Linux-Hardware Digest #601, Volume #12            Mon, 3 Apr 00 11:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: 128MB memory problem and cache problem (Graham Murray)
  Re: Matrox Millenium G400 (Kristjan Kristinsson)
  Dell on board sound card (CS4232) and internal speaker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: S3 Savage4 installation problem with Mandrake 6.0 (Harry Lewis)
  Re: Xircom network adapter (Hamid Misnan)
  Re: S3 Savage4 installation problem with Mandrake 6.0 (Harry Lewis)
  Re: S3 Savage4 installation problem with Mandrake 6.0 (Harry Lewis)
  printing header problem ("rp.Mignon")
  Aztech Conextant 56k modem and linux (sam)
  Problem: "cannot unlink" (Jim Bevenhall)
  Re: Matrox Millenium G400 (Mogens Kjaer)
  Listening For Ports, How ??? ("Paul McGrath")
  Linux and Wake-on-LAN NIC feature (William McGrath)
  Re: burning mp3's (David C. Snyder)
  Re: True requirements for Lexmark Optra Color 40 SIMMs? (Vincent Fox)
  laptop compatability question.... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Lexmark z11
  MS Intellimouse Explorer ("Hawk")
  ftape and Colorado DJ35 (aka: Jumbo 350) (Ritchie Fraser)
  Re: Printer Driver: Panasonic KXP 6100 (Bob Moore)
  Re: Printer Driver: Panasonic KXP 6100 (Bob Moore)
  boca NIC (Herman Chen)
  Re: BE6-II mobo no > 64MB (Lars Gaarden)
  unstable UDMA/33 ("Justin R. Miller")
  [Fwd: Epson Stylus Photo 1200 Printing] ("Lawrence S. Stephens III")

From: Graham Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 128MB memory problem and cache problem
Date: 03 Apr 2000 10:17:05 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows) writes:

> Bogomips has NOTHING to do with processor performance.  My K6-2 400 shows
> 799.54 Bogomips; a friend's PII-400 shows about half that.  His seems to
> perform a bit faster for many things.  There's a Mini-HOWTO about Bogomips
> at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO .

Also the way that BogMips is calculated has changed in the latest
kernels. For most processors it should be about twice the processor
speed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kristjan Kristinsson)
Subject: Re: Matrox Millenium G400
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 10:24:32 GMT

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 08:59:19 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>worked just as well. Version 4.0 recognises the G400 and makes good use
>>of all the memory. It also has that nice overclocking option that really
>>makes things go faster.
>
>Is this similar to overclocking a CPU?

can this damage the card in any way?

//kristjan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Dell on board sound card (CS4232) and internal speaker
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 10:27:42 GMT

I'm trying to configure sound on a Dell Precision
410. It
comes with an on-board sounc card (CS4232). Using
RedHat 6.1 and snd-config setting up sound is very
easy.
There is only one major drawback: The internal
speaker
refuses to emit anything than a single <blop>
during sound
initialization.  The line output does work.

Has anyone succeeded in configuring sound in a way
it works with the internal speaker? Any hint?
(I *know* the internal speaker is connected to the
sound
card since if I setup NT on the same box it does
actually work)

Thanks for any hint!

Kind regards,
Tom Aeby

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Harry Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup,uklinux.help.newbies
Subject: Re: S3 Savage4 installation problem with Mandrake 6.0
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 12:09:32 +0100

> By the way, I've got a Creative labs Savage 4 on my linux box, and
apart
from not wanting to cooperate with my Samsung monitor at 1024x768 (I'm
stuck in 800x600), it's sort of OK... <

Funny you should mention that ... becuase that's the problem I'm now
stuck with!

BTW I've managed to get the system to onfigure the card ... but not
consistently. In some cases, the Xconfigurator utility keeps quitting
with a "Server not found" error - any idea why this should be?

Harry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hamid Misnan)
Subject: Re: Xircom network adapter
Date: 2 Apr 2000 04:06:38 GMT

On 30 Mar 2000 00:07:35 -0800, Patrice Belleville wrote:
>Rudi Donne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > anyone has xircom adapter on a laptop running
>> > Red Hat linux ? I can't configure mine.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Luis.
>>
>> Read the HOW-TO's.
>> Xircom is not supported.
>
>On the other  hand, just because it's not  supported doesn't mean it won't
>work. I  have a Xircom CE3-10/100  Fast Ethernet card, which wouldn't work
>with  the stock RH  6.1 kernel  (2.2.12).  Upgrading the kernel  to 2.3.46
>fixed the problem (Xircom support got broken again in 2.3.99pre1, although
>I think it's working now in 2.3.99pre3, which I haven't tried yet).

I've been happy with my CE3-10/100 and been using it since RH 5.2. It does
work with the stock RH 6.1.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan | http://www.mhmsys.com | [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |
|AMD-Linux & iMac Bondi Blue RevB | [EMAIL PROTECTED]/alumni.uop.edu     |

------------------------------

From: Harry Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup,uklinux.help.newbies
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 12:10:59 +0100

> and you have to use the SVGA server to make it work <

Could you give me a pointer on how to do this? This is the problem with
which I'm now grappling, having upgraded to XFree 3.3.6.

Harry

------------------------------

From: Harry Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup,uklinux.help.newbies
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 12:12:25 +0100

> Or rather than get a new version of mandrake, you can hit rpmfind.net,
click
the link for apps by letter X, and find XFree4 and it's files in
mandrake
format. Install those, along with the updated XF86Setup and you should
be
ok.

Thanks for the tip. As I've now upgraded XFree to 3.3.6, this could be
the next thing to try!

Harry

------------------------------

From: "rp.Mignon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printing header problem
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:17:44 +0200

system suse 4.2
/etc/printcap
lp:remote:sh:\
:lp=/dev/null:rm=192.168.0.50:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplaser:

also print header but                 :sh:
thinks for your reply

A+

From: sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Aztech Conextant 56k modem and linux
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 11:30:13 GMT

hi i am having trouble setting up my modem in linux. would anyone have an
idea how i could set up my modem so i can use the internet? i have aztech
conextant 56K v.90 modem
tahnkss

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Bevenhall)
Subject: Problem: "cannot unlink"
Date: 3 Apr 2000 11:33:43 GMT

I had a power loss on my pc running RedHat 6.1. When rebooting, I had to
do a manual fsck on my /dev/hda5 to be able to pass the checks, which
complained a lot about duplicate inodes and such.

I ended up with a lot of files in lost+found, which cannot be removed
even if I'm running as root.

# ls -al
d---rwSr-t   2 16962    13157       40960 Jan 19  1970 #679703
dr--rwS--x   2 17989    13157       45056 Jan 20  1970 #679706
br--r-srwT   1 26217    12340      0,  32 Nov 21 19:01 #679710
dr-x---r-x   2 16963    24931       45056 Jan  6  1970 #679713
br-xr---wx   1 26723    32        52,  52 Oct 28  2006 #679720
d---rw-r-T   2 17473    13157       36864 Jan 16  1970 #679731
-rwx---r--   1 root     root     1359282432 Jan  1  1970 #679878
# rm -f \#679878
rm: cannot unlink `#679878': Operation not permitted
# chown root \#679677
chown: #679720: Operation not permitted
#

Subsequent fsck's runs successfully without any remarks. 'df' report
correct disk space, although 'du lost+found' report abnormal figures.

Question: How do I get rid of these files?

---
jim

------------------------------

From: Mogens Kjaer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:43:44 +0200

Kristjan Kristinsson wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 08:59:19 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >>worked just as well. Version 4.0 recognises the G400 and makes good use
> >>of all the memory. It also has that nice overclocking option that really
> >>makes things go faster.
> >
> >Is this similar to overclocking a CPU?
> >

> can this damage the card in any way?

It is not overclocking, but rather clocking the card to the
clock speed that it supports.

You can damage a G400 (not MAX) by setting
it to the clock speed of a G400 MAX.

Mogens
--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08

------------------------------

From: "Paul McGrath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Listening For Ports, How ???
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:51:56 +0100

Hi

Does anyone know how to make a port available for tcp/ip listening. I've
been asked to open port 4107 for tcp/ip connection so as our firewall can
transmit its log files to us. I'm using SuSe Linux 6.3.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Paul

------------------------------

From: William McGrath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking
Subject: Linux and Wake-on-LAN NIC feature
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 05:19:08 -0700

Hi

I was wondering about the WoL feature on some NICs. As far as I understand
it, WoL is a feature of the NIC and connects via a wire to  a connector
on a motherboard that supports this feature.

Ok so if I have a motherboard without this feature am I SOL? Or can linux
support a similar function in software? I am thinking of some sort or
power-down/power-up function that kicks in when there is activity on the
subnet. What about cards that don't have this feature, can they still be
used for this purpose?

MTIA

Bill

                    Small is beautiful. Keep it simple.

------------------------------

From: David C. Snyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: burning mp3's
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 12:31:09 GMT

Rich Mesek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How do you burn mp3 files onto cd's in cdda format? I can't find any
> conversion utility or cd-burner that can create a music cd out of
> mp3's. What am I missing?

There are several ways to do this, and the utilities required are
already installed on many Linux systems. I use a combination of
mpg123, sox, and cdrecord. Below is the little script that I use
to do this:

   #!/bin/sh
   mp3_list=`echo $* | fmt -1 | grep '\.mp3$'`
   for i in $mp3_list
   do
      echo "$i -> CD"
      mpg123 -s $i \
      | sox -c2 -s -w -t raw -r 44100 - -t cdr - \
      | cdrecord -v -audio -nofix dev=0,2,0 speed=8 fs=8m -
      echo ""
     done
   echo "\n- Don't forget to run cdrecord -fix after the last track."

Of course, you'll want to set the "dev", "speed", and "fs" values
to something that's appropriate for your system, or just put them
into /etc/cdrecord.conf. Hope this helps...

-- David

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Fox)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.misc,comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Re: True requirements for Lexmark Optra Color 40 SIMMs?
Date: 3 Apr 2000 13:11:59 GMT

In <211817295473644229888094@MYHOSTNAME> Joseph Loo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

*snip*

>If you are lucky, the printer will take a long time to render the
>picture. If not, it will have a postscript error. I did some minor
>postscript with 4 mbytes and it would take  30 minutes to render. After
>a 64 Mbyte, memory it would only take a minute or so before it would
>start.

Actually what it *ought* to do, like any printer and a print
job that exceeds it's memory, is render what it can and print
that, then pause and work some more. You should just go slower
in low-memory situations. However, I have seen my Optra 40
sometimes print out stack errors in these situations.

Highly worthwhile to pay $20 for a used 16 or 32 meg EDO SIMM.
I am using a 16 meg EDO with tin contacts in mine, works great.
The thing I love most about this printer is that every so often
I can hit the test-print button and it'll spit out a page with
a little fuel gauge for cartridge ink. Man, that's going to
save me a lot of headaches at one office I installed one in.

--
        "Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft"?
         -- Christine Comaford, PC Week, 27/9/95

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: laptop compatability question....
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:36:21 GMT

I am considering buying my friends Compaq 1800 laptop. It has a 600 P3
processor, 64mb memory, an 8mb ATI mobility 3D card, and 12.0G
hd,touchpad,DVD drive, and a 14" display. I was wondering if anyone has
installed Slackware or Caldera on any new Compaq 1800 series laptops or
any Compaq laptops.

This guy paid over 3k for this laptop a few months ago and I may get it
for way less than 1/2! But I only want it if Linux can be installed.

Seeking advice....

garcia2000

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Lexmark z11
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:55:01 GMT

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 01:33:56 GMT, Bob Halloran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>NORMAND Olivier wrote:
>
>> I have a printer Lexmark z11. Can i use Linux to print ?
>
>All the Lexmark inkjet printers are Winprinters.  You're out of luck...

Wrong.  The optra inkjet printers are postscript printers.

------------------------------

From: "Hawk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MS Intellimouse Explorer
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:58:45 GMT

Hello,

    I was wondering if anyone might have encountered the following problem
with this mouse.

Problem :  Within KDE my mouse works fine. I have full use of both buttons
without any problems. However, when i start Quake2 and start to play i can't
use the mouse. First it won't detect the buttons being clicked and second
the sensitivity is VERY high. The sensitivity issue is ok, I found a work
around. But the mouse still doesn't respond the way it should. I was
wondering if anyone else has this mouse working under Quake2 for Linux.

My system is the following.

Linux RedHat 6.2 Final ( not beta)
KDE
latest rpms of Quake2

Thanks
Joey

------------------------------

From: Ritchie Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ftape and Colorado DJ35 (aka: Jumbo 350)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 15:08:27 +0100

Help...

I've read the documentation that comes with ftape, and see that the
Colorado Jumbo 120 and
250 are both supported. I have searched the usenet, and web and am still
none the wiser as to
the compatability of my tape drive..

Is the Jumbo 350 supported?

I just can't get ftape to work for me and I can't figure if its me being
a plank or ftape just don't work with me device. Can someone please put
this 'slice of tree' out of his misery.

Many thanks in advance.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
{Machine: P120/48MbRam/RH6.x/DJ35/and stuff}

------------------------------

From: Bob Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer Driver: Panasonic KXP 6100
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:59:10 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Bob Moore wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I'm new to Linux and I am having difficulty finding a driver to use
> > with the above Laser Printer. Has anyone any ideas where I might find
> > one?
> >
> > Bob Moore
>
> Bob,
>
> I _think_ the Panasonic lasers do something like PCL4.5 (strange).
> That's _less_ than a LaserJet 5 (which does PCL5). So, I'd hazard a
> guess that you could install it as a LaserJet II or LaserJet 4. If you
> have the manual for the Panasonic, check what it says about emulation.

Thanks Mark, I'll try that.I found that Linux recognised it as a
nec kxp6100,
but after the install, it wasn't in any list. Also the test print failed.

I was very impressed with Linux, especially after my experience of
Windows 2000!

I just have a few incompatibility problems such as the winmodem and
printer.

------------------------------

From: Bob Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 15:01:30 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Bob Moore wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I'm new to Linux and I am having difficulty finding a driver to use
> > with the above Laser Printer. Has anyone any ideas where I might find
> > one?
> >
> > Bob Moore
>
> Bob,
>
> I _think_ the Panasonic lasers do something like PCL4.5 (strange).
> That's _less_ than a LaserJet 5 (which does PCL5). So, I'd hazard a
> guess that you could install it as a LaserJet II or LaserJet 4. If you
> have the manual for the Panasonic, check what it says about emulation.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks Mark, I'll try that. It didn't seem to recognise it at all. I
think Linux is a lot better than the Microsoft offerings, and will soon
get rid of the dual boot.

Bob

------------------------------

From: Herman Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: boca NIC
Date: 03 Apr 2000 10:54:14 EDT

Is anyone using BOCA-ISA 10-baseT NIC (NE2000 clone) with Linux?  Any
problems? loss packets?

------------------------------

From: Lars Gaarden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BE6-II mobo no > 64MB
Date: 3 Apr 2000 14:54:51 GMT

Felonius Monk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2)How stable are the prerelease 2.3 kernels?

Depends on your hardware, and on which kernel features you
need. The 2.3.99-pre ones have been stable on my systems
(i.e. no kernel panics), but some sub-systems are still
in a bit of flux so expect weird stuff to happen.

Since we are getting close to 2.4, it would be nice if more
people out there could tourture-test the latest pre-releases
to shake out bugs. Just don't expect it to be as stable as
1.2.13, though.

--
LarsG.

------------------------------

From: "Justin R. Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: unstable UDMA/33
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 14:57:45 GMT

Hi there,

I've been unable to get UDMA/33 to be stable for quite some time
now.  I'm now using Red Hat 6.2, but I still had problems with 6.1
as well.  I get performance gains on my two drives from 3MB/s to over
10MB/s, so I'd like to get this working if at all possible.

PROBLEMS
========
- random system hangs, often during gzip/gunzip or disk-intensive stuff
- binaries often randomly fail (ls, su, etc.) with a segfault
- random X crashes during normal activity (otherwise stable G200)

SETUP
=====
- primary drive:  Seagate ST36531A
- secondary drive:  Samsung VG36483A
- motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-686LX3
- using -d1 hdparm flags or kernel boot parameters (i.e. ide0=dma, etc.)

THINGS I'VE TRIED
=================
- new cables
- removing one drive
- keeping one drive in non-UDMA/33
- separating drives (i.e. hda & hdb or hda & hdc)
- kernels 2.2.10 -> 2.3.99-pre3 (custom and Red Hat RPMS)

Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm beginning to think it's the
motherboard, though it's only about two years old and has been taken
care of.  I'd appreciate any pointers as to what else to try or what to
avoid in my setup.  Thanks!

Justin
--
              _ ___ __  __
 +-=====-  _ | | _ \  \/  | -======- Justin R. Miller -==============-+

------------------------------

From: "Lawrence S. Stephens III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Fwd: Epson Stylus Photo 1200 Printing]
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 11:03:17 -0400

==============7B9D4774203885D61C37041A

==============7B39DFACA787C869856BCFB3

==============7B39DFACA787C869856BCFB3

&nbsp;
<pre>--&nbsp;
</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "Lawrence S. Stephens III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Epson Stylus Photo 1200 Printing
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 22:01:08 GMT

I just purchase a Epson Stylus Photo 1200 printer has anybody use this
printer via Linux?
A postscript software option is available for Windows and MacIntosh. Has
anybody install such a software option available from Epson?

Larry

==============7B9D4774203885D61C37041A==