From: ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: graphic tablet
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:49:55 +0100

Bruce Stephens wrote:

> ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I've looked around a bit and can't find a definitive answer to the
> > following.
> >
> > What graphic tablet can I easily use to drive gimp with a vanilla
> > kernel 2.2.14 (without using IR or USB) i.e. serial or PS2
> > connection. The wacom stuff seems to be most talked about and I'm
> > aware there are modules for driving XF86 but is it a doddle ?
> > Basically I don't want to spend the money on one if I can only use
> > it in Windows like my bloody scanner !!
>
> The Wacom tablets seem to work fine.  The Graphire tablets are pretty
> cheap, and you get a nice mouse as well as a pen.  However, the
> drawing area might be a bit small, depending on what you want it for.
> The Intuos series gives you tilt sensitivity (and rotation, for the
> mouse) as well as pressure (which is all the Graphire provides).  The
> Intuos tablets are significantly more costly.
>
> USB support isn't nearly as good as the serial support.  It's usable
> once you've got it working (and it's not so hard, although you do need
> to apply the USB kernel backport).
>
> Serial support is easy: just replace the XF86 module with a new one,
> and alter your XF86Config file as described.

Thanks Bruce,

I've just been and looked at both A6 versions at the 'jungle' website,
the graphire is about £ 77 UK  and the intuos £ 136 UK and there are
serial versions available of both.

The A6 area will be enough I think for just screen res. sketching /
retouching in Gimp. 'Tilt sensitivity' is getting a bit too
sophisticated for me though so I'll get the cheaper graphire (even
though I don't want the mouse !).

I appreciate your reply and post my experiences here when I've set up.

Cheers

Ross

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rosco
cut the nocrap to reply

------------------------------

From: "Stefan Viljoen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anybody got Ftape to work on...
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:55:37 +0200

Hi...

Same old question: anybody got ftape to work with Iomega Ditto Max Pro? I
know it is listed as supported in 4.02, but..

-How did you get it working? What /dev entry? How to get it to compile?

Did you use it under RH6? Kernel 2.2.5.15?

Fanx!

From: "Dennis Peacock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netscape to work on Mandrake
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:56:46 -0500

I have a new Mandrake Linux box up and running.  I can log into it via my
Win98 box.  My problem is that I have a new Zoom External 56K modem attached
to the Linux box and I can dial out to my ISP with the modem via kppp but I
can't seem to get Netscape to go out via the modem so I can get new updates
and cruze the web on my Linux box.  Any suggestions on how to get Netscape
to work via my dialup connection?  I am new to this so simple is good.

Thanks,
Dennis

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help me evaluate this hardware's compatability with Linux
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:18:56 -0700

Chem-R-Us wrote:

> phil ossifer wrote:
> >
> > ATX DTK-VAM-0070 EP-7KXA  VIA  133 AGP CHIPSET.  FSB200 / ULTRA DMA 66 /
> > ... / 1 AMR AGP SLOT 4X / AC97 AUDIO / 56 FLEX MODEM  (almost certainly a
> > winmodem) / 10-100 NET CARD / FLOPPY DRIVE.
>
> VIA Chipsets are supported in Linux. Make the appropriate choice when
> compiling the kernel (a distro kernel should be OK).
>
> UDMA66 requires kernel patching or a newer kernel (2.3-2.4):
> http://www.linux-ide.org

NOT with SuSE. :)

DMA, Soundblaster Live , etc., all default with SuSE 6.4.

-Alex blowfish.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: problem installing ethernet adaptor
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:16:17 GMT

It turned out that my Linksys LNE100TX NIC needed a newer
tulip driver than what comes with Redhat. I found everything
I needed at www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html. Unfortunately
the linux support info on the Linksys website was incomplete
and/or out of date.

But, I still can't connect with DSL. There's a problem
getting dhcp to work. I don't know if it has anything
to do with the NIC or not.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: avis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: computer bus
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:30:05 GMT

What is two function of a computer bus,
 I need one page on each.
                             Thank you

From: "Ez-Aton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Graphics Accelerator Card
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 01:31:01 +0200

I use Voodoo 3000. It works just like charm (better then on Windows). I d/l
the drivers from http://linux.3dfx.com and I'm very happy with it.
There are no drivers yet fr the Voodoo5500, but there are drivers (built in)
for the Riva TNT (1 and 2).
To use the GeForce, you need to d/l drivers.
Voodoo 2 has it's own howto, but it should be simple enough to install.

The bottom line: All the big ones but the Voodoo5500 - you'll find drivers
for!

--

Ez
Smoking doesn't kill.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:35:04 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
> computer manufacturer.
>
> Nevertheless, the only rough spot I've ever had in terms of Linux
> support is audio - the Aureal Vortex 2.  If you have one of those
> cards, your only option is to pay something like $25 for lousy,
> worthless, closed-source drivers from "OSS."
>
> > I hope to load Corel Linux (chosen because it is supposedly geared
> > to "easy install" to "learn the ropes" then move to either Suse,
> > Mandrake, or another "heavyweight" distribution later.
>
> Depending on what you mean by "heavyweight," Debian may be a better
> choice for you.
>
> > But by Friday I will need to decide to keep the system or chuck a
> > couple of week's work and start from scratch.  What would you
> > knowledgeable folk do?
>
> Buy a copy of Linux (any distribution, they all have pretty much the
> same basic hardware support) and try to install it and get everything
> working.  If you're missing some components, buy them from CompUSA or
> another store that has a don't-ask-don't-tell return policy.
>
> > The network card actually mentions Linux on the software disk!
> > Wonder of wonders.  The source code for the driver is there
> > (rtl8139.c by Donald Becker.), but the only instalation instructions
> > are Red Hat and Slackware.  Is it safe to presume that with some
> > help from here it will install on Corel/Suse/ or Mandrake.
>
> Yes.
>
> The driver is almost certainly also in the distribution Linux kernel.
> (Didn't Donald Becker write the ne2000 driver, too?)
>
> > The video cards I bought are Creative Labs Savage 4 AGP (S3 Savage 4
> > 128-bit chipset) and KASER Trio-8 (S3 Trio3d/2d chipset).  Neither
> > manufacturer mentions Linux on their website nor would tech support
> > offer any information about Linux drivers.  Is the information
> > needed available to the driver development team(s) or is Creative
> > and KASER stonewalling them?  Would you suggest returning these?
>
> Creative and KASER have nothing to do with it.  Try both cards with X
> (it's the only thing that will care).  The NVIDIA TNT2 is pretty cheap
> now, and I know it has good Linux support.  Be wary of the m64, as I
> believe it's a low-end spinoff.
>
> > Could anyone recommend a PCI video card with good Linux support
> > _and_ drivers for Win3.x (I need this until I get fully up to speed
> > on LInux.)
>
> Didn't somebody make VESA drivers for Win3.x?  That would just use the
> VESA BIOS calls for SVGA?  On a fast computer, you're not likely to
> notice the slowdown.
>
> > The Hard Drive is a WD Ultra 66.  No biggie, but I see their "break
> > the 8GB barier" software recognizes W9x/NT/OS-2 as other possible
> > partitions, but no mention of Linux.  Is there a possible problem
> > here?
>
> Don't use the software.  You don't need it.  Modern BIOSes will
> support >8GB drives out of the box, and overlay software is
> historically the source of 98% of all hard drive problems.

Just install SuSE, Mandrake or FreeBSD.  These three supports more new
hardware and better detections than most others, especially when
compared to Red Face.

> > The CDROM is a PINE PT-948A.  Seems kind of standard, thing comes
> > right up under DOS ( and "old" DOS is supported!  good sign, no?).
> > But of course no mention of Linux to be found in the documentation.
>
> If it's an ATAPI drive (i.e., if your BIOS detects and can boot from
> it), it'll work under Linux.
>
> > So, being a "programmer with a soldering iron", I'd really like to
> > keep an already running system it if it will be feasable to run
> > Linux on it.  Anyone have good experiences with
> > VTI/DTK/EPOX/AWARD/VIA regarding information disclosure to the Linux
> > development community?  Anyone have any BAD experience?
>
> I strongly dislike VIA, but I have to, because I own Intel stock.
>
> A little more seriously, I've never run into a single problem with any
> Intel product I've ever owned.  However, I have run into problems with
> every single Intel-alternative (VIA, AMD) product I've ever owned.  I
> know of a lot of people who run AMD processors on VIA chipsets quite
> happily, but I will never do it.

I've ran AMD K6-2 3DNow, VIA MVP with ZERO problem.

Mucho problems when I tried   OC the stupid Celeron (from reading too
much craps from Tomshardware and Sharkeyextreme. and I don't even like
games! ) It ran alright, but I won't bet on any OCed cpu. CPUs and
memory are dirt cheap thesedays.

I replaced the stupid, over-hyped Celerons with a couple of REAL P-3
Coppermines (SMP).
With SuSE 6.4, avtivated the 3D Now support does speed thing up.

Can't wait for a SMP mobo from Asus, or SuperMicro for the AMD T-Birds.

-Alex / blowfish

------------------------------

From: Rob Blomquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Microtek SlimScan C3
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:34:27 -0700

Is there any hope that I can get this scanner running under RH 6.2?

I see that SANE does not support it, but others from the Microtek clan....

Rob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Hoffmann)
Subject: Re: computer bus
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:49:20 GMT

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:30:05 GMT, avis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What is two function of a computer bus,
> I need one page on each.

Sounds like homework to me so ...

start here: http://www.computerhope.com/help/bus.htm

Go to any seach engine and look for "computer bus".  You will get lots
of hits.

------------------------------

From: Guy Maskall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Kensington Valumouse 3 button (PS/2) connected to serial port
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:54:46 +0100

I've been trying to get the above Kensington 3 button Valumouse to work
on redhat 6.1 running kernel 2.2.16. I don't have a PS/2 port, so
I tried connecting it to the serial port using the usual adaptor.

kudzu wouldn't recognise it at all in 'PC' mode and often had trouble
(with a segmentation fault or core dump) in 'MS' mode. I can get it to
work in MS mode but only as a 2 button mouse.

I checked out the linux hardware compatibility site and wasn't sure
whether this mouse had been reported to work with linux but no-one had
given a rating on it or whether it has yet to be reported as working. I
got the *impression* that it is reported to work but the driver referred
to is PS/2 so it could be that it only works fully if it is actually
connected to a PS/2 socket? I thought that the adaptor just physically
mapped pins, does it alter functionality also or is it just an artefact
that the driver that works (pc_keyb.c IIRC) is only for a 'proper' PS/2
connected device?

Is anyone able to cast light on these questions? Is there a way to get
this mouse to work with all 3 buttons? Are there any mice out there that
can be connected to the serial port on linux with 3 buttons (and work!)?

Is there such a beast as an expansion card that gives a PS/2 socket from
an ISA slot?

Cheers, Guy.

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with cdrecord
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:53:58 -0400

Dances With Crows wrote:

> If you have an ISO image, then the command is
> cdrecord -v dev=/dev/sgX speed=Y image.iso

This is interesting. If I'm wrong, please pardon my
ignorance, but I read both in the man page and in the
HOWTO that the dev parameter takes the form
dev=B,T,L where B is the SCSI buss, T is the target
device, and L is the LUN. Example: dev=0,1,0 (which
happens to be the configuration on my machine).
I didn't find anywhere the option to use a device
file as the dev parameter. Is this something that
was added to a version of cdrecord later than what
I'm using?

------------------------------

From: Alex Chudnovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anybody know how to decompress packages ending with .tar.bz2 ?
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:04:12 +0300

Kenneth Rørvik wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pierre) wrote in
> <u2Ta5.2231$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >I have a sound card not supported. I depend on ALSA. But I don't know
> >how to install the
> >packages with names ending with .tar.bz2.
>
> bunzip2 foo.tar.bz2; tar xpvf foo.tar :))
>
> --
> Kenneth Rørvik                91841353/22718452
> Steenstrupsgate 5 B   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 0554 OSLO             home.no.net/stasis

Or else :
tar xyvf foo.tar.bz2

Alex Chudnovsky
e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ : 35559910

------------------------------

From: Alex Chudnovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: linux:Unresolved symbol using 'insmod sg'
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:08:27 +0300

Carlos Villegas wrote:

> My goal is to have the 'sg module' load automatically.
>
> As root I typed:  'insmod sg'
> And I got this:
> Using /lib/modules/2.2.14/scsi/sg.o
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/scsi/sg.o: unresolved symbol
> is_reg_chrdev
>
> How can I get the sg module to load automatically given the above
> obsticle?
>
> --------------------------------------
> -- Carlos Villegas
> -- e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> -- Carlos Villegas
> -- e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Before you buy.

Try to use "modprobe sg" instead of "insmod sg" ( without the quotes).

Alex Chudnovsky
e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ : 35559910

------------------------------

From: "Ez-Aton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 01:53:40 +0200

Psheuw! Lot's of mess you had there.

Most system, using standard or standard like hardware, will work with
updated kernels.

I have an AMD K7 with VIA MoBo, and never had any problem with it. Also,
winmodems, you'll find links (soft56 is supported) in www.linmodems.org .

You might not get it all out of the ATA66 HD yet, but still, it will work,
as well as the CDROM, the power supplier, the RAM, and any other thing.
Maybe you'll need to go to the company who manufactures your Sound Card
chips, and check the exact type.

Let's regard the 2.2.14 kernel, as it is both stable, and not the newest:
Realtek support  {check} (It's one of the most common NICs in the world,
since it's cheap, and it does it's work)
HD                     {check} (IDE - will work. Maybe not ATA66, but it
will)
CPU+VIA chips {check} (works like charm)
Mem                   {check} (Duh!)
CdRom               {chcek} (IDE, right?)
Video card          {check} (S3 are all supported but the old Virge VX, God
bless their soal)
Modem (soft56)  {Not sure} This might be a problem. I think that the only
software modem not supported (from the common models) is the Motorola SM56.
You have nothing to worry about.
Sound                 {Most likely} Sound chipsets don't just appear. If
it's cheap and common, there are drivers for it. Probably, it will work.
USB                   {The toughest part} Might work, but will require lots
of work.

DO NOT USE TEST KERNELS UNYIL YOU KNOW WHAT'S YOU'RE DOING!!!!

And you know what? Installation "out of the box" would have worked perfect.
You might want to recompile the kernel later, to enhance your system
performances, and to decrease the size of the kernel (it will just work
faster).

I'de suggest Mandrake (I preffer it on RH, sorry guys) as most non source
distributions are supported in RPM for RH (the great father of Mandrake).

Just install and see your system rox!

--

Ez
Smoking doesn't kill.

phil ossifer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Help!    I did a dumb thing.  Bought a system intending to run Linux on it
> without checking out these groups first.  I know I 've transgressed
greatly, but

> it is a bit late for recriminations.
>
> I have the system on 15-day appoval, but the approval ends Saturday and I
will
> lose internet access as well as be tied up on a family emergency until the
> Friday,  so  I am kind of frantic.
>
> Sorry to be so needy, but responses like "check this URL" or "call the
company"
> just won't hellp me.   I've paionted myself in a corner and damn well know
it.

> I know from my experience helping C programming newbies out in the DOS
days the
> reaction to folks who ask but don't seem willing to work at an answer.
Sorry,
> but I can't help it now.
>

> The system is an Athlon Slot A Barebones system put together by Vextrec
> Technologies(VTI) and is sold specially through Fry's electronics.  The
> motherboard is either an Epox 7KXA or a DTK computer VAM-0070  (some
confusion
> here - the bios identifier corresponds to an Epox 7KXA, but the
documentation
> with the system is for a DTK VAM-0070 board.   The label on the box calls
it a:

> ATX DTK-VAM-0070 EP-7KXA  VIA  133 AGP CHIPSET.  FSB200 / ULTRA DMA 66 /
> ... / 1 AMR AGP SLOT 4X / AC97 AUDIO / 56 FLEX MODEM  (almost certainly a
> winmodem) / 10-100 NET CARD / FLOPPY DRIVE.
>
> The BIOS is:
>
>      Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
>      04/25/2000-8371-686A-6A6LKPAAA9C-00
>
> This is a _nice_ system.  No crappy low-end misfitsting hardware, cheapie
parts,
> etc (except the winmodem, natch).
>

> I am very inclined to keep it, especially now that I got it up and running
DOS

------------------------------

From: "Bram Kerkhof" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 2.2.16-3/megaRAID problems
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:58:37 GMT

> However, the exact same build procedure with the 2.2.16-3 kernel, as
> supplied in RedHat's source RPM, results in a kernel that dumps registers
> and panics when loading the megaRAID module. Has anyone else gotten
> a similar Dell system to work with this kernel?

There are some issues with certain firmware versions of the Dell Perc 2/SC
adapters. Check to make sure that you have the latest firmware of the
adapter installed. It should be 3.10 or higher. Versions 3.00 and 3.01 are
flawed.

> Here's the build procedure I'm using:
>
> $ cd /usr/src/linux-2.2.16-3
> $ make menuconfig    (config 'aix7xxx' and 'megaRAID' as modules)

If you are booting from the RAID disks, you should compile support in the
kernel, not as a module. You can only load modules when the boot fs is
mounted, and you can only mount a filesystem on a device if you have support
compiled in the kernel :-)

> $ make dep
> $ make clean
> $ make bzImage
> $ make modules
> $ make modules_install
> $ cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-3
> $ mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.16-3.img 2.2.16-3
>
> (then, of course, updating /etc/lilo.conf and running LILO to install the
> image.)
>
> I've installed the latest modutils, insmod, and mkinitrd that I could
find,
> so I think I've got up-to-date tools...
>
> If anyone with more RAID config experience could help me out I'd really
> appreciate it. (If needed, I'll hook up another PC to the serial port and
> try to capture the failed boot messages.)

My pleasure,

Bram

mail me at bram @ e-wareness . be if you need more assistance - the hotmail
address is spambait.

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape to work on Mandrake
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 19:04:22 -0400

Dennis Peacock wrote:

> I have a new Mandrake Linux box up and running.  I can log into it via my
> Win98 box.  My problem is that I have a new Zoom External 56K modem attached
> to the Linux box and I can dial out to my ISP with the modem via kppp but I
> can't seem to get Netscape to go out via the modem so I can get new updates
> and cruze the web on my Linux box.  Any suggestions on how to get Netscape
> to work via my dialup connection?  I am new to this so simple is good.

Two things to check for:

(1) Type the command "route" at a shell prompt. You'll get back
    a list of routes to various networks. If you don't see a line
    that starts with the word "default", then you have a config
    problem with kppp. Part of the process of establishing a
    PPP connection is the setting of the "default route"; this
    basically tells the TCP/IP stack in your computer that it
    should hand off any network traffic it does not explicitly
    know how to deliver to the "default route"; in this case,
    this is all your Web surfing. kppp should set the default
    route when it dials into the ISP and connects. I'm sorry,
    I don't know exactly how to tell you to fix this if it's
    the problem, as I'm not using kppp.

(2) Assuming you have a good default route, try the following
    command from a shell prompt:

        nslookup www.linux.org

    You should get a line back showing the nameserver you're using
    and the IP address of the computer on which www.linux.org lives.
    If this fails, chances are that you're not finding the name
    server provided by your ISP. Later versions of kppp are supposed
    to negotiate this and configure it automagically (at least,
    that's my understanding, someone with more knowhow might chime
    in here and correct me). To play it safe, get the IP address(es)
    of your ISP's DNS server(s) (this information should be in the
    packet you got from them when you signed up; if it's not, call the
    ISP and ask them for it) and put it (them) in your
    /etc/resolv.conf file. See "man resolver" for more info.

Good luck!