  Re: Adaptec AHA1520B SCSI card problems (mark carroll)

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: External Modem`s
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:49:51 -0500

Ali wrote:

> Will any external modem work with linux or is it specific brands.
> Also are ISA modems easy enough to set up.
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Ali

Any modem will work as long as it is not a winmodem.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: help! ethernet
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 19:49:39 GMT

my physical ethernet seems to be working.  the driver is installed in
the kernel, and half way through the bootup, the ethernet light starts
blinking.  then, after a few minutes, the light goes out and no ethernet
:(

any advice? also, is there a way to "capture" or somehow get all the
stuff that scrolls by during the boot?

(still trying to get floppy working, of course!)

Nils_h

Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: A Guy Called Tyketto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: trouble installing 3com 3c509B TOP card
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:00:26 GMT

------------------------------

From: Simon Lemieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Water cooling system
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:07:06 GMT

Hi,
        I currently have one Celeron 433 which is Always functioning at 100% of
capacity ( i always have a few animation renders of povray runing with low
priority)...  when the CPU is not in use it's at 38C and when it's at 100%
capacity it's at 40-42C...  I have a fan on the CPU which expulse the heat out
into the room...  That's fine... but the room in which the heat is expulsed is
actually my bedroom...  and this summer it's kind of real hot in it...  And
since I'm going to buy another computer in a month or two to make a
supercomputer I figured I could probably not survive the heat!

        That's why I thought about a water cooling system, the heat could be given to
the water passing through some tube and back into a reservoir...  That reservoir
could then heat my bedroom unless I  added ice into it!  And of course a fish
pump would be more silent, since I could have only one fish pump for all the
tubing network across all my computers!

        The only detail would be the little device that would catch heat from the CPU,
the heatsink should be modified to fit my water requirement...

        Has anybody work on the subjet, can anybody direct my to a few documentation
webpage or a FAQ, primer.... anything!  Or if you have any other suggestion that
wouldn't cost much (I'm quite out of cash!)

Any help would be VERY apreciated ;)
Thanks,
        Simon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to change BIOS setting from ATA66 to ATA33
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:09:05 GMT

I attempting to install Linux on my machine and it doesn't recognize the
ATA66 driver.  I simply want to change the setting from ATA66 to ATA33,
install Linux, add the ATA66 module to the kernal and then change the setting
back to ATA66.  I would appreciate any help that you could give.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:14:33 GMT

I'm attempting to install Linux on my machine and it doesn't recognize
the ATA66 driver.  I simply want to change the setting from ATA66 to
ATA33, install Linux, add the ATA66 module to the kernal and then change
the setting back to ATA66.  However, I don't know how to modify this
setting.  I would appreciate any help that you could give.

Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ##HELP!!!!!## RAID question....
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:19:59 GMT

Hi,

I installed a MegaRaid in RedHat 6.2 box this morning.  Back in 6.0,
the drivers weren't quite up to para.  AMI has the latest driver on
their website and instructions on how to get going with 6.0.

Hope this helps,

John

In article <8id468$3km$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "unclebob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi there all,
> I've got an old HP NETSERVER 5/75 LC.
> I have just scored a NetRAID-1 contoller, with following specs;
> - 4MB Cache
> - Firmware A.04.01
>
> I have 2 hard-drives attached as follows;
> - HP D4911A (Made by IBM)
> - 9.1GB
>
> I have been trying to install Redhat 6.0.
> I have used the drives in a striped configuration (RAID 0).
>
> Upon install, Redhat detects the adapter as AMI MegaRAID adapter. The
card
> is actually a re-badged AMI MegaRAID 428 (this is listed as a
supported
> device in the www.redhat.com support pages.)
>
> Once the card is detected, it attempts to locate the MBR for a
partition
> table (I assume) and at this point spits the dummy.
>
> Any ideas???????
>
> I'd hate to have to NT as Linux and SCO are the only supported
UNIX-type

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: ATT: Dance with Crows pls read again! Need your help pls!
Date: 17 Jun 2000 16:35:17 EDT

[posted and mailed]
On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:33:15 +0100, turbo
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
[massive snip]

What in the seven circles of hell was *THAT*?  And why did you feel the
need to post it *twice*?

It is incredibly bad form to post HTML to Usenet.  It is even worse to
post very long messages to an unmoderated group like this one.  What takes
the cake, though, is the fact that your gigantic post contained *NO USEFUL
INFORMATION* that you hadn't already posted!

Usenet is a globally distributed medium.  If you post a 300K message, that
message will be stored on hundreds if not thousands of servers worldwide--
taking up disk space on every server, and wasting network bandwidth every
time it is transferred to another server or a person with a newsreader.

>Hi I've sent you the spec of the computer. Would you pls check it over to
>make sure it is linux compatible?  The video adaptor is 32 nVida M64 TNT
>2X will that work under linux.  Pls find the spec in a attachment.

That wasn't even close to a detailed spec.

I reiterate:  TNT2 video cards will work with Xfree86 >= 3.3.5.  All
modern distros, including Redhat 6.2, ship with 3.3.5 or higher.  The
Soundblaster 64V is either an ES1371, an ES1370, or an emu10k.  All of
those are supported, and Redhat's "sndconfig" program will find them and
set them up correctly--just run sndconfig as root, from the command line.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\  "Man could not stare too long at theface
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \ of the Computer or her children and still

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: Water cooling system
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:57:19 GMT

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:07:06 GMT, Simon Lemieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Has anybody work on the subjet, can anybody direct my to a few documentation
>webpage or a FAQ, primer.... anything!  Or if you have any other suggestion that
>wouldn't cost much (I'm quite out of cash!)

I ran into a homemade howto on this, but can't recall where. Maybe
overclockers.com. The guy used an aquarium pump, and a 2 litre empty
coke bottle, etc. Sounded _interesting_ ...

--
Hal B

From: "B. Joshua Rosen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:09:16 -0400

Simple physics, the heat has to go somewhere. Running it thru a fish
tank just means that you are going to be making chowder while you are
heating your room. So tip number 1, try adding a dash of sherry to the
chowder, delicious. Tip number 2, buy an air conditioner.

------------------------------

From: "Jeremy Gregorio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Quick Question
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:15:13 -0700

    Does anyone know of any problems with the new Microsoft Intellimouse
Explorer and Linux? I love the idea of an optical mouse that works on any
surface but if it's not going to work I don't want to blow $70 bucks. Thanks
in advance.

Jeremy Gregorio

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: all-in-one printer/scanner/fax for linux
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:25:44 -0700

There isn't a multifunction device specifically made for Linux, but there
are drivers for several of the HP OfficeJet devices.  These sites may be
useful:
http://hpoj.bstc.net/index.shtml
http://www.linhardware.com/db/searchproduct.cgi?name=multifunction

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec AHA1520B SCSI card problems
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:27:43 -0700

The workaround posted on LhD _might_ be helpful:
http://www.linhardware.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?614

news:8ig1g9$gg6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video card suggestion
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:32:08 -0400

I have decided to build my own computer and will be building a 850MHz Athlon
with an Asus K7V motherboard.  I'm going to install the newest version of
Mandrake and I'd like to know what 32MB AGP video card works the best with
Mandrake.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I'm looking for something
that will have minimal configuration problems.  Thanks

Kevin

------------------------------

From: "Nathan Appleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Quick Question
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:38:39 -0700

Looks like at least one person has it working under SuSE:
http://www.linhardware.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?749

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Kevin J Dressel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: RH Kudzu hardware detection?
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 16:34:10 -0500

I've got RH 6.1, and my something went nuts with Kudzu, so I decided to
upgrade to the version that comes with 6.2.  However, it tells me I need
libpopt.so.0 or something.  Anyway, does anyone know which dependencies
I need to install for kudzu to work right (what rpm files, etc.)?

Thanks,
Kevin

           ===> AllAdvantage.Com <===

http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=HCF-292

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark carroll)
Date: 17 Jun 2000 21:44:59 GMT

Thanks! I now actually have it working as a module. Setting the
options as I was doing may not have been working correctly, as putting
the options into /etc/modules.conf and using modprobe instead of
insmod seems to be working. (-: So, anyone else who has problems,
I'm happy to mail bits of my setup.

-- Mark