From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Looking for computer supplies?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 00:19:21 GMT

--=200009102019=

Hi!

If you are:
* Spending a lot of money in computer supplies
* Having hard times looking for your old equipment supplies

then, visit our website
http://www.mjsystemsmiami.com

for a FREE QUOTE!

You have nothing to loose, go to our website to see how we can
save you some bucks in computer hardware and supplies.

Sincerely,

Maria Alonso

VISION BUSINESS PRODUCTS of MIAMI - Authorized Distributor
Data & Word Precessing Supplies - 100% guaranteed!
We ship nation and worldwide - Ask for FREE QUOTE
http://www.mjsystemsmiami.com

--=200009102019=--

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com Linux Driver
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 00:28:47 GMT

I have a 3Com Etherlink III 3C509B-TP, and can't find the linux drivers
for it. I'm not sure if Linux won't use the NIC, or the problem is with my
settings. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, it says I have a NIC
installed, and the numbers are close, but it is not the right company. Is
this correct?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com Linux Driver
Date: 11 Sep 2000 00:42:44 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I have a 3Com Etherlink III 3C509B-TP, and can't find the linux drivers
: for it. I'm not sure if Linux won't use the NIC, or the problem is with my

They've been part of the standard kernel for the last 8 years at least
(as long as I've been using 3c509Bs).

: settings. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, it says I have a NIC

The procedure is well documented everywhere, particularly in the
Ethernet-HOWTO.

1) use the dos diskette that comes with the NICs to turn off their PnP
and set them to an IRQ and IO port of your choice. Be careful, only a
few combos are supported by the NIC. 5/10 and 210/300 are probably safe
bets.

2) load the kernel 3c509.o kernel driver, possible with an io= or irq=
param (I forget). Configure a network on the card with ifconfig.

3)  make changes permanent by editing conf.modules and wherever your
distro needs networking data put.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Dean Plude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 01:21:54 GMT

just modprobe 3c509
pick pnp os no in bios

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:42:17 +1200
From: Peter Rodriguez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Zip 100 Parallel Port Drive

Problem solved!

I tweaked the BIOS settings on the new machine (running RH 6.2) and the imm

module loaded immediately - Zip drive AOK.

For the record, I changed the Parallel Port Mode from ECP+EPP to SPP, and

changed the PNP/PCI Config from PNP OS Installed NO to YES.

Once again, thanks for your interest, and apologies to anyone who may have

been offended by my suspicion that there was something wrong with the imm.o

file!

--
Peter Rodriguez
136, Kolmar Road, Papatoetoe     LINUX RULES

------------------------------

From: Slava Shklyar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Serial port problem
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 04:34:08 +0200

Hi,
I have USR 56k Internal PCI modem under Redhat 6.1.

/etc/rc.d/*rc.serial:

setserial /dev/ttyS1 port 0xe800 irq 10 baud_base 115200 uart 16550A
autoconfig spd_vhi
stty -ixon crtscts line 115200 < /dev/modem

So, after startup i can connect, but get only 19200 bps, when under
another OS (win98/NT) i able to connect on 45333 bps.

Maybe  i have any mistake in rc.serial ? Or maybe it's not serial port
problem and something asle ?

Thank you,
Slava Shklyar.

------------------------------

From: "QZ" <no@mail>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: mobile rack dangers?, ata33/66
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 22:12:12 -0400

So who makes a cartridge that is plastic with a fan or metal? I am
considering eiware's Hot Data Shuttle cartridge and Hot Shadow software, but
it appears to be plastic and there is no mention of a fan, so now I am
concerned. BTW, it says it works with all EIDE drives and they are pricey. I
want a removable, easy, fast, daily back-up storage device. What exactly do
you think is the best, safest solution? That is the best I could find.

"Felix Miata" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<snip>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HP CDWriter SCSI support
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 02:19:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Assuming you don't want to recompile the kernel, add a line to your
> Linux boot section of lilo.conf similar to:
>
> append="hdc=ide-scsi"
>
> Run /sbin/lilo and reboot.
>

> In RH 6.2 (which now calls the file modules.conf), that no longer
> appears to work, and I have not found a combination that does. So
> instead, I put into /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
>
> modprobe ide-scsi
>
> Works fine for me.

I have Redhat6.2 and have tried the above suggestions but when I run
cdrecord -scanbus I get this:

[root@localhost /root]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
are root.

this is a copy of my rc.local file:

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

modprobe ide-scsi

if [ -f /etc/redhat-release ]; then
    R=$(cat /etc/redhat-release)

    arch=$(uname -m)
    a="a"
    case "_$arch" in
            _a*) a="an";;
            _i*) a="an";;
    esac

    NUMPROC=`egrep -c "^cpu[0-9]+" /proc/stat`
    if [ "$NUMPROC" -gt "1" ]; then
        SMP="$NUMPROC-processor "
        if [ "$NUMPROC" = "8" -o "$NUMPROC" = "11" ]; then
            a="an"
        else
            a="a"
        fi
    fi

    # This will overwrite /etc/issue at every boot.  So, make any
changes you
    # want to make to /etc/issue here or you will lose them when you
reboot.
    echo "" > /etc/issue
    echo "$R" >> /etc/issue
    echo "Kernel $(uname -r) on $a $SMP$(uname -m)" >> /etc/issue

    cp -f /etc/issue /etc/issue.net
    echo >> /etc/issue
fi

this is a copy of my lilo.conf file.

boot=/dev/fd0
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
prompt
image=/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda4
        append="hdb=ide-scsi"

DO I HAVE SOMETHING WRONG????

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Will the real NIC vendor please stand up?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 02:42:24 GMT

Me too. I recently got the 17XL2, it has a build in Modem and NIC
combo. They are Conexant indeed. I can't find anyone (vendor) using the
same Conenxant chip to make their NIC and of course I can't find any
driver anywhere. I wonder why Compaq choose to use this chip for their
NIC. How ever it works fine on Win98 and Win2000.

In article <8pghln$sr6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Scott Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Andrew E. Schulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I recently bought a Compaq Presario 17XL2 ("build your own")
laptop.
>  It came
> > > with what they call a Compaq MiniPCI Combo 56k modem and 10/100
> ethernet
> > > card.  I'm trying to get the NIC to work in Linux (Mandrake 7.1),
> but it's
> > > not recognized by the kernel.  There's no mention of it during
> bootup or in
> > > dmesg, and /proc/pci says:
> > >
> > > Bus 0, device 9, function 0: Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor
> Unknown
> > > device (rev 8). Vendor id=14f1. Device id=1803. Medium devsel.
Fast
> > > back-to-back capable.  BIST capable.  IRQ 9.  Master Capable.
> Latency=160.
> > > Min Gnt=20.Max Lat=40. I/O at 0x1400 [0x1401]. Non-prefetchable 32
> bit memory
> > > at 0xf4000000 [0xf4000000].
> > >
> > > I cannot figure out exactly what this thing is because I'm getting
> > > conflicting information.
> >
> > A suggestion: if your laptop also runs Windows, download and install
> Sandra
> > from http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/.  This is a shareware
> > diagnostic suite.  Go to the "PCI and AGP buses information" module,
> and
> > you'll see a lot of information about your NIC, including "OEM
device
> name"
> > and "OEM hardware ID".  You might find some new information there.
> was
> > suprised to see that my SMC NIC is manufactured by Accton.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Andrew.
> >

> Nifty little tool -- thanks for the tip.  It didn't provide any new
> information, though.  It said the OEM Device Name is "Conexant
Unknown",

From: "Richard Garand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: HP DeskJet 720C
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 03:29:53 GMT

I have an HP DeskJet 720C. I know these aren't supposed to work very well in
linux, but is there any way to get it working? Does anyone else have
experience with this?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SCSI Tape Drive Question
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 03:17:13 GMT

I am trying to get a SCSI, DDS4 tape drive (Dell "PowerVault") to work
with my Linux system, but am not having much luck.  Here's the story.
If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

I installed a SCSI card (Adaptec 2940) and Linux detected the card
correctly on the first boot after installation.  dmesg shows:

scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.

So far, so good.

Next I installed the tape drive, connected it to the SCSI card (with an
active terminator and all that jazz) and rebooted.  On reboot, the tape
drive flashed its indicator LEDs a bit, so this is not a power supply
problem.

First indication that something is wrong:  Linux did not report that it
detected any new hardware on boot.  (It had explicitly detected the
SCSI card after I installed that.)

Second indication that something is wrong:  the entire contents of the
file /proc/scsi/scsi is "Attached devices: none"

Third indication:  `mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind` gives the following output:
        /dev/nst0: No such device

So, obviously the tape drive isn't being detected.

I am using Mandrake Linux 7.0 (kernel version = 2.2.15) and am using
the out-of-the-box kernel (haven't recompiled it or changed any default
settings).  I thought I might be missing the driver, so I went into the
kernel source directory and ran `make menuconfig`, which had the
following to say under "SCSI Support":

<*> SCSI tape support

Since I've never changed or recompiled the kernel, I take this to mean
that st.c is compiled into the kernel statically.  (which explains why
I couldn't find st.o in /lib/modules/2.2.15-4mdk/scsi/ )

So, now I'm at a loss.  I seem to have the necessary driver in my
kernel, the SCSI card itself is working, the bus is terminated
properly, the drive has power, but mt refuses to acknowledge its
existence.  This is my first foray into using SCSI peripherals under
Linux, so I think I'm probably missing something fundamental here.  Can
anyone help?

Thank you,
Mike

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 03:35:25 GMT

------------------------------

From: "Mark Valiukas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 13:37:42 +1000

"Dean Plude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> just modprobe 3c509
> pick pnp os no in bios
I've had success with this, although like Peter I prefer to manually set the
card than "plug'n'pray" (multibooting NT, 98 and Linux). Futhermore, if your
motherboard supports P'n'P, you might like to change its settings so that
the IRQ you assign the card is assigned to Legacy/ISA rather than PnP/PCI -
never had a problem using a NIC because of this (yet :), but I've had a SCSI
controller or two that has been fussy.

One thing I'd like to add - for reasons I don't understand, automatic media
detection doesn't seem work for me under Linux. Bizarre, eh? I don't
remember whether it detects 10b2 and not 10bT, or detects 10bT and not 10b2,
as I first encountered this about four years ago, but I've always made sure
I explicitly select the media type when configuring the card ever since.

Mark.

------------------------------

From: "Naveen Pinglay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Linux/Netscape crashes  - Help! Please!
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 22:39:37 -0500

I am a Linux newbie and I installed COL 2.3 (kernel 2.2.10) a few days ago
on a HP Pavilion Pentium 233 machine with 32 MB RAM and a 3+ GB hard drive.
As I was unable to install the tulip drivers for my NetworkEverywhere NC100
card, I upgraded the kernel to 2.2.17 (downloaded from ftp.kernel.org
mirror), based on a fellow-user's note, this morning and lo and behold, my
network card finally started working and I was able to connect to the
internet.  However, all of a sudden, Netscape just froze (ver 4.61) -
meaning that I couldn't use the mouse and alt-tab did not work either.  I
didn't know any other way of killing the processes and therefore I had no
choice but to switch the computer off and switch it back on.  After what
seemed like a lengthy delay, linux booted up with no problems.  Again, a
couple of minutes after I opened Netscape, my computer crashed just like
before, with one major difference: it now refuses to boot up.  The COL
system startup screen shows up and nothing happens and the only way I can
switch off the machine now is to press and hold the power button for a few
seconds.

When I installed COL, I chose the "install to entire hard disk" option.  If
my memory serves me correctly, there is about 120+ swap partition, which I
believe was created automatically by the installation program.  I used the
picoboot program to boot into Linux, but I don't know what to look for.  The
/var/log directory contains no messages as far as I can tell.  There is only
one entry in that directory and the file contains only two lines.

I thank you in advance for your help.

Naveen Pinglay

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JMJ)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: HP M820e CD-RW progress??
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 03:46:11 GMT

Greetings,

I've been looking for info on this CD-RW lately and haven't found any
messages or postings since around March.  Has anyone made any progress
getting the included SCSI->PCMCIA adapter recognised in Linux?

Thanks for any/all info and pointers!!

JMJ