Linux-Hardware Digest #255, Volume #13           Tue, 18 Jul 00 01:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Why is my harddisk so slo (Neal Robles)
  Re: Please help me evaluate this hardware's compatability with Linux (franks)
  floppy controlled Conner tape drive (will)
  Re: Redhat cannot detect 40 Gig Hard disk (skeeter)
  Re: Modem Blaster Flash II external won't work (SiVA)
  dsl in mandrake ("phlying penguin")
  Re: web server: internal error ("Jason Byrne")
  Re: dsl in mandrake (Hal Burgiss)
  GFC2206 LAN adapter ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Rack-mount server with built-in RAID, redundant power supply, Linux? (Dan
Harkless)
  Re: dual cpu mobo's (Thomas Kochak)
  Re: mpeg capture from video capture card (blowfish)
  Re: Super Commander Dataswitch problems (Thomas Kochak)
  Re: SCSI Drive installation? (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Tape Drives - how do you backup?  + HELP (hac)
  Re: dual cpu mobo's (warmongr)
  Re: Video Capture Card for Linux? (Andras)
  Question about cdrdao (Andras)
  @Home w/ Mandrake 6.5 and SMC 2202 USB Ethernet Adapter (AJ)
  How to install soundcard? (Siw Sang Yau)
  Re: How to install soundcard? ("Al Morgan")
  Re: dual cpu mobo's ("kc")

From: Neal Robles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why is my harddisk so slo
Date: 17 Jul 2000 21:55:26 GMT

Hello Cliff,

[snipped]
 CP> Hardware: Celeron500, 128 Mb Samsung 15.3Gb UDMA mode4 HDD, SiS5513 IDE
 CP>           controller.
 CP> Kernel  : 2.2.16, patched with ide-2.2.16.20000630
 CP> BIOS    : Detects the harddisk as PIO4 and UDMA4
 CP> hdparm  : 3.9-1, params: -d1 -m16 -c1 -A1 (even tried -X66)
 CP>           (for some reason, after installing 3.9-1 my hdparm
 CP>           manpages were gone)

 CP> Enabled SiS5513 support in the kernel (yes, and even recompiled and
 CP> installed the new kernel :) ).

 CP> hdparm -t /dev/hda gives me on average  8Mb/s (slow!)
 CP> hdparm -T /dev/hda gives me on average 17Mb/s (waaaaaaay to slow!)

 CP> I've tried all I can think off, but it won't go any faster...

 CP> Anyone has any ideas?

Add -a1 and -u1 to your hdparm command line and benchmark again.

Regards,
  Neal

------------------------------

From: franks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Please help me evaluate this hardware's compatability with Linux
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:11:26 -0600

phil ossifer wrote:

> Help!    I did a dumb thing.  Bought a system intending to run Linux on it
> without checking out these groups first.  I know I 've transgressed greatly, but

( deletia...)

> The system is an Athlon Slot A Barebones system put together by Vextrec
> Technologies(VTI) and is sold specially through Fry's electronics.  The
> motherboard is either an Epox 7KXA or a DTK computer VAM-0070  (some confusion
> here - the bios identifier corresponds to an Epox 7KXA, but the documentation
> with the system is for a DTK VAM-0070 board.   The label on the box calls it a:
>
> ATX DTK-VAM-0070 EP-7KXA  VIA  133 AGP CHIPSET.  FSB200 / ULTRA DMA 66 /
> ... / 1 AMR AGP SLOT 4X / AC97 AUDIO / 56 FLEX MODEM  (almost certainly a
> winmodem) / 10-100 NET CARD / FLOPPY DRIVE.
>
> The BIOS is:
>
>      Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
>      04/25/2000-8371-686A-6A6LKPAAA9C-00
>
> This is a _nice_ system.  No crappy low-end misfitsting hardware, cheapie parts,
> etc (except the winmodem, natch).
(more deletia...)
> I know none of you can make the decision for me.  Can any of you offer guidence
> to help me make it?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Phil

Hi,

This will require some work to get Linux running with 2 of
the h/w items in the mix you have there:

1. The ATA66 card is supported in the 2.0 kernel, but not in
   2.2.x (IIRC, it went into 2.3.18 and will be in 2.4.x)

2. The Savage 4 chip requires XFree 3.3.6 which comes
   with newer distros (ie: RH6.2) only.

You can install RH 6.0 + 2.0 kernel bootdisk+patches from Promise
website, then d/l XFree 3.3.6 and patch that
in. I have a client with a new Micron box and he has both
pieces working, although not real smoothly [yet].

Buying bleeding edge hardware is an exercise in hard-work
for the experienced or just frustration for the newbie.

Cheers,

ed
--
  Ed Franks                      |  Contracted to :
  SysAdmin - Solaris/SunOS/Linux |    CIO Office

------------------------------

From: will <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: floppy controlled Conner tape drive
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 01:36:47 GMT

I have a file server that is running red hat 6.0.  I attached a conner
tape drive on the second floppy controller, here is the story thus far.
I have tried using rft qft and zft, none of these will recognize the
tape drive.

What I am doing is symlinking /dev/ftape to rft*, qft* or zft* none of
these will work, device not found on system when I do something like mt
-f /dev/ftape rewind

Is it something that I am missing?  If you need to know the specific
tape drive I can pull out and check the labeling. I just don't want to
if I don't have to. :)

I am using the default kernel, I am compiling a new one right after I
write this, but its my understanding this is default support for RedHat
kernels.  Any help would be great thanks.

Will

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (skeeter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Redhat cannot detect 40 Gig Hard disk
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 01:38:03 GMT

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:56:43 -0500, "Unmil P. Karadkar"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to install Redhat 6.2 (kernel 2.2.14) on a Dell Dimension
>with a 40 Gig IDE Hard disk. The installation cannot proceed beyond the
>partition drives stage, as Redhat simply does not detect the hard disk
>
>Does anyone know how to overcome this problem? I did see a note on the
>Redhat site that I should get kernel 2.3.21 and install it, though i
>don't know exactly how i could do it, unless i already had installed
>Linux on the system
>
>thanks,
>
>-unmil.

 I had a similar problem with a SuSE 6.4 install on my Maxtor 40GB HD.
It wouldn't see any of the disk above 1027 cylinder. That's right
1027, not 1024. What I did was as the linuxrc came up and I got the
boot: prompt, I used the values for the disk that were display by the
BIOS when LBA mode was selected. This configuration showed 4982
cylinders, 255 head, and 63 sectors. Basically it looked like this

boot: linux /dev/hdc=4982,255,63

That seemed to do the trick.

Now if I could only get my modem to work! ;)

GL,

Skeeter

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Modem Blaster Flash II external won't work
From: SiVA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:08:19 -0700

The motherboard is an ms 6182 Intel i810. The comport resources
are set in the bios , I have com1 set to 3F8/irq 4. The comport
is recognized on the kernel bootup, and setserial /dev/ttyS0
reports 3F8 / irq 4. kppp modem query command says 'modem is
busy' though the RD(receive data) light flashed on/off. Minicom
just doesn't do anything, and I tried playin with init strings
with no luck. It's been four days and I still don't have a
working modem. I'm beginning to think it's the motherboard
somehow. Is there any other explanation ?

cat /proc/ioports lists the comport, though it says 'AUTO'
beside it.

Please help.

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: "phlying penguin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: dsl in mandrake
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:32:01 -0400

I need support for the SpeedStream 3060/(4060 or whatever the external is)
any tips?

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: web server: internal error
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:55:36 -0700

Well...

this could be a bunch of stuff... as the 500 internal server error is as
generic as it comes.

hint: look at your web server error log and you might get an idea what is
happening.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: dsl in mandrake
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 02:52:34 GMT

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:32:01 -0400, phlying penguin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I need support for the SpeedStream 3060/(4060 or whatever the external
>is) any tips?

The 3060 is PCI, the 4060 is USB. No Linux drivers for either, which
means doorstop material. The 5260 and 5660 are ethernet and will work
well.

--
Hal B

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: GFC2206 LAN adapter
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 02:48:36 GMT

Does this one work with Linux? Any ideas???

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Dan Harkless <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rack-mount server with built-in RAID, redundant power supply, Linux?
Date: 18 Jul 2000 02:52:25 GMT

J.W. Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[...]
 >> We have a couple of rack-mount NT servers that have built-in hot-swap
 >> RAID arrays, redundant power supplies, and redundant network cards with
 >> automatic  failover.
[...]
 >Dan,
 >
 >Currently both Compaq and IBM have great support for Linux.  But if you
 >are looking for a company that specializes in Linux boxes check out
 >http:://www.valinux.com.

VALinux does not offer any rack-mount systems with built-in hot-swap RAID
arrays (they were one of the first companies I checked).  Do Compaq and/or
IBM?

Dan Harkless           | NOTE: Due to SPAM I have implemented a caller-ID-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   | like policy for this account.  Put "re-send" in
Unitech Research, Inc. | your Subject to bypass or finger me for more info.

------------------------------

From: Thomas Kochak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dual cpu mobo's
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:23:50 GMT

If you want a 133Mhz FSB then you should look for something based on the VIA
Apollo Pro 133A or the Intel i815 chipsets. Anandtech (www.anandtech.com)
just did a review on a bunch of SMP boards with the VIA chipset. Since you
probally don't want to spend more money than you should, I wouldn't
recommend the i820 because of the whole Rambus fiasco. BTW, the FC-PGA can
operate in smp.

Hope I was helpfull!

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mpeg capture from video capture card
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:24:13 -0700

Steve Martin wrote:

> > > Do you know an existing program (with sources) wich capture video from a
> > > video capture card (bt chips) and save it in mpeg or quicktime format.
> > > Without using Xwindows.
>
> > broadcast2000.
>
> Broacast2000 *uses* X. Not what he asked for. Other than that, though,
> it's a really neat program.

Sorry, My fault. :P

Forgot about that because my Linux box runs X and KDE.

Yes, broadcast 2000 is really neat.

Try it with multi SMP clusters.  You'll love it.

-blowfish

------------------------------

From: Thomas Kochak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Super Commander Dataswitch problems
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:26:13 GMT

I think that sounds more like a config problem with X-Windows rather than a
problem with Super Commander.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: SCSI Drive installation?
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Jul 2000 23:41:14 -0400

Guy Maskall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Do I understand that you have *three* scsi controllers on your system? Apart
> from my understanding that you can only have a maximum of two (ready to be
> proven wrong there), but that would give you ample scsi addresses for your
> devices.

I've certainly had 3 scsi controllers in my system (in fact I will once again
when I put the adaptec 2930 back into the main system to go along with 7896
builtin controller that provides 2 logical scsi controllers, but an earlier
system did have 3 physically separate scsi controllers in it).  I don't recall
if I ever had 4 controllers.

> As for the reassigning of device names, I recall the answer is no - it's just
> the way linux does it. I think the best you can do is to write scripts or
> somesuch to work around it (e.g. creating a symlink (such as sd1) and
> dynamically allocate it to the relevant sda or sdb or sdc etc upon boot,
> depending upon the h/w config).

There are a couple of ways to finesse this:

   1)   If the non-builtin scsi controller uses a different driver (ie,
        NCR53C8XX vs. AIC7XXX), then if you build the linux kernel, build the
        builtin scsi adapter drivers directly into the kernel, and build the
        other controller as a module.  That way the kernel will only enable the
        first scsi controller that it has builtin during the initial stage, and
        then when it processes the modules, load the second controller.  You
        want to set /etc/conf.module's scsi_adapter to the main one, and
        scsi_adapter2 to the secondary.

   2)   Try going into the BIOS of the non-builtin scsi controller and
        disabling boot/bios support.  That's what I did for my system with the
        3rd Adaptec controller.

   3)   Check your scsi driver sources/readme files.  There may be a driver
        specific way to override the default.

   4)   Live with it and renumber your disks.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape Drives - how do you backup?  + HELP
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:45:21 GMT

tabascox wrote:

> With a huge buffer size (4 megs), and a block size of 32768 bytes, I was able
> to write:
> 4,018,284,544 bytes
> = 3832.13 Mbytes (1MB =1024^2)
> = 3.7423 GBytes (1GB =1024^3).

4,018,284,544 is more than 4GB.

Mega has always meant 10^6, and it still does.  Giga means 10^9.

Sloppy usage in the computer world equates these to similar powers of
two, but this is technically incorrect.  There is an international
standard for prefixes for powers of two:

1KiB=2^10 bytes, or 1024 bytes.
1MiB=2^20 bytes, or 1048576 bytes
1GiB=2^30 bytes, or 1073741824 bytes

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

Note that "B" may abbreviate bytes, but bits should always be spelled
out.

As always, the SI prefixes remain:

1M=1,000,000
1G=1,000,000,000

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: warmongr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:06:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Thomas Kochak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you want a 133Mhz FSB then you should look for something based on
the VIA
> Apollo Pro 133A or the Intel i815 chipsets. Anandtech
(www.anandtech.com)
> just did a review on a bunch of SMP boards with the VIA chipset. Since
you
> probally don't want to spend more money than you should, I wouldn't
> recommend the i820 because of the whole Rambus fiasco. BTW, the FC-PGA
can
> operate in smp.
>
> Hope I was helpfull!
>
> Ian Mortimer wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > My old P133 is getting a bit tired now and I wan't to build myself a
> > shiny new one based around 2x700Mhz Pentium III's and a SCSI disk.
> >
> > I've been looking at the motherboards suitable (very hard to find
info
> > on dual boards isn't it ?) and it seems that the Asus P2B-D is quite
> > popular choice BUT it's looking a little dated now and I was
wondering
> > if there are any better (ie 133 FSB) boards for the above setup ?
(not
> > too worried about overclocking - stability, features and at least
1xISA
> > slot are my main priorities)
> >
> > Two more little questions:
> >
> > 1) Is onboard SCSI a good thing or is more trouble than it's worth ?
> > 2) Can FCPGA chips operate in SMP or should I stick to Slot 1 and
the BX
> > chipset ?
> >
> > Rgds,
> >
> > Ian.

Well if you decide to go Slot 1 then I would recommend the intel L440GX+
 server board.  It has LVD2 SCSI on board.  The on board scsi is
essential in rack mount servers as there is not alot of room for bulky
add - on cards in a 19" by 2U (1.5 inch) case.  I am using this board in
5 Dual 700 Slot I Pentium threes with 10000 RPM SCSI Barracuda SCA
Drives.  This is a very remarkable board however there are a few draw
backs.  The onboard NIC is an INTEL with known multicast issues and the
onboard video is only 2Mb VRAM.  One more item.  There is no AGP slot,
however there is also the PCI riser card and 3D Blaster combo for
excellent graphics if the need arises.

war...
--
"If there's a new way...  I'll be the first in line", MEGADETH

From: Andras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Video Capture Card for Linux?
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:20:45 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Check out http://penguin.lvcm.com/ click on "Video Capture" in the
> sidebar.  There is a family of chipsets from Brooktree (Bttv this and
> that) that are used in a lot of video tuner cards (including my own
> STB TV card), and well supported under linux.  If you know how to rebuild
> a kernel, when doing a "make config" or better, a "make menuconfig" or
> "make xconfig", there is a section in the build devoted to TV cards.

Depending of course on the kernel version.
2.3.X kernels have better support for video stuff,
but after some hard work I succeeded to get it in my 2.2.14 kernel,
but you should download some extra stuff for it.

------------------------------

From: Andras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Question about cdrdao
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:22:14 +0000

Does anyone know whether Andreas Mueller's cdrdao can handle
.WAV files (with header) correctly or do I have to convert them to raw?

Thx
Andras

------------------------------

From: AJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: @Home w/ Mandrake 6.5 and SMC 2202 USB Ethernet Adapter
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:30:18 GMT

I have been unable to find any information about how to configure my @Home
cable internet to work under Linux Mandrake 6.5 (RedHat 6.0).

My ethernet card is the SMC 2202 USB External Adapter.  Does anyone know
if this is even supported under Linux?

Thanks, AJ

From: Siw Sang Yau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: How to install soundcard?
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:28:42 +0000

Anybody know how to install a soundcard to the Linux? I got a Aztech PCI
288 Q3D II soundcard and using RedHat 6.2.

sylvain

------------------------------

From: "Al Morgan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: How to install soundcard?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:43:44 -0700

> Anybody know how to install a soundcard to the Linux? I got a Aztech PCI
> 288 Q3D II soundcard and using RedHat 6.2.

sndconfig

I think.  It might be soundcfg, or sndcfg, or soundconfig.  Something like
that.

    Al Morgan [ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]

------------------------------

From: "kc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:32:01 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ian Mortimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> My old P133 is getting a bit tired now and I wan't to build myself a shiny new
> one based around 2x700Mhz Pentium III's and a SCSI disk.
>
> I've been looking at the motherboards suitable (very hard to find info on dual
> boards isn't it ?) and it seems that the Asus P2B-D is quite a popular choice
> BUT it's looking a little dated now and I was wondering if there are any
> better
> (ie 133 FSB) boards for the above setup ? (not too worried about overclocking
> -
> stability, features and at least 1xISA slot are my main priorities)
>
> Two more little questions:
>
> 1) Is onboard SCSI a good thing or is more trouble than it's worth ?
> 2) Can FCPGA chips operate in SMP or should I stick to Slot 1 and the BX
> chipset ?
>
> Rgds,
>
> Ian.

First, if you're looking at 700MHz PIII's, AFAIK, they are only available w/ 100MHz
bus,
not 133 (have to go with 667 or 733 for 133 bus).

Second, yes the asus p2b-d may be a little "dated", but even at 133MHz, its a stable
platform, and doesn't have many of the problems that the intel 8xx series boards seem
have (I'm not familar enough with the via chipset to comment on those though. You may
want to read this:  http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1278).

With the BX, you are stuck with only 2x AGP instead of the 4x variety, but there seems
be a fairly common opinion that the benefit of 4x over 2x are negligible in most
situations.
But, its something to consider.

Although the BX boards are not meant to run 133MHz, it can be done.
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=34
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1250
http://www.ctechnet.com/hardware/asus.htm
but if you're against overclocking, I suppose the above would be of no interest.
That's understandable...

As far as onboard SCSI, on the P2B-DS, you basically get a free PCI slot, since both
the
D and DS have 4 of them, and if you add your own to the D, you only have three left
(pretty good with the math, no?), but, you're stuck with what's on the board, which is
one
area where the asus is showing its age.

Concerning the FCPGA issue, slot 1's are in short supply, but you have the option of
using
adapters. There should be no problem running dual FCPGA's, but IIRC, you need adapters
to run FCPGA's on a socket-370 board as well. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

HTH...