From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laserjet 1100 and delay between pages
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:12:43 GMT

Sounds correct.  I got the 4MB upgrade from HP web site before I ever
commissioned it.

--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: A good IDE
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:26:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (cLIeNUX user) writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (cLIeNUX user) writes:
> >
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> >> I use sh scripts instead of make. The script is typically called "build",
> >> and there may be others for what would usually be make targets like
> >> "clean".
> >
> >you can adjust the compile-command.
> >
> >in your .emacs, put
> >
> >;; compile command
> >(setq compile-command "build")
> >

> Thanks, but I'll just type    build     in the shell.

since it's your preference, go right ahead.  that's not the problem.
if you are not an emacs fan, don't use it.  you did, however, assert
that emacs has trouble.  this doesn't seem to be the case.  someone
else who likes emacs may learn from this thread.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FSF-Kusa)
Subject: Re: HP laserjet 2100
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:31:48 GMT

On 26 Jul 2000 22:40:31 -0600, Brad Benner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Also, if it's a 2100 with the PostScript option, well, that solves the
>problem right there.  Just set it up as a normal PostScript printer.
>
>--
>Brad Benner
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks a Lot to both peoples who took time to answer my query...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Processor upgrade
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:39:46 GMT

Thanks Kenneth

The board is an Abit TX5, and has 'soft CPU' settings. The manual says
the max eternal clock is 83Mhz, and the max multiplier is 3.5.

So, that multipies out as 290Mhz. Somewhat lower than I hoped, but
better tahn a DX4/100 I guess! If I put in a 500MHz K6-2 it will
presumambly run underclocked?

Any idea what memory I'd need to put in?

Thanks again
IanC

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Hans-Georg Friedmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie alert - CD-ROM problem
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:59:10 +0200

Dear Tom,

it seems that your Mozart Soundcard is an old software-configurable
ISA-card (prior to Plug&Pray, IMHO). So try to load your sound drivers
under DOS to initialize the card, then start Linux via loadlin (I think
the SuSE distribution does that by default when you use the setup.exe
program on the first CD under DOS). Lateron, you will have to start
linux in the same way (see docs of loadlin for more information how to
do that)

CU
hgf

------------------------------

From: DeAnn Iwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Building a Linux Server from scratch:  Experiences?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 07:58:57 -0400

David Steuber wrote:

> When the FedEx guy gets here with my CPU, I will finally have all the
> hardware for a complete computer.  This is my first go at building my
> own computer from scratch.  It's mission:  to serve HTTP connections
> with Apache and run a smallish database with PostgreSQL.  The web
> pages will contain dynamic content using mod_perl and PostgreSQL.  For
> remote configuration and programming, I will be using SSH.
>
> But this post is about the hardware side of things.

........{lots of stuff deleted"

    Having built two whiz-bang machines and constantly retweaked/rebuilt
a few other old machines in my basement, I thought I'd reply.  I'd say
for most people, building their own machine is a good plan only if they
expect to enjoy building it, want to understand their machine better, or
need a machine that is rather far in spec from what they can buy.  You
do not so much save expended dollars building a machine as you get quite
a bit better hardware for the dollars you do spend.  For a gamer, this
might be hot video cards; for a server, it might be a huge disk drive
and lots of RAM.

     It is typical for parts to dribble in.  To not get your CPU until
your sound card is passed its 30 day "easy return" limit, and so forth.
If you are expecting that, it is not a problem.  If you expect
everything to arrive day after tomorrow (or worse, need everything to
arrive day after tomorrow), you are likely in for a very frustrating
time.

     Abit boards and Celerons go very well together, BTW.  Are you
planning to try overclocking?  :-)

     What you gain, apart from the better hardware where you need
better, is a better understanding of how the physical parts of your
machine go together.  You are more likely to know where your timing
bottlenecks will be, how to expand your system (from knowing you have 4
IDE slots to knowing you'll have an IRQ conflict if you buy that CDRW),
how to keep it up and running, how to do it better next time (whether
you build again or buy pre-built).

     This is worth the hassle for some people.  It is not for others.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:03:10 +0200
From: Floris Martens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: plexwriter 8/4/32A

Hi,

Will the plexwriter 8/4/32A (ide) work with linux?

Thanks in advance,

Floris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:12:18 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <8lp723$b5u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>So, that multipies out as 290Mhz. Somewhat lower than I hoped, but
>better tahn a DX4/100 I guess! If I put in a 500MHz K6-2 it will
>presumambly run underclocked?

It would definitely run underclocked. I'd get a K6-2 250 and run it at
3*85(a bit overclocked), or better a K6-300 and run it at 3.5*85 (just a
tad underclocked).

>Any idea what memory I'd need to put in?

Depends on the mobo, does it have SIMMs or DIMMs? If you're lucky and have
DIMMs, many pc66 SDRAM DIMMs will run at 83MHz. Mine runs at 100 *grin*.

If there are only SIMMs, I'd consider getting a second-hand socket-7 board
that supports DIMMs and CPUs up to 550MHz, and get a K6-2 500/550.
--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22718452
Steenstrupsgate 5 B     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: James Moger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: switch box for monitor/keybd/mouse 4 multi-systems
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:21:25 -0400

What kind of monitors are you buying??  I use a Belkin OmniCube 4-port
at work everyday to switch between my Linux machine and my Windows
machine.  It works like a champ and cost about $120 - the cost of a
15"monitor - except I got a 17" monitor.  I had another simpler
(non-powered) switchbox before and it sucked.  It suffered from severe
signal degradation and shadowing which worsened as the resolution
increased (naturally).

--
       James Moger
===---------------------===

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: plexwriter 8/4/32A
Date: 27 Jul 2000 12:26:50 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:03:10 +0200, Floris Martens wrote:
>Will the plexwriter 8/4/32A (ide) work with linux?
>Thanks in advance,

You didn't mention the brand name of this CD-RW drive.  However, most
newer CD-RWs are MMC-3 compliant, so they will work.  There have been
problems with some Sony drives and the Iomega ZipCD, since those aren't
quite MMC-3 compliant, but most other things work.  Check out the
CD-Writing HOWTO at http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html and
the cdrecord homepage (do a Google search on cdrecord...) for more
information.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /   Tyranny is always better organized
http://www.brainbench.com     /    than freedom.
=============================/              ==Charles Peguy

------------------------------

From: Albert Ulmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc
Subject: Re: If Linux, which?  If not Linux, what?  NOT flame-bait!
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:34:13 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> So, question 1: which of the modern releases is likely to install easily on
> a laptop with about 0.5GB of disk space, 24MB of RAM, and a parallel port
> CD-ROM drive?

Apart from the parallel-port CD-ROM drive any Linux distribution should
do. I think Debian has a set of boot-disks which contain practically all
kernel modules, including the ones for parallel-port CD-ROM drives.

> Secondly, about free "Unix"es in general...  I'm a very busy systems and
> networks consultant.  I want it to work; I frankly don't have the time for
> a voyage of discovery (and no, I don't indend to pose as a Unix "expert").
> Maybe some day when I retire...

If you want it crystal clear, you definitely want to try out Debian. I
know of no other Linux distribution with such a logical structure.

> I mostly do non-Unix systems administration.  I have no problem
> getting down and dirty, but I've got no time to play hide-and-seek with the
> docs.  If it's not in the man pages, it's not in the right place, dammit.

Indeed, IMHO Debian has all the necessary information organized in the
man pages. If that is not enough, you can be sure to find a wealth of
additional info in /usr/share/doc.

> I hear Slackware is a favorite of relatively knowledgeable Linux users.  Is
> it really any better documentation-wise?

I don't think so.

> Anyway -- comments?  Please?

Grab the latest set of boot-disks from your nearest Debian GNU/Linux
mirror and start from there. I'm quite confident that you'll like your
Debian experience. If not, IMHO you can also try Mandrake Linux, which
is said to be quite good as well. IMNSHO, avoid Corel Linux at all cost,
it's nothing more than Debian with broken KDE-libraries and a fancy
installer that wipes your hard disk when you tell it not to...

best wishes,
Albert.

------------------------------

From: Jesus Climent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem: bttv 0.7.37 driver w/ Avermedia TVCapture98
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:42:45 GMT

While trying to set up my TVCapture98 to use the remote control, I was
told from Lirc programer to use i2c-2.5.2 + bttv-0.7.x drivers. I did
it: download the drivers, read the whole docs and try to compile.

The problem is bttv. My TV card works with 0.7.20 bttv driver (not
perfect, some problems with the framebuffer in console mode when running
xawtv) but dows not with the 0.7.37 driver. My whole screen is full of
shit (I still have control over my linux box...)

Any ideas?

Jesus Climent
Nokia Networks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darko)
Subject: Athlon Thunderbird cpuinfo
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:44:35 GMT

Hi all,

could someone please post contents of cat /proc/cpuinfo for Athlon
Thunderbird ?

Thanks,
    Darko

------------------------------

From: Romek Pitera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:53:06 +0100

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, James Stutts wrote:

> Wouter Coene wrote in message ...
> >According to [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> >> I hear Slackware is a favorite of relatively knowledgeable Linux users.
> Is
> >> it really any better documentation-wise?
> >
> >Not really. As for the Linux'es, Debian has the best documentation. But it
> >doesn't even get _near_ the quality of the OpenBSD documentation.
> >
> >The major advantage of Slackware (and the reason I use it) is because it's
> >much more UNIX-like than Debian/Redhat/Suse etc etc..
>
> Slack also doesn't keep their code base right at the bleeding edge.  Fewer
> trinkets=fewer problems.
> I've got the latest Slack running on my old 486 laptop.  Runs well.

Stability is one of the reasons behind my choice of slackware. I also
tried to keep away from distros leaning towards 'point and click'
approach. You might wish to have a look at 'how small can slackware get?'
thread in alt.os.linux.slackware.

In terms of documentation I think that some of it it is very much the
same as for any linux distro ie man pages, HOWTOs and README files. Any
general linux book has stuff relevant to slackware (and other distros
too). Some books dealing with UNIX also include linux related stuff and
linux examples which are often slackware specific. On top of that there're
internet resources. Overall, IMHO the resources are ample for slackware.

Someone mentioned Solaris. I found installation of Solaris 7 and 8 on x86
desktops (no experience with laptops) easier and faster than M$ Win95
(TM), with no hassle X-Windows configuration. alt.solaris.x86 would be
a place to make inquiries regarding your particular hardware. You can get
a list of compatible hardware and minimum requirements from www.sun.com.
There are other web pages about laptops with solaris, but I can't find the
details at the moment. Although an awful lot of documentation is provided
in electronic version, you might find less advice on internet when stuck
with some problem. I might be wrong, but I feel that linux would be a
better choice in this case.

R Pitera
Direct your response to: r dot pitera at qmw dot ac dot uk
Direct spam or unsolicited commercial e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Token Ring Network card  on Linux
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:20:31 -0500

See if www.linuxtr.net has any info.

Hope this helps.
Stephen.

--
Stephen Hui, Austin, Texas

Computer Terms: Programmer - A red-eyed, mumbling mammal
capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pixel Fairy)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc
Date: 27 Jul 2000 09:36:31 EDT

i also do networking and have done this sort of thing many times. unix dist
of choice would be openbsd netbsd and slackware.

openbsd is quickest to install and get in a usefull state. but youll need
minicom for the serial port consoles of routers and some servers. if you
dont have X youll have plenty of room to store the openbsd dist on the
laptop so you can install from it (i carry a cross cable with me) and
of course the two pcmcia cards for when you need a router/firewall/whatever.
(or when you go to someones how and stick your box on thier net connection,
and NAT for them until you leave) oh yea, about minicom and whatever else
you install, make the package on another machine with the ports tree and
install that. the ports tree takes up too much space. (but ports.tar.gz
does not, so you can keep that on the laptops public ftp server) another
nice thing to have on it is a mirror of the openbsd web site, which
takes up very little space, 12 megs before you strip out things like the
pdf files and such. with a 500 meg drive with 30megs of swap, i still had
enough space for whatever random files i was playing with or needed for
work. thankfully bash2 is one of the precompiled packages.

i just realized you have a portable cd burner, that means you can have
x and just mount the cd in your ftp directory.

netbsd takes up less space than openbsd, but its more work to setup for
what comes with openbsd (all the firewalling stuff etc)

slackware is liked by older unixheads because its more minimal and
there are less layers to whats really going on than in a dist like
red hat. the rc files are very simple and thus, easy to customize.
its also good for laptops because it takes up less space than the other
linux dists (that i have played with, which is most). one warning,
the last few years of slackware always had some little thing to fix,
recently its the liloconfig, so you may want to do that part by hand
if you play with it. but on a one OS machine it shouldnt matter.

if you havent guessed, i prefer openbsd on notebooks, espcially really
small ones that im going to use for networking type stuff. its the
most hassle free OS i know of, and the documentation spoils you! very
clear and well laid out with examples. having the web site local helps.
the FAQ is more like the manual.

>First, I have a laptop I want to install "Unix" on.  I've installed Linux
>on desktops several times in the past (starting with Ygdrasil), but I have
>the feeling I may have fun with the BackPack parallel port CD-ROM drive.
>So, question 1: which of the modern releases is likely to install easily on
>a laptop with about 0.5GB of disk space, 24MB of RAM, and a parallel port
>CD-ROM drive?
>
>Secondly, about free "Unix"es in general...  I'm a very busy systems and
>networks consultant.  I want it to work; I frankly don't have the time for
>a voyage of discovery (and no, I don't indend to pose as a Unix "expert").
>Maybe some day when I retire...
>
>Anyway, one of the thing that bugged me the most about Red Hat the last two
>times I tried it (4.x and 5.x distributions) was the fragmented and
>incomplete state of the documentation.  I'm no newbie -- I've worked with a
>number of Unix variants over the years.  I am kinda rusty, though; these
>days, I mostly do non-Unix systems administration.  I have no problem
>getting down and dirty, but I've got no time to play hide-and-seek with the
>docs.  If it's not in the man pages, it's not in the right place, dammit.
>
>I hear Slackware is a favorite of relatively knowledgeable Linux users.  Is
>it really any better documentation-wise?
>
>And what about the BSDs?  I'm a "BSD" guy from way back in the days of
>SunOS, and I still think Sun sold out to AT&T on SVR4.  But preferences
>aside, how do the free BSDs compare with Linux?  I've heard it said that if
>I like Slackware, I'll like BSD...386, I think they said.  I'm not sure
>about the difference.  I've never installed any of them.  And I don't have
>the time to try them all.
>
>Anyway -- comments?  Please?
>
>/kenw
>Ken Wallewein
>Calgary, Alberta
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I.M.Fairy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Schweitzer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 27 Jul 2000 13:43:39 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Steuber wrote:
> [story about a buil-it-yourself computer snipped]

I've built my latest PC myself, too.
I went a similar way as you did.
However, I also found www.resellerratings.com and found out that
my original choice for mailorder had a real bad reputation.
So I changed my sources and my parts were all perfectly fine, on time
and I was happy with it. They even adjusted my order to fix
incompatibilities.
Actually, before I placed my order I took a trip through the local
office and electronics stores and even found an on-sale HD and a
cheap ethernet card.

Now, I have a nice Athlon system that even runs Linux and FreeBSD.

Andreas

--
                       Andreas Schweitzer
             http://dilbert.physast.uga.edu/~andy/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:35:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik) wrote:
> Depends on the mobo, does it have SIMMs or DIMMs? If you're lucky and
> have DIMMs, many pc66 SDRAM DIMMs will run at 83MHz. Mine runs at 100
> *grin*.
>
> If there are only SIMMs, I'd consider getting a second-hand socket-7
> board that supports DIMMs and CPUs up to 550MHz, and get a K6-2
> 500/550.

Well, it takes DIMMS, but I don't have any lying around.

Say I bought a new CPU and one of the new mobo or new RAM, each of which
seem to be a similar price new, and kept the old variant of the other
(ie old SIMMs or old mobo).

What's the best deal? I'd have guessed at new m/b with 500MHz CPU and
old SIMMs would give best bang per buck.

And if I get a new mobo why stick with socket 7? Are the K6s so good
that it makes sense anyway?

Once again, thanks.