From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Maestro 2E driver!
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 09:53:04 GMT

Just another "stupid" question regarding this driver.

Is there any chance to get this working with a 2.0.36 kernel?

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

From: Alexis Bilodeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISA internal PnP modem configuration
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 02:23:53 GMT

hi all,

I know that this issue has been discussed in the group before, but I
just don't understand how to do...
I have a Cirrus Logic v.34 PnP (fax/data/voice) ISA modem.
My BIOS detects it at boot time (Cirrus Logic v.34 blablabla modem
detected)
Linux init system finds three serial ports (two on irq 4 and one one irq
3) which are all UART16550
But, neither kppp nor minicom can detect the modem.  There's no
response.
Two questions : how do I know which I/O and IRQ to use in isapnp.conf ?
vgetty always starts at boot up (it doesn't word properly, but it locks
the modem)...  how can I manage to stop it starting at boot up? (i must
kill it every time I want to test the modem with other programs, and it
respawn all the time...)

Alexis Bilodeau
    ----

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mjd440)
Subject: Re: HP Pavilion 4440 - Can anyone shed some light?
Date: 27 Mar 2000 02:44:38 GMT

I'm running RedHat 6.1 on my HP Pavillion. I had to add the following options
to my XF86Config file (video card section) to get my SiS5597/8 to behave
itself-

     Option "no_bitblt"
     Option "no_imageblt"
     Option "sw_cursor"

RedHat 6.1 comes with X.3.3.5, so if your running a different distribution, you
might want to check that  the revision is current.
I also uncommented a few other video card Options, but I can't recall which
ones they were off the top of my head.  I seem to recall the ones I added
manually made the difference (I had the same problem).  Good luck.

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.misc,comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Re: True requirements for Lexmark Optra Color 40 SIMMs?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 03:18:06 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Fox) writes:

> I'm doing the Ghostscript solution at one site for an Epson Stylus
> 800 right now. The results of the Ghostscript run are not as good in
> terms of quality as printing directly to the printer from a
> PC. Colors are a bit wrong [...]

Which driver are you using?  The Gimp-derived Ghostscript Stylus
driver is reputed to produce *better* color than the "official"
Windows driver on many Styluses; you should try it.

Compile version 3.1.2 or later into Ghostscript.  See
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

> Ghostscript is a very good little program for looking at things on
> the screen, but it's definitely Not Ready For Prime Time versus a
> real Postscript printer implementation in terms of using it as a raw
> color printer engine.

Ghostscript itself is actually a very good Postscript engine.  The
fact that 75% of the color printer drivers for it are poor shouldn't
be held against it...

> My main interest right now is for an office where I've replaced
> their NT file server with a Linux/Samba server. Fast and
> FABULOUS. But while I was at it, I wanted to handle printing
> better. So they all spool through the Linux/Samba server, but the
> GhostScript to Epson conversion is less than perfect and they are
> complaining about quality. Keep in mind this is an office with a
> bunch of Windows PC's, can't have things be too complicated on their
> side of it. Also I'd rather have the PostScript engine back where it
> belongs in the printer and not on my Samba server.

So in this configuration (I gather these are Win9x clients?) the
"best" scheme might be to use the automagic driver download facility
in Windows and Samba to let all your clients run the Epson-provided
proprietary driver.  This gives you proper printing with no new
capital cost.  Consult a good Samba book for info on setting the magic
download up.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Linux Printing HOWTO:  http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/

------------------------------

From: Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: latest 2.3.99-pre3 won't boot on I-OPENER
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 03:24:45 GMT

very very strange...

2.2.13 (from slackware 7.0) boots just fine on the i-opener (winchip
style cpu; not sure if that matters or not).

but when I use lilo to boot 2.3.99-pre3, it just hangs.  lilo doesn't
even get very far, it hangs within 1-2 seconds of printing '...'
(dots).  again, 2.2.13 works just fine: lilo loads to completion and
the kernel/system works.

anyone else have any ideas?  I've rebuilt the kernel (2.3) SO many
times; trying 586 then 486 now I'm even trying 386 (as the cpu type).

note that I'm creating the system on my main desktop system.  I mount
the 2.5" i-opener drive as my main /dev/hda1 and boot from a floppy.
then I run lilo to create the MBR.  then I remove the floppy and
reboot from the notebook drive.  works just fine on my desktop system
(celeron 300a on a BX system).  but when I take that very notebook
drive over to the i-opener, it will STILL only boot 2.2 and not
2.3. ;-(

HELP!!

--
Bryan, http://Grateful.Net (ANTISPAM: email is my name at my web's domain)

(c) 2000.  Publishing and/or relaying of this material on all forums other than
USENET implies agreeing to a consultancy fee of US$150 per posting.  You must
obtain a written permit before you publish.  Violators are subject to civil
prosecution for Copyright Infringement as applicable.  Publication by C|NET
and Microsoft Networks expressly prohibited.

------------------------------

From: kjt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AMD k6 500 or Celeron 500
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 23:06:37 GMT

i can get an amd 500 for $70 or Celeron for $110, installed on an ASUS
p5sa-b, which is a better chip
thanx to all

karen t

------------------------------

From: Niann Shiang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound card problem:  Ensoniq ES1371 audio PCI-97 chip set
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 23:28:39 -0500

I think you need to install OSS from your CDROM and add a few lines related to OSS
in etc/modules.conf.  And remember to increase sound volume in the OSS since the
default has no sound out. If you would  like to know changes I made in
modules.conf, please let me know.  However, I have absolutely no idea what exactly
each line is supposed to do.  Just going thru trial-and-error to make it work.

------------------------------

From: "Alex Lam." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Does SuSE-linux or FreeBSD supports Turtle Beach sound card?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 22:07:54 -0800

Hi,

     Can't find info on SuSE's hardware db.  Does anybody knows if ALSA
or OSS supports Turtle Beach sound card?  If it does, which model?

     Linux kernel 2.2.x, or FreeBSD 3.3. (I bought the official SuSE 6.3
CD set, I believe the ALSA is in there and paid for.)

     Thx.

Alex Lam.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Becker Cuellar)
Subject: Re: Linux modem......
Date: 27 Mar 2000 05:15:00 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Pete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Just finished installing Linux on my old 486 computer.What I need is a
: modem that will work.Any ideas?The modems that I installed are not
: recognized.I try a 56k and a 33.6.No good.Thank you

Check the list at
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

  Cheers

   Becker Cuéllar

       ¦             ¦  /           ¦   KD4NFF
       ¦--, ,--, ,-- ¦/   ,--, ,--  ¦   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       ¦__| |--' |__ ¦ `\ |--' |    ¦   http://www.bsc-usa.com
            `--           `--     ® ¦   95'525i & 97'911 C4S

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dale Pontius)
Subject: Re: Matrox Millenium G400
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:12:03 -0500

In article <38dd747a$5$ovryyvat$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Two questions in serial:
>
> Does anyone have the G400 working in Linux?  I have SuSE 6.3 and will
> probably be using KDE if not X11.

Yep, no problems.

> Iff you have the G400 can you adjust the vertical refresh rate to
> something (anything) other than 60Hz?  72Hz or better would be optimal,
> IMO.

X picks the highest-frequency modeline that the hardware can
handle. Unfortunately, my monitor couldn't handle some of what
the card could, so I had to comment a few out. But there doesn't
appear to be a Windows-like way to adjust, at least not with
xf86config.

Dale Pontius

------------------------------

From: "Alex Lam." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Best Video Card w/tv/mpeg2/dvd/capture for SuSE /FreeBSD?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 23:24:57 -0800

Hi,

     Building a new multi-media entertainment box.

     What is the best and reasonable priced video card (around $250.us)
for Linux kernel 2.2.x, or FreeBSD3.x?

     My preferal linux distro is SuSE. (have official 6.3 CD set and
FreeBSD 3.3 CD set.) But can't find info on either sites'  hardware db
about the hauppauge based tv card - which I think is supported by linux
at least.

     How about ATI Rage Fury AGP 32MB 128BIT TV-OUT card?

     Toshiba or Creative DVD drive? (play back mpeg movies with XMOVIE
1.3. Had an old Creative Dxr2-but it just dies.)

     Or any other advice/suggestions are welcomed.

Thx.

Alex Lam.

------------------------------

From: "Greg Fortune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI 128 SB
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 22:14:53 -0800

Actually, I had a long conversation with Creative (couldn't believe they
actually talked to me) and they said the card is basically the same as the
Vibra 128.  They also told me it is an Asian OEM model and they thought it
used the ES1373 chipset.  Until now, I'd never heard that anyone had got a
ES1373 working and am surprised that the ES1371 driver worked.  The general
feeling I get from the postings of others with a CT4750 makes me think that
it's not just me having the card misconfigured.

Greg Fortune
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: IgoR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.periphs.scsi,it.comp.hardware.scsi,linux.dev.scsi,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Adaptec ADP1505A  and Linux RH6.1 SCSI
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 23:01:44 -0800

I would like to use my SCSI CDWR on my Linux box
( stock RH6.1  kernel 2.2.12-20 ).
More than a week I am trying to make my SCSI card running.
I have Adaptec AHA1505A card. It is an ISA card.
It does not matter what I do , I am not able to load module
for this card.  I am always getting  the following
message:

/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/scsi/aha152x.o: init_module: Device or resource
busy

According to info I have the correct module for this card is
'aha152x.o'.

What did I try to do  'til now:

- I did try to set ALL combinations of addresses and IRQs
  using 'pnpdump' and 'isapnp'. 'isapnp' recognizes
  the card and sets IRQ. The output of the 'isapnp' is
  ADP1505/849934698[0]{SCSI Controller }:
  Port 0x340; IRQ10 --- Enabled OK
- I did try to put an append line into lilo.conf
  The line was : append="aha152x=0x340,11,7,1,1"
  Yes, I did try other combinations also. I was able
  to boot the system without any error messages,
  but 'lsmod' did not show module 'aha152x.o' loaded.
- I read ALL available RTFM I found on the NET,
- I read SCSI-HOWTO
- I read a lot of messages related to the 1505 on deja.com

BUT

I am still 'lost'...  I am not able to load that
SCSI module..

Any hint, link, advice, URL, pointer is more than
welcome

Thanks

Igor

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Removable-media IDE drives question
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 07:25:27 GMT

SomeGuy wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I'm currently working towards building a PC (AMD K7 Athalon 700 Mhz with
> an ASUS K7V motherboard) and I want it to have multiple operating systems
> (Red Hat Linux, NT, Windows 2000 and W98). It was suggested that I use
> multiple hard drives over System Commander due to the fact that Windows at
> some point and time will need to be re-installed (and I like to do this
> every so often anyways-kinda like a good enema) and it may be easier with a
> removalbe hard drive.
>
>   According to Red Hat "Most removable-media IDE drives are not compatible
> with Red Hat Linux; this includes the removable IDE drives by Syquest."  Has
> anybody had any success using removable media with Linux? If so who is the
> manufacturer and what is the model of your unit?

Syquest EZ135 removable-media IDE drives work great in the Linux 2.0
kernels.
They are recognized (without special kernel parms or DEFINES) and
properly supported. I don't see why they wouldn't be supported in more
recent kernels.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: Marc Desgeans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Mounting a CDROM with 2 file-systems
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 07:25:08 GMT

Well, i've found myself the answer, but it may be interresting for others.
The kernel (2.2.13) documentation for the isofs filesystem gives an option
to mount, that is not documented in the mount manpage, session=<session
number>, allowing to mount the mount the session you like.

Marc Desgeans wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> My problem may be difficult to understand. I have a data CD-R with 3
> tracks burned on it. The first 2 tracks where burned in a multi-session,
> thus building 1 iso9660 filesystem. The guy who burned the 3rd track
> forgot to turn the multi-session on, thus probably building a new
> iso9660 filesystem on the CD. Now i have the following interesting
> behaviour:
>
> Mounting the CD with linux provides access to the 3rd track only, i.e.
> the 2nd filesystem. I also get the message (dmesg output):
>   ISOFS: changing to secondary root
>
> Mounting the CD with Solaris 2.6 or OpenBSD gives me access to the 1st
> filesystem.
>
> However i could not manage to tell the mounter which root it shall use.
> To my understanding, i have a CD with several partitions on it. Does
> anyone have an idea how i could access the 1st filesystem under linux?
> I've tried the -L <label> option from 'mount', using the label of the
> first filesytem, but without success.
>
> Marc

  Marc DESGEANS (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Senior Software Engineer

  Austrian Aerospace Ges.m.b.H. (http://www.space.at)
  Stachegasse 16
  A-1120 Vienna, AUSTRIA / EUROPE
  Tel.  : +43-1-80199/5751
  Fax   : +43-1-80199/5577
  This email is for information only!

From: Pedro Tiago Lopes Matos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New to Linux, don't know about my modem, help please.
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 20:03:58 -0800

Hi,

I've just installed RHLinux6.1 andI've been trying to detect my modem
for dial-up connection.
I have a Diamond SupraExpress 33.6K Internal ISA Modem installed on my
PC. Does anyone know if it is a winmodem, Linux just can't take?

Thank you,

Pedro Matos

------------------------------

From: "John Wehler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Amiga Linux with Picasso II
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 23:24:22 -0600

Any Amiga/Linux users with a Picasso II? I'm getting a 120K chip ram error?
Any clues?

JLW

------------------------------

From: "Marius" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dual boot with Win2k???
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:09:15 +0200

Read the Linux+ntloader HOWTO on booting Linux from the Windows2000 boot
menu. It is a part of the LDP. This howto was meant for WinNT but the
principles remain the same. Also see if you havent got some kind of
Bios-based anti-virus. These things tend to resist changes to the MBR.

<snip>
>Normally I would install NT4, then Linux, and have Lilo written to the
>MBR, and choose my OS from there.
>It seems things may have changed with Win2k :-(   In that during the
>installation process, and I have the choice of where to install lilo,
>it wont let me choose the MBR option, or even to locate it on the
>Linux partiton.
</snip>