From: "Jon Tilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: USRobotics PCI 56K Modem (5610-rev1) with COM5 in Windows
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:33:25 GMT

Forgive me for jumping on this thread but I have a similar problem with a
Hayes ISA bus modem which is on /dev/ttyS2 or COM3....It too takes ages to
respond to commands and pppd/chat times out before the ISP connection
finishes. Took me a while to realise what was happening til I tried cat <
/dev/ttyS2 in one term and cat > /devttyS2 in another...the out window takes
ages to reflect what goes in the in one!
I'm running mandrake with kernel 2.2.15. Is this a known problem with bus
modems we have here?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 14 Nov 2000 22:06:37 GMT

In <pkhQ5.6385$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Jon Tilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

]Forgive me for jumping on this thread but I have a similar problem with a
]Hayes ISA bus modem which is on /dev/ttyS2 or COM3....It too takes ages to
]respond to commands and pppd/chat times out before the ISP connection
]finishes. Took me a while to realise what was happening til I tried cat <
]/dev/ttyS2 in one term and cat > /devttyS2 in another...the out window takes
]ages to reflect what goes in the in one!
]I'm running mandrake with kernel 2.2.15. Is this a known problem with bus
]modems we have here?

Sounds like the modem is either sharing an interrupt or you have not
told Linux which interrupt your modem is actually using ( setserial)

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Fdisk error: no partition table
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 14 Nov 2000 17:47:44 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti) writes:

> In REdhat 6.1, I get the following error:

>       An error occured reading the partition table for the block
>       device hda.  The error was:  No such file or directory

Normally, I'd say that this is just a freak error about /dev/hda not
being present, but based on the fact that you can't get your drive to
work under Windows either, I suspect it means that Linux just isn't
detecting a device attached to /dev/hda.

> Can this be fixed?  Does this mean that the drive is no good?

Does the BIOS recognize the drive?  I'm guessing not, but I figured
I'd ask.

Is the drive properly set as either a master or slave?  Your old drive
used to be the master, so unless you changed that it still is.  That
means two drives on the same channel are claiming to be the master.

Are you using cable select?  Some (many) configurations don't work
with cable-select.

Are you sure you have the cable in the right way?  The red side (pin
one) almost always faces the power cord for the drive.

Can you hear the drive powering up?  Those power cords are a pain in
the ass to get in sometimes; might just not be in the whole way.

Got the drive parameters set up right in the BIOS?  Autodetect usually
works, but not always: the CHS counts should be printed on the label
of the drive, and you can enter them yourself.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In one gloss of the cut interstellarly I must immovable protect the
universe.

------------------------------

From: Vijo Cherian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Realtek 8139 and 2.2.16
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:01:16 -0800

1. i am not able to get rtl8139 working on a 2.2.16 kernel.
   it gives the "resource currently unavailable".

   what can be wrong?

2. XFree86 is not working on 2.4 with i810.  it works with 2.2.16 and
2.2.14

thanx,
vijo.

------------------------------

From: "clix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ethernet card Problem - geforce Mx
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:03:17 -0800

    I have RH 7 installed on a PIII 700 with an Intel motherboard D815EEA
whitch has an ethernet card and sound card on board.
    I can't configure my ethernet card witch is at irq 11 with the graphical
board and usb controler. I have chosen the eepro driver but i'm not sure if
it's the right one. Somehow (with some program) i aded a line to
/etc/conf.modules  "option irq 11 io df00" (not exact sentence).
    When i do cat /proc/pci the card appears with the right irq  and io, but
when i view the irq setup(/proc/interrupts) the irq 11 belongs to the
usb-uhi. When i take a look at /var/log/messages it says that parm_io is
invalid and that insmod failed.

Thanks in advanced.
Ricardo Pires

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Ryan)
Subject: Re: Sandisk parallel SmartMedia
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:15:51 GMT

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 18:10:19 -0800, Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tim Ryan wrote:
>>
>> Is there any support for the Sandisk parallel port
>> SmartMedia readers under Linux? I've found some info
>> about the USB versions, but I've got a parallel port
>> model that I would like to use.
>
>I heard (from somebody selling one) that the Sandisk USB Compact Flash
>reader would work under linux, but that's the only info I have.  Parallel
>would be very nice.
>
>What camera did you choose?
>
>--
>Cheers,
>Bev
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>He's your god.  They're your rules.  *You* burn in hell!

My daughter has a Agfa 780c and the Sandisk parallel port
SmartMedia reader. I run Windows2000 in VMware and the
reader works perfectly, but I'd like to use in in Linux
directly.

--
Tim Ryan
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Gutknecht \(VW\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Realtek 8139 and 2.2.16
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:25:44 -0800

Vijo,

Sounds like you and I are on similar hardware.  I'm on Intel 815 + Realtek
8139.  I'm still trying to get 2.4.0 to work on my system.  I've put
together a web page to detail what I've tried so far:

  http://www.roundsparrow.com/Linux/240oni815/

Please share what you know!  I'm new at kernel work.

  Stephen

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Moe Koenig)
Subject: Re: help with "LI" prompt
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:28:36 GMT

On 13 Nov 2000 13:41:00 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>No using any sector but the MBR: remember that most LILO errors occur
>when it can't find the rest of itself.

Which sucks.
Don't you hate it when you wake up in the morning and can't find the
rest of yourself?   Then you know how a f*cked up LILO feels.

SCNR ;)

mfg m.k.
--
PGP: 78F1 B792 07F2 4070 D40D F147 43E5 2717 B98A CD1C

------------------------------

From: "Mike Schwartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: trouble getting 3COM 3C900B-TPO ethernet card working with Linux
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:29:20 -0000

Hi,

I am having trouble getting Linux to work with my 3COM 3C900B-TPO network
interface card.  FYI this is the card that US West sends you when you sign
up for their DSL service.  This card definitely works, as I have been using
it under Win95 for a year now.  I am trying to build a dual-boot
Win95/Linux
config for my desktop PC.

I have tried getting two different Linux distributions to work with this
network card:
    - RedHat 4.2
    - WinLinux 2000

FYI, the latter is a Linux distribution that uses the Win9x file system
instead of the usual Ext2 file system, allowing me to avoid partitioning
and also letting me backup my dual-boot Windows/Linux system as a single
backup.  It works fine with the PCMCIA ethernet card on my laptop.
Contrary to how the name sounds, this really is Linux (not a
Windows-based emulator); it just shares the Windows file system.

I am mostly focused on using WinLinux with this machine, so I'll just
talk about it from here on.  Its kernel version is 2.2.13.

I first tried using the ethernet driver that came compiled into the
kernel (3c59x).  When this didn't work I went to the 3COM website and
downloaded the 3c90x driver (version 1.0.0d), which claims to support
the 3C900B-TPO card.  I followed the instructions it gave, and when I
wasn't able to get it to work I tried sending mail to the support
address they listed ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), but it bounced.

I tried installing first as a module:
    - compiled the driver
    - copied the .o file into /lib/modules/2.2.13/net/
    - added the the needed alias in /etc/modules.conf
    - edited the WinLinux /etc/rc.d/ init script that loads the needed
      module

After rebooting, 'lsmod' showed that the module was loaded but "unused".
Moreover, when I tried "ifconfig eth0" it did not have an IP address
assigned, and when I tried to assign one and "up" the interface, it
complained "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device".  I looked in
/var/log/messages and saw the error message "ds: no socket drivers
loaded!", followed by a number of DHCP failures.  It sounds like the
driver failed to recognize my card.

I then tried rebuilding the kernel with this driver compiled-in.  It
compiled and booted ok, but it again didn't work -- same error message
about "ds: no socket drivers loaded!".

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Please email to me below, as I don't read netnews regularly.

Thanks,
 - Mike Schwartz
   schwartz-at-CodeOnTheRoad.com
   (Remember to fix the -at- above, which I use to fight automated spam
   feeders)

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Votex2 driver code?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:36:53 GMT

 http://sourceforge.net/projects/aureal

--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need to run fsck on the / partition and need help
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:54:03 GMT

"Brian E. Parker" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> At my previous job, I had a Redhat 6.2 box set up that handled a small
> amount of mail, ran a few majordomo lists, and did some web serving.  This
> weekend, the people there unpluged the box on accident and it won't boot
> normally because of some errors on /dev/hda8, which just happens to be the /
> partition.
>
> From what they are tlling me over the phone, this is what is happening.
> They turn the machine on, and it gets to LILO: then tries to boot the
> kernal.  It runs the pre-check on /dev/hda8 ( I had him look at the
> /etc/fstab to find out what partition that is, and it's the root / ) and has
> a problem.  From what he says, it takes him to a point where he can type in
> the root password and get to a command-line ( a "pwd" showed /root ) and
> tells him he can run fsck manually or hit ^D to kill the shell.  I get him
> to the command-line with the root password and we tried running fsck with
> different parameters, but it doesn't seem to fix it because after a reboot,
> it takes him right back to the password prompt after giving the same error
> messages when trying to do the initial fsck on /dev/hda8.
>
> What options should I run on fsck to get it to fix the root partition?  If
> this isn't the correct way to approach this problem, what is?
>
> None of the data on this machine is real critical, but it would be nice for
> them to get it back up and running the way it was, because noone there has
> the know-how to reinstall and get majordomo running.
>
> Any help is appreciated.  I'm not on-site where the machine is, so if it
> takes a couple days to get back to any questions you may have, it's because
> I have to call them and talk them through anything you guys suggest.
>
> TIA,
> -BEP

 You need to run fsck with NO parameters. Answer yes to all
questions reguarding the fixing of inodes and such. Running
fsck with no parameters puts it in interactive mode.
Here is a small snippet from the fsck man page.

NAME
       fsck - check and repair a Linux file system

SYNOPSIS
       fsck [ -sACVRTNP ] [ -t fstype ] [--] [ fsck-options ] filesys [ ... ]

DESCRIPTION
       fsck  is  used to check and optionally repair a one or more Linux file
systems.  filesys can
       be a device name (e.g.  /dev/hdc1, /dev/sdb2), a mount point (e.g.  /, /usr,
/home),  or  an
       ext2   label   or   UUID   specifier   (e.g.
UUID=8868abf6-88c5-4a83-98b8-bfc24057f7bd  or
       LABEL=root).  The fsck program will try to run filesystems on different
physical disk drives
       in parallel to reduce total amount time to check all of the filesystems.

So run fsck like this

fsck -r /

will interactivly check the root partition.

From: "Roopinder Randhawa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help I donot see any RedHat support for HP Color LaserJet 4500. The
printing HOW-TO says that it is supported
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:04:44 GMT

Ok I'll try it. Also is color printing supportted in Linux. I mean using
something like Corel Draw.
Also mention should I reply to you in mail or in e-mail.

------------------------------

From: Ramakanth Munipalli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: zero cache size, low bogomips!
Date: 15 Nov 2000 01:05:07 GMT

many thanks for the various responses.
my primary concern with the bogus bogomips
was that it together with the zero cache could be
conspiring and reducing the speed of my cluster of
P-IIIs running various codes using MPI.
the cluster earlier comprised only of pIIs, which
were working fine. the pIIIs slowed the whole thing down.
however, this seems to be a transient thing, and they
are fine now!

thanks again. the zero cache in cpuinfo still remains,
but is not causing damage!
--
Ramakanth Munipalli
Member Technical Staff, HyPerComp Inc.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 14 Nov 2000 20:28:01 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Moe Koenig) writes:

> SCNR ;)

"Subliminal content naturally resisted?"  I didn't put any subliminal
content in my article, sorry.  You must be thinking of something else.

--

Subject: Re: memory + multiprocessors
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:31:01 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hello,
> We want to buy a new LINUX/PC For numeric simulation, and I'd like
> several precisions about multiprocessors (particularily XEON):

i take as evidence by your interest in xeon that you are willing to
pay a large amount of money.  you might want to consider the
dec/compaq alpha processor since it beats anything by intel silly in
floating point.  the only reason to with intel (or amd) is price.

> 1) If I have a computer with two processors and 4 Go RAM, what
> amount of memory can be affected to a process?

the dec alpha being a 64 bit cpu can probably do more than the ia32.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "lobotomy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which 100Mbps NIC ?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:49:06 GMT

The 2114x is actually still being produced, only by Intel.  I think they
acquired it along with the rest of DECChip business as part of the Alpha
settlement (along with the StrongARM).  See here:
http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/lan/controllers/21143.htm.
Not only hasn't it been discontinued, they are using it as the basis for
their Phone-Line card, the 21145. I got a couple cheapo AOpen cards
(ALN-315 I think) with 'Intel' DC21143 chips for under $10 each, they have
been solid, especially considering the price.

--
PC Chips actually goes by many names. PCChips = Ability = Alton = Amptron =
Aristo = Asia Gate = Asiatech = Assa = Atrend = Elpina = Eurone = Fugu =

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: zip drive - large file problem
Date: 15 Nov 2000 01:53:13 GMT

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:02:12 GMT, dv wrote:
>Having a problem with zip drive and a large file of about 44 MB. Using
>redhat 5.1, linux 2.0.35 (gcc version 2.7.2.3). formatted zip disk for
>native linux.
>When initially saving the file to the zip disk, the only way I could get it
>to copy (cp -ar) without error was to copy it alone without any other files.
>then about 80% of the time it would copy without error messages. if i tried
[snip]

All kernels up to and including 2.2.5 had problems with ZIP drives.
I've had similar problems, though not for long as I upgraded the kernel
to 2.2.10 for other reasons within 2 weeks of my initial install.
Upgrade, and the problems will go away.  If for some reason you *must*
continue using the 2.0 series, get the latest version.  I believe
they're up to 2.0.38 now, and a lot of fixes have been backported in.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!