Linux-Hardware Digest #900, Volume #13           Thu, 16 Nov 00 10:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Troubles with IBM Netfinity 5600 ("Michal Pakula")
  Help:installing RH6.2 on DPT SmartRAID V ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  nec 1810X lcd display & linux/X (Marcus Gastreich)
  UPS for two machines ("Niclas Domack")
  Re: Old School (John Hasler)
  programming of stereo video signal under linux (=?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg?= Thiem)
  Re: USRobotics PCI 56K Modem (5610-rev1) with COM5 in Windows (M. Buchenrieder)
  monitor problem (arse)
  Re: Lilo and moving an IDE disk ("Phil Whiles")
  Linmodems (arse)
  DAC960 ("Niels")
  Looking for a modem card ("avenegas")
  Re: Corel Linux bombs... ("Default User")
  Re: Looking for a modem card ("Felix Tilley")
  Re: SuSE 7.0 + A7V + GeForce2 MX + X (Klaus Rabbertz)
  Re: presario HCF miniPCI modem or the miniPCI ethernet NIC? ("Eric")
  Re: Looking for a modem card (Anders Lund)
  SoundBlaster 128 PCI - supported? (Michal Szymanski)
  HDD setup - UDMA or PIO? (Michal Szymanski)
  Re: SoundBlaster 128 PCI - supported? (Dirk Traenapp)
  Re: presario HCF miniPCI modem or the miniPCI ethernet NIC? ("Eric")
  Re: SCA -> 68Pins or 50Pins (The Old Bear)

From: "Michal Pakula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Troubles with IBM Netfinity 5600
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:14:51 +0100

Hi,
Do you have any experience with installing Linux (RedHat) with SMP support
on Netfinity 5600? I have lots of strange problems with this (non-SMP kernel
seems to work fine) and need some help.
Regards,

    Michal

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Help:installing RH6.2 on DPT SmartRAID V
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:34:26 GMT

I am trying to install RH6.2 on the hardware below and keep getting 'no
valid media' to install on.
I have down loaded the documentation I could find, "Linux DPT SmartRAID
V HOWTO" &
dpt_i2o module.  I followed the instructions step by step and still get
the no media error.

Hardware;
ASUS P2B-D Award 1012B
dual P3 600 w/ 512 MB ram
PM3754U2 w/ DPT RAID Setup Utility V1.11/1E1 12/9/99
35g RAID5 (lun/volume) across 3 18g Seagate cheetahs

I got the card secondhand, so no manuals.  I reset everything I could to
defaults.
Do I have to change settings in the raid card?

The bios lists the card as unknown pci device, IRQ 10.

RH7.0 pukes and dies as well.

------------------------------

From: Marcus Gastreich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: nec 1810X lcd display & linux/X
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:38:47 +0100

hello,

we have just buyed an
nec multicync 1810X lcd display.
does anyone know if we
can run linux on it.

the suse hardware database
lists it but its 'status'
there is 'no information'.
seems to be too new...

thanks very much for your
help.
        regards,
                marcus

Marcus Gastreich                    Tel.: ++49-228-73-5375
Lehrstuhl f.Theor.Chemie Uni Bonn   Fax.: ++49-228-73-9066
Wegelerstr. 12                      e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
53115 Bonn, Germany
http://www.thch.uni-bonn.de/tc/people/gastreich.marcus

------------------------------

From: "Niclas Domack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: UPS for two machines
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:48:12 +0100

Hi!

I'm about to purchase a UPS for two redhat 6.x linux servers, and it looks
like APC could be a good choice. `My problem is this; I'd like to by just
one UPS, and connect both servers on it. But I still want both servers to
notice if there's a loss of power and react accordingly (wait for like
20mins, then shut down nice and slowly)

Does anyone know if that's a possible setup with the software included, or
if one needs to hack something to get it working?

Regards,

Niclas

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Old School
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:18:21 GMT

Fireman writes:
> Also, what would be a good distribution?

Give Debian a try.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg?= Thiem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.graphics.api.opengl,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware,comp.graphics.algorithms,comp.graphics.visualization,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Subject: programming of stereo video signal under linux
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:03:37 +0100

==============76B1CB173C56E2B97D1723AE

I have a lot of questions dealing with stereo, hardware, programming.
But I hope, in these groups I can get the proper solutions.

1) Do someone knows which graphic-cards (nvidia, asus, matrox,...) is
best supported under linux for 3d-stereo-programming?
I don't mean the programming of 3D-objects, but generating a
3d-vga-signal for feeding a HMD.
Actually, I want to feed the card with two different video-streams
(perhaps from a frame grabber) and code the card to produce a
3d-vga-signal for the use in a HMD (head mounted display), not in a
shutter-glass. The question here is, which graphic-card designed for
stereo (e.g. with stereo opengl) is the right choice for linux?

2) Probably I am not able to do that at real-time, cause the
video-streams have to get from the grabber to the graphic-card?
Or is there a way without using the PCI-bus, perhaps with an extra
connection? This of importance, cause the PC should do other jobs as
well, not only producing the 3d-vga-signal out of the video-data. If
this is not possible in real-time without blocking the whole PC, we
think of mixing the computer-vga-signal with the video-signal(s) into an
3d-mixed-signal for the HMD with a special extra-hardware outside of the
PC. Do someone know such hardware?

3) What's the best solution? Ones grabber and one graphic-card? Perhaps
two grabbers and two graphic-cards? Is the last configuration possible
at all? I don't know.

4) (not for this groups?)
Further question. I haven't found yet a Stereo-Programmers-Guide
(perhaps especially for linux) in the net. Any hints?

Thanks in advance a lot,

Joerg

==============76B1CB173C56E2B97D1723AE

begin:vcard
n:Thiem;Jörg
tel;fax:++49 5251 60 3238
tel;work:++49 5251 60 2216
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://getwww.upb.de/~thiem
org:Universität Paderborn;FB 14 - Grundlagen der Elektrotechnik
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Dipl.-Ing.
adr;quoted-printable:;;Pohlweg 47-49=0D=0A;33098 Paderborn;Germany;;
note;quoted-printable:HEINZ NIXDORF INSTITUT=0D=0A- Graduiertenkolleg=0D=0A=0D=0A=0D=0A
x-mozilla-cpt:;24440
fn:Jörg Thiem
end:vcard

==============76B1CB173C56E2B97D1723AE==

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: USRobotics PCI 56K Modem (5610-rev1) with COM5 in Windows
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:52:15 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
>> Behalf Of James Richard Tyrer

[...]

>> > /dev/ttyS4, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xb000, IRQ: 2, Flags: spd_vhi

>Why did it set it to IRQ 2 instead of IRQ 9 like I specified?

They are identical. This is a cascaded interrupt due to the relics
of PC architecture...

[...]

>> >         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 0
>>
>> Is this a typo?   since IRQ  0  would be an error.

>Nope...that is what it returns...that is one of the things that I am
>most suspicious about.

Enter your CMOS and set the PNP-OS option to NO .

[...]

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: arse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: monitor problem
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:19:41 GMT

 i have an obscure make of monitor, called 'bluepoint'., this has cuased
problems with linux redhat. it was ok until i wanted to chenge the
resolution. then i dicovered it wouldnt let me for this type of monitor.
in the setup program it had it just as a generic monitor. so i changed
it to generic multisync and this worked and i could chenge the
resolution. but i curves in at the side, in a funny kinda shape. i dont
really know what to do about it. i dont want to go back to the generic
(low resolution) one.

--
[][][]{}{}~~';:.<<//?|1¬!"Ł$$%^^&*(())__+/*+
oooh random characters i must be coool!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Phil Whiles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Lilo and moving an IDE disk
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:43:14 -0000

I have finally got RH installed on this disk, and moved to the HPT370
controller.

One of my problems I think was that the /boot partition was not <1024, which
led me to rely on booting from floppy.
Some judicious repartioning and a reinstall allowed me to install RH with th
disk attached to the mobo ide controller.
Then by using the append line in lilo.conf, I could persuade lilo that the
boot and root were really on a different ide channel.
The only difference in my last attempt was the fact that there was a /boot
parition <1024 cylinders that lilo could use, as opposed to the floppy.

Thanks to all those who helped !

Phil Whiles

------------------------------

From: arse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linmodems
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:31:06 GMT

 i have been to quite a few sites on linmodems. But they all have loads
of stuff (to much to read) on them. So can i just clarify, linmodems are
winmodems, but with software comatible with linux.
but its all in its early stages at the mo.
is that right?

From: "Niels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: DAC960
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:23:46 +0100

work the DAC960PD-3 or DAC960PU  on Windows 2000 ??

------------------------------

From: "avenegas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Looking for a modem card
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:24:32 -0400

    I have a Toshiba 1605 CSD notebook wich has a built in modem (Conexant
K56 soft). I have a dual OS (Win98 and Linux), and i'm looking for a pcmcia
modem card that i can use with linux (Mandrake 7.1).
    Any help or advice would be higly welcome

Thanks in advance,

Aldo Venegas Arriagada
Ingeniero Civil Industrial
Unidad de Análisis y Gestión
ENAP Magallanes

------------------------------

From: "Default User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel Linux bombs...
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:26:13 -0500

you need to download the disc1 ISO-image file. This will automatically make
you a bootable CD, disk2 will NOT

ftp://ftp.circa.ufl.edu/pub/linux/redhat/        worked fine....

http://search.downloadaccelerator.com/cgi-bin/DAPSearch.dll?Filename?DAUI=77
41862&Filename=kernel-2.2.16-22.src.rpm&

http://search.downloadaccelerator.com/cgi-bin/DAPSearch.dll?Filename?DAUI=77
41862&Filename=kernel-2.2.16-22.src.rpm&

"Bob Gamble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Default User wrote:
>
> > thanks 4 all the thoughtful remarks. Corel is out of my HDD.
> >
> > Downloaded the RedHat 7.0 bootable ISO image file and burned a bootable
CD.

------------------------------

From: "Felix Tilley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Looking for a modem card
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 06:27:17 -0700

In article <CqQQ5.9319$Se6.156333@maule>, "avenegas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>     I have a Toshiba 1605 CSD notebook wich has a built in modem
>     (Conexant
> K56 soft). I have a dual OS (Win98 and Linux), and i'm looking for a
> pcmcia  modem card that i can use with linux (Mandrake 7.1).
>     Any help or advice would be higly welcome

Allegedly, Lucent makes Linux compatible modems - that is they supply
Linux driver software with some of their modems.  Check www.linmodems.org
for info.  Follow any links to Lucent, or whatever it's called these days.

--

|----------------------------------|
|  Felix Tilley                    |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Klaus Rabbertz)
Subject: Re: SuSE 7.0 + A7V + GeForce2 MX + X
Date: 16 Nov 2000 13:15:36 GMT

Andreas ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: anybody got that to run?

: System specs:
: Asus A7V
: Duron 700
: GeForce2 MX 32 Mb
: 256 Mb RAM
: SB128 PCI
: IBM 15 Gb HD 7200
: SuSE 7.0
: Kernel 2.2.16

Hi Andreas,

it took me several hours but finally I managed to get a similar
configuration to work with SuSE7.0, Linux Kernel 2.2.16 and
XFree86 4.0.1. For an example have a look at my web page
http://cern.ch/rabbertz/xf86config.html

Ciao,
      Klaus

      * Klaus Rabbertz    | e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]              *
      * CERN EP/OPAL      | Tel.:   +41-22-767-4832                     *
      * Switzerland       | www:    http://cern.ch/rabbertz             *

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: presario HCF miniPCI modem or the miniPCI ethernet NIC?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:25:38 -0500

"ds1436" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
---8<------------------
> Go to Compaq's website, and look up the specs for the exact model of
Presario
> you have. You might be able to get some info on what chipsets your
hardware
> uses. Then either post again here with that info, or at least specify what
model
> presario you have. The more specific the model info, the better the chance
> someone might be able to help you.

Thanks...I'll call compaq and see if I can get the info (why oh WHY don't
they ship hardware documentation with there computers?)

------------------------------

From: Anders Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.portable
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:23:30 +0100

avenegas wrote:

>     I have a Toshiba 1605 CSD notebook wich has a built in modem (Conexant
> K56 soft). I have a dual OS (Win98 and Linux), and i'm looking for a
> pcmcia modem card that i can use with linux (Mandrake 7.1).
>     Any help or advice would be higly welcome
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Aldo Venegas Arriagada
> Ingeniero Civil Industrial
> Unidad de Análisis y Gestión
> ENAP Magallanes

When oyu buy the card, make sure it is *not* another winmodem!

You should get a analogv90/idsn/ether card if you can  find one, then you
can use most network/web connection options.

I have an old Lasat 28.8 analog card, works fine.

-anders
--
[ the word wall - and the trailing dot - in my email address
is my _fire_wall - protecting me from the criminals abusing usenet]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michal Szymanski)
Subject: SoundBlaster 128 PCI - supported?
Date: 16 Nov 2000 14:39:00 GMT

Is SoundBlaster 128 PCI supported by Linux, say in Redhat 6.2?

regards, Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michal Szymanski)
Subject: HDD setup - UDMA or PIO?
Date: 16 Nov 2000 14:40:05 GMT

Hi,

I've noticed that Linux (at least RedHat 6.2) sets HDD access mode
to PIO (although it reports BIOS settings as DMA at boot time).

'hdparm' man page says that manual changing to (U)DMA is seldomly
necessary as PIO mode is usually most effective. This does not seem
to be true. In PIO mode I'm getting about 3.5 MB/sec read transfer
rate on a regular basis. After changing to udma*2 or udma*4,
it goes up to 15-25 MB/sec depending on the mode, disk model etc.

Still, on some machines (I've experimented with 5-6 PCs of different
configuration of MoBo, disk, CPU) this UDMA mode seems to be unstable
and is soon disabled by system after reporting some disk-related
errors. Or, if I have less luck, the machine hangs. I'm not 100% sure
but this might be related to the use of SoundBlaster sound card which
also uses DMA.

Several questions arise:

- should the UDMA mode be switched on, especially on newer machines?
- if yes, can it be done somehow at the very beginning of boot
  procedure, or rather at the end, in /etc/rc.d/rc.local?
- is it safe?
- if it may conflict with other DMA-devices (like sound card), can it
  be setup so the conflict does not occur?
- I've read reports on problems with UDMA/66 (some time ago). Still,
  on some machines I've succeded in setting udma*4 mode (IMHO this
  is UDMA-66) and it has worked. Does it mean that the problem
  has already been fixed?

any hints/pointers would be appreciated,

regards, Michal.

From: Dirk Traenapp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster 128 PCI - supported?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:42:04 +0100

Michal Szymanski wrote:
> Is SoundBlaster 128 PCI supported by Linux, say in Redhat 6.2?

Yes!

Dirk

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:26:01 -0500

"Peter Bloomfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> My Compaq Presario 5240 has an integrated NIC that works OK with tulip.

Thanks.  I'll give that a try!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Old Bear)
Subject: Re: SCA -> 68Pins or 50Pins
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:08:17 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela) writes:

>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.hardware
>Subject: Re: SCA -> 68Pins or 50Pins
>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:15:06 -0500
>
> ... If your chain is like that. you only want termination enabled
>on the card and the last physical drive (if its the converter (Fully
>TERMINATE!) If the adaptor is in the middle terminate the unpassed
>scsi controls on the drive (upper 8 or 16 bits).
>        Remember too that a longer scsi cable causes headaches. keep
>it short and to the point   (no pun  intended).
>--
>                        B'ichela

Folling up to the poster from a previous thread (not the above message):

Did you ever get your 10base2 network configured?  The the AE-2/c cards
work out for you?  Update would be appreciated.

Cheers,
The Old Bear