From: "Joseph J. Henzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Pavilion 4440 - Can anyone shed some light?
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:19:51 -0500

I also have the HP Pavilion 4440

So far after installing WinLinux, there are a few problems.

The adapter is the 5597 (look in your windows device driver settings, it'll
say firmware version - 5597 )

The 5597 is listed in almost every hardware list for the X servers, KDE
(which comes with WinLinux) and what not.

But I'm getting some strange problems with the pixels. When I drag anything,
an Icon, a window, or even moving the scroll bar - all of the pixels in the
moved area become just garbage.

But! - It is a problem, there could be a fix - I am new to Linux (2 Day) - I
don't know. If anyone knows, please, let me know @ [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If anyone else has installed Linux on there HP Pavilion 4440 or like
computer, please let me know anything I might need to know.

http://imalamer.homepage.com
http://imalamer.vstorecar.com
http://imalamer.vstoregifts.com
address!

TJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:38d843c3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have an HP Pavilion 4440 with the video RAM set in the BIOS.  I.e., 64
MB
> machine, with 60MB devoted to processing and 4MB used as video memory.
>
> Display adapter is a thing called an (Silicon Integrated Systems) SiS
> 5597/5598.
>
> I'd like to install Debian/GNU Linux.  From what I've read, I'm thinking
his
> BIOS enabled memory sharing seems like it will wreak havoc with Linux.
Can

------------------------------

From: "Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Which of these Ethernet Cards?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:27:24 GMT

Get DLINK! so far the best NIC I have seen! Strange
that it's so inexpensive. The ones sold here are about 50$ca.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Christopher Bream <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: accessing ntfs partition
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:30:03 GMT

On 3/22/00, 10:11:40 PM, Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote=20
regarding Re: accessing ntfs partition:

> Christopher Bream wrote:
> >
> > I want to be able to access the NTFS partition as my normal user.  I=
=20
mean, I
> > can always su and then grab the stuff I need but that's such a pain
> > and I really don't want to log in as root every time.  I played with=

> > fstab but couldn't figure much out there.  Any help would be greatly=

> > appreciated.

> What does your fstab entry look like for the drive? I have something
> like this for my VFAT partition:

> /dev/hda1       /corinth        vfat
> noexec,dev,suid,ro,uid=3D500,gid=3D100,perm=3D644 1 1

> Mark Bratcher
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles. Use Linux!

Thanks for the tips guys but I still cannot access it with a user=20
other than root.  After I mount the drive, it still says "access=20
denied" when my regular user tries to get into it.  Is there anything=20
else I need to do?  I just changed my fstab file and then mounted the=20
drive.  As soon as I mount it, all the permissions change to root use=20
only.  Thanks again.

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.misc,comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Re: True requirements for Lexmark Optra Color 40 SIMMs?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:37:09 GMT

Dan Harkless <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Grant's database entry:
>     http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/show_printer.cgi?recnum=60800
> just says "Uses generic 72-pin FPM DRAM SIMM (EDO also works)".  Posts on
> these groups were similarly vague.  A Southern California OS/2 User Group
> article (<http://www.scoug.com/os24u/1998/scoug810.2.ink.html>), however,
> says:
>
>   And even tho' they say the SIMM's are standard, they aren't
>   quite. 50NS instead of 60NS for one, and also most standard SIMMS
>   are too high to let you put the printer's cover back on after
>   installation.

> Is this true?  Does the RAM really need to be 50ns?  pricewatch.com
> only has a single 50ns category, and that's EDO 256MB.  I don't see
> any 50ns FPM 64 MB.

So pricewatch is a fine thing, but only if you ignore the categories.
You have to search by part numbers and descriptions.  They're terrible
about sorting things into categories or maintaining proper categories.

> Perhaps Lexmark's SIMM is really 50ns but 60ns (and 70ns??) will
> work?  What happens when you install a SIMM that isn't fast enough?
> Will it slow down the device, or is it a case of "either it'll work
> perfectly or it won't work at all"?

I've gotten about three or four reports of people just sticking in
random memory and having it work fine.  I rather doubt that anyone has
random memory of the 50ns variety; everyone pretty much used 60 or
70ns until EDO and SDRAM flavours of RAM came along.

I'm using 60ns FPM memory just fine.  My SIMM consists of 8 TI chips
part number TMS417400.  Datasheet:
http://www-s.ti.com/sc/psheets/smks881b/smks881b.pdf

I know a few people who bought new memory from buy.com to go with the
thing, but they all got 16MB simms.  16MB appears to be enough to
print the LaTeX documents, Netscape output, and photos that I usually
print, and I've had no reports of insufficient memory from anyone
else.  What sorts of documents are you printing?  If it's things like
these, then I see no reason to tear your hair out looking for a
suitable 32 or 64MB SIMM when we've demonstrated several 16MB SIMMs
that will solve the problem.

> Seeing that going with the commodity EDO RAM apparently wasn't going
> to help, I looked at the FPM stuff.  Here the cheapest thing was a
> 64MB 60ns FPM 16x32 SIMM for $81.  When I inquired, however, I was
> told that its refresh rate was 4K, which would "only work with
> computers made within the last year".  I was told I needed 2K, which
> this particular retailer didn't have.

Where is one going to find a computer made this year that takes old
dram at all?  Curious.

> Now, first off, is it true that with EDO I want the highest <n>K
> number possible, but with FPM I want the lowest possible?  The Optra
> Color 40 was apparently released 1998-07-15, so if the people I
> talked to were correct, it won't work with the current refresh
> rates.  I'm sure those time windows were approximate, though, and
> they were talking about "computers", and this is a printer, so the
> same rules may not apply...

So I attempted to look up various components on the board, hoping to
find out something useful.  The 4MB that the printer comes with are
found as two Micron chips.  They are 1Mx16bit 5V EDO 50ns 1K refresh
chips.  See http://www.micron.com/mti/msp/pdf/datasheets/d52.pdf
and the line overview at http://www.micron.com/mti/msp/html/dramds.html

If we assume that the approved expansion memory consists of chips from
the same family as the built-in RAM, then you would use the Micron
memory module MT16D832M-5X or ...G-5X, which consists of 16 4Mx4 50ns
EDO DRAMs with a 32ms/2K line refresh cycle - presumably parts
MT4C4M4E8-5 from the line overview.  However, as this module contians
16 chips, one wonders if it'll fit in the box.

All of Micron's 64Mb DRAM chips appear to be 3.3V, so we can assume
that the Lexmark SIMM either doesn't use Micron chips or uses a great
many of them.

> Does anyone know what the real requirements are for a 64MB upgrade
> for this beastie?  Kingston, like Lexmark, lists a special-purpose
> SIMM for use within the Optra.  Unfortunately their web site
> apparently doesn't allow you to get the specs on that part, but they
> only offer it for use within Lexmark printers.

So the closest match to the memory soldered into the printer from
Kingston's generic memory line is KTM8X32L-50ET, a 50ns EDO SIMM.  All
the Kingston 32MB modules cost $113 from them, including the special
KTM-E310 modules (the E310 is another Lexmark printer; they obviously
made a dozen or so printers with the same basic 33MHz i960-based
design), so we can't match prices to see if that's the same as a
KTM-E310/32.  You might try calling Kingston and asking.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Linux Printing HOWTO:  http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/

------------------------------

From: Paul Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH6.1 won't detect SCSI CDROM
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 22:45:29 -0600

I am trying to install RedHat 6.1 on an Intergraph TD3 (from about
1995).  It will not boot from the CDROM, so I have to use the RH boot
floppy.  The install process starts, but, when I choose to install from
CDROM it cannot detect the device, and asks me what driver to use.

I choose the NCR 53C8xx option, which is what the manual of the computer
says is the SCSI controller.  RH responds by saying "Loading NCR
53C8xx", then drops me right back to the "Choose what type of CDROM"
screen.

According to the RH docs, this controller is a Tier 2 supported device,
and should work.  Are there optional parameters I need to add when
choosing the driver?  If so, I have no idea what they are - nothing is
mentioned in the Intergraph manual about that.

Can anyone help me figure out how to detect the CDROM, so I can continue
with the install?

Thanks,
Paul Phillips

------------------------------

From: Paul Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH6.1 won't detect SCSI CDROM
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:22:27 -0600

A little more information --

DOS detects the drives fine, and notes it on startup.
In DOS, I can cd \d to get to the floppy, and can examine its contents.

However, once I start the Linux boot floppy, it will not see the SCSI bus.
I tried
(just for grins) choosing to install from the hard drive (rather than the
cdrom.
It told me there are no hard drives
attached to my system!  (there are two, on the SCSI bus, and both show up
when booting
under DOS).  Hmmm

Paul Phillips

------------------------------

From: "Shannen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Timer Interrupt
Date: 24 Mar 2000 05:38:01 GMT

Hi to all

        Is there anyway to program timer interrupt of 1 millisecond to about a
nanosecond in Linux?

Thanks for the reply
Shannen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 00:22:46 -0600
From: Mark Rinaudo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem and Mouse Irq conflict

I'm new to the linux world but very interested. I've got a hayes ISA pnp
modem it configures just fine with the isapnp program
but for some reason the modem and my mouse (on com1) are competing for
the same irq maybe because the modem is installed on com3. Is there a
way to move the modem on com4 to use the other irq? I've tried several
things but just cant seem to move the modem over to com4. At boot up the
initialization of the serial ports only shows com ports ttyS0-ttyS2 no
ttyS3. Any help would be greatly appreciated because what fun is a
computer without the internet!

Thanks Mark

------------------------------

From: Jaroslaw M Myszewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Memory Configuration
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 01:20:47 -0500

Howdy.  I'm wondering how an administrator can set certain shared memory
ranges from being allocated.  Here's my problem.  I have RH6.2 with
Adaptec 2940 U2W PCI card and Pinnacle Turtle Beach ISA sound card.  These
two devices use memeory ranges right next to each other. Adaptec card
(according to adaptec) uses occasionally more memory then needed, gets
into the Pinnacle Memory area and you know the result.  In NT and other MS
os'es that is resolved by specifically reserving extra memory range for
Pinnacle. Question: Is there, and if there is, what is it way to do it
under Linux.  I'm having resource conflict on my sound card. Again, these
two devices use memory next to each other.  How could I tell Linux to
make adaptec
 use a memory a little bit higher or how could I make certain memory
range above Pinnacle range (around 35 KB above range of
0xc00d8000-0xc00dffff) 'locked - not for
allocation'?
Thanx,
Jarek Myszewski
   "We win half the battle when we make up our minds to take the world as
                        we find it, including the thorns."

                           - Orison S. Marden

   Jaroslaw Myszewski                 http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~myszewsk
                   State University Of New York at Buffalo

From: William Ng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdrom problem
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:03:58 -0800

Hi all,

I guess I am still having problem with my cdrom.
I did do some looking in the /proc/ide/ide1/hdc.
There are some files under this directory. They are:
capacity, driver, identify, media, model, settings.

The content of driver, media and model make sense
to me. But the capacity contains 2147483647. Can
somebody tell if this is what supposed to be. I thought
the capacity of a cd is about 650M, not as big as this
number. I also checked into another directory
/proc/ide/ide0/hda which is my first hard drive, the
number there seems to be consistent with the
size of my disk.

Thanks.

-William

------------------------------

From: "Greg Fortune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI 128 SB
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:44:44 -0800

Check the actually number printed on the card.  If it says CT4750, you are
flat out of luck.  The CT4750 (Asian OEM model sold by some American
companies) uses the new ES1373 chipset for which a driver has not been
developed yet.  If there is a driver for the ES1373 now, I would appreciate
the correction.  It's reported that the OSS drivers have support the the
ES1373 chipset, but will cost you $20.
Good luck,

Greg Fortune

news:7GgC4.61219$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Greg Fortune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster PCI-128
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:45:55 -0800

See my reply to a similar question above.  Creative has thrown yet another
chipset at us  (ES1373)

Greg Fortune

Kristian Duus Østergaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> D Grimm wrote:
>
> > bryant wrote:
> >
> > > I cannot get my Sound Blaster PCI-128 sound card to work on Red Hat
Linux
> > > 6.1.  I tried using sndconfig, it detects my sound card as a ES1371.
Is
> > > there anything else I can do?
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Try using the alsa drivers.  You can get them at www.alsa-project.org/
Make

------------------------------

From: "Greg Fortune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with SB PCI 128 configurations and conflicts with ATI Xpert 2000 ???
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:51:16 -0800

lol, good luck my friend.  When Creative Asia sends me the info I need, I'll
post a full report on our card here and on alt.os.linux.mandrake.  You are
correct about the CT4750.  The chipset is a new one, ES1373, that I don't
believe any drivers have been developed for yet.  The OSS drivers are
reported to work, although I haven't tried them myself yet.  They will cost
you $20.

Greg Fortune

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8bbi7e$vke$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> please help me I bought a SoundBlaster PCI 128 card and I can't get it to
> work ??? the chipset should be ES-1370 / ES-1371 BUT it is not !!!! it's
> CT-4750 ???
> the windows recognizes it well as SoundBlaster PCI 128 though ???
> the autodetection under the linux results in Ensoniqe PCI 97 ( ES-1371 )
> using different programs from sndconfig (RedHat) Lothar(Mandrake) , and
OSS

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:09:28 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Robotics 56k faxmodem giving problems

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If this is covered in a FAQ then I appologize.  I
> tried searching for the comp.os.linux.hardware
> FAQ on a few search engines and couldn't find it.
> I am having problems with my modem under Linux.
> I have a Pentium 166 on a trition mb with 64MB
> RAM, 6.4 GB EIDE HD, Voodoo 3 2000 PCI video
> card, Soundblaster 16 and my modem is a US
> Robotics 56k faxmodem internal ISA Model No.
> 5687. I have set the jumpers for /dev/ttyS1 IRQ
> 3. I did a cat /proc/interrupts and IRQ 3 was not
> taken.

I hope you didnt just take irq 3 b/c it wasnt showing up in
/proc/interrupts. You need to have the modem using the same irq as it is
in windows. If not then linux cant find it and will report the modem
isnt responding.

> My card has a UART of 16550A so there
> were no problems with that.  My computer is
> running Redhat 6.1.  I downloaded October GNOME
> and the Redhat bug fixes for ppp and rp3.  When
> ever wvdial tries to dial out it gives the error
> that the modem is not responding but checking the
> settings for /dev/ttyS1 it gives back the correct
> information and the modem works under windows(it

Try using minicom and see if the modem responds with that. If you know
how echo some AT commands, either in minicom or the command line, to the
modem and see if the modem responds with "OK".

--

               Powered by SuSE Linux 6.2, Kernel Version
2.2.10

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:10:30 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Finding Out What Kind Of Backup Tape Unit I Have.

mike wrote:

> Hi,
>     I inherited an old computer with a scsi backup tape unit.
> When the system boots up it says that the unit is an
> Archive Viper 150. Does anyone know anything about it?
> I would like to know what kind of tape it uses and its capacity
> and the drivers necessary to run it.
>
>                                     Mike

why dont you do research on it like everyone else would for something
they got but didnt know what it was?

Maybe the sticker on the drive itself migh tgive you info too if it
hasnt worn off yet.

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:12:35 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internal Modem for Linux

Michael Barth wrote:

> I am looking for an internal Modem which is working under Linux. I have
> found a Modem (Elsa Microlink 56k PCI) but my vendor could only tell me
> that it is working under MS. Is there anybody out there who can tell me
>
>         1. Is Elsa Mircolink 56k PCI working under Linux and under which
> conditions?
>
>         2. Are there other internal Modems which I can use together with Linux?

If you are looking for PCI goto actiontec.com. I got my modem there
($100) and it works like a charm. Says on teh box and on the website it
works with dos, win3.1, linux, etc.  They also give you instructions on
how to configure it in linux. Cant go wrong with it, has some extra
features like call waiting too.  if u got the money get this modem.