disk) (Eric)

From: Mark Tyndall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.graphics.packages.3dstudio
Subject: Re: PIII vs Athlon
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:24:44 +0100

Glenn Thomas Hvidsten wrote:

> > Which processor is better for gaming and working in 3dstudio
> > PIII 600eb or Athlon 700
>
> I have read somewhere (Don't quite remember where, but it might have been in
> the "Inside 3D Studio Max 3" book) that Max3+ is optimized for PIII chips.
> Which basically means that it takes advantage of the SSE instruction in the
> PIII. Athlon doesn't have these instructions, so I would therefore go for
> PIII.

Tom's Hardware did some tests with 3DSM 3.1 in May this year[1] using

800 MHz PIII(Coppermine) on an OR840, 384 MB PC800 RDRAM
800 Mhz Athlon(K7-5, not T'Bird) on an ASUS K7V, 384 MB PC133 SDRAM

Clock-for-clock, the PIII usually beat the Athlon by ~5-10% , rising to ~30%
for one test (using a GeForce Quadro).

Bearing in mind that 700/600 Mhz is a 16% speed difference, that T'Birds are
faster than the older K7 and K7-5 versions, and that the PIII's supporting
platform was far better than the Athlon's (I'm assuming that since the OP
was comparing 6-700 MHz processors that cost *is* an issue), I'd go for the
Athlon.

Mark..
[1]  <http://www5.tomshardware.com/graphic/00q2/000515/index.html>, but the
3DSM tests start at
<http://www5.tomshardware.com/graphic/00q2/000515/opengl-24.html>

------------------------------

From: "Tom Cashman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,thenet.support.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Embedded Audio with Linux
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:56:20 +0100

I got the PhatLinux distribution recently, and only discovered trying to
configure X-Windows that both my graphics and audio are integrated into the
mainboard. After searching around on the internet, I managed to get Linux
drivers for the Intel 810 graphics chipset, but I've drawn a total blank on
the audio.

I think the manual is saying that my 'sound card' is based on the Creative
ES1373 chip, running on PCI Bus. It also says that it is AC '97 compliant
(which, after some research, I've found is some kind of audio codec standard
set up by Intel).

Any ideas for getting this to work under Linux / XFree86, anybody?

Cheers,

Tom Cashman

------------------------------

From: Post Joachim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xfree86 and SiS 610 chipset
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:30:12 +0200

Hello everybody,

is there everybody who has a running xfree86 with
an Silicon Integrated SiS 610 chipset on his system.
There is no status of this card for xfree86.4.0.1,
but for SiS 620 and 630. Can you tell me
wether the 610 chipset will run by the 620 or 630 driver?

Thanks, Joachim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: the mysterious disappearing filesystem (and recovering data from an unuseable
disk)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:27:01 GMT

howdy folks,

prior to problem: disk in question had two partitions on it, the first
(hdd1) was a 3G vfat filesystem and the second (hdd5) was a 3G vfat
filesystem.

first problem: i move all my data from both partitions and run 'fdisk
/dev/hdd'

i intended to create one big ext2 partition, but after exiting fdisk
(don't recall exact commands, but i tried to partition as desired and
did save (i believe!)) and running '/sbin/mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdd1' (i do
believe this is what i ran, not sure), i had an ext2 filesystem on hdd1
but still had a vfat filesystem on hdd5! everything mounted up fine, and
i decided to go with it as it was, and i moved files back to both
partitions.

after rebooting some time later, my machine wouldn't recognize hdd5! i
goofed around with fsck with no luck and decided to abandon hope for the
files that i'd saved to that partition and start over.

second problem: i moved the still extant files on hdd1 to a safe
location and ran fdisk again. this time i was sure to create one single
partition that was the full size of the disk (6G) in ext2 format and i
ran '/sbin/mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdd1' again.

again, /dev/hdd1 mounted up fine after this, and i moved my files back
over to this device. all was well until...  my next reboot.

once again, the computer would not recognize the partition.
/var/log/messages shows the following relevant messages (others
snipped):

Oct 18 21:31:38 lyn kernel:     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f, BIOS
settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
Oct 18 21:31:38 lyn kernel: hdd: Maxtor 90640D4, ATA DISK drive
Oct 18 21:31:38 lyn kernel: hdd: Maxtor 90640D4, 6149MB w/256kB Cache,
CHS=12495/16/63
Oct 18 21:31:38 lyn kernel:  hdd: unknown partition table
Oct 18 21:31:29 lyn mount: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad
superblock on /dev/hdd1,
Oct 18 21:31:38 lyn mount: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad
superblock on /dev/hdd1,

and now i've lost some stuff i'd really like to recover.

i have two questions for ya'll!

1) what might i have done wrong in each of my attempts described above?
my only idea was inspsired by this paragraph in the fdisk manpage:

BUGS
       There are several *fdisk programs around.   Each  has  its
       problems  and  strengths.   Try  them in the order cfdisk,
       fdisk, sfdisk.  (Indeed, cfdisk  is  a  beautiful  program
       that  has  strict  requirements on the partition tables it
       accepts, and produces high quality partition  tables.  Use
       it  if  you can.  fdisk is a buggy program that does fuzzy
       things - usually it happens to produce reasonable results.
       Its  single  advantage is that it has some support for BSD
       disk labels and other non-DOS partition tables.  Avoid  it
       if  you can.  sfdisk is for hackers only - the user inter­
       face is terrible, but it is more correct  than  fdisk  and
       more  powerful  than  both fdisk and cfdisk.  Moreover, it
       can be used noninteractively.)

doesn't make fdisk sound like the most reliable tool.

2) is there a FAQ somewhere on what i might do to recover data from this
disk? i've tried a couple things, the closest i've come is running
something like 'dd if=/dev/hdd of=/somedir/fs ...' and i was able to
view hints of what was on my the disk previously, but of course i hit
the 2G filesize limit before the job would complete, and i'm not sure
what i would have done with the image anyway : )

i have resigned myself to the liklihood that i've lost all this data for
good, but i wanted to at least attempt to bail myself out as well as
learn some new stuff : ) i'm very willing to RTFM, but i haven't found
anything relevant.

i'd really appreciate any tips, and i promise to pass on the good kharma
by assisting the next linux user *i* can help : )

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,thenet.support.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Embedded Audio with Linux
Date: 19 Oct 2000 12:33:29 +0100

"Tom Cashman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip]
> I think the manual is saying that my 'sound card' is based on the
> Creative ES1373 chip, running on PCI Bus. It also says that it is AC '97
> compliant (which, after some research, I've found is some kind of audio
> codec standard set up by Intel).

cat /proc/pci, that should tell you lots of useful stuff.

If it's anything like the box I acquired recently, it's quite possibly an
esssolo1 thing - try that module, see what happens.

~Tim
--
It's all over the front page                    | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
You give me road rage                           | http://piglet.is.dreaming.org

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fdisk fails to print partition info
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:49:23 +0200

John Hall wrote:

> I am running "/sbin/fdisk /dev/hdc" and trying to print my partition tables
> and i'm not seeing anything whatsoever.
>
> The strange thing is that when I mount the drive "mount /dev/hdc /archive"
> all my data is there. So something is obviously wrong with fdisk or fdisk's
> ability to print my partition tables. Unless i'm overlooking something
> silly. From my limited knowledge of sfdisk I wasn't able to produce a
> listing of my partition tables with it either.
>
> Thanks for you help.

/sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdc doesn't work either(as root)?

what about hda/hdb (if these exist)

Eric

------------------------------

From: Giulio Orsero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE RAID on linux
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:19:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Chuck Frost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ALi15x3 IDE controller) and it works fine. Only problem is that I
can't
> turn DMA on. I have the correct kernel patches from linux-ide.org (DMA
> works fine on the drive without the Arco in-line)... So I'm going to
> probably give 3ware a try as well.
Arcoide says "Run ACP/U at the command line (dos diskette prompt) and
set the DMA mode to ZERO."

Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Florian E.J. Fruth <fejf@gmx*/dev/null*.de>
Subject: Re: Soundlaster live on Debian GNU/Linux
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:41:42 +0200

Anthony David Fox wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have a Soundblaster live installed on a Win2k/Debian GNU/Linux
> system.  Under Win2k, the soundcard works fine.  I have attempted
> to install the alsa drivers for this sound card.  Basically, I
> have recompiled the kernel to support sound as a module, and I have
> compiled the alsa drivers.  I can load the drivers and sound modules
> into the kernel just fine.  Then I cat a text file to /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c
> which gives me the error message:
>
> cat: write error: Device not configured.
>
> Does anyone have any clues?  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

i think the easiest way to get the sblive to work is to install the
2.4.0-test -kernel (at the moment test9 i think). in this kernel there's
the sblive included and it works fine for me...
fejf

--
Words u don't want to hear from your sysadmin:
Ooops. Save your work - FAST !

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mandrake NIC Problem
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:38:04 GMT

Hello, I can't seem to get my NE2000 ISA-PNP card to work under Mandrake
7.1.

Here are the steps I have tried so far:

1) Verified that the card works in Windows (IRQ=3, IO=0x240)
2) Re-compiled the Kernel with NE2000 support
3) Created isapnp.conf using pnpdump, and uncommented irq 3 and io 0x240

These shouldn't make a difference (since it's compiled into the kernel),
but I tried these as well:

4) including ne in the "modules" and "modules.conf" files
5) using "modprobe ne io=0x240, irq=3"

What's going on? I have tried many times to get this to work, and I know
the card works, I know the ISA slot works, the compile went fine and
I've done this many times before with other computers and the above
steps almost always worked (except if the card was broken).

I am about to kick my box and heave it out a window. Worse yet, I am
getting fed up with Linux and I'm on the verge of dis-avowing it and
going back to (ugh, ack.. shudder...) M$ Winblows.

Damnit, I can't believe that Linux is failing me, would someone please
reveal to me the arcane spell that I don't know?

thanks!

From: "Jukka Liimatta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.graphics.packages.3dstudio
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:52:58 +0300

> But the Intel chipsets are more reliable.  The 440BX is more solid a
> chipset than anything out there for AMD.  Sorry, it's true.

VIA has excellent VIA KT133 chipset for Athlon's. 200Mhz FSB, AGP Pro/4G,
ATA100, etc. no problems, flawless performer. Asustek makes this A7V
motherboard with the chipset, it's very good.

I don't live in denial, don't worry about that. I myself am on PentiumII
400Mhz Dual rig, had it for two years now. And it's still performing great.
Almost everyone else has atleast 800Mhz Athlon here, and they chose the VIA
KT133 - no problems whatsoever. They mostly have GTS2's and Radeon's, zero
problems.

I have AMD K6-2 400Mhz aswell, which I still use to test 3DNow! code I write
occasionally ( I write the code on my own workstation which doesn't have
3DNow! ;-), and it's a bit flakey machine. It uses old AMD chipset for the
K6-2, and the machine used to crash now and then, when it had AGP graphics
card in it ( tried Voodoo3, Rage128, GeForce, TNT2 -- crashed randomly ;-).
Tried AGP miniport driver, kept crashing. Flashed latest bios. Kept
crashing. Installed PCI graphics board, been stable ever since. PCI is OK
for the machine, since just profile/test code on the box, don't play games
or anything like that on the machine.

So I can verify the stablity problem on some AMD chipsets. However, the VIA
KT133 is most stable and robust product. No problems whatsoever.

Even thought the Intel 440BX is stable, doesn't mean VIA KT133 couldn't be
stable aswell. Those two things are not mutually exclusive. Sorry, it's
true. =^)

Jukka

------------------------------

From: Malcolm Cowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fibre Channel/SCSI recommendation ?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:46:56 +0100

Martin Spott wrote:

> As I'm having lots of trouble with a RAID connected to an Interphase 5526
> Fibre Channel card I'd appreciate some recommendation on another Fibre
> Channel card for Linux/x86.
>
> Cheers,
>         Martin.
> --
>  Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just selective about who its friends are !

Have a look at:
        http://www.globalfilesystem.org/howtos/fibrechannel_howto/index.html

--
Malcolm Cowe.
EPSG IS,                        eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Ali" <cracker@$$$$redhotant.com>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Linux and digital camera
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:20:06 +0100

thanks for the help, I have now managed to access the camera as user and
download my pictures. Although I had to configure the port first then save
and do the same with the choice of camera in gphoto
and everything worked ok.

Ali

------------------------------

Date: 19 Oct 2000 8:42:31 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with SB Live

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to D. Stimits;

 DS> Paul Kuliniewicz wrote:
>>
>> > One little idea springs to mind. I assume that you have checked
>> > that nothing is muted in volume controls. Now make sure that your
>> > rear speaker plug is not connected to your card. It should work
>> > with only front speakers connected,
>>
>> No, I tried changing the volume controls with both XMixer and
>> KMixer. Nothing's muted -- in fact, everything's at full volume.
>> It's not a connection problem, either, since sound works perfectly
>> fine in both Windows
>> 98 and Windows 2000.  It has to be something in the software.
>>
>> Hopefully once I get ALSA installed and loaded properly that'll
>> solve the problem.

 DS> You should join the mailing list for emu10k1 at
 DS> http://opensource.creative.com

 DS> There are several people there who could probably earn a degree
 DS> in just the sblive, and are willing to ask the right questions.
 DS> There have been a number of recent mixer and other driver
 DS> changes.

This is no doubt true, but for the last 6 or so kernels I've built, and
currently running 2.2.18pre16, all I've had to do was check the emu10k1
driver in make xconfig, it has actually been moved into the kernel
sources, and works great there.  Rather re-assuring to hear that click
of the card coming alive while the lilo boot is still on the first
screen if its in the kernel, or later when conf.modules loads it if its
a module...

I hate to point out the obvious, but a lot of problems will go away if
the kernel isn't so old.  And once you have actually built a working
kernel for your system, continuity is maintained across updated versions
by simply copying from the old directory to the new, that pair of config
files, moving the linux link to point at the new version, and doing a
'make oldconfig', after of course applying the patchfile.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: "Frodo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3 Savage 4 (by sparkle)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:48:28 +0100

Hi
I've just bought this card for a friend but I didnt realise he was running
linux (mandrake?). Can anyone tell me if there are any drivers available for
it? I have tried the sparkle website but they say there's none available at
the moment.
What can I do? Any idea's appreciated.

Sharon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:56:31 +0100
From: David Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help (WAS Re: Recommendation)

Just a quick query I was hoping you could help me with...

David Evans wrote:

> olliecat wrote:
> >
> > Can anybody recommend a CD burner brand/model that works well under
> > linux that they are happy with ?  I want to get one and I would like > it
> > work under both Winxx, any flavor of linux, and maybe someday BeOS.

I was wondering something similar myself; I'm running L-M 7.0, Win NT,
with the intention to run Win Me and BeOS in the near future.

I must say I really fancy the look of the Ricoh 24x/6x/4x CD/R/RW with a
x4 speed DVD player combined, but I'm not sure if Linux can handle such
a, let's say exotic device, and, more to the point weather my PII/350
computer with a Voodoo 3000 can handle it as well, or will I need to
upgrade my Graphics card..?

Just wondering...

David.

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: the mysterious disappearing filesystem (and recovering data from an
unuseable disk)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:58:49 +0200

fdisk states, after you used it to alter the partition-table to reboot
first. Only after this reboot you can safely use the new
partition-table.

I don't have a clue on how to retrieve the data you have lost, but I
think gpart (search for it on the web) will guess the partition table
for you.
Perhaps this way you can retrieve your data again.
If you have the old partition table, try restoring that, and see what
data can still be found.

Have you tried fsck on the partition? Maybe that can be of some
assistance too

Next time, read the hints a tool like fdisk gives you, and follow them!
perhaps with dd you can retrieve data, but it will most certainly be a
lot of work.

BTW. you have a strange idea of back-up, removing the back-up before you
are 100% sure that the data is still OK, is not a very wise strategy.

Eric