  Re: /dev/cdrom not a valid block device (Matthias Mulumba LUMALA)

From: "hartmut.piechowiak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: Need a clean hard disk
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:01:51 +0200

Jake schrieb in Nachricht <8cfbpr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I doubt the /s would be needed.
>
>Jake

Sorry, you´re right.

format c: /q /u/

------------------------------

From: "Jose Luis Gonzalez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Drivers
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:26:46 +0200

Hello,

I'm very interesting in knowing about what drivers of devices I can manage
from Linux.

I've to talk to Videoconference and network .... but I don't know if I can
look any information in any web, how-to, etc

Thanks in advance

Jose Luis

From: "Martin Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Maxtor HD IRQ Timeouts - System Hangs :(
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 14:41:20 GMT

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried leaving it for a few minutes but the drives appear totally
dead, even if I do a soft reset  they don't come back to life. How long
should I expect to give it before rebooting?

> Have you tried leaving it for a while? The IDE drivers should eventually
> reset the IDE bus and continue.

I'm sure I have tried disabling DMA in the  past (I've had this annoying
problem for approx. six months now) - I shall it give it another bash just
in case.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Sony TSL-9000 DAT Autoloader/Phobos P430 Quadport net card
From: Gordon McLennan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 07:55:21 -0700

I don't know if this is of any help, but we too have a Dell 4300
and TSL 9000 running Microsoft Small Business Server (NT4
server). We use Arcserve 6.5 plus the Tape Library Option. Is
there Arcserver for Linux?

From: Vsevolod Ilyushchenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: Creative 128PCI problem
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 10:57:19 -0400

David wrote:

> I use the SB 128 PCI sound card and use the es1370 driver and it works
> without problems on RH 6.1

Could you please post your modules.conf?

Simon
--
 _________
|       x |   Simon (Vsevolod ILyushchenko)     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| y = e   |                                    (current address)
|_________|   Life is file...
http://www.simonf.com
                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Disclaimer: This is not me.                    (lifetime address)
This is just my mailer talking to your mailer...

------------------------------

From: Jonathan DeSena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound card problem:  Ensoniq ES1371 audio PCI-97 chip set
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 10:59:22 -0400

I have the same card and have not been able to get it to work in Linux yet for
over 6 months despite many attempts using various techniques (including ALSA).   I
have the same problem: everything loads ok, but no sound at all .  There was a
thread in October about this card  (specifically rev 6) regarding DMA timeouts
which I followed, but never got a solution and eventually the thread died.   It
was reported that later revisions of the chip did not work with the ES1371 driver
as written for early incarnations.  I do not know if there has been a fix, but I
have updated drivers continuosly with no results.

If you are still having problems, I wonder if you see any resources listed for the
card under /proc/dma -- my SBAWE64 on another computer reports to be using DMA 5
(I think), but the ES1371 does not report any DMA.   Perhaps this is part of the
problem.

If it now works for you, please let me know what you did in great detail.

Jon

------------------------------

From: "Simon Stuart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel Prototype Machine Delivers Strange Memory Info
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:15:49 GMT

Intel lent us a fancy prototype PIII with RAMBUS memory. Runs fine with NT
4.0 and 2000.

I installed Redhat 6.2 and later, Caldera Open Linux. Both installations ran
OK.

Booting Redhat, the GUI came up with all sorts of low memory errors and ran
like a dog. Booting Caldera, KDE would just thrash the disk continuously
until I gave up.

Opting for safe mode in Caldera, I brought up a terminal and ran 'free'.
Here's the result:

Mem:         14556      14124        432       1764        384       1068
-/+ buffers/cache:      12672       1884
Swap:            0          0          0

The machine has 128Mb in it. Admittedly. I'm from a Windows background, but
in my limited Linux experience, these numbers look a lot lower than I was
expecting.

Is this right?

Simon
Australia

------------------------------

From: Greg Wimpey <greg.wimpey@waii*removetomail*.com.invalid>
Subject: Re: CD's play but there is no sound
Date: 05 Apr 2000 09:09:37 -0600

Craig Peterein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Greg Wimpey wrote:
> > CDs and sounds (WAVs, MP3s, etc) play fine
> > through the speakers under Win98.  Under RH6.0, sound samples play
> > correctly.  However, using the GNOME CD player, the CD spins, but no
> > music through the speakers.
>
> IIRC, this can be fixed with "aumix -c R" on RH6.0.  Just fix the
> cd launcher's "Command" to be "aumix -c R;gtcd".  It's also fixed
> in either 6.1 or 6.2 (I have 6.2 and the cd player is fine).
>
> HTH,

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
--
Greg Wimpey

------------------------------

From: Greg Wimpey <greg.wimpey@waii*removetomail*.com.invalid>
Subject: Re: Linux with Cisco 605 internal xDSL modem
Date: 05 Apr 2000 09:14:09 -0600

Robert Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I currently have a dsl connection to the internet and would like to use
> this connection under linux. Is there a way to use this modem under the
> linux environment?

Last time I checked, this modem used Windows drivers for which there
are no equivalents under Linux (and no plans to provide any).

It's sort of the DSL version of a Winmodem.  The external DSL modems
use Ethernet connections to connect to your computer, so they will
work fine if you use Linux (assuming you have a supported Ethernet NIC).
Although, many DSL providers set up their external modems to use
network address translation (NAT), which may or may not cause you
problems, depending on which Internet services you use.

--
Greg Wimpey
Opinions my own, not my employer's.

------------------------------

From: "Jamie McMahon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Abit BP6
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:20:46 GMT

I'm having a problem with a recently purchased Abit BP6 board (uncertain of
Rev. number).  I have dual Celeron 466 CPU's on the board, with 256 MB Ram.
I have three OS's on the machine (Win98, WinNT, and Linux).  The computer
will occasionally freeze on me, requiring a reset.  No keyboard or mouse
responce is present.  The most common occurance is while running Linux, and
a virtual machine within Linux.  It appears to happen if there are several
programs running, foreground or background.  Could it be CPU, RAM,
powersupply, or other?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

------------------------------

From: rip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 10:27:38 -0500

James wrote:

>  I have an ESS 1869 plug and play audio drive on my computers motherboard.
>      My system dual boots with Linux Mandrake 7.0 but whenever I try to
> play an audio cd using one of the media players the cd spins in the drive
> and the timer in the player software starts counting but no music plays. I
> have tried configuring this with "sbdconfig" and linuxconf but nothing
> seems to work.
>      When I used sndconfig the samples played when I tested it at the end
> and system sounds that play when I log off work fine, but cd's just won't
> play.
>      Does anyone know how to fix this?
>
> Thankyou.
>          JL.

James,
This happened to me also with Mandrake 7.0.  I resolved it thusly.  Call
up a terminal and write "gmix".  Make sure all the record buttons are
pushed on the Line indicators.  You can adjust the volume too.  Hope it
works for you.
Rip

------------------------------

From: M. Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installation problem -- can't mount CD-ROM
Date: 5 Apr 2000 10:40:03 -0500

Hi folks! I'm hoping some kind soul will help a newbie with an
installation problem...

I'm trying to install Mandrake on a P-133 machine which currently has
no OS on it at all. I'm booting from a Mandrake floppy, and installing
(or trying to) from an official Mandrake CD.

But I can't even get the installation process going; the install
program can't mount the CD. I get these errors: "mount failed; no
medium found", and "I could not mount a CD on device /dev/hdb".

I'm pretty sure the CD drive is ATAPI compatible; it's IDE and plugs
right into the motherboard, anyway. It's a Sony CDU76E.

The CD itself seems fine; I installed Mandrake onto another box
without problems.

Any thoughts? I've poked around in the installation FAQs, but the
problems they address are all further down the line than I'm getting.

Thanks much in advance!

Mary P.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Dell PERC2/Si
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:34:54 GMT

Greetings,
I was also told that the Linux drivers were available for the PERC 2/si
controller at the location that cbenson specified.  I called Dell when I
had the same problems you encountered installing these drivers (I was
also installing RedHat 6.1).  This tech said that these are not the
correct drivers--they are for the PERC 2/sc, which is also an Adaptec
controller.  I was told the drivers for the 2/si would be available
early Feb 2000, two months ago.  The last I heard was, "any day now".
That was early March.  I was told to check this URL regularly:
http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/system.asp?sid=PWE_PNT_P03_2400&m=
l&p=4
Let me know if you hear anything....
They just posted Win2K drivers on 2/14/00  :-(  Hopefully Linux will be
next.
Tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony Hague)
Subject: Re: COM1 or COM2 for the ext. modem; whats optimal?
Date: 5 Apr 2000 15:28:15 GMT

In article <8cffcf$cvu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Sebastian Kaliszewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jan Panteltje wrote in message
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>>packet loss on a http connection may cause the connection to break.
>
>Until you only occasionaly loose packets, taht's non issue. Http uses TCP
>protocol which corrects packet loses untily the loss number is too high.
>(Too high means 30% or more).

In my experience, packet loss of about 10% on a ppp connection DOES
result from servicing ide interrupts, unless I set the 'unmaskirq'
flag, and that level of packet loss is sufficient to make web brousing
near impossibly slow.

Doing 'hdparm -u1 /dev/hda' has solved  packet loss problems
both on my home modem connection to my ISP, and between two
new-ish machines via a 9600 baud radio modem.

Tony.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Crossposted-To: comp.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Abit BP6
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:44:56 GMT

On Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:20:46 GMT, Jamie McMahon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm having a problem with a recently purchased Abit BP6 board
>(uncertain of Rev. number).  I have dual Celeron 466 CPU's on the
>board, with 256 MB Ram.  I have three OS's on the machine (Win98,
>WinNT, and Linux).  The computer will occasionally freeze on me,
>requiring a reset.  No keyboard or mouse responce is present.  The most
>common occurance is while running Linux, and a virtual machine within
>Linux.  It appears to happen if there are several programs running,
>foreground or background.  Could it be CPU, RAM, powersupply, or other?
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same board, and fought lockups for a long time. SMP is
inherently more complex, and thus maybe a number of reasons you could be
having these problems. Some suggestions:

 Get a late model kernel >= 2.2.14

 Get the QQ Beta BIOS (in the beta dir at Abit ftp site)

 Try moving cards around in PCI slots.

 Don't use the HPT UDMA66 controller, at least until you can eliminate
this as a possible source of problems.

 Don't OC (at least until stable).

Of course, you could always have flaky hardware too.

The QQ BIOS did the trick for me. It has helped many others too.

--
Hal B

From: Matthias Mulumba LUMALA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: /dev/cdrom not a valid block device
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 17:52:17 +0200

Thank you for your help. I had not given all the details concerning my setup.
In fact it had nothing to do with the new kernel. My original Cdrom driver broke
down. It still could be detected by Linux and Win98 (mine is a dual boot machine),
but it would fail to read anything in either OS. So I took it back to the vendor
who exchanged it for a new one. When I installed it using the Ide1 connector I saw
it was working fine under Windows but not under Linux!
What I examined the "dmesg" output I found out that the device was hdd and not
hdc. The jumper was on Slave rather than Master. When I typed:
"mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc  /mnt/cdrom " the cdrom got mounted this time.

Buy putting the jumper on Master I managed to get the original command working
i.e. mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom. /dev/cdrom being the link to /dev/hdc.
                                      Matthias