From: "Tim Van Holder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Turtle Beach drivers? (Santa Cruz)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:11:36 GMT

I'm planning on getting a new PC at the end of the month and wanted to
get a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card for it (it seems like a great
card). Unfortunately, an e-mail to their techies revealed that there was
no Linux driver, nor were they planning to create one.
So what I wanted to know was whether there are any drivers being
developed for this card (or its Cirrus DSP's).

--
Tim Van Holder - Falcon Software NV
Fight spam - go to http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/

------------------------------

From: Mogens Kjaer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-Link DFE530TX+ NIC problems
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:24:00 +0200

Henning Pedersen wrote:

> I realise that it might be an IRQ conflict but if so how do I solve it? I
> tried /proc/interrupts and this is what I got:

What does it say in /proc/pci?

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08

------------------------------

From: "Andrew E. Schulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tekram dc-390u3w support
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:26:30 -0400

See http://www.tekram.com/updates.asp?Product=DC-390U3_Series.

------------------------------

From: "ZZ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.graphics.packages.3dstudio,comp.benchmarks,comp.cad.autocad
Subject: Re: VideoCards:Advice needed
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:34:51 GMT

*i would say the nvidia not because of performance or capabilities but because
of their past efforts.
*their opengl drivers are the most compliant of the consumer cards.
*ati might have a great card now but will they keep bringing out newer + better
drivers for it?

--
GET IT HERE http://members.xoom.com/myBollux  FREE BOLLUX

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What proc type for AMD Athlon Thunderbird? (Was: CPUID ... )
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:57:27 +0200

Hi,

I've had a problem on my Athlon 750 with an old S3 virge DX card.
The screen also seemed to wobble under load, and disk IO.

I got a new TNT2 , and this went away.
(I was told this was busses being locked or something)

When you compile programs as 686 or 586 it does not really mean that
it's using new instructions.
It means that "padding" is added to make it easier for the pipe line in
the specified CPU to handle.
586 = make instructions more simple
686 = make instructions more complex

Compiling for 686 on a classic Pentium 54c will still work
Just will not be as fast as 586.

Check the explanation ,when you make menuconfig, go to cpu, click help.

Cheers
Richard.

PS some of the 2.3.X and I was told 2.2.17 have a setting for the
Athlon.
This caused by athlon to got from 800 bogomips to 1300. (this is good)

------------------------------

From: "Crash&Burn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.graphics.packages.3dstudio,comp.benchmarks,comp.cad.autocad
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:47:30 GMT

Actually the MAXX isn't 2000 compatiable so you'll just get a Rage Fury PRo
if you buy it.
But the 2D of the Radeon is well superior to the GeForce and the 3D is above
the MX since the MX is physicly crippled and the Radeon is only clocked down
to 166 and overclocking back to 183 or 200 it is quite possiable. Price on a
32MB Redeon is similar to the MX and the drivers are getting a very good
response for an ATI card this time round.

From: "ahmad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.graphics.packages.3dstudio,comp.benchmarks,comp.cad.autocad
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:05:11 GMT

get one of the high end elsa geforce cards.  up until 6 months ago, elsa
only made high end modeling cards, and as a result, their drivers, even for
the "game" Gladiac Geforce card is top notch (in regards to modeling apps).
most or all of the geforce cards use the same nvidia chip, but the drivers
are sometimes night and day difference.  i had a guillemont geforce card and
it would crash in max when i would enable real-time texture maps in the view
port.  i switched to an elsa gladiac card and no problems since.

From: Xeno Campanoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: f$%#ing MODEMS!!!!
Date: 16 Oct 2000 16:55:07 -0600

I've got a Viking USB modem that doesn't seem to respond to the usb port probe
on S.u.S.E. 7.0 at install time.  I've been batting 1000 all week with 7.0
talking to modems and NICs.  It never sees any of them.  I'm not the most
seasoned sysadmin but I have installed NICs on my home LAN before, and this is
pretty frustrating.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: On or about Fri, 13 Oct 2000 00:10:29 -0500, Dusty Dew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scrivened:

:> First can anyone tell me if a PCI 56k/V.90 Internal modem from Viking
:> Components will run under Linux. I went to there web site and from reading a
:> couple of FAQs it seems that it will work. How? The always leave off the
:> how.

: Dunno.  What's the model number?  Is this the product page:
: http://www.vikingcomponents.com/products/56pci.cfm

:> Second, how do I set it up if it does work.

: Check your system boot messages, usually 'dmesg' or 'cat /var/log/dmesg'
: will give this to you.  You're looking for a set of lines like:

:     ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
:     ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
:     ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

: This tells you the modem is detected.  If it's not, you've got some work
: to do, possibly jumpering the modem to an appropriate IRQ or COM port
: setting.  You may also want to read the Modem HOWTO from the GNU/Linux
: Documentation Project (http://www.linuxdoc.org/).

: Assuming all goes well, install the modem, and try to raise it by
: echoing to the proper serial port (in my case, COM2 == /dev/ttyS1)

:     $ echo "ATH1" > /dev/ttyS1

: ...which should produce a dialtone.  If you can't get a dialtone, start
: with the basics -- IRQ, COM port -- before messing with the detailed
: stuff.  You might also want to get familiar with PnP support for
: GNU/Linux.

: If possible, I'd recommend you return the card and get an external
: modem.

: --
: Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
:  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                    http://www.opensales.org
:   What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?      There is no K5 cabal
:    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/        http://www.kuro5hin.org
: GPG fingerprint: F932 8B25 5FDD 2528 D595 DC61 3847 889F 55F2 B9B0

--
Xeno Campanoli (erstwhile Xeno Whitenack, and Rick Burgess)
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     (Web pages:  http://www.aa.net/~xeno)

------------------------------

From: Xeno Campanoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SuSE 7.0 and 3Com 3c509b
Date: 16 Oct 2000 18:04:45 -0600

I'm having 100% problems with all my modems and NICs I'm trying to use with
S.u.S.E. 7.0.  The one I want to work on first is a machine I've got with two
3c509b's in it.  It doesn't see either card.  I've tried making sure the Kernel
compiles with the modules available and then I go through the howto sequence
for compiling and configuring, but still, no eth0 comes up in dmesg.  I'm still
whacking away at it, but I hope somebody knows of something fundamental I might
be doing wrong.  Thanks for any feedback.  Sincerely, Xeno Campanoli.

From: "Wil Beeren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: can't mount /dev/hda8
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:19:21 +0200

hmm...create the partition again with DOS fdisk...and format it perhaps ?

Greetings from Neer!

Wil Beeren
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Pankaj Chauhan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws

> This is a logical partition in a 30GB IBM DeskStar GXP 75 HDD that I
> recently bought.  This partition appears to be working fine under
> windows 98. I had used linux fdisk to create this partition (initially
> created some partitions and had some free space remaining, so asked
> fdisk to create a partition with ID 0x0b win95 fat32).  However, when
> I try to mount it with
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda8 /windows/opt, it fails with the
> following error message:
>
> [MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT 0,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=002,bmap]

[me=0x0,cs=0,#f=0,fs=0,fl=0,ds=0,de=0,data=0,se=0,ts=0,ls=0,rc=0,fc=42949672
95]

From: Peer Hebing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config
Subject: Re: Is Creative CDRW RW8433E ATAPI compatible with Cdrecord?
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:51:26 +0200

==============DFDA7FF3AD97B2D55D970CA5

Hello
Take a look at the following website :
 http://www.europe.redhat.com/documentation/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-1.php3
An advice :
There is a gui available for cdrecord , it is called xcdroast
(http://www.xcdroast.de )and is much more comfortable .
I am not sure , have u added the statement append = "hdx=ide-scsi" (x for a
or c ) to the lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo ?
CU
P.Hebing

Dr Aldo Medina schrieb:

> I use RH 6.2 with updates, and own a Creative CDRw (IDE). However I
> can't make it work with Linux (it works fine with other OS). I tried
> recompiling my kernel using SCSI support, SCSI emulation, but it isn't
> recognized by linux. Cdrecord -scanbus (1.8.1) gives "no such file or
> directory. Cannot open SCSI driver"
>
> Should I choose some SCSI type, or maybe some thing must be modules or
> should be integrated in kernel?. Where can I find more information about
> this (using an IDE CDRW with linux)? Is my CDRW even compatible? (it's
> not specified in CDrecord page, but it's ATAPI IDE and should be ok).
>
> lsmod gives nothing.
> TIA
> --
> Linux User #98419         -o)    | Message: Bad or missing mouse.
> http://counter.li.org      /\    | Spank the cat? (Y/N)
> Si quieres ayudarme,      _\_v   |
> ponme de referencia al           |
> inscribirte a www.puntosclub.com |

==============DFDA7FF3AD97B2D55D970CA5

Hello
HREF="http://www.europe.redhat.com/documentation/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-1.php3">http://www.europe.redhat.com/documentation/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-1.php3</A></u>
HREF="http://www.xcdroast.de">http://www.xcdroast.de</A>
</u>)and is much more comfortable .
(x for a or c ) to the lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo ?
(IDE). However I
or
or
about
-o)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| Message: Bad or missing mouse.
href="http://counter.li.org">http://counter.li.org</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
/\&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Spank the cat? (Y/N)

Date: 17 Oct 2000 7:0:17 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dds3 streamer density code

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Trent Piepho;

 TP> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 TP> achim  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Hi!
>>I have a problem withe the DDS3 Streamer Sony dts9000 (native
>>12GByte) under Linux 2.2.16 (SuSE 7.0) and a Adaptec 2940UW SCSI
>>Controller. The Drive  write only 8GByte on a DDS3 tape who can
>>store 12 GByte native or up to 24 GByte with compression.
>>
>>I think the problem is the density code 0x13 with 61000 bpi. But
>>DDS3-Media need a density of 122000 bpi but i can't change this
>>value up to 122000 bpi.

 TP> I have a SDT-9000 as well.  The density code appears to be fixed
 TP> at 0x13, no matter what you try to set it to or what kind of tape
 TP> you put in it.  However, I have no trouble getting 12GB+ on a
 TP> DDS3 tape.  Are you sure there is actually a problem?  If you
 TP> don't keep up a steady stream of data to the tape drive, it will
 TP> stop streaming and insert a gap, sort of like how a CD-R drive
 TP> will make a coaster if you don't keep up the data rate.  If you
 TP> have lots of streaming stops, you won't get 12GB of data on the
 TP> tape.  If you listen carefully, you can hear the drive stop and
 TP> rewind for a bit when this happens.

You surely must be thinking of linear tape drives such as QIC and
Travans.  I don't know this for sure, but with extensive experience in
videotape, and the editing that can be done, my guess is that the drives
os, if it doesn't have enough data in the buffer to fully write the next
head scan, will shut the record head off at the end of the current
track, stop the drive capstan, then reverse it for long enough that when
it has enough data to start writing again, it then goes back into play
mode to get mechanically sync'ed with the previous recording and turns
the record drive back on before it hits the next un-recorded track,
something it can do in less than a microsecond when the proper time
arrives.  The playback later has no idea or clue that the recording had
an 'edit point' during the scan gap, that portion of the drums rotation
where neither head on the drum is in contact with the tape.

The tape handling on a DAT doesn't involve high transport speeds except
when rewinding or searching, a normal record mode stop, backup and edit
restart doesn't make much noise at all, DAT's can do that fairly
quietly, but the whole house knows when a QIC or Travan drive has an
underrun caused restart.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Jørgensen)
Subject: Linux on a IBM RS/6000 B50
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:16:47 +0200

Hello.

Anyone sucessfully installed Linux on such a machine?
The problem seems to be that this box is a rackmount server
with no graphics-adapter, and SuSE's install-program seems to
not like the serial-console.

--
Hans Jørgensen - Boris - #Linux.dk & #Danmark on the Undernet
ICQ2969623 / http://ph33r.dk / mail: hans at ph33r.dk (nospam@ virker ikke)

------------------------------

From: Sven Bovin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:13:39 +0200

Pankaj Chauhan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a logical partition in a 30GB IBM DeskStar GXP 75 HDD that I
> recently bought.  This partition appears to be working fine under
> windows 98. I had used linux fdisk to create this partition (initially
> created some partitions and had some free space remaining, so asked
> fdisk to create a partition with ID 0x0b win95 fat32).  However, when
> I try to mount it with
>
>         mount -t vfat /dev/hda8 /windows/opt, it fails with the
>         following error message:
>
> [MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT 0,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=002,bmap]
>[me=0x0,cs=0,#f=0,fs=0,fl=0,ds=0,de=0,data=0,se=0,ts=0,ls=0,rc=0,fc=4294967295]
> Transaction block size = 512
> VFS: Can't find a valid MSDOS filesystem on dev 03:08.
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda8,
>        or too many mounted file systems

[snip]

Maybe a silly question, but have you formatted the
partition using Windows ?  The error message seems to
suggest the partition does not have a filesystem on it.

HTH

Sven

     sven dot bovin at chem dot kuleuven dot ac dot be

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bdejong)
Date: 17 Oct 2000 11:40:37 GMT
Subject: newbie question

I am useing suse7.0 and i dont know how to make my scanner work its an
opticpro9630p they supplied me with a card as well.Any help in setting it up
would be appreciated
thanks