From: Subetai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to print to Okidata Okipage 6e ?
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 00:55:44 GMT

I own an okipage 6e also.  You have to change the driver from the
windows based driver to the pcl Hp4.  I dual boot, so I simply installed
the printer under win 98 then changed the driver to hp 4.
In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How to print to Okidata Okipage 6e ?
> I have RedHat Linux 7.0, and Okidata Okipage 6e printer.
> I went to the Okidata web site for support, and this is what I found.
> Product: OKIPAGE 6e
> This product is a Hyper-W and PCL (HP) compatible product. It was
> designed to work in all environments. The product is fully compatible
> with the HP IV printer language. An HP IV printer driver will function
> with this printer.
> So, from root account, I went to the Printer Configuration Control
> Panel.
> I clicked on the Add button.  I'm presented with the following
> Local Printer, Remote Unix (lpd) Queue, SMB/Windows 95/98/NT Printer,
> NetWare Printer (NCP), and Direct to port printer.  I've tried
choosing
> Local Printer, and it does an auto-detect, and says "/dev/lp0:
> Detected".  When I click OK, I get another window with the title "Edit
> Local Printer Entry".  The first field, Names, has lp.  The second
> field, Spool Directory, has /var/spool/ldp/lp.  The third field, File
> Limit, has 0.  The fourth field, Printer Device, has /dev/lp0.  The
> fifth field has the Select button, so I clicked on it, and I get
another
> window with a list of printers.  There are many HP printers listed.
> Which one should I choose?  I tried choosing "HP LaserJet", "HP
LaserJet

--
There is no royal road to science, and only those who do not dread the
fatiguing climb of its steep path have a chance of gaining its luminous

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: monitor size
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 01:10:23 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi -
>
> i have a 600x800 monitor but linux insists on running xwindows at
> 640x480. i think during the probe of my video card in xconfigurator it
> is setting everything to 640x480. i know at one time i had everything
> working OK, but since a reinstall i just can't get back to the right
> configuration. what should i do? can i somehow bypass the probing of the
> vid card? if i enter it manually, which fields should i change?
>
> thanks,

This is simple, I hope:

If you are running XFree86 v. 4.0.1 try running xf86config to set the
various parameters.

If you are still using version 3.x.x then you can use XF86Setup.

JRT

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ttyS3/COM4 port problem
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 01:14:30 GMT

Daniel Labrosse wrote:

> I have a problem detecting my modem. Its works on the COM 4 port in M$
> Windows. But when I try to use it with my Linux Mandrake 7.1 on port ttyS3
> it doesn't seem to be detecting it. Only ports ttyS0 and ttyS1 seem to be
> detected when I boot up. I'm pretty sure its a serial port problem and not a
> modem problem. I've used to "setserial" to probe the ports and it appears
> that the UARTs cannot be detected on ttyS2 and ttyS3. Does anyone know how I
> configure Linux to detect ttyS3/modem?
>
> Hope you can help,
>
> -Daniel

You didn't say what type of modem you have.  It it PCI?

If so, you can run (as root)"

lspci -v | less

to obtain the I/O address and interupt of the modem.  You need to use these
with "setserial"

JRT

------------------------------

From: opolot okia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dma will not work
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 01:13:27 GMT

I have used dma on my system before.. But since I installed RH 6.2 I get
the following error message. HDIO_SET_DMAFAILED: Invalid argument.

any suggestions?

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: driver hp1100?
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 01:27:39 GMT

gdm wrote:

> is there a linux driver for HP1100? HP1100 is a laser printer from
> hewlett-packard.
> gilles de montety

According to:

 http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=62816

it will work with the LaserJet 4 GhostScript device.

Try telling your print filter that you have a LaserJet 4

JRT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (p e a r c e)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: HELP: HelixGnome with Slackware 7.1
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 01:35:04 GMT

I have just recently tried Slack 7.1 having previously used Stormix.
I like Slack a ton, but miss HelixGnome.  Has anyone installed
HelixGnome into Slack 7.1 yet?  If so, how does one go about doing
that?

Thanks in advance!

p e a r c e

REPLY TO: pearce AT orangedelta DOT com

------------------------------

From: Arnold Schiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: aha152x sg scsi_mod agfa_snapscan 1236 xsane
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 02:40:12 +0100

   have somebody an explanation:
xsane can't connect to the scanner and i don't know why.
Messages are:
Nov  6 01:28:40 maxi kernel: (scsi0:2:0) no buffers left for 128(128)
bytes (data overrun!?)
Nov  6 01:28:40 maxi kernel: (scsi0:2:0) fifos should be empty and phase
should have changed
Nov  6 01:38:39 maxi kernel: (scsi0:2:0) manual transfer count differs
from automatic (count=3D0;stcnt=3D129;diff=3D129;fifostat=3D129)<3>(scsi0=
:2:0)
cannot abort running or disconnected command
Nov  6 01:38:39 maxi kernel: (scsi0:2:0) cannot reset current device
Nov  6 01:38:54 maxi kernel: (scsi0:2:0) cannot abort running or
disconnected command

I'll try scanning images with a agfa snapcan 1236S
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: AGFA     Model: SNAPSCAN 1236    Rev: 1.50
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02      =

 =

sginfo -l
 =

/dev/sga [scsi0 ch=3D0 id=3D2 lun=3D0]       =

 sginfo -p /dev/sga
 =

Data from Peripheral Device Page
================================
Interface Identifier               0x4147
                                   Reserved
Vendor Specific Data               0x2020          =

Data from Control Page
======================
RLEC                               1
QErr                               1
DQue                               1
EECA                               0
RAENP                              1
UUAENP                             1
EAENP                              0
Queue Algorithm Modifier           4
Ready AEN Holdoff Period           8224

 sginfo -D /dev/sga
 =

Data from Disconnect-Reconnect Page
===================================
Buffer full ratio                  65
Buffer empty ratio                 71
Bus Inactivity Limit               17985
Disconnect Time Limit              8224
Connect Time Limit                 8224
Maximum Burst Size                 21326
DTDC                               0x41
                                                  =

Data from Error Recovery Page
=============================
AWRE                               0
ARRE                               1
TB                                 0
RC                                 0
EER                                0
PER                                0
DTE                                0
DCR                                1
Read Retry Count                   71
Correction Span                    70
Head Offset Count                  65
Data Strobe Offset Count           32
Write Retry Count                  32
Recovery Time Limit                21326     =

sg_poll /dev/sga
scsi0, channel=3D0, device=3D2, lun=3D0,  scsi_type=3D6
pre-loop check, poll_res=3D1, revents=3D4
sg_poll: write2 (rd) error: Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht
verf=FCgbar     =

Thanks a lot

Arnold Schiller

------------------------------

From: "Paul Steckler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.act.tape
Subject: Where to place IDE tape drive?
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 19:45:23 -0600

I have two PC's connected via Ethernet,
a Win98 box and a RedHat 6.2 box.  I'd like
to back up both of them with an IDE tape drive.

Of course, I don't want to have to get two tape
drives.  Using Samba, I think I can mount the volumes
from one machine on the other, and backup both
machines with a single drive.

Samba will let me do the mounting in either direction.
I can Linux drives visible on the Win98 box, or
vice-versa (at least this is what I'm told).

So is there any reason to prefer having the tape drive
on one machine vs. the other?

A conjecture: The backup software for Windows may
be easier to use, hence it might be nicer to have the
drive there.   Also, installation on Windows may be
more straightforward.

Any help on this appreciated.

-- Paul

------------------------------

From: Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative Web Cam3 - USB
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 18:55:14 -0800

Anyone know how to make a Creative WebBlaster 3 (CT6840) work in Lunix.
It is a USB device.

Thanks,
Sean

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: CD burner mounts as read-only?
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 02:06:13 GMT

On 5 Nov 2000 01:11:23 GMT, Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sun, 05 Nov 2000 00:01:54 GMT, Mark Post wrote:
>>On Sat, 04 Nov 2000 23:08:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>>I have a scsi CD burner that mounts as "read-only."  When I mount it, I
>>>get the message:
>>>     "block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only"
>>>I'm a bit puzzled here because I have explicitly set my /etc/fstab to
>>
>>/dev/scd0 is the device entry for a CDROM.  By definition, those are
>>read-only, no matter how you try to mount them.  /dev/sr0 on the other hand,
>>is the definition for a CD-R.  In any event, cdrecord will be happier if you
>>pass it the host,target,lun address triplet obtained with cdrecord -scanbus.
>>My system at work uses dev=0,0,0.
>
>Nope.  /dev/sr0 and /dev/scd0 are both SCSI CD-ROM 0.  They have the
>same major and minor device numbers (or at least they should), and they
>both exist only for convenience as some other Unices have only /dev/srX
>by default.

Major and minor device numbers are set by convention: they're not
seriously kernel-hard-coded or anything, so it's possible to reset
them or use arbitary symbolic links or seriously muck with them
altogether.

However: CD's don't handle having file systems on them arbitrarily
updated.  Thus, the iso9660 file system popularly used for CD's is
almost always mounted read-only, and editing what goes into it is
done by creating a new ISO image with a tool like xcdroast or cdrecord.

>Under Linux, writing to a CD-R(W) is done through the SCSI generic
>interface, otherwise known as /dev/sgX.  I can use cdrecord with
>"dev=/dev/sg1" or "dev=0,1,0", and both work fine.

Bingo. I, myself, put in the local default values to /etc/cdrecord.conf
and use the IDESCSI drivers to use xcdroast on an IDE CD-RW drive.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Lenski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Mandrake install problems
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 21:25:09 +0500

Linux sometimes has a problem detecting how much memory your computer
has.  This causes it to try to access RAM that isn't there!  How much
memory do you have?

When you install 7.1, try pressing F1 at the first
screen and typing in 'linux ram=???M', where ??? is the number of
megabytes of RAM that you have.  This has worked for me many times.

--
Daniel Lenski
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense,
we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us."
   --Calvin and Hobbes

------------------------------

From: arif <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel webcam
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 02:35:24 GMT

Has anyone had luck getting an Intel webcam to work with Linux?
I've got one sitting here looking at me, an Intel Create & Share camera,
that I'd love to use, but can't seem to figure out how to make it go.

any help would be appreciated.

-arif

------------------------------

From: "Atanas Gueorguiev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where to place IDE tape drive?
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 22:14:14 -0500

smbmount could be problematic.  It used to hang my
computer so badly that I had to reboot and there was
no trace of what was causing it.  It took me weeks to
realize that is was smbmount.  I know of at least one
person that had similar problems.  This was some time
ago (~6 months) and the bug might have been fixed by
now.  It not, this would suggest that you go for a
Windows installation.

However, if you install it under Windows, you won't be
able to backup permissions, ownership, file attributes and
other ext2 specific information.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Ensoniq ES4815
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 03:21:36 GMT

Has anyone gotten the Creative Ensoniq ES4815 working? I believe it is
a later version of the 1371 model, but does not work with those
drivers.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

From: "Hisham Douba" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Linksys still won't work Please help
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 03:36:36 GMT

I'm having similar problems. The card is not recognized. Even when i boot
with ether=0,0,eth0, it's not visible.

"Hale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:Kx7H5.3249$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Linksys is supposed to be using tulip.o driver.
> However for the past few days I've been going mad trying to set it up.
I've
> compiled it on its own, then as part of the kernel, nada! As part of
kernel
> it brings it up yet is unable to get ip from dhcp server.
> I get " Transmit timed out, status fc67c057, CSR12 00000000,
resetting...."

> I'd like to know if anyone has actually got this card to work.
>

> "fimafeng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:6b7H5.12751$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > OK:
> >
> > I have RH 7.0, and 2 Linksys(4.1 version) 100 PCI cards. Neither is
> > recognized during boot up. (RH doesn't even see the cards to assign an
> eth0
> > or eth1)
> > I have went to scyld and done the following
> >
> > # Transfer the Scyld PCI Netdriver package
> > rpm -i netdriver-2.0-3.src.rpm
> > # Build the binary version for your kernel
> > cd /usr/src/{redhat,TurboLinux}/
> > rpm -bb SPECS/netdriver.spec
> > # Now install it your newly built package.
> > rpm -i --force RPMS/i386/netdriver-2.0-3.i386.rpm
> >
> > After completion i get the followning errors
> > [root@localhost redhat]# rpm -i --force
RPMS/i386/netdriver-2.0-3.i386.rpm
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/3c59x.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/eepro100.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/epic100.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/hamachi.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/natsemi.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/ne2k-pci.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/rtl8139.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/starfire.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/sundance.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/tulip.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/via-rhine.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/winbond-840.o
> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > /lib/modules/2.2.16-22enterprise/net/yellowfin.o
> >
> > And still I can't see either of my Linksys cards. I am running an ABIT
BP6