From: "Eric Lengvenis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Compiling NIC drivers
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:28:45 -0500

Greetings,
I recently bought a new system, one of those barebones jobs. It came with a
10/100 NIC integrated into the motherboard. Davicom dm9102. The motherboard
actually came with linux sound and nic drivers. But, I can't seem to compile
the NIC driver.

In the driver itself, it lists a whole lot of includes such as
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/kernel.h>
#include <linux/sched.h>
.
.
When I try to compile it, it says it can't find the include files. I am
compiling from the directory in which the driver is. I know the files it is
looking for are in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/* but I don't know how to
convey that to the driver.

Can anyone help me? This is my first module compile. I have compiled little
things before. I really want to get this going because this is the first
time I have ever had two computers. A friend gave me a hub and I just gotta
get it going.

Thanks in advance

Eric not so newbie, but still a little green.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hain)
Subject: Jetport II
Date: 24 Jul 2000 23:31:47 -0000

I have a Gtek Jetport II card that I used in my last system and would
like to move it to my new system.  It is a really sweet card but Gtek
drivers are hoplessly out of date.  They only support the 2.0 kernels.

Checking on www.linhardware.com there is a mention that Dardo Kleiner
has updated the PCI calls for the 2.2 kernel and says that it works.  I
have mailed the poster but have not yet received a reply.

Does anyone know if a newer driver is available anywhere on the net?
It is a great card and I really need the extra serial ports.

Thanks in advance,

--
bob hain
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

bob hain
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(612) 626-9800
bob hain
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(612) 626-9800

------------------------------

From: "Nick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IF you own a kingmax with no linux support READ
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:35:50 GMT

Yeah, I bought a Kingmax PCMCIA card for Win98 and it worked great.  Then I
installed slackware on the laptop but couldn't get the card to work on the
network.  Much tinkering later I was playing with the tulip.c driver and
with much fiddling eventually got it to work.  Now it works great and I
nuked win98 so I could put some useful s/w on it...e.g. StarOffice 5.2 - a
truly great productivity package and makes Linux "complete" in my eyes.

The final thing was getting the laptop to use freebie dialup isps under
Linux.  There are now a few out there and the laptop Linux is kewl :-)

Nick

------------------------------

From: Simon Tetu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP CD-RW hangs my machine when mounting it!!!!
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:56:22 GMT

Hi, I just bought a HP Cdwriter+ 8200 series (8250i)
and I enabled the scsi modules in my kernel so it is recognized properly

but if I try to mount it, it seeks the disk for a second or two and
hangs my machine.. everytime!
(I have to power it down to reboot)

Though I can listen to Audio CD without problems...

Anybody got an idea??

Here's my config:

#dmesg

Detected 233032 kHz processor.
ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL CR8.4A, ATA DISK drive
hdb: WDC AC31200F, ATA DISK drive
hdd: Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 8200a, ATAPI CDROM drive
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 8200a  Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 8200a  Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 8200a  Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr2 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 2
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 8200a  Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr3 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 3
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 8200a  Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr4 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 4
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 8200a  Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr5 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 5
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 8200a  Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr6 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 6
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 8200a  Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr7 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 7
scsi : detected 8 SCSI generics 8 SCSI cdroms total.
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.09
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr2: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr3: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr4: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr5: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr6: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr7: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
scsi : 1 host.
sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
cdrom: open failed.
(this is normal, I haven't inserted a cd yet)

# more /etc/conf.modules
alias scd0 sr_mod
alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
options ide-cd ignore=hdd

# more /etc/fstab
/dev/scd0               /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Adding an Adaptec SCSI Card to Redhat 6.1
Date: 24 Jul 2000 23:59:17 GMT

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 22:01:33 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I am trying to get some old Sun Spac 20 equipment to mount on a Redhat
>6.1 Installation I have.  The two devices that I would like to work are
>a 9 GIG SCSI hard drive and a 8mm 5 gig external tape drive.
>
>I installed an Adaptec 2930 scsi card and rebooted the machine.  Linux
>detected the card at boot and now I can go to the control panel, kernel
>configuration, and Linux show that there is an "scsi_host aic7xxx"
>installed.
>
>The problem that I am having is that I checked under dev and I cannot
>seem to see a device for the tape drive no "rmt" or "0" listings.  In
>addition I tried to mount any of the partitons on that old SCSI drive
>and I cannot get anything to mount.

For the hard drive, at least, you will have to fiddle with it a bit if
it was partitioned on a Sun and you're working on an x86 machine.
You'll most likely have to recompile the kernel (...standard Linux
mantra...) and activate "Sun disklabel support" and "UFS filesystem
support".  Then the partitions on that drive should be accessible via
/dev/sda[1..16].

SCSI tape devices under Linux are at /dev/stN (rewinding) and
/dev/nstN (non-rewinding) where N runs from 0..16.  (Every Unix treats
device filenames in a totally different way, which can be a royal pain.)
HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin/   That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com    /    makes us stranger.
============================/            ==Trevor Goodchild

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Compiling NIC drivers
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:26:21 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help Eric Lengvenis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Greetings,
> I recently bought a new system, one of those barebones jobs. It came with a
> 10/100 NIC integrated into the motherboard. Davicom dm9102. The motherboard
> actually came with linux sound and nic drivers. But, I can't seem to compile
> the NIC driver.

> In the driver itself, it lists a whole lot of includes such as
> #include <linux/module.h>
> #include <linux/kernel.h>
> #include <linux/sched.h>
> .
> .
> When I try to compile it, it says it can't find the include files. I am
> compiling from the directory in which the driver is. I know the files it is
> looking for are in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/* but I don't know how to
> convey that to the driver.

There are two ways that you can get around this. . .
1) you can copy the includes to the source directory of the driver.
2) you can edit the Makefile and add '-I /usr/src/linux/include/linux/'
   at the end of the line that has similar entries (usually "-I.
   -I..") in it.  I recomend that you save the original Makefile as
   Makefile.old, or some such in case you make a mistake here.  This will
   point the compiler to that directory to look for include files.

The second option is the recomended method. . .

--
Sanjay
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:20:59 -0500

Eric Lengvenis wrote:

> Greetings,
> I recently bought a new system, one of those barebones jobs. It came with a
> 10/100 NIC integrated into the motherboard. Davicom dm9102. The motherboard
> actually came with linux sound and nic drivers. But, I can't seem to compile
> the NIC driver.
>
> In the driver itself, it lists a whole lot of includes such as
> #include <linux/module.h>
> #include <linux/kernel.h>
> #include <linux/sched.h>
> .
> .
> When I try to compile it, it says it can't find the include files. I am
> compiling from the directory in which the driver is. I know the files it is
> looking for are in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/* but I don't know how to
> convey that to the driver.
>
> Can anyone help me? This is my first module compile. I have compiled little
> things before. I really want to get this going because this is the first
> time I have ever had two computers. A friend gave me a hub and I just gotta
> get it going.

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[ -f
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`

The section that says "-I/usr/src/linux/net/inet" should be the path to
the file to be compiled.

The "-f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h" section is where you would
where you set the path to the include files.

The above command is for a tulip module.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: UPS with serial port
Date: 24 Jul 2000 20:43:01 -0400

David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) writes:
>> David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>>
>>> I'm looking for recomendations for UPSs that Linux can work with to
>>> do a proper shutdown.  Does Tripplite support Linux?  I've been told
>>> to avoid APC because it only puts out 90v on battery.  I don't want
>>> to waste my power supply.
>>
>> Please post a source for this crazy notion that APC's UPSs cut your
>> voltage by 25% when on battery.
>
> A friend of mine used APCs and noticed problems when they switched
> over.  He measured the voltage output at only 90v.

Then he's got a broken UPS.  Or his batteries need replacing.  I can
assure you that mine (a BackUPS Pro 1400 and a cheap BackUPS 300) don't
do this.

>> I use APC UPSs at home.  During full power outages, I can assure you
>> that I'm not getting reduced voltages when on battery.  If I was, the
>> monitor's picture would get smaller and go out of focus.
>
> That was the problem he experienced.  Perhaps you have a better line
> of APCs than my friend had.  It could very easily be that he had the
> bottem end models or something.

I think I can be reasonable certain of being correct when I say that no
brand or model of UPS (designed for the US, that is) is designed to only
provide 90v while on batteries!

What does it report when you do a self test?

I can think of three possibilities for the problem you've observed.

1: The unit may be defective.  If it's new, perhaps you can get a
   warrantee replacement.

2: The unit may have bad batteries.  Try replacing them.

3: He may have accidentally purchased a Japanese UPS.  Japan's
   electricity runs at 100v.  No reputable dealer should have sold him a
   Japanese UPS, but there are plenty of disreputable dealers out there.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Onifer)
Subject: Re: APM & SMP ;^(
Date: 25 Jul 2000 00:52:39 GMT

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:58:40 +0200, Nicola Pedrozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Hy linuxers,
>I just found out that I cannot "automatically" power off my dual system.
>This seems (to me) related to the following kernel message at boot time:
{snip}
> y -> Advanced Power Management BIOS support
> n -> to all the other feature except
> y -> Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off

You can probably say no to that last one.

The real problem--and this, for some inexplicable reason, is only documented
in the source code--is that linux >= 2.2.15 turns off the poweroff support
in smp systems by default.  You need to put "apm=power-off" on the lilo
command line or 'append="apm=power-off"' in /etc/lilo.conf.

                                jay

--
"The movie really heightens the lack of interest in the film"
                                    --Crow T. Robot

------------------------------

From: "Ken Crofts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Change boot parameters LILO
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:54:31 +1000

"Stanislaw Flatto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ken Crofts wrote:
>
> > I tried changing LILO to that described below, and even made Winders
default
> > but it wouldn't boot into Windows.  When I booted off a Window 95s
floppy
> > into DOS and ran Fdisk, it shows the first partition as a non-dos
partition
> > (ie my original Win 95 installation)  Is there any hope of restoring
this by
> > changing location of LILO or is my Win95 installation history?
> >
> > Ken
>
> Hi tourist in Linux-land.
> After rewriting lilo.conf and saving it run as root
> /sbin/lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf      #capital C
> meaning "Please Lilo install yourself in MBR with the new parameters as
writen
> in directory /etc file lilo.conf."
> It should do it - does always for me.
> Have fun.
> Stanislaw.

THANKYOU!
I ran the above commands and my beloved Windows 95 is now back again.  It
looks as though I'll need to do a lot more reading on LILO and Linux in
general to understand the system.  On first appearance it certainly isn't
user friendly, but I'm going to persevere some more and hopefully understand
why so many people believe Linux is a Good OS.

Cheers,
Ken

CAUTION - Any views expressed in this message are those of
the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the
views of Department of Public Works and Services

From: James Knowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any news on "web pad" availability?
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:59:10 -0600

I have an app that demands something hand-held and preferably wireless.
Transmeta's waved a couple of web pads in front of everybody's noses.
Any news on the status of these, or are they pure vapourware?

The web pad concept would fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks!

--
Risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk
nothing.

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to Install a SCSI Card
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:14:18 -0700

> I have an adaptec 1542 with a scanner hanging off it.  During Boot the
> SCSI bios lists the scanner but I can't seem to find out how to get the
> card recognised under RH 6.2.  I've tried loading the aha152x from the
> linux boot prompt but linuxconf still shows no devices.  Is there a
> seperate module that I should be loading ?
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

You may need to edit /etc/conf.modules. If it doesn't already exist, try
adding:

aha152x=io_base,IRQ,scsi_id,reconnect,parity

Note: The 1542 is NOT fully compatible, according to RH.

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Entry-level server
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:22:57 -0700

Mike Frisch wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 12:17:38 -0700, newly minted linux mofo
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Yes, of course, BP6, sorry.  What do you mean by quirky?  Is it just the
> >problem with soft reboots?
>
> The BP6 is unsuitable for use in a server, IMHO.  Many people report
> success with them (in fact, some people rave about it which really baffles
> me), but my personal experience with this board was enough to toss it.
> Look at an ASUS P2B-DS or something along those lines for a high quality,
> highly reliable dual board.
>
> >You're probably right; I'm assuming PC133 will work properly in a board
> >expecting PC66 or PC100?
>
> Definitely.
>
> >BTW, I thought RAID-0 was striped, RAID-1 was mirrored, and RAID-5 was
> >something of a combination of the two (striped / mirrored, with parity)?
>
> That's correct.
>
> Mike.

I agree with your choice 100%.

I've two Asus P2B-DS SMP boxes.  Solid as a rock.

Tried the ABit BP6-dual Celerons. Sold it after two days. It's a dog
combo.
Over hyped by gamers.

-Alex / blowfish.

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:23:29 +0000

Ken Crofts wrote:

> "Stanislaw Flatto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ken Crofts wrote:

> Linux is a Good OS.
>
> Cheers,
> Ken

It is. But in case of lilo, the prompt appears BEFORE any OS is called so the
lilo.conf cannot be read by the active booter. You have to order it to read and
memorise the script. Many times this little item is not explained.
Have fun...
Stanislaw.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 02:59:09 GMT

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:00:01 GMT, David Steuber wrote:
>I'm looking for recomendations for UPSs that Linux can work with to do
>a proper shutdown.  Does Tripplite support Linux?  I've been told to
>avoid APC because it only puts out 90v on battery.  I don't want to
>waste my power supply.

I've never heard of this. Two UPSs at the school whos network I administered
ran APC SmartUPS 700's. Connected between the two were as follows;

 o (1) NetFinity 5500 R20 dual PIII-500MHz, quad 18GiB Ultra-160 SCSI drives,
   1GB RAM
 o (1) Fibre backbone
 o (3) 24x10MBPS, 2x100MBPS Fibre/Copper switches
 o (2) Pentium-class servers with multiple HDDs each
 o (3) 16-port LanCity hubs
 o (1) LanPlex 10/100 switch
 o (1) 3Com 10/100 switch

None of these devices suffered any power loss or damage during the many
power failures plaguing that area of the city. (Overhead powerlines are
considered the primary cause).

UPS monitoring software showed the UPS to maintain a voltage output of
between 118-122V at all times - while on AC feed or on battery. Logging
also showed that the UPS regulated voltage during blackouts, brownouts
(as low as 40V in one instance), surges and spikes (up to and including
300V).

APC has proven to be an Industry-strength, tried-and-true backup power
provider for many years; whether it be with their low(er) end home UPS
products or their industrial-grade large UPS solutions.

I suggest you peruse the "UPS Locator" on APC's website (http://www.apc.com)
to find the UPS that most suits your needs.

I also further the suggestion that your friend have his UPS looked at for
possible warranty work and/or battery replacement if it's dropping voltage
as you've described.

>Is there a UPS Linux compatibility list somewhere?

PowerChute software from APC works under Linux. From my observations, it
can function on an equal par with the Win'** version; including all
shutdowns, scheduled tasks, and self-tests.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)