  Re: video problem ("Paul S. Wilson")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doc)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Looking for a modem card
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:59:17 GMT

There's a huge list of tested modems, including PCMCIA, at:

http://www.02.net/~gromitko/winmodem.html

I use a Xircom RealPort combo card. 10/100 ethernet & 56K modem, works with
Linux right out of the box. I assume it works with Windows... ;^)

--
 Doc Shipley
   Network Stuff

------------------------------

From: Mark Dickie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.graphics.api.opengl,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware,comp.graphics.algorithms,comp.graphics.visualization,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Subject: Re: programming of stereo video signal under linux
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:20:39 +0000

Hello

I am not completely sure what it is you are asking for so sorry if this
answer seems stupid.  You could use a Matrox G450 to run two different
displays at the same time and then combine it with a video capture card for
the input.  I take it when you say stereo you mean using slightly different
viewing angles stored as two channels so as to create a kind of 3d effect?
Hope thats helps, sorry I don't know of a good capture card.

--
===========
Mark Dickie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 2 NICs in RH box, DHCP don't wanna work
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:19:57 GMT

Hi!

First some background.  I am not a regular Linux user.  I have some end-
user experience with a couple of flavors of Unix, however my Linux
experience is limited to installing Red Hat and setting up X windows
and a basic networking config.  I have mostly failed to migrate to
Linux -- in fact my linux machine was sitting in a closet unused until
very recently.  Some weeks ago the hard drive in my primary (windows-
based) computer died.  No loss.  I replaced it and reinstalled
Windows.  Now the trouble begins.  Since re-installing Windows I have
not been being assigned an IP address by Time-Warner (my cable modem
provider).  I have used 3 different NIC's, 3 different cat-5 cables, 2
cable modems, wiped my drive and reinstalled windows 3 times (most
recently as a "Typical" install), had two tickets in to the level 3
support desk at time warner, and talked to tech support at D-Link
(manufacturer of one of the NIC's I used).

I removed all peripheral cards from my PC except the NIC and the video
card.... so a stripped down PC with a stripped down windows install.  I
also used to work in tech support at an ISP, so I am not wholly
ignorant of the proper setup of windows networking.

All this trouble shooting has determined ... NOTHING.  All components
seem functional except (apparently) the Windows DHCP client.  I have no
idea how to fix windows DHCP client except to wipe the drive and re-
install windows, which has failed to work.

Now... I'm not asking you to try and troubleshoot why windows isn't
working, just wanted to give all the background....read on, if you will.

Two nights ago I pulled my linux machine out of the closet and plugged
it into my cable modem.... After manually running the module for the
NIC driver, dhcpcd, and ifconfig (all with the proper values, I think),
the machine was assigned an IP address and was up on the 'net.  Wow!
Thanks Microsoft!  Unfortunately I'm not any more ready to do away with
windows than I was when I put my linux machine in the closet....So, I
thought I'd add a second NIC to the Linux machine, and set it up as a
router with the local network using static non-internet-routable IP's,
thus absolving windows of having to deal with DHCP at all.

Now, here is where my Linux knowledge fails me.  After I added the
second NIC (both using the Realtec 8139 chip) to the machine I can't
seem to get up on the internet at all.  I've tried a few variants on
the commands that I was using when there was only one NIC in the
machine (primarily passing eth0 to dhcpcd to indicate which NIC is
connected to TW, but also a number of other variants that I don't
remember right now), and all to no avail.  As long as there are two
NICs in the linux machine dhcpcd never seems to assign an IP address to
either of the NICs.  Take out one of the card and things (usually) work
fine.  The only thing that my limited knowledge of Linux allows me to
think is that maybe since both NICs use the same chipset/driver there
is some sort of conflict at the driver level that could be resolved by
using NICs with two different chipsets... But I could just as easily be
passing the wrong parameters to dhcpcd, or doing any number of other
things wrong that I don't have the experience to even concieve of.

I'm using RedHat (3.0.36-0.7 I think -- could be wildly wrong, at work
now -- red hat install disk is about 2 years old).  I'm sure I will
have further trouble when it comes time to finish setting up routing
and NAT, but I would rather not address those issues now...I would be
happy now to be able to have both cards physically installed in the
linux machine and have one of them run dhcp and talk to Time Warner...
this seems like it should be so simple.

I have read man pages and HOW-TOs and asked friends and studied the
Linux and Networking books I have, all to no avail.  I'm stumped.
Hopefully there is are friendly folk out here that know exactly what my
trouble might be.

Thanks for taking the time to read this message.  Sorry it got so damn
long!

--Nate Brimmer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Thomas Skyt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Canon BJC600 / BJC250
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:13:29 +0100

How do I setup my Canon BJC250 under Debian/GNU Linux 2.2?

I have tried the apsfilter and gpr, but I get an error message like this
one:

Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .putdeviceprops
(1488)op_array(514)0x81c11a0:Execution stack at 0x81b4c20:
0x81be0c4: 0x0f oper --F---e-- 0x0000 0x080775f4 = %interp_exit
0x81be0cc: 0x0f file --G-rxe-- 0x0001 0x081c1838
0x81be0d4: 0x0f null --F---e-- 0x0000 0x08078e04
0x81be0dc: 0x0f int  --F------ 0x0002 0x00000006 = 6
0x81be0e4: 0x0f int  --F------ 0x0007 0x00000004 = 4
0x81be0ec: 0x0f oper --F---e-- 0x0000 0x08078df0 = %oparray_pop
0x81be0f4: 0x0f mpry --G-rxe-- 0x0002 0x081c24d8
0x81be0fc: 0x0f null --F---e-- 0x0000 0x08078e04
0x81be104: 0x0f int  --F------ 0x0001 0x00000006 = 6
0x81be10c: 0x0f int  --F------ 0x0001 0x00000004 = 4
0x81be114: 0x0f oper --F---e-- 0x0000 0x08078df0 = %oparray_pop
0x81be11c: 0x0f mpry --G-rxe-- 0x0039 0x081f5416
Dictionary stack at 0x81b4b20:
0x81be8f4: 0x02 dict --Gwrx--- 0xbfff 0x081bea4c
0x81be8fc: 0x02 dict --Gwrx--- 0xbfff 0x08202314
0x81be904: 0x02 dict --Lwrx--- 0x0804 0x081c5a1c
0x81be90c: 0x02 dict --Gwrx--- 0xbfff 0x081bea4c

What does that mean, and why does it occur??

If possible, please supply a Howto - the Linux Printing Howto is to no
use and led to this result.

greets,
--
        Thomas Skyt    -   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   -    ICQ 94681590
-o----------------------+---------------------------------------------o-

------------------------------

From: "Patrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: video problem
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:37:17 +0100

Hi,

Red Hat refuses to work with my on board video, Intel(R) 810 Chipset.

Any suggestions?

--
Patrick Pieters
+32 (0) 9 226 69 06

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D8ystein?= Skadsem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: video problem
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 20:59:15 GMT

Patrick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Red Hat refuses to work with my on board video, Intel(R) 810 Chipset.
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes, post what you have tried and error messages...

--
Řystein Skadsem

------------------------------

From: Jim Chisholm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdrom can't unmount after eject, have to reboot! grrrrr
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:14:55 GMT

==============0BDD8B00021E131E806AD39B

Jean-Michel F Moreau wrote:

> Hey ya'll
>
> After I mount a cdrom. I can still hit the eject button on the cdrom drive
> and eject the cd.  After I do this I can't unmount /dev/cdrom.  It says
> "Device is busy".  Is there someway to force the umount?  umount -f didn't
> work :(.  I have to reboot everytime.  I know the simple solution to this is
> stop ejecting cd's before doing umount /dev/cdrom, but i always forget.  Is
> there anyway to fix this problem.  I am using RH7 with 2.4.0-test10 kernel,
> generic atapi eide cdrom.
>
> As always I greatly appreciate people taking time to answer my questions.
> Thanks :)
> --
> http://members.tripod.com/jeanmichel_moreau   <--- aquarium webpage, email
> address

Hi..
If all else fails, fuser will usually do the trick.
Do a fuser -km /dev/cdrom and any hidden proceeses accessing the cdrom will be
terminated.

Jim

Jim Chisholm
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
Captain/Training Officer  Bay Road Station 59

==============0BDD8B00021E131E806AD39B

Jean-Michel F Moreau wrote:
drive
It says
umount -f didn't
solution to this is
Is
kernel,
href="http://members.tripod.com/jeanmichel_moreau">http://members.tripod.com/jeanmichel_moreau</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;
&lt;--- aquarium webpage, email
Hi..
will be terminated.
<pre>--&nbsp;

Jim
Chisholm&nbsp;<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service&nbsp;
Captain/Training Officer&nbsp; Bay Road Station 59
=======================================================</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: Maik Schwandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: tdfx
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:18:25 +0100

hi!

i want to use the hardware 3d acceleration of my creative
3d blaster
banshee PCI video card while using mandrake7.2 with the new
xfree86 4.0.

when i used the old xfree3.3.4 i had to use the right
xserver together
with the 3dfx.o kernel module to use the 3d acceleration of
my banshee.

how can i reach this with xfree86 4.0?

there is no problem when i load the 3dfx module with
"insmod 3dfx" but
there is no 3d acceleration, too.
i read that i have to load the tdfx module but it is not
possible on my
system:

   insmod tdfx
   Using /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/misc/tdfx.o
   /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/misc/tdfx.o: unresolved symbol
agp_enable_R50eb8453

then i tried to load the agpgart module first. that could
not be (and
was not) successful because i do not have AGP!

   insmod agpgart
   Using /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/misc/agpgart.o
   /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/misc/agpgart.o: init_module:
Das Gerät oder
die             Ressource ist belegt
   Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

can anyone help me, please?
thx & greetz
        maik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us! Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:26:16 -0000

On 16 Nov 2000 15:14:22 GMT, Henry_Barta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.hardware Christopher Friesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>    [... excellent description]
>
>> Basically, that should do it.
>
>    But what if it doesn't? At that point, I can ping other hosts
>    on the LAN but inbound and outbound TCP connections (ftp and
>    telnet) simply hang.

If you can ping other hosts on the LAN then your net card driver is working
properly.  You need to get your default route set properly.  Could you post
the output of "netstat -rn" and "ifconfig".  Does your lan use dhcp?

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: Tien Duc Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Integrated AIC-7890  + PCI AIC-29160 woes
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:00:23 -0500

Hello,

            I would be greatful if someone could enlighten me on this:
My Linux box is running RH Linux 6 kernel 2.2.5; an integrated AIC-7890
is already installed and working with 3 devices: id 0 is a
Quantum disk, id 3 is a VXA-1 tape, id 4 is a SEAGATE drive and id 7 is
the AIC-7890 itself. When i install the PCI AIC-29160,
an reboot linux, the kernel loads the driver and detecs the Quantum, and
VXA-1 but on the SEAGATE it choke.
The principal message is:

scsci bus is being reset for host 1 channel 0.
etc

Tien duc

------------------------------

From: "Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Help:installing RH6.2 on DPT SmartRAID V
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 00:14:11 +0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am trying to install RH6.2 on the hardware below and keep getting 'no
> valid media' to install on. I have down loaded the documentation I could
> find, "Linux DPT SmartRAID V HOWTO" & dpt_i2o module.  I followed the
> instructions step by step and still get the no media error.
>
> Hardware; ASUS P2B-D Award 1012B dual P3 600 w/ 512 MB ram PM3754U2 w/
> DPT RAID Setup Utility V1.11/1E1 12/9/99
> 35g RAID5 (lun/volume) across 3 18g Seagate cheetahs
>
> I got the card secondhand, so no manuals.  I reset everything I could to
> defaults. Do I have to change settings in the raid card?
>
> The bios lists the card as unknown pci device, IRQ 10.
>
> RH7.0 pukes and dies as well.

Are you sure it says "no valid media TO INSTALL ON."  I have a DPT Cache
IV controller with the CD connected to it and I get the message "invalid
media" but, its that it is not finding the CD rom.  I have always had to
connect an old IDE CD to install.  Once its installed I have no problems.

------------------------------

From: John Harlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.sound
Subject: Re: es1371 + viavoice + blackdown sound card problem
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:30:09 GMT

In article <d2LQ5.2971$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a es1371 sound card. I know the sound card works and the kernel
is
> properly configured because I can play mp3s and other sound files with
> xmms, and I can hear input to the microphone through the headphones.
I am
> using Debian 2.1 and the 2.2.16 kernel.

I'm using Mandrake 7.1 with and es1371 and the same kernel and I get
exactly the same behavior.

> However, I cannot get IBM's ViaVoice software to output or recieve
sound,
> nor can I get sox to play or record .au files.
>
> The es1371 driver does not support .au formats, which means that the
> following quick-and-dirty ways of accessing the sound card do not
work:

> cat sample.au > /dev/dsp dd bs=8k count=4 < /dev/audio > sample.au
>
> Catting /dev/sndstat does not do what I expect it to do:
>
> % cat /dev/sndstat
> cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device

Same thing.

Using the dd command works perfectly. Samples I dd in replay fine when I
cat them to /dev/audio or /dev/dsp.

> ViaVoice uses the Blackdown JDK.
>
> My question is: Is it possible that either ViaVoice or Blackdown is
trying
> to read/write to the sound card in .au format, thus preventing it from
> working with the Ensoniq 1371 sound card?
>
> If this were the case, is the only course of action for me to buy
another
> sound card (or rewrite the es1371 driver)?

I'm wondering if a set of "commercial" oss drivers would solve the
problem. That is a cheaper solution than a new card.

--
John R. Harlow
United Systems Inc.

From: "Paul S. Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:00:32 -0500

Hi Patrick,

 I had the same problem when I first tried to install Linux on my old
system. (Actually, could run Linux okay, just not X). I read somewhere
that X does not work with on-board video (probably a chipset issue). My
solution? I built a new system and got a video card with a chipset that
was compatible. Red Hat has a hardware compatibility list on its web site
that can help you identify video chipsets and video cards that are
compatible with the version of Red Hat that you have.

Paul