Linux-Hardware Digest #577, Volume #12           Thu, 30 Mar 00 11:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Problems configuring NIC ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Monitor frequency (Holger)
  Re: UDMA66 and new computers (Petri Lehtonen)
  help... i don't know how to install my sound card.... ("Leung")
  Re: free Linux installation CD (Steve Martin)
  Re: BP6: Linux hangs on dma66 HD access (Petri Lehtonen)
  Re: help... i don't know how to install my sound card.... (Chris Webb)
  Re: Utility to see a SCSI disk before it has been formatted and mounted (Lilia Vogt)
  HP Colorado 8GB on SuSE (john green)
  Sound problem related tot user vs. root ("Niels")
  Re: another newbie, another modem (Rob Clark)
  Re: Looking for the "right" SMP Linux motherboard ... (aggressive hobbyist use) (The
Mad Dark Elf)
  Abit BP6, HPT366 and UDMA/66 (was: Looking for the "right" SMP Linux  (Petri
Lehtonen)
  Re: Adaptec AAA-133U2 U2SCSI Raid PCI
  Re: UDMA66 and new computers (Edward L. Hepler)
  Re: latest 2.3.99-pre3 won't boot on I-OPENER (bill davidsen)
  Re: Help, diamond suprasonic DSL modem under redhat (Rod Smith)
  Re: Linux sucks (Jan Knutar)
  Re: latest 2.3.99-pre3 won't boot on I-OPENER (Bryan)
  Linux kernel 2.2.xx (Claude Hecker)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problems configuring NIC
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:11:11 GMT

In article <gJyE4.14761
$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Chris Keating <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message
> news:8bt57t$2pn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I have a Houston Technologies motherboard
that has a built in NIC by
> > Davicom. I am able to get the card configured
and the network up and
> running
> > at the command prompt. At boot, a
message "Delaying eth0 intialization"
> > occurs. I have narrowed the problem to the
NIC module not be loaded at
> boot
> > (i.e., lsmod indicates the module is not
running).

> > My question:
> >
> > How do I get the NIC module loaded at boot. I
have added the following to
> > conf.modules:
> >
> > alias eth0 dmfe
> > options dmfe io=c800 irq=10
>
> did you mean to type 'io=c800?'
>
> That wouldn't be a valid value...
>
> try something like 0x280, 0x2a0, 0x300, etc...
(just trying to make clear
> examples - not suggesting these values are
correct)

> Also... you might try to see if it finds your
card without specifying any
> irq/io values with an 'options' statement for
eth0.

> > Thanks in advance

btw... I forgot to mention I have a similar board
w/Davicom 9102 NIC

I don't bother with the Options line and it works
fine - my driver figures it out.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Holger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Monitor frequency
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:30:09 GMT

I' d like to make a vidoetape from my computer. Unfortunaltely the
frequency is to high, so that the picture is not clear. What can I do to
change the frequency to lets say 50 Hz, so that the picture will not have
runnung stripes?

Thank you

From: Petri Lehtonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA66 and new computers
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:39:10 +0300

John Strange wrote:

> I think 66 support will be in the next kernel release.
> For my new machine, I had the shop put in a regular 33 cable and give
> me the 66 cable for later.

There might be problems changin to UDMA66 later at least if you want keep the
data on the harddrive. I noticed with Maxtor 40Gb drive that it reports
different CHS values when in UDMA33 than in UDMA66.

I plan to use this drive in UDMA33 mode for now. However when UDMA66 support is
more stable (at least with HPT366 controller) I will swtich to it.

Does anybody now for sure if this change in CHS values is really a problem or
not?

Petri

------------------------------

From: "Leung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help... i don't know how to install my sound card....
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:07:37 +0800

plz help me to install sound card... my sound card is sound blaster
16(pci)....
i run the sndconfig... but it say it don't support... how can i do ....
and then i don't know how to mount msdos dive to my linux operation
system.... i just type "mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /dosc...
but it say fs not support... anyone can help?

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: free Linux installation CD
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 06:48:39 -0500

Michael Kelly wrote:

> The nice thing about Linux is if someone has a recent CD you can
> burn a copy without copyright or copy protection worries. :)

Mostly true. However, beware of distros that include "bundled"
apps, some of which may not be GPL.

------------------------------

From: Petri Lehtonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: BP6: Linux hangs on dma66 HD access
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:52:17 +0300

Jehsom wrote:

> I have a 40gb maxtor udma66 hard drive here.
> I can connect it to the PIIX controller and it works fine at
> dma33 speeds (hdparm -t shows 13 MB/s).
> I can then connect it to the HPT366 controller, and it shows
> xfer speeds almost 2x as fast (hdparm -t shows 25 MB/s). How-
> ever, the whole system locks up on normal disk accesses, such
> as hdparm -t, and the usual startup fsck when the volume was
> not properly unmounted. So I end up having to disconnect the
> drive just to boot up, because it locks when it tries to fsck
> it.
> I patched my 2.2.14 kernel with ide.2.2.14.20000124.patch,
> but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have the same problem here.

Do yo have a SMP system. I was suggested to remove the SMP support from
the kernel. However that didn't work at all.

You could also try to remove the HPT366_FAST_IRQ_PREDICTION and
HPT366_MODE3 options from the HPT366 driver. I did that and didn't help
for me however.

You can use the HPT366 controller without the UDMA/66, but I guess that
is not what you want. Instructions for that are in the Linux HPT366
mini-HOWTO (http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt366/)

Petri

------------------------------

From: Chris Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help... i don't know how to install my sound card....
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:01:46 +0100

Leung wrote:

> plz help me to install sound card... my sound card is sound blaster
> 16(pci)....
> i run the sndconfig... but it say it don't support... how can i do ....

Need more information but it is possible that you have sound support
included in the kernel rather than as modules. sndconfig only works when
sound support is compiled as modules.

> and then i don't know how to mount msdos dive to my linux operation
> system.... i just type "mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /dosc...
> but it say fs not support... anyone can help?

I would guess you have not included msdos fs support under filesystems.

I suggest you take a look at Kernel-HOWTO for information on recompiling
your kernel.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Lilia Vogt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Utility to see a SCSI disk before it has been formatted and mounted
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:24:35 +0100

Thansk for answering to everybody. My point is that I do not want (if
possible) to reboot the server. I just want to see if the disk has been
successfully connected on a SCSI level and use it later.

Regards, Lilia

------------------------------

From: john green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP Colorado 8GB on SuSE
Date: 30 Mar 2000 13:33:48 +0100

Hello all

I'm having some problems with an HP Colorado 8GB tape
streamer. I can create and read archives with tar, but
I can't append. Has anyone had similar problems?

-j
--
J.J.Green, Dept. Applied Math. University of Sheffield, UK
http://www.arbs.demon.co.uk

------------------------------

From: "Niels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound problem related tot user vs. root
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:24:37 +0200

I have RedHat 6.0 running and I'm having some problem running Unreal with
wine.
When I start as root "wine /<directorty's>/Unreal.exe" everything runs fine,
but when I run this command as user the sound will only work for less then a
second and then stops playing.
I installed Unreal as user, so the ownership of all files is set for the
user.
By comparing I found out that, when running as root, the music first start
with the background music and a second later with some background noises
like wind or some noisie torches. So it might have to do something with 2
sound sources not being able to be produced at the same time. But then again
why then is this just a problem when being a user and no problem at all
being root?

Any help would be appreciated

Niels Veltman

------------------------------

Subject: Re: another newbie, another modem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:42:40 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
KidCubano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>hey all you folks in linux land, i just got a new 56K to use under my mandrake
>linux 6.5(redhat 6.1). its SmartLink pci voice/fax modem, made by archtek,
>which uses ESS chipsets, its technically an ES56T PI model, i think the exact
[..]

http://www.esstech.com/product/Communications/es56pi.htm

Your modem uses a controllerless chipset-- it will not work without its
Windows software (or the Linux equivalent).  In this case, there is no
Linux equivalent because ESS has kept the specs secret.  Sorry :(

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html <-- Linux/modem compat. list

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Mad Dark Elf)
Subject: Re: Looking for the "right" SMP Linux motherboard ... (aggressive hobbyist
use)
Date: 30 Mar 2000 13:38:09 GMT

LhD Administrator ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: Karlo Szabo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > BP6, no questions about it.
:
: There are some very mixed reports about the BP6, especially from those
: who use the on-board IDE controllers or have earlier revisions of the
: boards. It seems very polar -- either a 1 or a 5 out of 5.
:
: --
: LhD Administrator
: Linux Hardware Database
: http://www.linhardware.com
:
:
: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Before you buy.

I use a BP6 with a pair of Celeron 366s running @ 550.  Both my machine's HDDs are
ATA/66, and are
running off the highpoint controller.  Following the mini-HOWTO makes installing to
them easy.  I
haven't patched the kernel to support them natively as yet, which forces me to have an
append statement
in my lilo.conf that specifices the location of the controller.  So far, I'm pleased
with the performance.

--

           />   The Mad Dark Elf
         /<        Theron Hatfield
                                          >/
                                        </

------------------------------

From: Petri Lehtonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Abit BP6, HPT366 and UDMA/66 (was: Looking for the "right" SMP Linux
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:52:08 +0300

The Mad Dark Elf wrote:

> I use a BP6 with a pair of Celeron 366s running @ 550.  Both my machine's HDDs are
>ATA/66, and are
> running off the highpoint controller.  Following the mini-HOWTO makes installing to
>them easy.  I
> haven't patched the kernel to support them natively as yet, which forces me to have
>an append statement
> in my lilo.conf that specifices the location of the controller.  So far, I'm pleased
>with the performance.

Are you using the drives in UDMA/66 mode without the patch?

At least I wasn't. Everyting works fine in UDMA/33 mode with performace (hdparm -t) of
about 14MB/sec. With
the patch and the drives in UDMA/66 mode I get performance of 24MB/sec. However after
a while the drives is
extensively used (compiling kernel) the system hangs up with the error message hde:
timeout waiting for DMA.

It seems I have to use the UDMA/33 mode for now and wait until HPT366 support becomes
more stabile.

Petri

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Adaptec AAA-133U2 U2SCSI Raid PCI
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:12:51 GMT

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 07:59:48 GMT, Kristjan Kristinsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Are there any other raid cards supported when it comes to similar
>prestanda?
>

>On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:56:51 +0200, Markus Kossmann
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Kristjan Kristinsson wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if this model (Adaptec AAA-133U2 U2SCSI Raid PCI) or
>>> (Adaptec AAA-131U2  U2SCSI Raid PCI) are compatible with linux?
>>No , thes are not compatible.
>>> I couldn't find information about them.
>>Read the kernel configuration help for the AIC7xxx driver .

I thought the 131U2 and 133U2 gave the same interface as a 29xx which the
aic7xxx driver is written for.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edward L. Hepler)
Date: 30 Mar 2000 08:48:25 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Petri Lehtonen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>John Strange wrote:
>
>> I think 66 support will be in the next kernel release.
>> For my new machine, I had the shop put in a regular 33 cable and give
>> me the 66 cable for later.
>
>There might be problems changin to UDMA66 later at least if you want keep the
>data on the harddrive. I noticed with Maxtor 40Gb drive that it reports
>different CHS values when in UDMA33 than in UDMA66.
>
>I plan to use this drive in UDMA33 mode for now. However when UDMA66 support is
>more stable (at least with HPT366 controller) I will swtich to it.
>
>Does anybody now for sure if this change in CHS values is really a problem or
>not?

It appears to be.... I have spent more hours than I would like to admit
trying to get a Maxtor 40G drive to work on my Dell running Linux...

Then I went to Redhat's web site and looked at the compatibility list...
For Redhat 6.1, under IDE hard drives, there is an entry saying that linux
does not support drives over about 33G...  There is an explanation as to why
and a pointer to a patch...

But Redhat 6.2 is supposed to handle this correctly...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: latest 2.3.99-pre3 won't boot on I-OPENER
Date: 30 Mar 2000 14:16:03 GMT

In article <KDAE4.1189$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Bryan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| In comp.os.linux.hardware Rick Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| : Do you have frame buffers configured in you kernel?  If so, try
| : turning them off.
|
| not really familiar with that section, so I left it to its default.
| which should be good, right? ;-)

  I suggest going through menuconfig and disabling everything you aren't
positive you need, and putting anything you don't need to boot in a
module. Then you can either fight just the problems with non-boot, or
add features cautiously.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
  The hardest test of maturity is knowing the difference between

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Help, diamond suprasonic DSL modem under redhat
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:37:05 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "philip paradias" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hey. I recently downloaded redhat 6.2. I'm using windows 2000 right now, but
> I want to switch. The only thing thats holding me back is my adsl card. does
> it work under redhat linux? It's a diamond supra sonic 1 meg modem.

If this is the same as the Diamond 1MM, then you're one of the few lucky
ones. I've got a link to the driver on my web page:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/network/network-dsl.html

If not, then you may be out of luck. Most internal DSL modems are
doorstops as far as Linux is concerned. If you're serious about getting
Linux running with DSL, you may need to trade in your internal modem for
an external unit and Ethernet adapter.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Knutar)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Linux sucks
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:31:20 GMT

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:34:52 +0000, Barry Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I recently upgraded (if this is the right term!) to Windoze 2000. Within
>4 hours, explorer crashed leaving me with no start bar, Internet
>Explorer crashed before completely drawing it's window, despite Task
>Manager saying it was running fine, eXceed crashed for the first time
>ever in my experience and Visual Studio thinks the date is 1900 - way to
>go! A reboot required after 4 hours uptime!

My Win95 runs so much more stable after explorer crashes. Without the
taskbar and desktop icons, the system is not only faster, but more stable!

There's always the problem of starting other apps... Aparantly, there's
some emergency backup system in place. Pressing the windows key brings up a
primitive iinterface from which other apps can be started and shut down.

Sometimes explorer starts 'bouncing' back after a crash. Damn annoying when
a windows pops up every second telling me that explorer has crashed.

 --
 JK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 -

------------------------------

From: Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:31:22 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: In article <KDAE4.1189$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: Bryan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: | In comp.os.linux.hardware Rick Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: | : Do you have frame buffers configured in you kernel?  If so, try
: | : turning them off.
: |
: | not really familiar with that section, so I left it to its default.
: | which should be good, right? ;-)

:   I suggest going through menuconfig and disabling everything you aren't
: positive you need, and putting anything you don't need to boot in a
: module. Then you can either fight just the problems with non-boot, or
: add features cautiously.

I've trimmed down ALL that I think I can live without.  I really
thought I had removed all excess cruft.  but obvious I either left
some stuff in or a driver is probing what should be normal hardware,
and on this custom pc, is causing the video mode to go screwy.

--
Bryan, http://Grateful.Net (ANTISPAM: email is my name at my web's domain)

(c) 2000.  Publishing and/or relaying of this material on all forums other than
USENET implies agreeing to a consultancy fee of US$150 per posting.  You must
obtain a written permit before you publish.  Violators are subject to civil
prosecution for Copyright Infringement as applicable.  Publication by C|NET
and Microsoft Networks expressly prohibited.

------------------------------

From: Claude Hecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux kernel 2.2.xx
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:37:42 +0200

Hi folks...

is there anyone who has expiriences in how
to install a Kernel 2.2.xx on an HP LXr 8/Pro ?

By the way, this machine is running very nice by
using a Kernel like 2.0.36 but would halt on booting
a newer Kernel at the point of PCI Bus Scan.

Description of the hardware: (fully functional under 2.0.36)
4* Pentium Pro / 1MB Cache
512 MB RAM
NCR53875 SCSI Controller
2* SCSI 9,1 GB HDD