE problems?  Don't try and change the subject;  that's what this thread
> is about!

Stand behind the assertion (yours BTW) that there are no
busmastering problems?  Nope.  I can't do that, though I haven't
seen one for some long time. I know you keep reporting them,
though you admit that you never use anything but Intel.  So be
it.  I've always liked SiS. It's too bad they lost focus.
However, I've never had any problems with my ALi or Via based
boards. ...yes, teething pains, but no more.

----
  Keith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams)
Date: 11 Mar 2000 05:56:20 GMT

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000 05:13:21, Karl Gibbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> A couple of years ago, just before Christmas I got two bad ABIT  PN5
> M/B's in a row from a mail order so I called John Howland on 12/23/98.
> He didn't sell ABIT but one of his suppliers had

ASUS SP97-V's in stock

My all-time favorite board!  ;-)  This was a fantastic board when
no one knew what a good board looked like.  Sniff...  I had to
take mine out of the box to look at it after reading this.  ;-)))
 Come to think of it, I still have my 1598C2 in the box.  I've
worked 40+ straight days and haven't had time to plug it in.

> John charges a little extra on the purchase but provides better value by
> working with you on the order and answering your questions after the
> sale..

Exactly.  Sooner or later people are going to realize that cheap
is, well, *cheap*.  That rating John has is no accident!  ...and
no, I have not added to it.

> I've always respected Dean in the N/G's (one of the few that has a grip
> on the market... both from a consumer and supplier view)  but haven't
> had the opportunity to meet or do biz with him. Give him a few years and
> he will be posting from [EMAIL PROTECTED] ;-)

No, he'll be posting from [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ;-)

> Seen Ron in alot of the N/G's. He gets the same respect here as he gets
> elsewhere.... Give him a few years and he will be posting from
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ;-)

I haven't laughed this hard at a post in a *long* time.  Good
grief Karl, you be *BAD*!

However, I wouldn't wish this on Ron.  JimmyN will likely be
there in my personal hell though.

----
  Keith

------------------------------

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Trouble with RAID controller
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 06:12:15 GMT

In article <0enba8.54i.ln@localhost>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Tempsch) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just got a new machine to play with at work for a while...
>
> Intel L440GX+ w/ 4 550MHz Xeon processors, 4G RAM, 6 18G SCSI-disks on
> an Amaquest CTL-95U2 RAID controller.

Lucky dog...

> This controller is currently config'ed to show these disks as 2 normal
> SCSI disks (~8G and ~78G) using RAID 5. Win2000 came with the system,
> installed on the first 4G of the first (8G) disk and sees both disks
> correctly. Decided to make a test installation of RH6.1 (not my
> decision...) on the remaining 4G... No real problems but the second
> disk (78G) is not found by Linux, not by fdisk, nor at boot time.
> The first is correctly seen as /dev/sda...

/dev/sdb does not exist?  Strange...

> Anyone with any experience on this sort of stuff?
>
> I saw the kernel option 'Probe all LUNs', but the kernel that I made
> with that option on wouldn't work (probably something else I missed)
and
> then I had to leave. Is that option something that might help?

that's for when I single SCSI target has multipe "targets", like a
CD-ROM changer or some such.  Doesn't apply to the controller as a
whole.

> Would reconfiguring the controller to act like one disk be a
reasonable
> option?

That might fix things, but then again maybe not.

> BTW, how much memory can Linux use on this type of card? free only
> reports ~1G RAM (or does free report RAM/processor?)

Recompile the kernel and make sure you allow as much ram as possible.  I
think the toggle is for 2GB or 4GB max.

What is listed in /proc/scsi and /proc/partitions?  Maybe /proc/pci or
/proc/bus/pci (wherever it is now).
        Greg

--
It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (De Clarke)
Subject: Re: ISA PnP Misery, RH 5.1-6.1
Date: 11 Mar 2000 06:21:00 GMT

Rob Clark ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <8a476j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: De Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [..]
: >The cheap ISA ne2k clone card I got was a new kind of ISA, with
: >no dip switches!  ISA PnP, or so it claimed.  Of course there
: >was some floppy disk with WinDope configuration software on it,
: >but I'm a linux purist.  I don't permit the MicroSloth virus on
: >any machine I own.

: Those jumperless ISA NE2000 clones usually have a DOS program to set the
: address/IRQ in an EPROM.  Bite the bullet and boot from a DOS floppy, run
: the setup program, and never worry about it again :)  Windows need not
: enter the picture.

: Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Thanks Rob, but it turned out easier and cheaper to put a PCI
card in there ($10 used at local e-junk emporium).  End of
problem.  Instantly everything worked.  I like PCI :-)

de

:De Clarke, Software Engineer                     UCO/Lick Observatory, UCSC:
:Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | There are only two kinds of computer languages: the :
:Web: www.ucolick.org | ones people hate, and the ones people don't use.--JO:

------------------------------

From: Christopher Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CDROM I/O error
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 06:32:38 GMT

Thanks for the suggestion, you wild and crazy guy! Sorry, couldn't help
but comment on that. Anyway, I'm sure the kernel has the support for both
IDE/ATAPI CD-ROMs and ISO9660. I ran 'cat /proc/devices' and 'cat
/proc/filesystems', both of which yielded the proper results. I hope I'm
on the right track here with this speed difference, otherwise I might be
forced to run Windows 2000 on this system...

Thanks,

Christopher Liu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (De Clarke)
Subject: RH 6.1 Kudzu tool segvs!  Advice?
Date: 11 Mar 2000 06:36:44 GMT

The tale of my adventures with ethernet cards and RH 6.1 is
not quite over.  After stuffing 2 cheap NE2K 10Mbs clones
into my router, I belatedly convinced my DSL provider to
give me the ethernet card they promised with the contract.
This was a Kingston Fast EtherRx 10/100, aka KNE100TX.

>From previous experience w/6.1 I expected something like
this:

        power down
        pull out 1 NE2K clone card
        put in Kingston card
        reboot
        Kudzu says "an NE2K card has disappeared, shall I
                remove configuration?"
        I say "yes"
        Kudzu says "a Kingston card as appeared, shall I
                configure it?"
        I say "yes"
        boot continues
        everything is lovely in the garden

Unfortunately, this pleasant script was not followed.

Kudzu detected the vanishment of one card.  When it went
to remove the configuration, the pause was ominously
lengthy;  and sure enough, a FAILED message appeared after
many seconds, and boot continued... but something was
odd about the rebooted OS.

For example, there was no newline after I typed in my
login name at the prompt.

However, there was an OS.  So, I thought, that was odd,
and the new card didn't get recognized.  I think I'll
shut down again and reboot.

2nd boot:

        Kudzu says a card has disappeared.
        I say "do nothing"
        Kudzu says a new card is there.
        I say "configure it"
        boot continues.

Oh good, I say, perhaps it worked this time.  At least the
login prompt looks normal once again.  And the new card
was recognized.

so I check the ifconfig of the card (eth1).  It looks right;
and I see that in conf.modules, eth1 is now "tulip" instead
of "ne2k-pci".  but I can't see any other hosts on my local
net.  I get "no route to host" and "network unavailable" and
that kind of thing.  and, I notice, the card's Act light is
blinking in an ominous, rapid, metronomic way -- very
much like a hardware error condition.

This is strange, say I.  I think I'll try a power cycle on
the next reboot.  maybe the card was confused by all this
Kudzu weirdness.

So up we come again... looking just like last time.
As soon as the OS configs the card, it starts blinking
and there's no network connection on eth1.

Well, I'm nothing if not curious.  So I run kudzu from the
cmd line prompt.  When it says a card has disappeared, I
tell it to remove configuration, figuring at least I'll
see what the heck it does.

There follows a long depressing pause, full of repetitive
disk-grundling sounds.  Just as I'm getting worried about
a bad sector on the disk, kudzu segv's!  moreover, it
has filled up / completely with an enormous core file
in /var.

After cleaning this up, I throw up my hands and pull out
the Kingston card.  I put the NE2K card back in and reboot.
Everything happy.  Everything works.  Everything is once
more lovely in the garden, except that I now have 10Mbs
instead of 100Mbs to the local net.  darn!

So, dear hardware veterans and gurus, please tell me
what happened and why RH 6.1 could not make use of the
Kingston card -- even though it recognized the chip
set, rewrote conf.modules, and apparently did all
the right things.  And why did Kudzu segv?  Anyone
from RH listening in?

any advice on making the Kingston card work?