From: Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sandisk parallel SmartMedia
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 18:10:19 -0800

Tim Ryan wrote:

> Is there any support for the Sandisk parallel port
> SmartMedia readers under Linux? I've found some info
> about the USB versions, but I've got a parallel port
> model that I would like to use.

I heard (from somebody selling one) that the Sandisk USB Compact Flash
reader would work under linux, but that's the only info I have.  Parallel
would be very nice.

What camera did you choose?

Bev
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
He's your god.  They're your rules.  *You* burn in hell!

------------------------------

From: "Chris Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB Ethernet
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 19:17:07 -0700

I haven't used linux since 1999 because I had a win modem and it won't work
with linux.  I just recently got AT&T@HOME and it came with a USB ethernet
EZConnect adaptor from SMC, so I thought I would give linux another try.
Please if anyone has any clues as to how to get this thing working I would
be greatfull.  Otherwise it's back to MSWINDOWS for another 2 years

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Subject: Re: PIII vs Athlon
Date: 11 Nov 2000 17:40:44 -0500

>"Blaikie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> a hardcoded unstruction is (in most cases) faster than creating teh
>> same function from a series of other instructions.
>
>Therein lies the crux of the controversy over the value of the RISC
>approach to CPU design.
>
>The "CISC axiom" is that creating hardcoded instructions is faster;
>the "RISC axiom" is that the silicon might be more effectively used to
>do things like add additional registers that may enhance the
>performance of all sorts of instructions.
>
>You may indeed be correct about the one instruction becoming faster,
>but if the creation of such additional instructions eats up a whole
>lot of silicon, it might have been more worthwhile overall to spend
>the silicon on other things.

Patterson's study that led him to design the berkeley risc machine
showed that the vax was full of examples where replacing one hardware
instruction by a sequence of simpler instructions led to faster code.
i remember similar examples from at least one other machine

hs

------------------------------

From: miked <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI - TV WONDER
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:31:06 GMT

==============94A702F856E037375145223E

ive been looking for ati tv wonder drivers for ever does anyone know where
i can find them? im desperate

thanks
miked

==============94A702F856E037375145223E

&nbsp;
<pre>

ive been looking for ati tv wonder drivers for ever does anyone know where
i can find them? im desperate</pre>
thanks

From: "Jack Kaufmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB printer and RedHat 7.0
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:02:44 GMT

I just installed Red Hat 7.0.  When I tried to install my USB printer,
Autodetection didn't find it, and left this message:
"If you have a USB printer but it was not detected, make sure that the USB
printer module has been inserted and is working."
What is the USB printer module, and how do I insert it and/or make sure it
is working?

------------------------------

From: "Peter Stawski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with "LI" prompt
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:25:42 GMT

Hi all,
    As a first time user to Red Hat 7, I have a question for you.  I
recently installed Red Hat 7.0 as a custom install with Everything Included
(all packages...1.7Gb).  The installation went fine, with no problems at all
(fourth time lucky).  I made a boot disk, and when I restarted the machine,
only the LI prompt was shown!  I can't tell you how much this @$%@# me off.
It sits at this prompt.  If I use the boot disk, I can get into the system
without a problem.  Therefore, I should be able to copy over the kernal and
perhaps boot.b file to the /boot partition (?).  Is this a reasonable fix?
The lilo.conf file seems ok and references both boot.b and the kernal.

If so, what are the commands to acheive this once I am logged in?  Should I
make a backup copy of the kernel and any files first?  As I side note, the
<shutdown -h now> command does not work.  It says the command cannot be
found.  Do I have to be superuser to do this?  Currently, the only way I
shutdown is by going to Gnome and then logging off with a halt, then turning
the power off.  I don't have to be su to do this.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Adam.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: USB Ethernet
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:24:13 GMT

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 19:17:07 -0700, Chris Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I haven't used linux since 1999 because I had a win modem and it won't
>work with linux.  I just recently got AT&T@HOME and it came with a USB
>ethernet EZConnect adaptor from SMC, so I thought I would give linux
>another try. Please if anyone has any clues as to how to get this thing
>working I would be greatfull.  Otherwise it's back to MSWINDOWS for
>another 2 years

Spend $10-15 on a real ethernet NIC would be my advice.

--
Hal B

From: "Keith Leite" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SBlive and RH 6.1 help install ???
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:52:45 GMT

    Hi folks ...

    Thanks for reading my post, I recently configured my new DELL system
with a second hard drive to run
    Red Hat 6.1 .... currently I have a SBlive soundcard but the OS does not
support it .... I upgraded the kernel
    to 2.2.16-3 which I thought would be a good idea too do anyways ....

    But is there any info on this .... I ran throughsome of the how-to's but
really did not notice anything pertaining to
    SBlive drivers and install .....

    Any help would be greatly appreciated ....

    ThanX

    Keith

From: V-man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.graphics.packages.3dstudio
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 01:14:29 -0500

and for the curious mind:
http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/cpuwar.html
http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/cpujihad.shtml

very very long, but a great read!

V-man

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: USB printer and RedHat 7.0
Date: 12 Nov 2000 07:04:34 GMT

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:02:44 GMT, Jack Kaufmann wrote:
>I just installed Red Hat 7.0.  When I tried to install my USB printer,
>Autodetection didn't find it, and left this message:
>"If you have a USB printer but it was not detected, make sure that the USB
>printer module has been inserted and is working."
>What is the USB printer module, and how do I insert it and/or make sure it
>is working?

modprobe usb-uhci   (could be usb-ohci; depends on your machine!)
modprobe usb-core
modprobe printer    (this is the usb-printer module.  the regular
                     printer module is "lp".)

There should be a device called /dev/usblp0 .  If it doesn't exist, do a
"mknod -m 660 /dev/usblp0 c 180 0".  When setting up your USB printer
via printtool or whatever, point the printer filter at /dev/usblp0
instead of /dev/lp0 .  You may want to put those modprobe commands into
/etc/rc.d/rc.local as loading USB modules on demand doesn't work
sometimes.  HTH, good luck....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 12 Nov 2000 02:25:18 -0500

"Chris Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I haven't used linux since 1999 because I had a win modem and it won't work
> with linux.  I just recently got AT&T@HOME and it came with a USB ethernet
> EZConnect adaptor from SMC, so I thought I would give linux another try.
> Please if anyone has any clues as to how to get this thing working I would
> be greatfull.  Otherwise it's back to MSWINDOWS for another 2 years

As others have said... spend the $20 on a real ethernet card.

The bandwidth of USB makes 10Mb/s unlikely if you have any other
devices, and 100Mb/s impossible.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In one gloss of the cut interstellarly I must immovable protect the
universe.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: ATI - TV WONDER
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 12 Nov 2000 02:26:12 -0500

miked <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> ive been looking for ati tv wonder drivers for ever does anyone know where
> i can find them? im desperate

Use the "bttv" kernel driver.  The TV Wonder uses the bt848 chipset, I
think.

I never got the card to work properly (wouldn't change channels, no
sound) under Linux, but maybe you'll have better luck.

--

Subject: Re: help with "LI" prompt
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 12 Nov 2000 02:28:10 -0500

"Peter Stawski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I made a boot disk, and when I restarted the machine, only the LI
> prompt was shown!  I can't tell you how much this @$%@# me off.  It
> sits at this prompt.

Look at /usr/doc/HOWTO/LILO-HOWTO.gz (or something like that).

> As I side note, the <shutdown -h now> command does not work.  It
> says the command cannot be found.  Do I have to be superuser to do
> this?

Yes.

From: "netfuge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 01:50:48 -0700

Hey guys,
I'm still suffering over my crappy onboard sound. When I go and check out
the sndstat file in emacs, this is what I get:

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971180
Load Type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernell: Linus localhost@localdomain 2.2.15-4mdk i686

Config Options: 0

Installed drivers: 0

Card Config: 0

Audio Devices
0: Sound Blaster Pro (8 bit only) (3.02)

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: system clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

When I go to tail/var/log/messages
it basically says that I may not have the correct driver or the kernel may
no be configured correctly.
Could you guys give me any idea how to go about this?
I'm not afraid of experimenting a little with the kernel. I just have no
idea how to do it. I'm buying and reading mag's and books like there's no
tomorrow, but all of this literature assume that I'm more geeky that I
really am. (in fact, I'm just using linux since three weeks ago and in the
little time I have left from working as help support -hehe how ironic -
(blah, for windows). Please, friends, help me.

Specs:
I have an Epox motherboard (EP-8KTA Via KT133 AGPset) which
combines integrated AC-97 audio support for SoundBlaster Pro and FM
synthesis legacy audio. I have a dual boot system -win98 2nd ed./linux. AMD
Duron 700mhz, 256 mb RAM
Sound card is ONBOARD.

------------------------------

From: Michael Scholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: mount/umount LS-120 floppydrive?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:03:04 +0100

from?
is
but
it

mount
that
seen
floppy"
CD-ROM,
Then
security
active):
Oct_19 /usr/lib/autofs/automountd -D NET=fe1 -D OS=sosp7_64
+2 | /usr/bin/sort
or /usr/ucb
of ps you
of
a system
&nbsp;</html>

------------------------------

From: "Mark Langsdorf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: headless and both serial ports used
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:34:12 -0600

"Jay Rogers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I'm setting-up an embedded processor that has modems on both
> serial ports.  When the system boots, console messages are sent
> out ttyS0 causing the modem to become unresponsive.
>
> How do I direct console message somewhere that won't affect the
> serial ports?  I tried adding "console=tty9,9600" as an append to
> lilo.conf.  The kernel still uses ttyS0.  Perhaps it needs a real
> serial device but both are being used.

    Why don't you just recompile kernel with the Serial Console
option turned off?  That should probably do the job.

-Mark Langsdorf

------------------------------

From: "Anavel Gato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking  for Sound and Modem dirver on HP Pavillion 8521
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:01:27 +1100

I own a HP Pavilion PC (PIII 550, Asia pacific model).
For my sound and modem card,it is a Rockwell HCF 56k Modem and Riptide Audio
Combo Card.

Does anyone know where to get the driver for this card for linux.

I've looked all over the web but did not succeded...

Is there a general driver (or two drivers) or a substitue that work ?

Please suggest..
thanks in advance

I also own a D-link DSN-32TX ethernet card, I  bought this card two years
ago.
Does anyone know where I can get a driver for RH 7.0

------------------------------

From: "Anavel Gato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: newbie 98 Nt redhat 7.0 Triple BOOT, (C.H Hochsta) error
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:07:40 +1100

I installed win 98 (fat16), and NT 4.0 in NTFS file system
and when I install Red Hat 7.0. I custom installed LILO into first sector,
instead of the MBR.

Then I use bootpart to add entry to the ntboot loader.. (bootpart to my
native partition where I installed LILO to)...

The red hat entry is on the nt boot loader menu, but when I boot into linux
, it say that linux can't boot from hard disk, and mention the C.H Hochstra
(sorry if I spell it wrong) thing...

then it ask for system (floppy) disk which I can boot into linux ..

Does anyone know what's going wrong ? How do I fix it.. is it because I
bootpart into the wrong partition...

thanks very very much..

------------------------------

From: SirPsychoSexy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,;,comp.os.linux.setup,;,;,it.comp.os.linux.sys
Subject: Re: Linux and Change of server (cambio del server)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:48:11 +0100

Ezio PAGLIA wrote:

> Versione per il newsgroup italiano:
>
> Cari amministratori linux,
>
> grazie anche al vostro aiuto, abbiamo imparato i meccanismi di
> ripartenza, ricostruendoci una rescue diskette con il kernel,
> applicando i moduli opportuni etc.
>
> Pero' ora mi chiedo che cosa fare se in caso di crash bisogna cambiare
> macchina oppure in ogni caso vorremmo cambiare disco con quello di
> un'altra tecnologia. Supponete che abbiamo toccato fortemente ed in
> maniera a volte difficile elementi del sistema e che quindi quello che
> e' nel salvataggio completo ci interessa fortemente. Non e' cioe'
> fattibile rifare da capo gli ambienti di dns, sendmail, procmail,
> webserver, news server, squid, ftp etc.
>
> Cosa occorre fare per trasportare il sistema su un nuovo disco ?
>
> Ezio.

Usare un RAID2 almeno anche se su ide.....se devi mettere in piedi un
server commerciale non puoi non pensarci.
Per il resto ho spostato un hd da una macchina rotta a una sana e rimesso
in piedi tutto in circa un ora (con una certa comoditą e qualche errore).
I kernel "supportotutto_e_di_pił" di default di RH sono molto comodi per
queste cose...

  Giulio