From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: damn floppy!
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:28:21 +0100

eftech_1-=- wrote:

> i just use
> cd /mnt/floppy
> but also if i use kde it says it cannot read it

ehhh, but that's not mounting it!
I don't know if you have some automounter doing this for you.

Try `mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy`

What does it return?
Are you sure the floppy is good?

What is in your /etc/fstab

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen R. Savitzky)
Subject: Re: Which Desktop? Micron, Compaq, HP, Emachine
Date: 30 Oct 2000 06:20:12 -0800

Cory Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I spend $20 a month on an ISP anyway.  I believe MSN is $21.95.
> Wouldn't that be a savings to me?  Are there hidden charges?  As far as

Wouldn't _what_ be a savings?  MSN will cost you an extra $2/month, plus
the hassle of changing your current e-mail address, notifying all your
contacts, changing business cards if you have them, ...

Not to mention the fact that MSN (MicroSoft Network) is unlikely to have
any support for Linux, and indeed will probably go out of its way to
make life difficult for Linux users.

> I know what you mean about the video.  It made me suspicious because it
> said it was integrated.  Does that mean the video is in the
> motherboard?  It did say it was dedicated 11 megs though.

Integrated video almost invariably shares memory with the CPU.

> Thanks for the info.  I would like to build my own, but it's a mater of
> having enough money.  I think all I really would need is a motherboard,
> CPU, RAM, Video Card, Case w/ fans and power supply.  I'm not very
> knowledgeable on hardware so I don't know what RAM goes with what
> motherboard, etc.

No, all you need is MB, CPU, and RAM -- use the other components from
your old machine, unless it's an AT case and you want ATX.  In any
event, a case+power supply should only set you back another $50 or so.

Get your MB, CPU, and RAM from the same place; some dealers will even
assemble and test the combination for you.

--
 /   Steve Savitzky   \ 1997 Pegasus Award winner: best science song--+  \
/ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      http://theStarport.com/people/steve/   V   \

------------------------------

From: Leejay Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with added memory
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:03:23 -0500

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.hardware: 30-Oct-100 Problem with
added memory by per-ola.andersson@kiplin
> I just installed more memory into my computer, do
> I really have to recompile the kernel for the
> added memory to take effect?
>
> Previously I had 64M, and I put in another 64M,
> and added the 'ramdisk...' line in lilo.conf:

<sigh>

See Section 1.9 of the official Linux FAQ, titled "How Much
Memory Can Linux Use?".

http://www.linuxdoc.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ/

The 'ramdisk' line a has *completely* different meaning.

[snip]
--
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]        | the silly student          |
|--------------------------| he writes really bad haiku |

------------------------------

From: "Sander Cornelissen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CGA
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:33:51 +0100

Hello.

I have a CGA card with CGA monitor. Can I use it with linux. I know I can
use it. But not in the XWindows (or XFreee86). Is it possible to use it in
XFree 86 ?

Please if you know what I must do send it to : [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bye.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Oct 2000 9:38:59 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm throwing away my Diamond FireGL1 Card...
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Albert A;

>Adam Majer wrote:
>>
>> So when is DMM going to write some OpenGL drivers for Linux? At least
>> libraries that will work under kernels 2.2.12-14 (stable). I also would
>> like to ask (just in case you didn't read my previous reply), why wouldn't
>> DMM release all programming specs for their cards? Wouldn't that speed up
>> driver development? They could even co-ordinate it through their website!

>They could, they should, and if I had any say in it, they would. But, as
>I have already said previously, companies aren't democracies. I will
>continue to send up reports of inferior Linux support, and I hope
>they're going to do something with that, but that is all I can do from
>this end. From your end, keep sending in those bug reports. Bug them
>politely and often - a steady drop of water can hollow out a stone :)

I just gotta let out a chuckle on that one Albert.  I've played a bit of
the devils advocate here, and a bit of the 'dutch uncle' scene too.
Having been a pretty straightforward type most of my 66 years, I
occasionally like to 'preach' at the younger ones in an attempt to both
pass on the experiences of the years, and to mentor in the path of
rightiousness from time to time.  In those attempts, this being a linux
group has nothing to do with it.

I agree with you one some points so don't take it too personal.  This
has been, for us, an enlightening conversation, and one that I'd
certainly hope is not terminated by you or your superiors, IMO that
would be a loss for both sides of this 'argument'.

One thing that I may have missed here, is the address we should send
both flowers, there are occasionally some, (like I've got an 8 meg
Diamond SpeedStar A50 that works quite well for what I paid for it, but
it too was a problem child until I found that SuSe had a driver for it,)
and the brickbats wrapped in these bugreports to.

I'd expect a lot more of them would arrive if the address was more
freely available.  :-)

Heck, I'm not even convinced we have a democracy on this side of the
pond anymore, but thats just my view of the current political
backstabbing going on.  And its not each others backs they're sticking
the knives in nearly so much as into our citizens backs.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

Date: 30 Oct 2000 9:50:21 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Albert A;

>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>> From what I read between the lines, he may have tried that, and couldn't
>> get past the phone answering hacks to someone who might have 35 cents to
>> call someone who actually gives a damn.  I've had to 'lose my temper'
>> too many times just to get past such people and talk to someone who
>> actually has the power to do something.  The phone repair service is a
>> good example, you usually have to bump upwards about 2 supervisors worth
>> before you find someone whose IQ is more than the eyelet count in their
>> tennies, and 2 more to get to someone who actually knows what you're
>> talking about.  The poor phone ops usually don't even have a line in
>> their computer screens form for the problem you are having!

>Actually, in our company, most lowly tech support agents like me DO have
>a clue. And I hate nothing more to be called by people who automatically
>assume that I don't have a clue, that I am not intelligent enough for
>them to waste their time on, and that they want to speak with my
>supervisor. Hot damn, my IQ is higher than their bus speed, even if they
>love overclocking. Maybe my position becomes a bit clearer when I step
>across the line a little bit further and say that I do technical support
>for six wellknown companies in the computer business, in three
>languages. Most of my collegues there are students, like me, or
>university drop-outs, or otherwise intelligent and highly technically
>skilled people. Yes, there is the occasional programmed dummy, but they
>generally don't last very long, because everybody else will get tired of
>cleaning up their mess.

Amen!

Very well said Albert, and I hope I wasn't trying to give the impression
that I was putting you in with *that* crowd, my apologies if I did.
Each of your replies has been pretty well thought out, and obviously to
me, by someone with at least a 'star and a half' IQ to match.  I do
fairly well in that dept too.

Too bad the phone companies can't find (and pay for) more people like
that.  They put the 3 star people behind 6 secretaries, and thats a
waste of the 3 stars talent thats almost criminal.  But when I do get to
talk to one of them, its very educational.

Cheers, Gene

From: "biomed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 22:10:25 +0700

you need to add this line

append="mem=128M"

not ramdisk

news:8tjsfu$dl2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Thomas Eisenzopf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: FTP installation RedHat 6.2 with NE2000 compatible ISA card
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:42:06 GMT

When I try to install RedHat 6.2 with FTP installation on a PC with a NE2000
compatible ISA card I have the problem, that the card is not recognized. The
installtion disk seems to support only NE2000 PCI cards, not ISA. Is this
possible?

What possibilities do I have to install using the ISA card? Are there any
parameters for loading the network drivers which solve the problem?

Any help is appreciated!

Best regards,
Thomas.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: EMU APS and KDE2
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:37:21 -0600

  Hey, I just got the EMU APS from my brother (swapped for a SB Live
Platinum, don't ask, it was a favor) and assumed that since both were
10K1 chips, that it would work fine. Well, kernel 2.4.0-test9 recognizes
it just fine, but my new KDE2 build freezes halfway through. I know this
is the problem as I shutdown the same KDE2 and simply installed the new
card. I am sure that this falls under the no one else has tried this yet
category, but does anyone have anything interesting to add? I surfed
DEJA looking for any interesting tidbits, but other than joining the
10K1 developer list, there weren't any real informative posts. My next
two steps are to build KDE2 with debugging turned on, and to try the
latest drivers from opensource.creative.com. For the second, has anyone
had luck with the EMU APS and the Creative opensource stuff? It would
seem to me that the kernel would reflect the latest changes, but I don't
really know. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. If not but you
are interested in the solution, check out http://members.xoom.com/putzin
for status sometime in November. As I figure out how to fix this, I will
post the information under the linux section of that page.
--
remove nospam and replace with putzin to reply to me
Pete Buelow

------------------------------

From: "Falcon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Text console on serial port ???
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:22:45 +0100

Hi ,

    I'm traing to put a text console attached to serial port , I'm traing to
use lilo.conf parameters and kernel command line , but it don't work .

    Any suggestion

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: lsmod and Matrox
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:03:40 GMT

I have a Matrox G400 on my Abit BP6 (dual celeron) motherboard, and
recently installed Suse 7 on it.  Everything was working great, but I
wanted to get the G400 to use the DRI, which I read requires the 2.4
kernel (first time kernel upgrade for me).

Over the weekend, I downloaded and installed the 2.4.0test9 and finally
got it working (forgot to get the reiserfs patch for it).  AFAIK, the
NIC works, and X starts, but according to the XFree86 log, the DRI is
disabled since the mga.o module was not loaded.  I checked my kernel
config, and I have the mga g400 loaded as a module, but when I run
lsmod, it returns a blank, like no modules are loaded.

Do I need to upgrade the modutils?  I believe the version on the
machine is 2.3.11 (could be wrong though).  Or, do I need to compile my
own Matrox driver since it is a dual processor machine?

Thanks for any help!

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:10:44 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scsi aborting command due to timeout

Christoph Pohl wrote:

> "D. Stimits" wrote:
> > > first the symptoms, what I get with dmesg is about this:
> > >
> > > scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 32155, scsi0, channel 0, id
> > > 0, lun 0 Write (10) 00 00 2e b8 7c 00 00 08 00
> > >
> > > I know, there've been similar postings to this ng in the recent past,
> > > one of them suggesting to turn of apic in kernel with append="noapic" in
> > > /etc/lilo.conf. I tried this because I've got a i840 chipset and 2 PIIIs
> > > which can sometimes cause that kind of trouble. Unfortunately, this
> > > wasn't much help.
> >
> > Did you rerun lilo to actually install the line? You are virtually
> > guaranteed, that aside from bad cables or cable connection (or other
> > hardware failure), that this is the apic. You can verify noapic by cat
> > /proc/interrupts, and if cpu0 is the only cpu getting irq counts, noapic
> > is indeed set. If cpu1 has any irq counts, then you are not running with
> > noapic.
>
> I hope this answers the question about me having rerun lilo:
>
> $ more /proc/interrupts
>
>            CPU0       CPU1
>   0:   44042791          0          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:       1987          0          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>  10:     291651          0          XT-PIC  aic7xxx
>  11:    1403836          0          XT-PIC  eth0
>  12:      38822          0          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>  13:          1          0          XT-PIC  fpu
> NMI:          0
> ERR:          0
>
> Anyway, I keep on getting these scsi command aborts and occasionally
> some "stuck on TLB IPI wait" messages on both CPUs which I've never had
> before. Strange...
>
> Christoph

You can probably assume it isn't an APIC problem at least (since it is
turned off). There are probably a lot of other possible explanations,
and it won't be easy to find. Do you know your cables are good, and
sufficiently short? Have the cables been tested on some other scsi setup
and known to be good at your drive speed? Are all devices on the cable
lvd? Probably it will be checking a lot of little things (starting with
hardware) that finds the answer.

------------------------------

From: Dave Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Faster Linux on 486
Date: 30 Oct 2000 16:29:03 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware David N. Haney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am installing Linux on an old 486 (actually AMDs 486/Pentium 133).
> I have tried both Caldera and Red Hat.  The problem that I run into
> is that they seem VERY slow, not only in graphics mode but just in

        I am not impling that you are as stupid as me, however just
a little anecdote for you: A while back I put in some new memory and
a faster processor in my 486. After I put it all back together and
booted it, it was horribly slow.  I had been fooling with a bunch of
motherboard jumpers and I was scratching my head for a while on what
I had done wrong.  I ran a benchmark test and it showed my machine was
slower than a 386-25. Hmmm, then after some days it dawned on me: that
assinine feature called the "Turbo" switch.  I guess designers put
that feature on 486's so people felt like they had some control over
the system speed or something like that.  Anyways, that is one
remotely possible cause for your systems problems.  It seems to me
that your high end 486 system should be capable of running RedHat
at a reasonable speed out of the box.

--
Dave Clark
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linksys card, "detected: not configured"
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:30:11 -0000

If anyone could answer this, I'd be eternally grateful.
I'm running Slackware 7.0 and have a Linksys LNE100TX nic that I can't seem
to get working.

I know it's supposed to use the tulip driver, but I can't get that far.

dmesg yields the following message..

"Unknown Tulip-style PCI ethernet chip type 11ad c115 detected: not
configured."

I believe I've successfully disabled PnP in the BIOS (but maybe I'm
screwing that up too...). Bottom line is no setting in the BIOS setup makes
this message go away.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problems with SB Live!
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:08:00 -0600

Paul Kuliniewicz wrote:

> > Hi I have a SBLive!, so i recommend the Alsa player, work better and
> > sound quality, se at the url : www.alsa-project.org download the drivers
> > libs and utils , compile and install first the drivers, libs..... so, in
> the file
> > README and INSTALL it will explain you how to do, makes the steps
> > there described and WOW it works!
> >
> > PS.: The ALSA drivers are compatible with the OSS, that mean that the
> > programs compiled for OSS will work with these, one thing you must do,
> > enable sound in your kernel, and only enable soundcard compatible
> > OSS as module nothing more, dont select some cards only mark as mo
> > dule the compatible OSS.
> >
> > For more info or explanation, here I am
>
> You asked for it. <g>
>
> I downloaded the ALSA drivers and compiled them as per the instructions on
> the web site.  However, when I try to load the modules, I get this:
>
> [root@holly /sbin]# ./modprobe snd-card-sb16
> /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/snd-card-sb16.o: init_module: Device or
> resource busy
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/snd-card-sb16.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/snd-card-sb16.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/snd-card-sb16.o: insmod snd-card-sb16 failed
> [root@holly /sbin]# ./lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> ide-cd                 23628   0  (autoclean)
> 3c90x                  22224   1  (autoclean)
> nls_cp437               3876   4  (autoclean)
> vfat                    9404   2  (autoclean)
> fat                    30688   2  (autoclean) [vfat]
> usb-uhci               19052   0  (unused)
> usbcore                42088   1  [usb-uhci]
>
> It complains that init_module is busy, but I don't see what would be using
> it.  Is there a different (better or correct) way to load the ALSA driver
> module?
>
> (In case it matters, when make-ing the ALSA drivers, the makefile spit out a
> *lot* of warnings, although it finished with a success message.  Neither the
> lib nor utils makefiles did this.  Could this be a part of the problem?
> I've got Red Hat 7.0 and whatever version of gcc comes with it.)
I don't know if you have found the problem yet, but I can suggest a few
things. One, RH 7.0 comes with a new version of gcc by default. 2.96 I
believe is what they called it and it has a ton of problems. You may
consider installing 2.95.2 and removing the current gcc. Also, just as a
point of reference. Check the permissions on /dev/audio, /dev/mixer,
/dev/dsp. I think that these are the relevant devices, but if not,
someone point out those that I missed. Sometimes, this is the issue. And
finally, you may try a later kernel. I had the Live Platinum working
flawlessly under 2.4.0-test7 for quite some time. Good luck should you
still need it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux SMP Lock at boot with Epox KP6-BS
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:18:51 -0600

Dan Smith wrote:

> I never had this problem before I installed two i550MHz Coppermines in
> my Rev 2 KP6-BS board.  Now during bootup of the Linux kernel, it hangs
> at certain places, saying it's waiting on CPU#0.  It hangs during
> init'ing my NCR53c8xx card (among other things.)  If it doesn't lock
> during boot, the /proc/cpuinfo shows CPU#1 as 0Hz, no info.  If I take
> out the second RAM chip (SIEMENS PC100), it will work ok 99% of the
> time.  It only happens during boot.  If I make it thru kernel load with
> no probs, then I'm fine until the next boot.  Is it a card, RAM, CPU, or
> what?
>
> Linux Mandrake 7.1 Kernel 2.2.15
>
> Thanks!
  I know that there were problems with the 2.2.15 kernel. Try moving to
the latest 2.2.17 and see what happens. It seems to be rock stable in
almost any situation. I've been using it for a dual PPro for as long as
it has been availble. Also, you might want to check for the latest BIOS
update for your board. That may solve some problems too.

From: George Smiley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: How much hardware does a 100-user fileserver need?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:49:46 GMT

Hi,

I would appreciate any help deciding how much hardware to order
for a linux-based fileserver we want for our company.
We want to serve files for about 60-100 employees using NFS and
Samba. About 40 of these will be software developers possibly
running multiple compilations simultaneously. The following
is the configuration we are considering:

Pentium III 800 MHz
256 MB Ram.
Raid 5
Mycelex controller.

Would this be sufficient, or do we need a beefier box?

Thanks for any help. Please post replies to this newsgroup.

George.

--
George Smiley                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Aureal drivers for Linux?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:39:31 -0600

Daniel Lenski wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestions ... I tried them all but I still seem to have
> the same problem ... the drivers install fine, modules load fine, but I
> cannot hear anything ... very strange ... i'm wondering if maybe it's a
> problem with my PCI bus or something?  I've done 'cat /proc/pci' and I
> get:
>
>   Bus  0, device   8, function  0:
>     Multimedia audio controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 254).
>       Vendor id=12eb. Device id=2.
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.
>Latency=64.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=12.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xec000000 [0xec000000].
>       I/O at 0xc800 [0xc801].
>       I/O at 0xcc00 [0xcc01].
>
> Can anybody who has a an Aureal Vortex 2 tell me if this looks ok?  Is
> there a way to tell the au8830.o module specifically what are the I/O
> addresses or IRQ of the sound card?
>
> Thanks!

  This looks ok. It says "UnKnown vendor UnKnown device" because it is
not matching a name to the Vendor id and Device id (unique to each
device, present on every PCI device as an identifier) with the built in
tables. This isn't bad. The IO addresses should be fine (if they
weren't, the PCI bridge would never have recognized them), and the
memory address is at a high enough location to exist happily in PCI
space. Since it is PCI, the IRQ is fine. Some possible issues could be
the kernel version. 2.2.14 or 2.2.15 (can't remember which) had
problems, so upgrading can't hurt. Also, make sure that you have full rw
permissions on /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/mixer, and /dev/sound (I don't
know which ones are used, so this might be an overly complete list, or
incomplete, anyone know?). Finally, you may want to make sure that the
sound pieces of your window manager exist.
  Basically, it is possible that there is a card problem but not likely.
It is highly improbable for this to be a sympton of a bus problem, as
that would cause kernel issues well prior to trying to use your sound
card. My best advice is try a newer kernel if you can and the sound
drivers that are included with it. That will most likely solve the
problem. Good Luck