Linux-Hardware Digest #595, Volume #12            Sun, 2 Apr 00 10:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Multiport Ethernet Cards ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can't boot win95/98 installation floppys. (Opinionated)
  Re: x86 multiport serial board recommendations? (Stephen)
  Re: Guys,Guys BeOS For Linux Is Here !! (Lucky)
  Re: Can't boot win95/98 installation floppys. (Neil Koozer)
  RE: S3 Savage4 installation problem with Mandrake 6.0 ("Aldric Moreno")
  Re: Q: cpuinfo reports no cache on PIII coppermine (jwk)
  Re: Guys,Guys BeOS For Linux Is Here !! (Prasanth Kumar)
  Re: Brainless modems (Wayne Power)
  Re: Soundblaster PCI 128 Midi / Suse 6.3. ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Sound Card under Corel Linux ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Do I Need "Syslogd" and Can I Kill It ??? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Installing Linux ona Compaq Deskpro 6000 ("Jacques Garnier")
  Re: Micronics W6LI only fit for use as fan heater ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: ATI Rage Mobility works with XFree86 4.0 ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Found a deal on a modem! (Jerry Park)
  Re: Rockwell HCF modem (Jerry Park)
  Re: winmodem confusion !! (Jerry Park)
  Re: Can't install new modem. ("Peter T. Breuer")
  X-windows on Toshiba Sat. 4280 ("yellows")
  All Linux Experts, Please Help (jwhill2000)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Multiport Ethernet Cards
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:58:20 GMT

Does anybody know if there is a PCI multi-port Ethernet NIC available
anywhere?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Opinionated <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't boot win95/98 installation floppys.
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 23:31:35 -0600

Neil Koozer wrote:

> <snip>

Honestly, after these distros were installed, don't you find that there are
very few differences between the systems?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.os.linux.dial-up,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: x86 multiport serial board recommendations?
Date: 2 Apr 2000 05:32:11 GMT

--
Best regards,
Stephen Pang

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Guys,Guys BeOS For Linux Is Here !!
From: Lucky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 21:44:47 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lucky
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>BeOS just
released Their FREE version 5 for the PC. But, it's
>alittle
know fact that they also released a free Linux
>version
>too.
This doesn't use the BeOS EB file system but your
>Linux ext2
system. The image is only 20mb. but the download is
>38mb
>New
to BeOS version 5:
> scroll mouse support
> CDR
burner
>software
> Built in MP3 player
> New BeMail interface

New
>Netpositive browser
> Plus much more to mention !
>
>Get it
at
>http://im1.tucows.com/beos/osupdates.html  or go
>directly
>tucows. Make sure you download BeOS for Linux
>No I don't
work
>for BeOS and I'm not affiliated with them in any way.
>
>*
Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
>The fastest and easiest way to search and participate
in Usenet - Free!

Major typo here guys. The OS takes up
520mb of space,not 20. Sorry

From: Neil Koozer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 23:26:56 -0800

Opinionated wrote:

> Neil Koozer wrote:
>
> > <snip>
>
> Honestly, after these distros were installed, don't you find that there are
> very few differences between the systems?

Yah, but I was trying to find an idea of any possible cause for the
booting problem.

Neil.

------------------------------

From: "Aldric Moreno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup,uklinux.help.newbies
Subject: RE: S3 Savage4 installation problem with Mandrake 6.0
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 01:50:33 -0600

it should work with the Xfree86 ver 3.3.6 and you have to use the SVGA
server to make it work. you may also run xf86setup to configure it
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jwk)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Q: cpuinfo reports no cache on PIII coppermine
Date: 2 Apr 2000 08:23:50 GMT

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 19:37:16 -0600, Robert L. McCormick
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I just put together a new PIII 800 MHz machine.  /proc/cpuinfo reports
>0K of cache in my new processor.  However, the bios reports "256K
>Enabled" when I boot.  Also, intel's utility for identifying processors
>claims that I have 256K of cache.
>
>Here is a paste of the output from /cat/cpuinfo, does anyone know what
>the problem might be? Also, the kernel version is 2.2.12 and I'm running

2.2.12 is old. Try 2.2.15pre17 or 2.3.99pre4.

Jurriaan

--
proof by exhaustion:
        An issue or two of a journal devoted to your proof is useful.

------------------------------

From: Prasanth Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 09:10:10 GMT

Lucky wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lucky
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >BeOS just
> released Their FREE version 5 for the PC. But, it's
> >alittle
> know fact that they also released a free Linux
> >version
> >too.
> This doesn't use the BeOS EB file system but your
> >Linux ext2
> system. The image is only 20mb. but the download is
> >38mb
<snip>

I tried out this free BeOS and it looks nice but the major problem
is poor hardware support... There is less supported hardware than
Linux had 2-3 years ago! The interesting thing is they have bash
and all the gnu utilities in there and much of the Unixisms even if
only skin deep. Given that the MacOS is also now Unix based, it
looks like Microsoft is the only company without a Unix like OS!

--
Prasanth Kumar

Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 05:28:11 -0400
From: Wayne Power <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Brainless modems

> Rod Smith wrote in message ...
> >
> > "Powerkiter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >> Will I see the day when LINUX supports softmodems or braindead modems
> >
> >That day has already arrived, at least for some models. See:
> >
> >http://www.linmodems.org

Oh thank you, thank you and thank you!

The Wogster wrote:

> Excuse me, but if your looking at a modem, very few of them list the chipset
> on the outside of the box

Lucky me, my ActionTec Pro PCI brags about having a Lucent chip set on the
box.  It kicks ass at ~21M/hr compared to the ~15M/hr my 'real' external modem
with Rockwell chip set delivers.

> Windows crashed for the 47th time.....

You've only been using Windows for a week?  :-)

--wmp

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster PCI 128 Midi / Suse 6.3.
Date: 2 Apr 2000 09:55:59 GMT

E <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hello,

: I have some trouble getting my Soundblaster to play some decent MIDI. Normal
: sound operation is ok. The /dev/mixer is not present, so mixer software does
: not work.

: Has anyone managed to get SB128 working with midi?

As far as I recall, the SB128 (i.e. es1370/1)  does not have a midi
chip. You have to use software emulation.

But if you don't have a _mixer_ on the board, something more profound
is wrong. I've only used alsa drivers on SB128s, but they certainly
have a mixer!

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Card under Corel Linux
Date: 2 Apr 2000 09:58:26 GMT

Hamada <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: PPS what does i386 mean???

Look at the stamp on your CPU. You do know what CPU you have ...?
Is it a sparc? An alpha? An arm? An ix86?

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Do I Need "Syslogd" and Can I Kill It ???
Date: 2 Apr 2000 11:17:16 GMT

Lucky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I'm running Turbolinux 6.0 My hard drive was crunching away all
: the time even if I did nothing. Process management showed syslogd
: eating 28% of CPU cycles. I killed it and the crunching stopped.
: What does syslogd do and if it's not needed can I rename

"man syslogd" and find out.

: the /usr/sbin/syslogd to something else to kill it for good?

You can do whatever you like. Whether you ought to do it or not depends
on your taste and judgement. Both taste and judgement need to be
informed in order to stand a chance of being remotely in line
with the rest of the worlds thinking, or to be capable of rational
dissection. I.e. RTFM. You'll find that you are talking about the
daemon that records your system logs, as a random person on the street
might have guesed from the name ... and therefore you need to make
an informed decision about wherther you prefer having system logs to
having a moving hard disk. If I were you, I'd READ those system
logs to find out what all the information was about that syslogd
thought so important as to spend 28% of cpu time writing down for
you. Probably "bad block on sector 127345 of device hda1"!

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Jacques Garnier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing Linux ona Compaq Deskpro 6000
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 14:37:12 +0200

Hi
I try to install Debian 2.1 r4 on a Compaq deskpro 6000.
After the first install reboot, linux failed to start...
I get a blank screen with only the two first letter of LILO.
If anyone know what's going on plz tell me.
Thks

Jacques

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Micronics W6LI only fit for use as fan heater
Date: 2 Apr 2000 12:48:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

:> My Micron Millenia Pro2 Plus system (PPro/200) uses an OEM variant of
:> the Micronics W6Li motherboard (it has no SCSI controller), and I've
:> installed several Linux flavors on it without problems (as well as
:> Windows 95 and OS/2).

: Twins!  So what do you call a W6Li with SCSI?

: I have had some success of late - I built a 2.0.38 kernel with SMP and
: the bloody thing boots!  Sadly X dies most horribly as its intended
: for my 2.2 kernel...

X is not dependent on your kernel version. The same X server
will work fine under 2.2 and under 2.0 kernels (modulo some very
very mild finger-crossing connected with /dev/mtyx or whatever
the pseudo tty device multiplexer is now called.)

: Please, please, can anyone help me get my 2nd processor working.

Post the errors.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI Rage Mobility works with XFree86 4.0
Date: 2 Apr 2000 12:51:20 GMT

robert t. lemmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:55:05 +0100, Steen Suder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: wrote:

:>Earlier, I've brought up the question on how to make X work with the ATI
:>Rage Mobility chipset.
:>
: i know you didn't post only to be bothered by newbie question,
: but i'm desparate. i have same video card in my Gateway
: 9300 laptop. Redhat 6.1 autoprobes video card correctly,
: but can't find monitor type ! if i supply generic monitor

Who cares. Invent some random monitor description and change it later.

: type, install continues, but first boot dies at LI prompt.

That just means you've slightly messed up the boot loader. Looks
like the standard attempt to boot to a kernel image above the 1024
cylinder mark. Boot from the floppy you made during the install
sequence until you learn better.

And don't use BugHat.  Try SuSE, Corel, Slackware (and Debian, if I
thought you might be able to do the install ...).

Peter

------------------------------

From: Jerry Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Found a deal on a modem!
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 08:08:26 -0500

"Joseph C. Kopec" wrote:

> I saw an ActionTEC "voice mail modem" today at CompUSA (price: $79.99)
> the box for which said (i) it worked under DOS and Linux, (ii) it was a
> PCI card, (iii) it used Lucent technology and (iv) it had an "on board
> processor".  Does anyone know whether this is a controller-based modem
> (as "on board processor" would suggest) or a host-controller modem with
> a "linmodem" driver (I know that certain Lucent host-controller modems
> have Linux drivers available)?  In either case, its great to see a
> manufacturer advertising Linux compatibility on the box.  The box wasn't
> too clear whether it was a Class 2 or 2.0 modem -- I am interested
> because I want to use mgetty+sendfax/vgetty and I have been having a
> hard time getting this to work with my Creative Modem Blaster Flash 56II
> ISA Controller-Based Modem.
>
> Prasanth Kumar wrote:
> >
> > Steve Martin wrote:
> > >
> > > No, this is not a continuation of the "this is a great deal"
> > > thread we had a week or two ago. I just stumbled across this,
> > > and thought I'd share it.
> > >
> > > The local Circuit City ran an ad for an ActionTec modem,
> > > advertised to work with everything from DOS to WinNT.
> > > Linux not mentioned. I went to the store, looked at the
> > > modem, decided to take a chance (since it said it worked
> > > under DOS). Took it home, pulled the venerable Zoom 28.8
> > > VFP, and popped it in. After a little fiddling, it worked!
> > > No WinModem sludge required... it's an honest-to-goodness
> > > hardware-based modem. Down side is that it's an ISA, so
> > > theoretically the throughput is a little restricted,
> > > but so far it seems to be working like a champ. Just
> > > downloaded two 2-M files from bmrt.org, and am now using
> > > it to send this message.
> > <snip>
> >
> > Yes, ActionTec supports Linux for their hardware. I have
> > seen the "works with Linux" on some of their cards. I have
> > no personal experience in using them though.
> >
> > --
> > Prasanth Kumar
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm using the Actiontec PCI call waiting modem with Linux. No drivers
needed. Works out of the box.

Note that not all Actiontec modems will work with Linux, some are winmodems.
Check the documentation.

------------------------------

From: Jerry Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rockwell HCF modem
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 08:10:02 -0500

Vladimir Velisavljev wrote:

>     Hi
>
>     Does anyone have a rockwell HCF modem work under Linux ?
>
> regards, Vladimir!

No, it won't. It is a winmodem -- and doesn't work well even under
Windows.

------------------------------

From: Jerry Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: winmodem confusion !!
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 08:14:24 -0500

Ray wrote:

> anyone out there that can tell me if there is such a thing as a
> winmodem that will work with linux(redhat 6.1 or mandrake 7.0)
> I don't have any spare ISA slots only PCI. Nd which do you feel is
> better to use for internet publishing. Mandrake or RedHat ?
> would appreciate input on these matters
> Thanks

Even if you could get a winmodem to work, you probably shouldn't.
Seizing (nearly all) system resources just to communicate over a modem
would likely cause problems in a multiuser environment.

So far as the PCI slots go, just get a PCI modem that isn't a winmodem.

Actiontec makes a very good PCI modem which works with Linux, the
Actiontec call waiting PCI modem. Check the documentation, Actiontec
also sells winmodems.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't install new modem.
Date: 2 Apr 2000 13:01:33 GMT

SkiPa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: When ever I try to add a new modem it just crashes.Ive tried numerous times

What do you mean? What crashes? And why would adding a modem involve
anything? You just unplug the modem from the serial port and plug
in the new one.

You are probably talking about an ISA card. Bad news.

: but have failed every time,any suggestions???
: im running Red Hat 6.1

In that case, don't! Your only reason for running it is that you wish
to remain ignorant about your computer. It seems that rationale has now
disappeared.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "yellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X-windows on Toshiba Sat. 4280
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 15:24:37 +0200

Hi

Could anybody give me some suggestions how to run X-windows on my Toshiba
Satelitte Pro 4280 Notebook. The video chipset is manufactured by S3 and is
called Savage 3D. On the Toshiba web-site there are no X-windows drivers
available. According to man-pages the vga16-server should run on the S3
Savage 3d. I tried to configure it with SaX and XF86Setup. I also downloaded
a new svga-server.
Without any result.

From: jwhill2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: All Linux Experts, Please Help
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 13:43:21 GMT

I am running RH 6.1 and have a problem during bootup. During bootup, I
get a "Failure" when I reach "Checking for new hardware". Does anyone
know how to fix this so I my system will configure new hardware
correctly? Many Thanks.