Linux-Hardware Digest #907, Volume #13           Fri, 17 Nov 00 23:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: hard drives: Can I just unplug one's power cable, leaving the flat data cable
still plugged in? (Steve Bradley)
  Re: Dlink DFE-530TX with RH 7.0 ("Martin C. Barlow")
  Re: LinkSys betrayed us! Poor prospects for Linux. (Henry_Barta)
  Re: hard drives: Can I just unplug one's power cable, leaving the flat data cable
still plugged in? ("Ron Reaugh")
  Re: hard drives: Can I just unplug one's power cable, leaving the flat data cable
still plugged in? (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Sound Blaster Awe64 and Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Old School (Michael V. Ferranti)
  Re: Old School (Michael V. Ferranti)
  Re: programming of stereo video signal under linux (Michael V. Ferranti)
  NTFS mount by Red Hat 7.0 ("Jürg Schär")
  Re: Tape drive troubles: HP colorardo 20GB TR5 (John Thompson)
  Re: LinkSys betrayed us! Poor prospects for Linux. (Christopher Friesen)
  Re: Tape drive troubles: HP colorardo 20GB TR5 ("Jean-Michel F Moreau")
  Re: Old School ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: printcap entry
  Do optical mice work with Linux? (Henry S. Greenside)
  Promise Ultra100, IBM 75GXP - Slow and small??? (Jason Kerr)
  Re: Linksys LNE100tx ("Clifton T. Sharp Jr.")

From: Steve Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hard drives: Can I just unplug one's power cable, leaving the flat data
cable still plugged in?
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 00:25:06 GMT

Rick Nelson wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 06:07:22 +0800, "Dan Jacobson"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said with great vengeance and fuuurious
> anger:
>
> >Let's say I have two hard drives which I alternatively test, needing to
> >unplug and replug.
> >Can I just unplug one's power cable, leaving the flat data cable still
> >plugged in,
> >or must I unplug both power and data cables to avoid IDE protocol
> >interference, etc.?
>
> It's the opposite.  You can leave power to both of them - that won't
> interfere with anything unless you are specifically troubleshooting a
> power supply problem.
>
> It's the IDE cable you'll want to remove to "remove" that drive.
> There's also the possibility of having to change your jumpers around
> quite a bit with this type of troubleshooting.

Hmm.  I guess either way would work OK  - the easiest solution, if you have
newer hard drives is to set both to "auto" with their jumpers (rather than
setting one to master and one to slave and having to constantly re-jumper
them).  You MIGHT still have to go into your BIOS every time to upgrade the
drive listing...depends on the BIOS.

Personally, I'd rather be unplugging the power cable than the IDE - less
chance of damaging one of those nasty little pins...but then, I'm clumsy!

--
Steve Bradley

Registered Linux User#187404
(register at www.linuxcounter.org)
ICQ#19864616

------------------------------

From: "Martin C. Barlow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dlink DFE-530TX with RH 7.0
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 00:34:09 GMT

I've got the Dlink 528 and i just used the ne2000 driver
works sweet!

------------------------------

From: Henry_Barta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us! Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: 18 Nov 2000 00:28:22 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Henry_Barta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.hardware Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     (I agree that if 'ping' works, then everuything else should
>     too.  After I get through with this, I'll put the old card back
>     in and see if things still work.)

    'Old' card still works. results from 'netstat -rn' and 'ifconfig' are:
[root@pswin /root]# netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
207.229.129.252 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 ppp0
192.168.100.100 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 eth0
192.168.100.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
0.0.0.0         207.229.129.252 0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 ppp0
[root@pswin /root]# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:05:30:63:D6
          inet addr:192.168.100.100  Bcast:192.168.100.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:15 Base address:0xe000

> [hbarta@pswin hbarta]$ netstat -rn
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
> 207.229.129.252 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 ppp0
> 192.168.100.100 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 eth0
> 127.0.0.1       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 lo
> 192.168.100.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
> 0.0.0.0         207.229.129.252 0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 ppp0
> [hbarta@pswin hbarta]$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 45:C4:45:C4:45:C4
>           inet addr:192.168.100.100  Bcast:192.168.100.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:29 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:13 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           Interrupt:15 Base address:0x9000

    I have another question. I have vague recollections about having
    to specify exactly which Ethernet was being used. These were
    (if my fading memery serves...) 802.3, DIX ??? Are these
    relavent? I suspect that everything is 802.3 these days.

    Anyway, the difference between these two setups is the cards
    and the driver. With the old card, the default driver loads
    and works. With the new card, the driver (tulip.o) fails to
    load at boot time and I load pci-scan and tulip modules by hand
    and then start the network by running:

        '/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start'

    And the old card works.

--
Hank Barta                            White Oak Software Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)

------------------------------

From: "Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 00:46:13 GMT

Dan Jacobson wrote in message <8v4bfc$h9i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Let's say I have two hard drives which I alternatively test, needing to
>unplug and replug.
>Can I just unplug one's power cable, leaving the flat data cable still
>plugged in,
>or must I unplug both power and data cables to avoid IDE protocol
>interference, etc.?

Both would be better if on a cable with another active drive.

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Nov 2000 20:03:27 -0500

"Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Let's say I have two hard drives which I alternatively test, needing to
> unplug and replug.
> Can I just unplug one's power cable, leaving the flat data cable still
> plugged in,
> or must I unplug both power and data cables to avoid IDE protocol
> interference, etc.?

If you are going to be doing more than a single shot test and have an available
5 1/4" slot, you might consider getting two or more removable drive enclosures
from the same manufacturer, such as:

        http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=205-7036

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster Awe64 and Linux
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 01:16:32 GMT

>    I have and Awe64 Gold and remember reading somewhere on a way to
make
> it work in Mandrake 7.2. If someone could point me in the right
> direction I would appreciate it. Looked in some FAQs but may have
> overlooked it.
> Thannks
> ps. If you would reply to email I would appreciate it too, since I
> search the newsgroups and again can overlook so much... again, Thanks

I have one working in my RH6.2 box.

I configured it with the sndconfig program and it was autodetected ok
*but* not with my 3c509 nic in the same box (?), I set all io ports,
IRQ, and DMA, but no go until I replaced the nic with a ne2000 on the
pci bus.

The sndconfig program saves settings into three files
/etc/sysconfig/soundcard  Stores current settings
/etc/conf.modules         Stores sound module configuration
/etc/isapnp.conf          Stores PnP configuration

My working conf.modules looks like this:
<snip>
alias sound-slot-0 sb
options sound dmabuf=1
options opl3 io=0x388
alias midi awe_wave
post-install awe_wave /bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2
options sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=0 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x300
<snip>

HTH
Bluster

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Old School
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 01:36:46 +0000

And [EMAIL PROTECTED] spoke thusly:

>I really don't like RedHat, but maybe I just haven't used it enough.
>The installer never did it for me (kept crashing and messing up), and
>RPMs seem primitive compared to what some other distros can do.

        Me either, because of RPM, and because of this apparent trend by many
distros to make users "commercially dependant" on Their Package Manager.
At a time when we can barely get driver support, I don't think splitting up
and segregating the Linux community is the right way to go.  As for Linux
commercialization, we should be pushing Unix and X compatibility to the
hilt and raising desktop support from that quarter of the business market.

--               Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
Warning: The Surgeon General has deemed that excessive displays of warning
labels and public service announcements produce stress and shortens lives.

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 01:36:48 +0000

And John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>Give Debian a try.

        Can you still do without apt, or have they gone the way of RedHat and
made their distros package-manager dependant?  I'm thinking of switching to
Debian, but I don't want to get stuck with a commercialized version of
Linux that may or may not become a success.  RedHat has a lot of support,
but in my book, Torvalds is the one who's calling the shots (so long as the
kernel remains GPL).

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: programming of stereo video signal under linux
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 01:36:49 +0000

And Jörg Thiem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>I don't mean the programming of 3D-objects, but generating a
>3d-vga-signal for feeding a HMD.

        In the past, they usually did the easiest thing and ran a split-screen
view (two pictures on one screen/video-stream), and directed each half of
the screen to each eye.  I know DooM had split-screen support for one HMD.

From: "Jürg Schär" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NTFS mount by Red Hat 7.0
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:40:13 +0100

Is NTFS supported by Linux, say in Redhat 7.0?

I tried to mount in read only mode my Win2k NTFS partition.
But it doesn't work. I tried the type hpfs and vfat, but both of them
doesn't work.

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape drive troubles: HP colorardo 20GB TR5
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:59:41 -0600

Jean-Michel F Moreau wrote:

> After hours of searching I found this:
> http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/mkrapp_colorado.html
> it says to put append = "hdb=ide-scsi" in lilo.conf and that part works ok
> then
> in rc.local
> modprobe ide-scsi  <-- this part doesnt work
> It cant find module ide-scsi.  What option is that in the kernel?  I am
> using RH7 and 2.4.0-test10

Using kernel 2.2.16 here, it's in "Block devices...SCSI emulation
support" (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI in /usr/src/linux/.config).  Run
"make modules;make modules_install" and try modprobe again.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Christopher Friesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:29:12 -0500

Henry_Barta wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.hardware Christopher Friesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>     [... excellent description]
>
> > Basically, that should do it.
>
>     But what if it doesn't? At that point, I can ping other hosts
>     on the LAN but inbound and outbound TCP connections (ftp and
>     telnet) simply hang.

This is not a driver issue, but rather a configuration issue.  I have
had this exact problem, but for the life of me I can't remember what it
was.

It is simply a matter of exactly what is being set up for the old card
by the kernel on startup versus what is being set up for the new one
manually.  The two configurations are obviously slightly different,
enough to cause problems.

Some possibilities:
-DNS isn't working properly and ftp/telnet are blocking on hostname
lookup
-the extra "lo" interface when comparing the old to the new outputs from
ifconfig is causing problems
-can you telnet to localhost and 127.0.0.1? if not, this further points
to a configuration problem

--
Chris Friesen                    | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks                  | work: (613) 765-0557

------------------------------

From: "Jean-Michel F Moreau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 19:13:41 -0800

I found it.  Ok now taper works w/o that wierd error.  Now my tape drive
appears to be a scsi device.  I did a test backup (went fine).  Then I did a
test restore.  BUT.. most of the directories were restored but WITHOUT the
files.  I have no clue why this tape drive is acting funny.  Do I need to
set it up some how or.... is there some other step I am missing?

--
http://members.tripod.com/jeanmichel_moreau   <--- aquarium webpage, email
address
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 17 Nov 2000 22:38:15 -0500

Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> And John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>
> >Give Debian a try.
>
>       Can you still do without apt, or have they gone the way of RedHat and
> made their distros package-manager dependant?

I did without apt for some considerable time.

Can you do without _any_ package manager?  I guess you can uncompress
the files manually, if that's your thing.

> I'm thinking of switching to Debian, but I don't want to get stuck
> with a commercialized version of Linux that may or may not become a
> success.

I don't believe Debian will ever be commercialized.  It's one of the
more GPL-ish distros out there.

> RedHat has a lot of support, but in my book, Torvalds is
> the one who's calling the shots (so long as the kernel remains GPL).

I really don't understand why RedHat has so much support.  I mean,
it's blatantly _bad_.  Is it just that they were the most successful
in popularizing their package format?

This may be the same sort of confusion I have as to why Windows beat
out OS/2.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In one gloss of the cut interstellarly I must immovable protect the
universe.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.samba
Subject: Re: printcap entry
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 19:40:16 -0800

Give this a try in the smb.conf file. This is what I'm using.

[Canon4300]
comment = Unix printer %p
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = yes

news:r9KQ5.252598$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Henry S. Greenside)
Subject: Do optical mice work with Linux?
Date: 17 Nov 2000 22:50:13 -0500

Does an optical ball-less mouse like those made by Microsoft
and Logitech work with Linux? If so, are any special drivers
necessary?

        Thanks,

        Henry

------------------------------

From: Jason Kerr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise Ultra100, IBM 75GXP - Slow and small???
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:53:01 -0500

I've got an IBM 75GXP 46.1GB drive attached to Promise Ultra100 card,
running on an older ASUS P55TP4 mobo with the IntelFX chipset and Award
4.51 BIOS. I'm running RH7, with a prisitine 2.2.17, patched with Andre
Hedrick's ide.2.2.17.20000904.

The system boots OK, and the kernel recognizes the card and the drive --
given the BIOS, that's a good thing. However, I can't (for the life of
me) get the system to use the card at anything faster than UDMA2, or to
recognize more than 33.8GB of the 46.1 total.

It'd be a shame to use the card & drive with these limitations, so I'd
appreciate any help people could provide me.

- How do I set the IDE subsystem to use UDMA5?
- How do I get the IDE subsystem to recognize the add'l 14GB of space on
the drive?

(The latter could also be stated as "How do I convince the system to
ignore the BIOS and recognize the full disk size?")

Here are the details ...

## LILO is set to use LINEAR rather than CHS

## kernel src config -

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_PIIX_TUNING=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST=y

## kernel boot messages -
PDC20267: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 58
PDC20267: chipset revision 2
PDC20267: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC20267: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xb808-0xb80f, BIOS settings: hdg:DMA, hdh:pio
hde: IBM-DTLA-307045, ATA DISK drive
ide2 at 0xe000-0xe007,0xd802 on irq 10
hde: IBM-DTLA-307045, 32253MB w/1916kB Cache, CHS=65531/16/63, UDMA(33)

## The drive is attached @ ide2 .. PIO? It should be UDMA!

## The CHS should read 89355/16/63, but the BIOS is balking at C > 65535

# hdparm -i /dev/hde

/dev/hde:

 Model=IBM-DTLA-307045, FwRev=TX6OA50C, SerialNo=YMDYMLN1911
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40
 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=-66060037, LBA=yes, LBAsects=66055249
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5

## Negative CurSects? Is CurSects stored in a short int?
## LBAsects should be 90069840
## DMA modes should be udma5

Suggestions? Pointers? Patches?

As I said, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason Kerr

From: "Clifton T. Sharp Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linksys LNE100tx
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:00:01 -0600

Henry_Barta wrote:
>     I would be real interested in comparing notes with anyone who
>     has a v4.1 card working.
> [snip]
>     Result of lspci is:
> [snip]
> 00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Bridgecom, Inc: Unknown device 0985 (rev 11)

It doesn't look like you have a 4.1 card. They identify as "ADMtek Comet
rev. 17", not as "Bridgecom, Inc."

--
|   Cliff Sharp   |  Hate spam? Take the Boulder Pledge!                      |