From: "Darren Eccles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ADSL in uk - USB connector
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 12:13:14 +0100

Does anyone have any info on connecting a linux router to a BT ADSL link.
Apparently the modem has a USB connector.

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Please help me evaluate this hardware's compatability with Linux
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 07:24:35 -0400

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:40:01 GMT, phil ossifer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Help!    I did a dumb thing.  Bought a system intending to run Linux on it
>without checking out these groups first.  I know I 've transgressed greatly, but
>
>it is a bit late for recriminations.
>
>I have the system on 15-day appoval, but the approval ends Saturday and I will
>lose internet access as well as be tied up on a family emergency until the
>Friday,  so  I am kind of frantic.
>
>Sorry to be so needy, but responses like "check this URL" or "call the company"
>just won't hellp me.   I've paionted myself in a corner and damn well know it.
        Have you tried install Suse on it yet? If you have did it
work? what hardware did not get recognized?
        ok as for the network card driver. have you ever used GCC
before? what does the instructions for the driver say? Makefiles?
INSTALL text files?

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 09:47:11 -0500
From: tabascox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape Drives - how do you backup?  + HELP

Hey DAT friends,

I have a DDS 2 and I cannot store all the 4GB I want in a DDS2 tape.
here are my commands:

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nst0 setblk 8192
mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression 1
tar cpMvl -b 16 -f /dev/nst0   /home
mt -f /dev/nst0 eject

actually "du /home" gives 3.6 GB (most files are gz or bz2) but around
3.2GB the tape
ends and I have to feed the driver with another tape.
Am I mistaking the block size ???

Thanks

Stefano

------------------------------

From: "Andrew P. Billyard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Graphics Accelerator Card
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 13:59:14 GMT

Forgive me if this has been asked a million times, but....

I currently have a Rage IIc as a video card in my Linux Box (running Red
Hat 6.2, with 128 Megs on a K6-2/500 CPU) and I was considering buying a
graphics accelerator card (I downloaded Quake III arena  to try.....its
like watching a slide show!).  Does anyone have any recommendations on a
good, but reasonably inexpensive accelerator card?

In respect to asking previous asked questions, are there any archives to
these newsgroups?

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Prob with booting linux
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:08:22 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000 13:27:02 -0400, "s_kolli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi!
>              I have a Suse linux 6.3 with Kernel SMP 2.2.13 installed on my
>machine.It was actually working fine before but then to find out the exact
>place of the kernel i made a change in the makefile.When i rebooted it,the
>machine froze at saying "Calibrating APIC timer..."

If you are getting this far, the LILO boot loader has finished.  This message
would be coming from the kernel initialization codes.  The reason you can boot
from the floppy is that you probably have an intact kernel/initrd.  Copy those
files to your hard drive to replace the faulty kernel.

Always keep a fallback kernel around.  LILO has a fallback facility to handle
the failure of an experimental kernel to boot properly.

--John

>   I'm able to boot it from a boot floppy from suse linux 6.3 but it is not
>booting the machine from the hard drive.I don't know how i should make it
>work from the hard drive also.
>  Before my machine froze,the changes which i made are
>   i looked at /etc/lilo.conf file,
>  where the image=/boot/vmlinuz
>   In the /usr/src/linux directory, in the MAKEFILE,i made the change for
>the install path=/boot where it was initially (before the reboot)given as
>/boot/vmlinuz.
>  i did 'make install' and rebooted the machine,and that's when it froze.
>  This is the stage at which i am in.I thought i will explain the situation
>at which it stopped working.If you have any idea about this,can you suggest
>me as to what i can do?
>   How can i make a back up at least now before i make any more changes.
>
>    I appreciate your help. Thank you,
>                Santhi

LILO version 21.4.4 (20-Jun-2000) source at
ftp: sd.dynhost.com   dir:  /pub/linux/lilo

------------------------------

From: Rob van der Putten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X on TV
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:09:23 +0200

Hi there

Benjamin Woo wrote:

> I'm sure someone has done it, but I'd like to set up my ATI
> All-In-Wonder to run X on my TV-out (using NTSC). Has anyone been
> successful?

You can even do this with a regular VGA card;
http://www.sput.signature.nl/hardware/tv-x.html
Provided you can drive your TV with RGB of course.

Regards,
Rob
|              Rob van der Putten, [EMAIL PROTECTED]               |
|            http://www.sput.signature.nl/spam-policy.html             |

From: Rob van der Putten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X on TV  --  Here's how it's done!
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:14:07 +0200

Hi there

Valentin Guillen wrote:

> When VGA was released by IBM, the original specification called for a
> 2?.? vertical refresh rate (25.1 maybe or maybe closer to 27 or 28 Hz,
> hard to remember that far back).

It's 60 Hz vertical and 31.5 kHz horizontal.
The dotclock is 28.175 MHz.

From: "B. Joshua Rosen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Graphics Accelerator Card
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:44:06 -0400

To look up archived newsgroup posts goto http://www.dejanews.com.

From: "Joseph Bowling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: DSL DRIVERS???
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:59:01 -0400

like Hal said, nope nope nope.
stinks, eh?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: David Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.network,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: modem problems with linux
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:13:37 +0000

"jim, jan & jason salotti" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Gotta problem with a modem! System is running Caldera 2.4 edesktop with kde.
> We have a askey V1433VQH-U modem. Using kppp to dail and the connection and
> the chat script keeps timing out. We need a patch or drivers or instructions
> on how to fix. We are newbees so keep it as simple as possible.
>
> thanks,
> Jim & Jason Salotti

Figure out how to turn the DEBUG mode on for kppp AND the chat
program that it calls and then trace the output. Usually output
is logged to /var/log/messages.

--
David Pace - Free commodity/stock graphing software
and Linux links at http://www.daveware.com

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: monitor
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 09:40:20 -0500

Olabrems wrote:

> my monitor is not listed in the monitor list,what can i do to do the
> configuration as i don't know amny command line for linux .help!!

Just configure XFree86 to use a generic SVGA monitor.  You can
always tweak it up later if you discover a way or need to improve
things.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: K6 problem
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:59:52 GMT

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 18:06:11 +0200, Marcus Lauer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Scott Alfter wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>Carlos Franscico Sampaio Bonafé
>>       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>I have a K6-2 300Mhz with 64MB of RAM, all programs crash after some
>>>time of use...
>>>The motherboard is made by pc100 and I suspect it is causing the
>>>troubles
>>
>>It's the motherboard.  PCChips motherboards are notorious for their
>>flakiness.
>
>        Did he say PCChips, or PC100?  The latter is a memory specification for
>SDRAM capable of running on a 100Mhz bus.
>
>                                                           Marcus Lauer

PCChips is selling motherboards under the PC100 label. Some of them
work fine, some don't. There have always been quality issues with any
of the boards from the PCChips family (PC100, Amptron, Alton, Houston,
and many others)

webCOMBO - America's Free Internet Access Provider
http://www.webcombo.net

------------------------------

From: Ahmed Abukmail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Java Classes Not found.
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:08:15 GMT

Hello, I am new to Java, and I am trying to learn it from the Deitel &
Deitel book. One of their examples used the Javax.swing.JOptionPane
class, and I get the error message

Welcom4.java:3: Class javax.swing.JOptionPane not found.

I installed the RPM for jdk-1.1.6 and this class didn't seem to come
with it. Can you tell me how to obtain this class and if there are any
more classes that you think might be needed for java on Linux I would
greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Ahmed

From: Dan Kegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware
Subject: Re: Solved? (was: Asus P2B-D, dual PIII-650MHz, SMP not working right)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 09:27:47 -0700

James Knowles wrote:

> > I installed the vanilla 2.2.16 + alan cox's combo errata patch
> > and configured a very simple kernel, the problem went away.
>
> Did you flash the BIOS? This sounds like a kernel problem, not
> necessarily a RedHat problem. My P2B-D is about a year and a half old
> and has worked flawlessly on all RH versions to date.

The BIOS is the very latest; I checked.  It's definitely a
problem with generic Red Hat 6.2.  Even Red Hat admits it!
I was flabbergasted.  Red Hat needs to improve their quality
control.

If your Red Hat 6.2 system ever swaps (i.e. runs low on memory),
you should consider either installing a vanilla 2.2.16 kernel
or applying Red Hat's latest patch.  I just wasted a day trying
to track down what looked like a hardware problem in my new system.
When building the kernel with 'make -j2 bzImage' to see how fast
the dual CPUs would go, it failed if I had X running (on my 32 MB system).
Updating the kernel fixes it.

See
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHBA-2000013-01.html
which says

"Under extremely heavy load, data corruption can occur if a page fault
occurs during a task switch between kernel space and user space on x86
platforms. This problem may affect customer systems, particularly systems
that are swapping to disk very heavily (thrashing), or are otherwise very
heavily loaded. Lightly loaded servers are unlikely to be affected. This
issue affects all x86 compatible systems running the kernels listed below.

*** Red Hat, Inc. suggests that all x86 systems running Red Hat Linux 6.2
and/or the 2.2.13-0.13, 2.2.14-5.0, and 2.2.14-6.1 kernels upgrade to
this latest kernel release. ***"

http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHBA-2000018-10.html
is the latest version of that patch, btw.  And plain old
2.2.16 and later don't suffer from this problem.
- Dan

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.