Linux-Hardware Digest #605, Volume #12            Tue, 4 Apr 00 02:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux and Wake-on-LAN NIC feature (Tim Mallery)
  Re: Matrox Millenium G400 (Dale Pontius)
  Re: Matrox Millenium G400 (Mickey Stein)
  Help Getting a Diamond FirePort 40 SCSI Adapter working with Linux ("4 Play Records")
  Re: Matrox Millenium G400 (Steffen Kluge)
  Re: ATA66 and Linux (Michael Kelly)
  Re: Help Getting a Diamond FirePort 40 SCSI Adapter working with Linux ("Robert W.
Cunningham")
  I-opener and linux: 128meg really helps! (Bryan)
  Re: modem drivers (Dragos A. Manolescu)
  kernel processor type for AMD-K6-2 (Dragos A. Manolescu)
  Re: Need a clean hard disk ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Creative SB PCI 128 Troubles .. =( (eyez)
  Re: NIC disappeared (John Hill)
  Re: Adaptec ADP1505A and Linux RH6.1 SCSI (John Hill)
  Re: Video-card for windows 98 and redhat 6.0 (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Intel 2100 DSL modem? ("Igor T.")
  Re: Speed of AMD K6-2 System (Michael Hofmann)
  Re: cpuinfo reports no cache on PIII coppermine (Robert McCormick)
  Linux Hardware Vendor (Barnet Wagman)
  Re: Multi-port Tulip config q's ("Michael Faurot")

From: Tim Mallery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking
Subject: Re: Linux and Wake-on-LAN NIC feature
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 21:14:56 -0400

William McGrath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I was wondering about the WoL feature on some NICs. As far as I understand
>it, WoL is a feature of the NIC and connects via a wire to  a connector
>on a motherboard that supports this feature.

Correct

>Ok so if I have a motherboard without this feature am I SOL?

Yes

>Or can linux support a similar function in software?

No

> I am thinking of some sort or
>power-down/power-up function that kicks in when there is activity on the
>subnet. What about cards that don't have this feature, can they still be
>used for this purpose?

No

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dale Pontius)
Subject: Re: Matrox Millenium G400
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:12:18 -0400

In article <38e6023e$2$ovryyvat$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> at much at home in text mode so this won't be a problem.  Where I'm really
> a fish out of water is on my wife's iMac -- still can't find the command
> line!  ;-)

I heard somewhere that there actually is a command interface under
there, that you can get a command prompt program for the Mac, and
get a command line.

Dale Pontius

------------------------------

From: Mickey Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 19:00:49 -0700

There is: It's called linux<g>

------------------------------

From: "4 Play Records" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help Getting a Diamond FirePort 40 SCSI Adapter working with Linux
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 02:07:12 GMT

    Has anyone gotten or no how to get a Diamond Multimedia Fireport
SCSI adapter card working with linux????

When I try to boot using a boot floppy for scsi it does not reconise the
HD's?

PLEASE EURGENT

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Kluge)
Date: 4 Apr 2000 01:19:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mogens Kjaer  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It is not overclocking, but rather clocking the card to the
>clock speed that it supports.

Interesting. But why doesn't XFree86 clock the cards to their
abilities by default, and calls it "overclocking" instead?

>You can damage a G400 (not MAX) by setting
>it to the clock speed of a G400 MAX.

I'm glad I've got the MAX :-)

I've also fiddled with gmgaclock and can tell you that it is
definitely possible to lock up the system with it ;-)

Cheers
Steffen.
--
Steffen Kluge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fujitsu Australia Ltd

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Kelly)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: ATA66 and Linux
Date: 4 Apr 2000 02:38:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss) writes:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:43:53 +0000, Prem S Kang
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Hal Burgiss wrote:

> UDMA66 drives work fine in UDMA33 mode. They can't run in UDMA66 mode
> (at least with RH6.x) since there is absolutely no support for this in
> the stock RH kernels. It was not even available at the time 6.0 came
> out. 2.3 kernels have this, and there is a patch for 2.2. Dunno about
> Mandrake, maybe the patch is in there. What does hdparm, hdparm -i, and
> hdparm -tT say for your drive?

Hi Hal!  Just thought I'd followup since now I see the difference to
some kind of udma!  Wow!  Just for curiosity's sake, here's some
numbers from bonnie with 2.2.12 kernel:

              -------Sequential Output-------- ---Sequential Input-- --Random--
              -Per Char- --Block--- -Rewrite-- -Per Char- --Block--- --Seeks---
Machine    MB K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU  /sec %CPU
          100  4152 85.6  6723 93.2  2610 72.6  4289 49.1 34005 70.7 5793.3 34.8

Now here's the numbers after I compiled 2.3.4 kernel with Promise support(PDC4whatever
driver):

              -------Sequential Output-------- ---Sequential Input-- --Random--
              -Per Char- --Block--- -Rewrite-- -Per Char- --Block--- --Seeks---
Machine    MB K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU  /sec %CPU
          100 21507 93.5 22018 21.7  5797 13.6 11654 42.1 92221 39.6 4785.0 32.3

Like, wow!  I just hope everything keeps working and fsck doesn't get sick on it!

--

Mike
--

------------------------------

From: "Robert W. Cunningham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 03:03:56 GMT

4 Play Records wrote:

>     Has anyone gotten or no how to get a Diamond Multimedia Fireport
> SCSI adapter card working with linux????
>
> When I try to boot using a boot floppy for scsi it does not reconise the
> HD's?

Mine worked fine when installing RH 6.1 for the first time.  Make sure SCSI
support is in the kernel you are using to boot from!  RedHat has lost of
information online about exactly how to do this.

There is also a HOWTO that will get you through it step by step.

-BobC

------------------------------

From: Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I-opener and linux: 128meg really helps!
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 03:26:00 GMT

just as an fyi, my kernel build HALVED when I went from the stock
32meg sodimm to a 128meg stick.  from a half hour (2.2 series) to 15
minutes.

add the winchip2 as an upgrade and I'm hoping it will be less than 10 minutes.

so the rumors of the i-opener NOT using more than 64meg are a lie.
run 'free' and it does show 128meg.

fyi,

--
Bryan, http://Grateful.Net (ANTISPAM: email is my name at my web's domain)

(c) 2000.  Publishing and/or relaying of this material on all forums other than
USENET implies agreeing to a consultancy fee of US$150 per posting.  You must
obtain a written permit before you publish.  Violators are subject to civil
prosecution for Copyright Infringement as applicable.  Publication by C|NET
and Microsoft Networks expressly prohibited.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: modem drivers
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dragos A. Manolescu)
Date: 03 Apr 2000 22:41:37 -0500

>>> Alberto Gómez writes:

You can find links to it from:

        http://www.kcdata.com/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

I have tried it, it didn't work right (modem responded to AT commands
only sometimes and never got past ATDT...) and then pulled it out and
now I use a PCMCIA modem with a ISA-PCMCIA card. However, if you
manage to get pctel.o to work, I'd like to know what you did.

HTH,

-Dragos

ag> I heard that Pctel released some Winmodem drivers, but I haven´t found them
ag> yet. Do you know where can I get them?

------------------------------

Subject: kernel processor type for AMD-K6-2
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dragos A. Manolescu)
Date: 03 Apr 2000 22:47:38 -0500

I find AMD's naming scheme of the K6 family pretty confusing. What
processor type should I select when I build a new kernel for an
AMD-K6-2, "PPro/6x86MX" or "Pentium/K6/TSC"? I thought the K6-2 has
the additional goodies of the PPro (plus the 3D-now stuff). I could be
wrong though... Thanks!

-Dragos

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: Need a clean hard disk
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 03:45:38 GMT

No, he can't LLF that drive.
Best he can do is zero-fill it (which is what the so-called LLF
utilities will do).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (eyez)
Subject: Creative SB PCI 128 Troubles .. =(
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 03:47:44 GMT

Before Posting, I apologize for asking a question that has
been asked frequently as of late. I've already searched
recent articles in usenet and haven't been successful in
finding The Answer, nor has watching usenet the past week,
Although i've no clue If my question is the exact same.

I'm having Problems with a Recently purchased SB PCI128.
It refuses to produce any sound output whatsoever. I've
tried compiling the es1371 driver into the kernel, and
as a module. Here's The output i get from mpg123:

eyez@xanielle:/mp3> mpg123 -v Futurama-main_theme.mp3
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
Version 0.59q (1999/Jan/26). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Playing MPEG stream from Futurama-main_theme.mp3 ...
MPEG 1.0, Layer: III, Freq: 44100, mode: Joint-Stereo, modext: 0, BPF : 417
Channels: 2, copyright: No, original: Yes, CRC: No, emphasis: 0.
Bitrate: 128 Kbits/s, Extension value: 0
Audio: 1:1 conversion, rate: 44100, encoding: signed 16 bit, channels: 2
Frame#    25 [ 6540], Time: 00:00.65 [02:50.84],
[0:00] Decoding of Futurama-main_theme.mp3 finished.
eyez@xanielle:/mp3>

It freezes there, on ANY mp3, at either frame 25 or 24. I have
to hit Ctrl-C.

When I attempt to play an Audio cd, the cd light goes on and is
Nice and happy, but no sound output. Also, if i attempt to play
a Wav file, It acts like it's playing the .wav, and plays for
the entire EXACT duration of the .wav, and exits normally, no
errors.

My initial Thoughts were that it may be a defective card, so I
returned it to the store it came from and exchanged it for the
exact same model. A friend of mine who works for the store has
the very same model, which works fine in linux. I'm wondering
if there may be any type of hardware Conflicts, but I'm unsure
of how to verify this. lspci finds my device happily, and
/proc (from what i can tell. i'm not an expert in dealing with
.proc yet) seems to report everything correctly. And /dev/dsp
gives no errors and doesn't complain about being written to.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find the Cause of this.
here is a description of my system: IBM Aptiva C3E-2161,
64 Megs Ram, P233MMX Proc, Running Debian/GNU Linux Potato,
with kernel 2.2.14.

Thanks in Advance.

--
Rando Christensen

From: John Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIC disappeared
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 03:56:03 GMT

Jonah wrote:

> I have a RH6.1 machine that I am trying to make into a firewall.  I had a
> kernel that allowed me to use 2 NIC's but after building a rule set I found
> that ip masq probably wasn't turned on.  So I decided to upgrade and
> rebuild it.  Now 1 of my NIC's has disappeared.  what was eth0 is now
> unreachable and eth1 is now eth0.  I've done teh /sbin/modprobe ne io=0x300
> ( the address of the eth0 I want) and once that is complete and I perform
> teh ifup eth0 I check the card by executing the ifconfig command and I see
> that the card at 0x260 was loaded into eth0 and that the device eth1
> doesn't exist...

When you rebuilt the kernel, did you follow 'make bzImage' or whichever,
with these two:
make modules
make modules_install  ?
You might be missing a driver for one of your NICs.  I've never been
able to get dissimilar NICs to work together, though.  The box I'm using
has two NICs, and I noticed that my /etc/conf.modules contains this
line:  alias eth0 3c509  (along with a lot of stuff I commented out
after floundering around).  I do not know whether this is doing anything
at the moment.

------------------------------

From: John Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec ADP1505A and Linux RH6.1 SCSI
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:11:44 GMT

IgoR wrote:

> I would like to use my SCSI CDWR on my Linux box
> ( stock RH6.1  kernel 2.2.12-20 ).
> More than a week I am trying to make my SCSI card running.
> I have Adaptec AHA1505A card. It is an ISA card.
> It does not matter what I do , I am not able to load module
> for this card.  I am always getting  the following
> message:
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/scsi/aha152x.o: init_module: Device or resource
> busy

I get the same error trying to install an AHA-2930CU in a RH5.1 box I
have upgraded to the 2.0.38 kernel.  I already have an IDE CDRW working
in this box, but I cannot get the
actual SCSI adapter past the Device or resource busy message.  I know
the card is OK, because I have it working under DOS, but I've tried a
lot of kernel and module settings and nothing works.  I think we should
try posting to a kernel newsgroup, maybe those folks can tell us who
init_module is...

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Video-card for windows 98 and redhat 6.0
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Apr 2000 00:18:11 -0400

Bart Kevelham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Here's my problem.
>
> I want to buy a video-card for my computer (a Pentium III 450)
> It has to work with w98 and redhat 6.0
> It also has to have some 3D support because I'm running flightsimulator
> 2000 pro under W98.
>
> What is a good video-card for a reasonable price?

Just a note -- 6.0 was released quite some time ago.  It is possible that few
video cards currently on the market would be supported.  If you rev up to 6.1,
or preferably 6.2 which was just released you might be happier.  Since I don't
play Windows games I can't say what is good for them.  I believe recent Linuxes
have support for Matrox, 3dfx, Voodoo Banshee, nVidia.  I have a Matrox G400
Millenium Max, and it is supported by Red Hat Linux 6.2 (note, I did have
problems with the MAX when I tried to put it in an 233 Mhz Pentium-II on an
ABIT LX motherboard, but it works fine on the 500 Mhz Pentium-III).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company.
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: "Igor T." <none@all>
Subject: Re: Intel 2100 DSL modem?
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 23:48:48 -0500

This toy have killed Linux on my PC:{
There's no driver now, there's no driver in the foreseeable future,
i even did consider to start dev of such driver -- could not find any
info and i'm too lazy to explore Intel's code under debugger.
If you can get Cisco 675 you should not have troubles -- it works
via Ethernet netcard, just pick up any which works under Linux.
On ebay you may get used 675 for about $150.

--
Best regards,
Igor.

"The Supreme Overlord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:8brrl5$6jo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Michael Hofmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Speed of AMD K6-2 System
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 07:25:14 +0200

Julian Lee wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I need some help! I just bought one of the new AMD 'EasyNow' PCs. It's
> one of those 'non-legacy' PCs running on an AMD K6-2 450 and it's
> soooooo slow! Let me give you some specs first:
>
> AMD K6-2 450
> 512k cache
> 128MB PC100 SDRAM
> SiS530 sharing 8MB ram
> 4.3GB Seagate HD on an SiS5513 controller
> SiS900 10/100 ethernet card
> SiS7018 sound card
> USB Keyboard & Mouse

Sorry I can't help you there but one thing is for sure: it's NOT the
K6-2 as another poster suggested. I'm running an AMD K6-2 350 with 128
MB RAM and it's quick enough for all my needs. I could imagine a problem
with the shared RAM for the SiS though.

Good luck,
Michael

------------------------------

From: Robert McCormick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: cpuinfo reports no cache on PIII coppermine
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 23:39:11 -0500

Hi,

I have a Tyan S1837UANGR.  I noticed on Tyan's website that in one place (the
place I looked) they claim that 100MHz FSB coppermines are supported, but on
another page at their site they claim that my particular board revision is not.
The problem is that my motherboard revision is "H" and Tyan says that in order
to use the coppermine you need a revision "G", or "J" and higher (skips the
"H").  I received an email from Tyan saying that the revision letters denote
physical changes in the motherboard, not merely a BIOS revision. So it may be
that merely upgrading the BIOS is enough to get the coppermine to boot, but in
order to properly use the cache a slight board modification is necessary...a
modification that my board does not have.

FYI, I was able to successfully install Win98 as well as Linux and they both
ran great with the exception that both OS' claimed that I had no cache :( .
Unfortunately though, without some sort of real "proof" that the cache is
working properly I don't  want to take any chances.

Hope this added bit of info helped.

Robert

------------------------------

From: Barnet Wagman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Hardware Vendor
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 00:46:14 -0500

==============73A374594F8DC4E0E9B2F895

Does anyone have any experiences with companies that
sell pre-loaded Linux systems? Or has anyone ever
seen a review of any of them?

I don't actually care about having Linux pre-loaded, but
it would be great to get a system without having to check
on the compatibility of components (video boards, sound boards,
etc.)

People always speak highly of VA Systems, but unfortunately
they don't have anything like what I need.

Regards

--
Barnet Wagman

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============73A374594F8DC4E0E9B2F895

Does anyone have any experiences with companies that
<pre>--&nbsp;
Barnet Wagman

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "Michael Faurot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multi-port Tulip config q's
Date: 4 Apr 2000 05:55:18 GMT

Trevor Coghlan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have a 4 port DEC tulip based PCI ethernet card that I am trying to
: configure.

Cool.  By chance do you know where to get these or the two-port
variety cheaply?

: eth0 starts and works correctly.  However eth1 to eth3 receive get this
: message on startup:

: Setting up network device eth1
: SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

: I assume that I need to add some statement in the modules.conf file, but
: haven't been able to determine what it is.

: Any suggestions ??

I don't have one of these, but do have two tulip based cards in my
system.  Have you tried something along these lines?

alias eth0 tulip
alias eth1 tulip
alias eth2 tulip
alias eth3 tulip

 Michael | mfaurot  | May your camel be as swift as the wind.
 Faurot  | atww.net |