Subject: Re: Cable modem with Linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 24 Sep 2000 00:13:00 -0400

"P.V.Subramanian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>      I recently got cable modem from ROADRUNNER through TIME WARNER. What
> should I do in Linux (Redhat 6.2) to use it? In Windows 98, I have setup the
> servers as LAN rather than dial-up.

Unless it's radically different from other external cable modems, you
just set it up as a regular LAN.

See the man page for ifconfig and route.  If you have to use DHCP
(which you probably do), also check out dhcpcd and friends (you might
have to install the relevant packages).

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Chuck Blackmon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tekram 315U and SuSE?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 23:41:56 -0400

I just put mandrake 7.1 on my system and used the 395 driver.  It seems to
read the cds in my burner fine which is using the 315 card as its interface.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Dan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lexmark 5700 under linux
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 23:57:59 -0400

Thank you very much for the response.  I think that will send me well on my
way.. One problem, though..

When I run, say, "echo test | lpr" it gives me the following error:

lpr: connect: Connection refused
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

Any clues?  I was messing around with things before I got this response, so
who knows what I messed up.  Any help would be appreciated...

"Alexander Newald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
Dan wrote:
[How to get the lexmark 5700 to work?]

Hello,

a full installation guide can be found at www.newald.de/linux and then
fullow Lexmark 5700! This site is in english by default and also
available in german!

Alexander Newald

--
Alexander Newald Internet presentation  &  Network solution
Wunstorfer Straße 72

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Michael Collins ())
Subject: [video] PCI 2.0 vs PCI 2.1
Date: 24 Sep 2000 05:47:07 GMT

I have a Motherboard and I am building a small pentium
machine.

The motherboard has PCI 2.0, what are the problems
I should expect buying a new PCI video card.  What
are the differences between PCI 2.0 and PCI 2.1

--Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
Subject: Re: esd and no dsp
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 21:18:54 -0500

I don't have any experience with the motherboard Intel AC97 directly. I use
a Soundblaster Live! But, I did have to add:
        ln -s /dev/dsp0 /dev/dsp
to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local. Check ls -l /dev/dsp* and see if you have a
/dev/dsp0 and try the link. I use the ALSA drivers and it works for me.
The ALSA drivers load a module called snd-ac97-codec so maybe it is
relevant for you.

I did have to quit using esd, however. It caused stuttering when I changed
virtual screens under Xwindows.

------------------------------

From: Tom Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linix PIA pc on ebay
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 02:24:16 -0500

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=438655892

Personal Internet Appliance
includes:
stereo speakers
400 MHz Intel Pentium II
64 MB of RAM
2 GB hard drive
40X CD-ROM drive
56k internal modem, keyboard and 3 button mouse
10/100 PCI Network Interface Card
Debian GNU Linux installed and configured
"Linux for Dummies" and "Linux! I Didn't Know You Could Do That"
books included
Plus Red Hat 2.1 CD-ROM and a CD-ROM of helpful applications and games
shipping to U.S. only, via UPS.
ships in original box and packaging.

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATA100 support
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 07:22:16 GMT

Thomas Amsler wrote:

> How do I enable ATA100 support for my HD?  I have an ASUS CUSL2,(i815e chipset),
>motherboard and am running RH6.2.
>
> Thank you.
>
> -- Thomas

It is my understanding that you install the Kernel 2.4.x

I presume that you are using your motherboard and want to install a new
board since you must be running RH
6.2 on something.

See:

 http://www.linux-ide.org/chipsets.html

for more info.

JRT

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMR in linux
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 01:01:13 -0700

> I have seen the AMR slots on a few of the socket A motherboards now.
> Will an amr modem work in linux.  Are there any AMR modems that will
> work in linux.  I have been looking at the Asus A7V motheboard and I
> think I will run it with a duron 600.  Just wondering about the AMR
> thing though.  Also will the onboard sound that the A7V comes with work
> in redhat 6.2?  Thanks

I don't have any experience with that particular motherboard... but I do
have a PCChips M748LMRT with onboard *everything* with all the hardware
working under Linux.

Slackware and SuSE by experience... but it shouldn't particularly matter.

modem is PCTel HSP56 Micromodem - from what I understand there are a few
similar models - AMR, PCI, etc...

check out www.o2.net/~gromitkc

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 01:05:45 -0700

"Daryl Fonseca-Holt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I don't have any experience with the motherboard Intel AC97 directly. I
use
> a Soundblaster Live! But, I did have to add:
> ln -s /dev/dsp0 /dev/dsp
> to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local. Check ls -l /dev/dsp* and see if you have a
> /dev/dsp0 and try the link. I use the ALSA drivers and it works for me.
> The ALSA drivers load a module called snd-ac97-codec so maybe it is
> relevant for you.

ALSA works pretty well... as long as you read *all* of the tips in the
INSTALL file in the source distribution.

In particular... there is a 'snddevices' script it mentions... and OSS
support through additional modules.

(It's very easy to experience complete silence until you get it set up
completely - will probably use lsmod, rmmod, modprobe, insmod a bit until
you get things right)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: New linux user needs help with new kernel
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 08:01:34 GMT

I have linx mandrake 7.1. I am a brand new user. I downloaded and tried
to compile the latest 2.4.0 test kernel to get support for my hpt366.
That is now working but my sound is not working and my HP-CD writer and
my floppy drive is not working.  I have an ensoniq audiopci sound card.
I did say yes to the ES 1371 driver when using the xconfig. I am not
sure about everything in the xconfig since I am brand new to linux.
When I click on the cd-rom or floppy icon on the desktop it does not
show anything there even though I have a cd or floppy in the drive. I
have read as much as I could find but being new to linux don't
understand everything. Also when I run the DrakConf I do see my sound
card and cd-rom listed under hardware and it was working before I tried
to install the new kernel.

Thanks in advance for any help
Greg

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CMI8330 - sndconfig won't configure
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 01:07:50 -0700

"Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:LwKy5.20$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> sndconfig doesn't want to set up my CMI8330 chipset, anyone any ideas? The
> error I'm getting refers to "ad1816.o" or something similar (sorry, I'm at
> work and not at the relevant computer at the moment. Just thought I'd try
> quick enquiry between hectic moments.
>
> No matter what I do sndconfig just sits there and tells me that something
is
> already in use (to do with the file mentioned above). Even if I remove all
> the sound drivers using modprobe, it still won't do anything useful. I did
> have an OSS commercial driver for it but I lost the licence file. I saw
the
> option in sndconfig and thought I'd have a go. Guess I thought wrong.
>
> Any help appreciated

Check out ALSA at www.alsa-project.org - setup is a bit more effort... but
results should be nice when you get it working.

big hint... read INSTALL thoroughly

------------------------------

From: Alexander Newald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 11:07:50 +0200

Dan wrote:
[Problems by echo something direct to printer]

Hello,

as far as I know you can't send something direct to the lexmark 5700.
This is (windows spoken) a gui printer, that means it only understand
some sort of graphik language. On the other hand the permission denied
comes from your linux system and should be correct if you have done
this as normal user. =

Some information:

alex:~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
lp                      4960   1  (autoclean)
parport_pc              5540   1  [vmppuser]
parport                 6524   1  [lp vmppuser parport_pc]

And /dev/lp0 should have at least =

crw-rw-r--   1 root     lp         6,   0 Jul 23  1999 /dev/lp0

Alexander Newald

-- =

Alexander Newald                Internet presentation  &  Network solution
Wunstorfer Stra=DFe 72          =

Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 12:00:19 +0100
From: Sreekant Kodela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: shotgunning two modems under linux

Is it the same as multilink ppp!

I think kernel supports it.
I don't know anything else about the topic.

Regards
Sreekant

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 19:57:19 +1000
From: DaveH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Drivers graphic card : i815e ?

stef wrote:

> I'm looking for a new computer. Before my choice, I'm checking if some
> drivers for the i815e intel graphic card are available for Linux ?
> From xfree86 web site : No
> From mandrake web site : 810 chips only
> and from Intel support, both, 810 and 815 but you must compile the
> kernel !...

Not necessarily a kernel recompile - get the binary version - just a
couple of rpm's to install - easy as :-)

--
Cheers DaveH

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: pctel modem driver help
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 10:08:17 GMT

Hi,

I'm running RH 6.2 (kernel 2.2.14-5.0)
on a machine with Amptron K7-M800LMR motherboard
that has a PCtel HSP modem.
It looks exactly like a PC100 architecture with a
sis900 NIC and a CM8x38 sound
chip (x - not sure whether it is 3 or 8). I have
tried to use every possible driver
from http://pctel.n3.net and
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html and
always get
the same error from depmod (whether I run it or
after reboot):

***Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.14-
5.0/net/pctel.o

Unfortunately my lack of knowledge prevents me
from digging deeper. I would appreciate
any help or advise you can give.

Thanks,
Vlad

From: "André Dalle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: aic7xxx: scsi parity error in command phase
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 11:57:21 GMT

Whenever I *write* a large amount of data (multiple megabytes) to the
Quantum 36GB disk, I tend to get "scsi parity error in command phase".

This does not simply interrupt the current write operation - it completely
freezes the entire scsi bus.

That is, I cannot even read the root filesystem - and thus cannot even halt,
reboot, or do anything at all.  I have to hit the hardware reset button.

I've never had parity errors before and don't quite know how best to
proceed..
I've disabled TCQ on the disk in question, so it can't be that.

Should I call up Quantum and pursue a warranty replacement?

As you can imagine, I've lots of data on that disk (the machine is my local
file server),
and hope to avoid returning the disk if at all possible...

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Below follows the output from /proc/scsi/scsi and /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0:

/proc/scsi/scsi:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST34520W         Rev: 1487
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: ATLAS IV 36 WLS  Rev: 0808
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST34520W         Rev: 1281
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PIONEER  Model: CD-ROM DR-U12X   Rev: 1.06
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

/proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0:

Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.1.28/3.2.4
Compile Options:
  TCQ Enabled By Default : Enabled
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Enabled
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 5

Adapter Configuration:
           SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AHA-293X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter
                           Ultra-2 LVD/SE Wide Controller at PCI 0/12/0
    PCI MMAPed I/O Base: 0xe1000000
 Adapter SEEPROM Config: SEEPROM found and used.
      Adaptec SCSI BIOS: Enabled
                    IRQ: 11
                   SCBs: Active 1, Max Active 17,
                         Allocated 45, HW 32, Page 255
             Interrupts: 185273
      BIOS Control Word: 0x18a6
   Adapter Control Word: 0x1c5f
   Extended Translation: Enabled
Disconnect Enable Flags: 0xffff
     Ultra Enable Flags: 0x0000
 Tag Queue Enable Flags: 0x0005
Ordered Queue Tag Flags: 0x0005
Default Tag Queue Depth: 16
    Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {0,255,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0}
    Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {16,1,16,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}

Statistics:

(scsi0:0:0:0)
  Device using Wide/Sync transfers at 40.0 MByte/sec, offset 15
  Transinfo settings: current(12/15/1/0), goal(10/127/1/0), user(10/127/1/0)
  Total transfers 2 (2 reads and 0 writes)
             < 2K      2K+     4K+     8K+    16K+    32K+    64K+   128K+
   Reads:       2       0       0       0       0       0       0       0
  Writes:       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0

(scsi0:0:1:0)
  Device using Wide/Sync transfers at 40.0 MByte/sec, offset 31
  Transinfo settings: current(12/31/1/0), goal(12/127/1/0), user(10/127/1/0)
  Total transfers 170086 (170084 reads and 2 writes)
             < 2K      2K+     4K+     8K+    16K+    32K+    64K+   128K+
   Reads:  131498      16      53    5179     317   33021       0       0
  Writes:       2       0       0       0       0       0       0       0

(scsi0:0:2:0)
  Device using Wide/Sync transfers at 40.0 MByte/sec, offset 15
  Transinfo settings: current(12/15/1/0), goal(10/127/1/0), user(10/127/1/0)
  Total transfers 14997 (13643 reads and 1354 writes)
             < 2K      2K+     4K+     8K+    16K+    32K+    64K+   128K+
   Reads:       3       0    9824     448     361    2892     115       0
  Writes:       0       0     917     323      25      11      78       0

(scsi0:0:6:0)
  Device using Narrow/Sync transfers at 10.0 MByte/sec, offset 15
  Transinfo settings: current(25/15/0/0), goal(11/127/0/0), user(11/127/1/0)
  Total transfers 0 (0 reads and 0 writes)
             < 2K      2K+     4K+     8K+    16K+    32K+    64K+   128K+
   Reads:       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0
  Writes:       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0