From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Multi-function cPCI cards?
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:23:05 GMT

Does anybody know of any Compact PCI (cPCI) cards that have SCSI,
Ethernet and video adapters on one card? Even 2 out of 3 would be
useful. We're trying to save slots here...

Something like the Intraserver 8421C, but with Linux support would be
ideal:

  http://www.intraserver.com/products/8000.html

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks.

--
Graham

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Trantor t-160 scsi and Linux.
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:04:50 -0400

Hello all.
  We were planning on installing Slackware linux on a pc which has
a Trantor t-160 scsi card (please don't laugh too hard), and we were
wondering which boot disk to use. This card is dated 1993, and the
only chip besides the scsi bios and some mini-chips, is one marked
as "Trantor t101 j9318ab (c) NSC 1992 pat. pending".

In the docs, the closest thing mentioned is the t-130b, which uses
an ncr 53c400 chip.

If anyone knows which bootdisk or drivers to use, please contact us
or reply on this newsgroup. Thank you.

------------------------------

From: Andras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Question about cdrdao
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:51:37 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Andras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Does anyone know whether Andreas Mueller's cdrdao can handle
> > .WAV files (with header) correctly or do I have to convert them to
> raw?
> >

> You can use .wav files.
>
> Andreas

Thx.

Probably might be a good idea to include this information
explicitly in the documentation? I couldn't find it there,
that's why I asked.

Andras

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Video capture card for Linux
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:02:06 GMT

Hi,
I'm looking for a TV/video capture card with
drivers for Linux (RedHat) that allows to capture
video from TV source (PAL/SECAM) at low resolution
at 25 fps in real time.
In fact, I want to get each frame from the TV flow
on my disk in a non-compressed format (or barely
compressed) in real time, in order to analyse it.
Is it possible to do it on btt48/78 based cards ?

Thank you for your help.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: TV/video capture for Linux
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:11:04 GMT

Hi,
I'm looking for a TV/video capture card with drivers for Linux (RedHat)
that allows to capture video from TV source (PAL/SECAM) at low
resolution, at 25 fps in real time ?
I want to get each frame from the Tv flow on my disk in a uncompressed
format (or barely compressed) in real time in order to analyse them.
Is it possible to do so with bt48/78 based cards ?

Thank you for help...

From: Mark Belanger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: camcorder and vid capture
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:00:57 GMT

I have an Antec tv/video capture card that
uses the brooktree chipset

Is there any reason that I can't capture
video output from a non-digital camcorder.

The card has 3 inputs cable, video, and Svideo.
Do these inputs correspond to something in /dev?
It looks like I have several devices relating to
this card:
/dev/video
/dev/vttuner
/dev/vtx

Thanks,

-Mark

------------------------------

From: sideband <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XF86Config for ATI Rage Fury Pro
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:13:52 -0400

Chris:

This info was posted on another group, by Dirk Fischer... It worked for my
Rage Fury Pro AGP... hope it works for yours...

First, hit http://www.suse.de/en/support/xsuse/index.html and download the
SVGA server from there... follow the destructions on there, too..

Next, edit /etc/X11/XF86Config, and put this line in the Device section for
your card:

ChipID 0x5246

Set up the rest of your defaults as you see fit. and enjoy!

Yes, it DOES work under RedHat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.16... At least on my
box. ::grin::

Hope this helps.

-SSB

------------------------------

From: sideband <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cannot configure X with ATI Rage 128
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:14:32 -0400

------------------------------

From: George/USA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie needs help with Linux/Hard drive
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:23:57 -0400

Chem-R-Us wrote:

> George/USA wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> >    I have an old PB 300CD that I put a Western Digital 3GB hardrive in.
> > How can I recover the missing 1GB of space? Im installing Debian 2.1
> > as the only operating system on the machine.  I have removed the EZ-bios
> >
> > boot manager so that it will actually boot, but while reinstalling
> > Debian
> > I see that it is still not reporting the correct amount of space on the
> > hard drive.
> > Anybody have any pointers or suggestions??
>
> Are you sure that you're not letting the
>
>  1G = 1000x1000x1000
>       (1,000,000,000)
> versus
>
>  1G = 1024x1024x1024
>       (1,073,741,824)
>
> thing throw you off?
>
> --
>
> Chem-R-Us

Naw, its actually 3.1GB, so usual formatted capacity is somewhere around
2.8GB.
Debian only sees 2.0GB.

George

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A.Agostini)
Subject: Re: tekram Ultra 160 support DC390U3D/W
Date: 19 Jul 2000 10:42:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Schweikert) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Does any one have any experience with the Tekram DC390U3D/W SCSI card?
>
>I am trying to decide whether to go with the Adaptec 29160 or the Tekram
>DC-390U3W card, I am not aware of anyone else making a card supporting
>the U160 standard.
>
>Feedback is appreciated.
>
>Robert

Hi Robert,
have you any information about linux modules for tekram scsi card?

Thanks
A.Agostini
IROE-CNR Firenze

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UPS suggestions?
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:33:29 -0400

James Kufrovich wrote:

>         A friend recommended the PK Electronics Blackout Buster (he run
> Windows), but I don't know if that would work well with Linux? Something
> from APC?  Tripp Lite?  Someone here suggested MGE?  I'd appreciate any
> tips.  Thanks.

I just bought the APC 300VA unit for my Linux box here. My situation is
similar to yours, in that the local power co. tends to dip power
momentarily on occasion. However, one caveat: I bought this one looking
to connect it to the Linux box via RS-232. This model does indeed have
an RS232 serial port. However, they did *not* provide the cable, nor
did they give any docs on the wiring or protocol on their connector.
They'll be glad to *sell* you a custom cable, for roughly half what
the UPS cost.

As a UPS, I'm sure it's fine. However, caveat emptor.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Zidlicky)
Subject: Re: Dual IDE controller card
Date: 19 Jul 2000 11:42:10 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Mathieu =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dub=E9=2DDallaire?=
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hello,

>    I have an old 486 which used to have a single ide controller card
>(with two hard drives connected to it) and a proprietary controller for
>a Matushita/Panasonic/Creative 2x CD-ROM. The cd-rom went the way of
>hadware heaven and I want to put in another unit.

>   I figured I would change the ide controler for a dual ide one (ide0
>and ide1 on the same board). I tested it using another hard drive I had
>lying around (I collect old components :). Booting Linux shows all three
>drives hda, hdb and the added hdc on the ide1 connector) but says "hdc:
>lost interrupt" and eventually hangs.

>   A cat /proc/interrupts shows ide0 in irq 14 and ide1 on irq 15.

what was the irq count for irq 15? If it was 0 then your hardware is
badly configured, otherwise try switching the drives.

Bye
Richard

------------------------------

Subject: Re: MAXTOR 27G IDE, how to partition?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:56:12 GMT

"Karl E. Jorgensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Jim White wrote:

> > I want use half of this MAXTOR 27G IDE for window, half for linux.
> > Is it possible?  the "MAX BLAST PLUS" from MAXTOR only work for window.

There is absolutely no reason to ever use the "MAX BLAST PLUS"
software.

> At that size harddisk you're bound to run against the 1024 cylinder (or
> is it 1023 cylinder) limit. That is: Whatever you're booting from has to
> be within the first 1024 cylinders. Nothing to do with Linux - it's
> BIOS, it's legacy, it's ancient, but true.

Although apparently some boot loaders can get by this.  LBA mode
helps, too, although possibly not enough.

> There _is_ a way around it though; if you create a small partition
> ('bout 1 meg should do it) close to the beginning of the disk (i.e.
> below cylinder 1024), and put the kernel there, you should be able to
> get started. Typically, you would mount that partition as /boot, and
> tell the kernel to use some other partition (/dev/hda??) as the root
> file system. Once the kernel is up and running, you shouldn't suffer
> from the 1024 cylinder limit.

Also, if you can guarantee that one partition will fit entirely in the
0-1023 span, make that one for Windows and put the Linux kernel on
it.  LILO doesn't care where your kernel is, so long as it can get its
physical location.

--
Eric P. McCoy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

"Dude... my hands are huge.  They can touch anything but themselves...
 oh, wait."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:04:52 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Kufrovich) writes:

>       Hi.  I'm thinking of getting a UPS for my Linux box, since we've
> been getting short (a few seconds) power outages around here recently, and
> I'm just wondering what all to look for.  Linux compatibility would
> certainly be a plus.  A serial port connection is a necessity for
> automated shutdowns, if necessary (gotta get COM3 or 4 working, as 1 and 2
> are taken already.)  I'd only have my PC and monitor plugged into it,
> nothing else.  What load should I look for? 500VA like someone suggested
> earlier?  And I'd only really need a few minutes of juice, as, like I said
> before, the power outages don't last long at all - I'd only need enough
> time to do a safe shutdown myself, or for an automated shutdown.

I have a 500VA APC UPS.  I like it, but it's woefully inadequate.  I
was getting <3 seconds on battery, so I called APC and complained.
They told me that I need a 1200VA, which will get me twenty minutes.
Taking into consideration that they were probably trying to sell me as
much as they could, I think that still may be right (he also suggested
two more expensive models).

At the time, I had four hard drives, 1 SCSI and 1 large IDE; 1 SCSI
DVD-RAM and 1 IDE CD-ROM; a dual-CPU setup; and a 17" monitor.  That
was what prompted the 1200VA recommendation.

>       A friend recommended the PK Electronics Blackout Buster (he run
> Windows), but I don't know if that would work well with Linux? Something
> from APC?  Tripp Lite?  Someone here suggested MGE?  I'd appreciate any
> tips.  Thanks.

APC has a relatively nice thing called the "trade-UPS" program, where
you get about 30% of the cost of your current UPS deducted from your
next APC UPS (there are certain limitations on what models you can
choose).

I've heard some good things about Tripp Lite, but I'm sorry, I
wouldn't feel safe buying from a company with that name.  "American
Power Conversion" sounds so much better.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: FREE Thru 7/21 - Huge LINUXWORLD EXPO Aug. 14-17 In San Jose, Calif.
Date: 19 Jul 2000 12:20:56 GMT

LinuxWorld Conference & Expo
Expo: August 15 - 17, 2000
Conference: August 14 - 17, 2000
San Jose Convention Center, San Jose California (Silicon Valley)
http://www.linuxworldexpo.com

Register by July 21 -- only two more days! -- for free
Exhibits badge for admission to all exhibits, keynote and
feature presentations, birds of a feather sessions and
various other events (except conferences and tutorials),
August 15-17.  (After July 21, this registration is $25.)

Register on the web with Netscape, IE, or fax, or by phone
if you don't have those facilities:

http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/show_reginfo.html

This show was very big last year, and this time they have
165 exhibitors, with 40 more on hold because the entire
San Jose Convention Center will already be filled!

Partial list of speakers, panelists, etc, at free events:

  Linus Torvalds
  Jeremy Allison, Samba
  Eric S. Raymond, Internet Developer and Writer
  Miguel de Icaza, GNOME;
  Volker Wiegand, CEO, SuSE, Inc.
  Ransom Love, President and CEO, Caldera Systems
  Bob Young, Chairman, Red Hat
  Cliff Miller, CEO, TurboLinux
  Bodo Bauer, TurboLinux
  Larry Augustin, Founder, President, CEO, VA Linux Systems
  Scott Draeker, Loki Entertainment
  Jon "maddog" Hall, Executive Director, Linux International
  Robert LeBlanc, Vice President, IBM Software Strategy
  Bruce Perens
  Jay Sulzberger;
  Patricia Lambs, CEO, Linuxcare
  Nick Petreley, Contributing Editor for LinuxWorld and InfoWorld

Conferences and tutorials run August 14-17, and cost from
$145 to $795 for various plans; see the website.

------------------------------

From: Frank Patrum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Please help me evaluate this hardware's compatability with Linux
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:24:54 -0400

sorry about the multiple posting...my proxy server had a blip

------------------------------

From: Leonardo Giordani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Logitech Cordless Desktop
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:30:06 +0000

I installed on my PC the SuSE Linux 6.3 release and I will buy a
Logitech Cordless Desktop. Does it work under Linux?
Is it a good device (I do not like devices too Win-oriented)?

From: "Rob Sykes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SupraExpress 56i PRO (PCI)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:43:51 +0100

"Pablo GR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I've got a Diamond SupraExpress 56i PRO PCI modem in my computer. What
> do I have to do to configure this modem? Is there any generic driver for
> Rockwell Chipsets?

Hi Pablo,

I've got one of those beasties as well... It's a winmodem, which is a bad
bad thing. :-(
Basically, there are no Linux drivers for it at present 'cos 1) you don't
drive it in the same way as you would with an external modem and 2) as I
believe, the manufacturers are coy with the specification of how it works!

Some details can be found at
http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/cep_winmodem.html
and
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

I wish I was up on these things 'cos then I could attempt to write my own
driver and become rich and famous, but ....

--
Rob Sykes

Remove NOSPAM to e-mail

------------------------------

From: Mathieu =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dub=E9=2DDallaire?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:00:13 -0500

Hello,

>>   I figured I would change the ide controler for a dual ide one (ide0
>>and ide1 on the same board). I tested it using another hard drive I had
>>lying around (I collect old components :). Booting Linux shows all three
>>drives hda, hdb and the added hdc on the ide1 connector) but says "hdc:
>>lost interrupt" and eventually hangs.
>>
>>   A cat /proc/interrupts shows ide0 in irq 14 and ide1 on irq 15.

> what was the irq count for irq 15? If it was 0 then your hardware is
> badly configured, otherwise try switching the drives.

I figured as much. Could the BIOS being able to detect only two devices
be the problem? I would think linux would be able to not use the BIOS
for hard drive interaction. What should I look for in terms of hardware
configuration?

Mathieu