Linux-Hardware Digest #687, Volume #13            Sat, 7 Oct 00 17:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: KT7-RAID with Linux? (KiDWiZ)
  stcolor epson860 ("Ivan  Danicic")
  Maximimun Process Size 555Mb ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Arco-IDE-RAID not in DMA mode :-( (Dick Visser)
  "NO DIALTONE" in minicom? (Davis Eric)
  Re: How to make bootable below 1024 while others above it? (Davis Eric)
  emagic audiowerk 8 soundcard in linux (matthias tarasiewicz)
  Re: IEEE 488 (David Smith)
  Re: KT7-RAID with Linux? ("Bert Claerhout")
  Microsoft Freestyle joystick (Ken Watts)
  Re: Kernel 2.2.17 and PCI Modem (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Kernel 2.2.17 and PCI Modem (James Richard Tyrer)
  Questions about Linux on IBM RS/6000 hardware (Ric Rivera)
  Re: UDMA problem (James Richard Tyrer)
  lpd/lpr problems ("Joseph C. Kopec")
  Re: UDMA problem (Bit Twister)
  CPUID fault on RH6.2 on Asus A7V w/ Athlon Thunderbird (Guy Delamarter)
  Re: looking for terabit ethernet cards for linux (James Knott)
  Re: CPUID fault on RH6.2 on Asus A7V w/ Athlon Thunderbird (Guy Delamarter)
  Re: Adaptec AAA-131 RAID card (mark farrugia)
  Re: KT7-RAID with Linux? (schang)

From: KiDWiZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Subject: Re: KT7-RAID with Linux?
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 17:14:08 GMT

I could not install RH but mandrake installed fine.  But don't use the
highpoint controller to install.  You have to install on the reg
controller and then edit the boot process and patch the kernel with the
highpoint fix.

------------------------------

From: "Ivan  Danicic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: stcolor epson860
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 17:16:17 +0100

Hello, My printer has very poor resolution output when printing under linux
using the stcolor driver for ghostscript. The filter is:

#!/bin/sh
RESOLUTION=360x360
/usr/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=stcolor -r$RESOLUTION  -sOutputFil
e=- -

#end of filter

Whatever I put into resolution (including nothing or 720x720) makes no
difference.
The resolution is excellent when printing under  windows98. Any comments
will be gratefully received.
Ivan
in London, UK.

_________________________
|  Eppur' si muove  - - Gallileo    |
*************************************

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Maximimun Process Size 555Mb ?
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 17:16:03 GMT

G'Day All,

Righto, we run an ISP and have a Large Linux / Squid proxy box. We put
some more disk in, and our squid process begain to grow (this is
expected) - to this end, we bumped the ram on the machine up to 1Gb.

When our squid process bombs ouy (at 555Mb) we see
"xmalloc: unable to allocate 32768 bytes!".

After much trolling around lists / squid archives etc I just couldn't
find any (linux specific answers).

I needed to work out if it was a squid issue or a memory issues. I
wrote a small C program that mallocs 1 byte at a time. Malloc _always_
fails at: 576797824 bytes. (which is around the same size as the squid
process).

I have also tried intentially getting other processes to blow out
memory wise, and sure enough they all die around the same size. This
has been done on 4 machine (the ones with enough real memory test with
swap off too).

I have gone through all of the ulimit issues etc (all show data seg
size set to unlimited).

So - is there some kind of kernel limitation on the maximum size of the
kernel ? (if so where on earth is it!!!).

FYI: (main squid proxy)
Gigabyte Motherboard
P3 800 (100)
1Gb Ram
Slackware 7.0 (with kernal upgrade to 2.2.16)

With my little "memory test" program, I managed to stop it 1 byte
before the failed malloc - at this point, /proc/process_num/-

status
Name:   test1
State:  S (sleeping)
Pid:    15523
PPid:   10677
Uid:    0       0       0       0
Gid:    0       0       0       0
Groups: 0 1 2 3 4 6 10 11
VmSize:   568708 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmRSS:    568044 kB
VmData:   567700 kB
VmStk:         8 kB
VmExe:         4 kB
VmLib:       972 kB
SigPnd: 0000000000000000
SigBlk: 0000000000000000
SigIgn: 0000000000000000
SigCgt: 0000000000000000
CapInh: 0000000000000000
CapPrm: 00000000fffffeff
CapEff: 00000000fffffeff

stat

15523 (test1) S 10677 15523 10677 771 15523 0 141935 0 106 0 14 358 0 0
9 0 0 0 120640442 582356992 142011 2147483647 134512640
 134514411 2147482400 2147481856 716493729 0 0 0 0 21486041

statm
142011 142011 77 2 0 142009 14193459 0 0 17 0

I have looked _everywhere_ but I can't even find mention of max data
size process limits.

ANY help at all would be fantastic.

If anyone has the solution, please mail it to me asap: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

All help appreciated!

Kindest Regards,
Matt Robinson  BCompSci
ISP Dr Internet (Australia)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dick Visser)
Subject: Re: Arco-IDE-RAID not in DMA mode :-(
Date: 7 Oct 2000 17:56:38 GMT

On Sat, 07 Oct 2000 16:20:48 GMT, Giulio Orsero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dick Visser) ha scritto:
>
>>and an IDE-RAID-adapter by Arco (www.arcoide), model DupliDisk ISA.
>>All seems to work fine. After initialisation of the drives by software
>on a
>>Using DMA: operation not permitted.
>>I've tried to change to setting in BIOS but it's no use...
>
>Try running "ACP/U" at the command line (dos diskette prompt) and set
>the DMA mode to ZERO.

OK that /u option gives another menu item (which I cannot find anywhere in the
manual!) : Ultra DMA -> Enabled -> Mode 0.
But when I'm done and reboot nothing has changed. Do I have to
Uninitialize/Initialize before it works, or even a new CopyData???

Are there any more hidden options on the dos command line btw?

PS I'm using the plain DupliDisk, *not* the DupliDisk II which is capable of
doing UATA....

--

Dick Visser

------------------------------

From: Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "NO DIALTONE" in minicom?
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 18:03:18 GMT

Hi, there,

A question on modem. I am using 56k external Hayes modem. I am sure it
is not winmodem. I can use minicom to communicate with it.

But when I try to use it to dial out, I got "NO DIALTONE" and I could
not dial out. What is the reason for this? How can I fix it?

Thanks,

Davis

--
I do not feel shameful if I was and am an idiot; I
will feel shameful if I haven't realized it.

From: Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to make bootable below 1024 while others above it?
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 18:00:35 GMT

Hi,

Thanks. From your postings, I concluded that if I use fdisk (I indeed
used it), and also put the partition "/boot" below 1024 cylinder, then
everything should be ok, no matter whether other partitions are above
1024 or not. Is this correct?

Thank you for further clarification.

Davis

From: matthias tarasiewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.help,z-netz.alt.linux
Subject: emagic audiowerk 8 soundcard in linux
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 22:53:39 +0200

hi

i wanted to know if it is somwhow possible to use the emagic audiowerk 8
soundcard in linux - somehow

has anyone ideas or even tested it?

thanks

matt

------------------------------

From: David Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IEEE 488
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 18:50:09 GMT

Get the National Instruments gpib card and download the Linux drivers
from their web site.   At this point you will be able to link to C/C++
programs.
Interfaces to Perl (www.mock.com), Python and I believe TCL/Tk are
available.

Don't wast your time with the llp gpib drivers.  They are very buggy and
no
longer being developed or supported.

Dave Smith

------------------------------

From: "Bert Claerhout" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 20:42:20 +0200

or try gentus linux. that's a version of redhat 6.2 specific for abit
mobo's. i have installed it and it works fine. with support of hpt370
controller..

make sure you download version 3.0A

www.gentus.com

bert.
(no, not the one from sesamestreet)

KiDWiZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Ken Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Microsoft Freestyle joystick
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 14:08:23 -0500

Hello all,

I just bought a Freestyle Pro and am trying to get it to work under
linux through the gameport.

My config:

Mandrake 7.1
Joystick ver 1.2.15

A regular joystick or gamepad works.  According to the joystick driver
docs, the Freestyle Pro is supported by the joy-sidewinder module.
Whenever I install the joy-sidewinder mod, It says it has detected an
unknown joystick and displays diags.  The type packet is blank.  The
data packet shows data.

The joystick works great under Windoze.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Ken Watts

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.17 and PCI Modem
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 19:28:22 GMT

I just finished updating to Kernel v. 2.2.17 and it found my USR/3Com
3PC2976 PCI modem.  That is, it didn't need the Serial driver.  I
presume that the driver is now built in.

The Kernel has Serial v. 4.72 built in.

It does not need an "rc.serial" file.

HOWEVER, attempts to install Serial 5.04 were moderately disastrous.

JRT

------------------------------

From: Ric Rivera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Questions about Linux on IBM RS/6000 hardware
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 15:46:51 -0400

Hiya

I noticed on the IBM site that Linux is enabled on a number of IBM's
RS/6000 models, including the B50, F50, and 43P-150.

What kind of hardware differences exist between the 43P-140 and
43P-150?  If I can run Linux on the 150, shouldn't I be able to on the
140 as well?  As far as I could tell, the only difference was the 150
had a faster processor and a black case.

Also, if it does run on the 140, are there any success stories?  Is it
hard to do?  Where can I get a cheap 43P these days to try this out
myself?

Thanks in advance,
Ric

PS- Please reply to my email as well as the group.

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA problem
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 19:50:58 GMT

Ton wrote:
and
make
That is probably just the stupid BIOS.
primary is "0", the first secondary is "1" ... etc.]
for "hdparm" as works manually onto the end of the rc.local file.&nbsp;<b>
result, and it shouldn't be necessary.
ok

------------------------------

From: "Joseph C. Kopec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: lpd/lpr problems
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 19:52:55 GMT

I have a Brother 1270N networkable laser printer hooked up to my network
(network is not the problem -- I can ping the printer and access its
on-board admin web server (cool feature)).  It had been working fine,
but I get sporadic conditions where nothing will print, a message
referring to "lpr: connect:... daemon not found" (unfortunately, I
didn't jot this down last it happened) is displayed and the spooled
files apparently accumulate in /var/spool/lpd/lp.  I think I am pretty
comfortable that my /etc/printcap is properly set up -- see below (I
used printtool to configure the printer, but checked the resulting
/etc/printcap against the description in _Running Linux_ and the very
detailed (and *nix-friendly) manual that came on the Brother CDROM).  My
guess was that lpd is terminating and perhaps being relauched in a way
that doesn't work or interferes with printing, but I'm not so sure.
When I have the problem, running ps -ax shows several incidences of lpd
running.  I will often get messages like this in my /var/log/messages:

  jck0 lpd[746]: lp: lost connection
  jck0 lpd[746]: restarting lp

This seems to be more of a problem from when I am using version
2.4.0-test7 of the kernel than 2.2.14 (is this an issue with the newer
kernels?).  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

********************
#/etc/printcap

lp:\
  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
  :mx#0:\
  :sh:\
  :rm=192.168.0.5:\
  :rp=BINARY_P1:\
  if:/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 20:10:51 GMT

I used       hdparm -c 1 -d 1 -k 1 /dev/hda
to turn on dma on my drive.

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

------------------------------

From: Guy Delamarter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CPUID fault on RH6.2 on Asus A7V w/ Athlon Thunderbird
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 20:37:11 GMT

I have a 1GHz Athlon installed on an Asus A7V Motherboard.  After moving
the harddrive to the IDE controller from the UDMA/100 port (evidently
unsupported for the install) I managed to get RedHat 6.2 to install from
the CD.  It appeared to perform the install just fine.  When I rebooted
it came to lilo, loaded the kernel, and started running the kernel.
Then is hit the point where it recognized the CPU as an Athlon and said
something like:

Disabling CPUID serial number...general protection fault: 0000

<hex register, address stuff deleted>

Kernel panic:  Attempted to kill the idle task!
In swapper task - not syncing

What is the problem?  How do I solve it?

------------------------------

From: James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: looking for terabit ethernet cards for linux
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 20:51:32 GMT

I doubt you'd find anything like that.  That's 1000x faster than
gigabit ethernet.  You'd definitely need fibre & multiple lasers for
that speed.  I've never heard of anything electronic operating at
that rate.

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be ignored
To send me an e-mail, replace every thing to the left of "@" with

------------------------------

From: Guy Delamarter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 21:01:58 GMT

With some further searching after my post I found that this is a known
problem.  The answer is in the group linux.redhat.install in several
messages and involves passing the x86_serial_nr=1 flag to the kernel
through lilo.

I hope this works!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark farrugia)
Subject: Re: Adaptec AAA-131 RAID card
Date: 7 Oct 2000 23:07:10 +0200

>  [Previous]   [Next]   [Reply]   [Index]  [Home]  [Find]
>

>                                                                           E=0
>VSPACE=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=NO BORDERCOLOR="#000000">
>
>    * Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.hardware
>    * From: Emory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>    * Subject: Adaptec AAA-131 RAID card
>    * Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 11:51:15 -0500

> I was given one. It works but I can't boot from it.
> Can boot from IDE drive and access the 4 drives on the Adaptec.
> Disabling the IDE controller and setting BIOS to boot from SCSI
> causes machine to hang at the dreaded DMI message.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, Emory

>  [Previous]   [Next]   [Reply]   [Index]  [Home]  [Find]
> Mailgate.ORG is maintained online by Dario Centofanti

Emory,

I had the same problems.. I don't have a RAID Card, but I do have an Adaptec 2940U2W
with Two Seagate Cheetahs, and I also have a 30 and 40 GB IDE drives connected as
masters on each IDE Channel.

I would install Mandrake (or Redhat did not matter which) and it would always hang at
the LILO prompt.  I would boot with a boot disk into the O/S and when I ran /sbin/lilo
it would say that /dev/sda is not the first disk.

I had to add these lines to the lilo.conf file

    disk=/dev/sda
    bios=0x80
    disk=/dev/hda
    bios=0x81

Now my machines boots like a champ off of the SCSI drive ID0, and I don't get no LILO
errors no more.

I hope that helps you.

mark.

--
Posted from mail2.rdc2.on.home.com [24.9.0.41]

From: schang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 21:04:04 GMT

I installed four linux boxes last week, all based on RH6.2. One of them is raid
and the others are non-raid. All went pretty well.
The only glitch is that if you use fdisk and select "check for bad block "when
formating disks,
the system hangs. It happens every time.

The other thing to keep in mind is during the installation process, right after
selecting mount point etc, it asks
you to insert special kernel parameters, DON'T FORGET TO INSERT
'x86_serial_nr=1' in it. It will save you a lot of grief later.

Another minor point is, I didn't install floppy disks on most of the systems,
and if by accident press the default
'next' when prompt for making a boot disk, guess what, it just hangs forever.
There should be a graceful way out,
but there isn't.

In the end very happy with the system, with Duron 650 overclocked the range
850-980, all of them run very well.
But the OS doesn't like too much overclocking.

And it seems they run better than the dual celeron/BP6 system we have.

I haven't installed RAID yet since there is no driver support for RAID0+1.