  Re: Repost: Audio CD won't play under RH 6.1 (now Mandrake 7.0) ("Dennis L. Garman")

From: "Vincent C. Easley III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Printer Problem
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:12:44 -0600

I have an HP LaserJet 4 Plus hooked up to a Mandrake Linux 7.0 box and
while local printing works great, network printing does not.
The job is copied to the Linux box but will not print.  My print command
in the smb.conf file is:
  print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s

It seems the lpr command will not run.  I have tried changing the print
command to something else like:
  print command = cat %s >> /user/print/printlog.txt; lpr -r -P%p %s

The cat works but not the lpr.  This is all done under domain security.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  Vince Easley

P.S. Here is my smb.conf file for reference.

[global]
netbios name = LINUXSERVER1
workgroup = ADMIN
guest accout = NetUser
security = domain
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
wins server = x.x.x.x
wins proxy = yes
password server = x.x.x.x

[public]
...public share

[LinuxJet]
printable = yes
path = /user/print
print command = lpr -r -P%p %s
printer = lp
printing = BSD
read only = yes
guest ok = yes
guest account = NetUser

------------------------------

Subject: Wierd CDROM problems.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jesse F. Hughes)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:22:08 GMT

Hey ho.

I have a CD-ROM on /dev/hdc and a burner on /dev/hdd.  I use ide-scsi,
because, well, I don't remember but I think I have to for the burner.
Since I upgraded my Slackware distribution last week (from 4.0 to
7.0), I've had regular errors with the CD-ROM drive.

Specifically, I get the following over and over:
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2179, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Read
(10) 00 00 00 00 17 00 00 08 00
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 2179) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.

For variety, I sometimes see:
ide1: reset timed-out, status=0x80
hdc: status timeout: status=0x80 { Busy }
hdc: drive not ready for command
Though, then it goes back to the "aborting" messages.  Because I
cannot umount the cd-rom, I end up having to reset the machine.

I'm not sure I understand my own setup.  Here's what I see in dmesg:

scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: ATAPI     Model: CD-ROM DRIVE-40X  Rev: 404K
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: ATAPI     Model: CD-ROM DRIVE-40X  Rev: 404K
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
  Vendor: ATAPI     Model: CD-ROM DRIVE-40X  Rev: 404K
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr2 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 2
  Vendor: ATAPI     Model: CD-ROM DRIVE-40X  Rev: 404K
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr3 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 3
  Vendor: ATAPI     Model: CD-ROM DRIVE-40X  Rev: 404K
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr4 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 4
  Vendor: ATAPI     Model: CD-ROM DRIVE-40X  Rev: 404K
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr5 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 5
  Vendor: ATAPI     Model: CD-ROM DRIVE-40X  Rev: 404K
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr6 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 6
  Vendor: ATAPI     Model: CD-ROM DRIVE-40X  Rev: 404K
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr7 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 7
  Vendor: RICOH     Model: CD-R/RW MP7040A   Rev: 1.1j
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr8 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
  Vendor: RICOH     Model: CD-R/RW MP7040A   Rev: 1.1j
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr9 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 1
  Vendor: RICOH     Model: CD-R/RW MP7040A   Rev: 1.1j
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr10 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 2
  Vendor: RICOH     Model: CD-R/RW MP7040A   Rev: 1.1j
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr11 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 3
  Vendor: RICOH     Model: CD-R/RW MP7040A   Rev: 1.1j
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr12 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 4
  Vendor: RICOH     Model: CD-R/RW MP7040A   Rev: 1.1j
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr13 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 5
  Vendor: RICOH     Model: CD-R/RW MP7040A   Rev: 1.1j
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr14 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 6
  Vendor: RICOH     Model: CD-R/RW MP7040A   Rev: 1.1j
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr15 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 7
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.55
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr2: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr3: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr4: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr5: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr6: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr7: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr8: scsi3-mmc drive: 20x/20x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr9: scsi3-mmc drive: 20x/20x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr10: scsi3-mmc drive: 20x/20x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr11: scsi3-mmc drive: 20x/20x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr12: scsi3-mmc drive: 20x/20x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr13: scsi3-mmc drive: 20x/20x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr14: scsi3-mmc drive: 20x/20x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr15: scsi3-mmc drive: 20x/20x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

I mount the CD-ROM by mount /dev/scd0.  Am I just choosing the wrong
one (of the 8 phantom drives)?  How do I know what to choose?  What
the heck's wrong?

Also, how can I force a nicer reboot if this problem comes up?  I hate
to reset the machine.

--
Jesse Hughes

"You see 300 of something, anything, and you go `[Man], that's a lot of
stuff.'" -- Jim Bigler, quoted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

------------------------------

From: "David B. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printing with DeskJet PLUS
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:48:35 GMT

Try typing:
 lpr -Plp0 filename

Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Printer Problem
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:31:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Vincent C. Easley III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have an HP LaserJet 4 Plus hooked up to a Mandrake Linux 7.0 box and
> while local printing works great, network printing does not.
> The job is copied to the Linux box but will not print. My print command
> in the smb.conf file is:
> print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
>
> It seems the lpr command will not run. I have tried changing the print
> command to something else like:
> print command = cat %s >> /user/print/printlog.txt; lpr -r -P%p %s
>
> The cat works but not the lpr. This is all done under domain security.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Vince Easley
>
> P.S. Here is my smb.conf file for reference.
>
> [global]
> netbios name = LINUXSERVER1
> workgroup = ADMIN
> guest accout = NetUser
> security = domain
> encrypt passwords = yes
> smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
> wins server = x.x.x.x
> wins proxy = yes
> password server = x.x.x.x
>
> [public]
> ...public share
>
> [LinuxJet]
> printable = yes
> path = /user/print
> print command = lpr -r -P%p %s
> printer = lp
> printing = BSD
> read only = yes
> guest ok = yes
> guest account = NetUser

first thing i'd check is
security on the spool folder (/user/print)
makesure evrybody has writing rights
--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

From: "Frenzy Killa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: LAN transfer speed
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:54:30 +0100

I'm having low transfer speeds between two computers connected through a
single twisted pair cable.

One of them is a dual Celeron 366MHz on an ABit BP6 with 128MB RAM, an IBM
DeskStar 34GXP 27GB 7200RPM U-ATA/66 and a 3Com 3C905C 10/100 NIC running
Windows 2000 Pro. The other is a Pentium 200MHz with 32MB RAM, a Quantum
Fireball ST 6.4GB 5400RPM(not really sure about this) and a 3Com 3C905C
10/100 NIC running Red Hat 6.1.

When I download files from the linux ftp-server to the Win2K box I get a
speed varying between 1500KB/s and 2500KB/s. This to me seems low but still
ok. However when uploading I get a constant speed of 131KB/s. This is
extremely low and totally unacceptable considering that the two boxes are
connected solely through a single TP-cable without sending data through
hubs, switches or the Internet.

I've tried changing the hard drive and NIC in the Linux box to different
brands and models, but still I get the same results. I have also installed
the latest kernel(2.2.14) getting the same upload rate but an even lower
download rate(about 400-550KB/s). I've also tried the latest NIC drivers
from 3Com without further improvement.

I'm quite a Linux newbie, but I do know these rates are way below average
for systems with this sort of hardware. Someone please help me with this.
It'd be a real pity having a Linux server without being able to use its full
potential. I'd really appriciate any help I can get.

------------------------------

From: "res028kf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec ANA 6911 network card
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:58:37 GMT

I too am looking for a driver and/or information on this card.  Any help
would be appreciated.

AJ Reynolds

"Bernd Gliss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

does anyone know of a driver for the above card?  Thank you in
adavance.

Bernd Gliss

* Dr. Bernd Gliss                                                  *
* Max-Planck-Institut für Metallforschung  FAX  +49 711 689 1088   *
* Heisenbergstr. 1                   Telefon +49 711 689 1250      *
* oder Seestr. 75              +49 711 2095 258    *
* 70569 Stuttgart                                                  *
* Deutschland                                                      *
* INET-MAIL                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]      *

From: Janet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: best graphics card?
Date: 21 Mar 2000 11:47:33 -0800

"S. Umar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have NVIDIA GeForce 256 and have been using it with XFree86-3.3.6
> which
> supports it. No problems and it works great!

Have you been able to get it to hardware accelerate in 32-bit color?

Janet

------------------------------

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup,news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Leafnode problems with messages...
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:06:51 -0800

Thanks Eric.

That is a keeper.

Best regards,

Brian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (yong liu)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Newbie question: How to install Zip driver
Date: 21 Mar 2000 20:09:57 GMT

I got a NEC internal IDE zip100 Driver(OEM). I was confused by the hardware
install guide diagram.
It gives two setup configuration:
One is master-slave-cable select
The other is master A --slave A -- Cable select A

Which one should I  use?Slave A or Slave?
I have an HD and a CDROM , both occupied the master port.
Another question:
How can I make my Linux box(MK 7.0) to detect it and mount it?
I don't know which port the zip drvier is allocated. hdb, hdc, or
something else?
 mount -t msdos /dev/??? /mnt/zip
thanks in advance

--

Yong Liu
English mail:                | Chinese Mail:

phone (515)232-0063(H)
      (515)294-7780(O)

Life is like a buffet; it's not good but there's plenty of it.

------------------------------

From: "Ross Contino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: 3com linmodems?  (Winmodem)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:54:03 -0500

=======_NextPart_000_0035_01BF9345.4CDDE420

Hello:

I have been following the traffic about the Linmodem drivers.  Has =
anyone used the Linmodem drivers for Lucent/LT/PCTel successfully with a =
3com modem?  Will this work?

As mentioned before, I have a 3com VSP+ modem.  It is combination =
incoming cable modem, and outgoing analog phone modem.  It is all that =
is offered in my area for fast connection.  I use it beautifully under =
Windows 98 and would like to get it going under Linux.  At least as a =
bidirectional analog modem.

Later,
Ross

=======_NextPart_000_0035_01BF9345.4CDDE420

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#d0d0c8>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hello:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have been following the traffic about the Linmodem =

drivers.&nbsp; Has anyone used the Linmodem drivers for Lucent/LT/PCTel=20
successfully with a 3com modem?&nbsp; Will this work?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As mentioned before, I have a 3com VSP+ modem.&nbsp; =
It is=20
combination incoming cable modem, and outgoing analog phone modem.&nbsp; =
It is=20
all that is offered in my area for fast connection.&nbsp; I use it =
beautifully=20
under Windows 98 and would like to get it going under Linux.&nbsp; At =
least as a=20
bidirectional analog modem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Later,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ross</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: Mark Feller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Disk benchmarking
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:19:02 -0500

I noticed from storagereview.com that there is at times signficant
differences
in performance of a hard drive between Win9x and WinNT.  I will
be purchasing a couple of hard drives in the next couple of months,
which
will go into a Linux box.  I was wondering if there are any comparisons
of disk performance under Linux that I might go to.

Thanks,

Mark Feller

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: RealPlayer 7 beta for Linux  HOW TO INSTALL
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:58:55 GMT

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:14:16 -0500, Jeff East <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       Yes, this is offtopic for a hardware newsgroup...
>
>On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Luc Gysen wrote:
>] RealAudio site... and the filename is something like this:
>] real_7_0_i386_rpm.
>
>] How can I install this file??????
>] Today I saw another file: rp7install.bin
>
>       You must be new to this.  'rpm' means a RedHat style package.  If
>your distribution can handle these (and it probably does), type:
>
>       rpm -i filename.rpm
>
>I have Debian Linux, so I got another file and typed:
>
>       ./rp7_redhat6.bin
>
>...which ran a self-install.
>
>       It says 'redhat6', and I dislike Real.com for having done that.
>It runs fine on Debian 2.1.  What they probably meant was that certain
>versions of certain library files need to be on your machine.  So they
>said 'redhat6' instead of something like "requires glibc 2.0" or "libc 6".
>
>       For those that are interested, this beta software claims to play
>it's native audio/video, wav, mpeg (haven't got to work), and mp3 audio.
>Here are the used libraries on my machine.
>
>       $ ldd /usr/local/RealPlayer7/realplay
>        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4000e000)
>        libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0x400b3000)
>        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x400c7000)
>        libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0x400d3000)
>        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x4011b000)
>        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x401be000)
>        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x401d7000)
>        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x401da000)
>        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
>        libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x401e7000)
>        libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x401f0000)

        It works quite well as an 'external' plugin as well. It's plugin
        install didn't quite work, so I just set it up as an external
        application.

        <command> %s is the general syntax.

        Does anyone know how to setup a 'spoof' plugin for Quicktime?
        Several sites (like starwars.com) don't seem to allow access
        to some files unless you've got a proper quicktime plugin
        (which is nonexistent on Linux).

--

        So long as Apple uses Quicktime to effectively          |||
        make web based video 'Windows only' Club,              / | \

                                Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: "Vincent C. Easley III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:22:19 -0600

Thanks for the reply.  I checked the the directory /user/print and it has
full read,write and execute privliges for everyone.
Still stumped.

Thanks,
  Vince Easley.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Repost: Audio CD won't play under RH 6.1 (now Mandrake 7.0)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:22:35 GMT

> Robert Dwiggins II wrote:
> >
> > Thomas,
> >
> > Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. My audio cd player isn't working
either in
> > RedHat 6.1. Like yours, it comes up and says "no disk". The player
itself
> > is working fine, as I'm listening to it now in Windows 98. The
sound card
> > is a plain-jane SB16 PCI. It configured in RedHat straightaway, and
even
> > played the Linus Torvalds sound clip at the end of the
configuration. The
> > other pressing issue I had was with a Linksys LNE100TX ethernet
card, but I
> > finally got that puppy working after I downloaded a newer version
of the
> > Tulip driver from Linksys's website.
> >
> > In my case, the computer is an Athlon 600 mhz with a Gigabyte 71-X
> > motherboard and 256 megs of RAM.
> >
> > Any hints anyone would have on getting the audio CD players working
would be
> > appreciated.
> I've been following this thread with great interest because I have had
> similar problems with my Ensoniq AudioPCI card. It is detected and I
> can hear Linus. I can also hear system sounds if I activate them, but
> no audio CD sound. No matter which CD player I use (in KDE). I can
> actually see the CD players detect the music and appear to play it. It
> has the lists the number of songs, etc. But no sound. It doesn't seem
> like many others have run into the same problem so I will continue to
> watch this thread. It's a small problem, but an annoying one.
> Rip

I'm starting to find that there are more people than I originally
thought that are having this problem. I've tried the suggestions by
others, yes /dev/hdc => /dev/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom, and yes, sound plays
through the headphone jack, just not through the speakers on the sound
card. I contacted Mandrake tech support and their answer was that the
SB PCI128 is not supported under the latest kernel and that I will have
to wait until someone incorporates it into the kernel. I have one
problem with that. When I run sndconfig, it autodetects the sound card
as Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370 and plays the Linus wav fine; however if I
tell it that I did not hear it and go to manual configuration, I see

Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370 (Soundblaster PCI64 / Soundblaster PCI128)

If it was not supported, why is it listed?!

They (Mandrake) also suggested recompiling the kernel and using the
OSS / Free drivers or the ALSA drivers which are provided on the extra
CD's that came in the Mandrake Deluxe 7.0 boxed set that I bought. I
tried this and the kernel would not compile and the OSS / Free drivers
and ALSA drivers will not compile under the Mandrake version.

I'm lost at this point. I appreciate everyone's input and assistance. I
hope we have managed to narrow it down a bit and can have a solution
soon.

Rip, keep watching. As this post states, it's a repost. It's getting
more attention under the repost than the original post received. I do
agree with you though, this is a minor albeit annoying problem.

Thomas

From: "Dennis L. Garman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 13:46:21 -0700

Don't know if this'll help you guys, but mine won't play either UNLESS I check
the box marked rec in my mixer...Before you  say something, yes I know that that
shouldn't make a difference, but it does on my RH6.1 machine.
HTH
Dennis

BP6
2 366 @ 550