Linux-Hardware Digest #7, Volume #14              Sat, 9 Dec 00 20:13:08 EST

Contents:
  waveartist rwa010 soundcard
  Re: New Epson Printers (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Panasonic CW-7582 CDR won't work using CDRECORD..? (Andreas Mohr)
  Re: Activating the Multimedia keys (Andreas Mohr)
  Re: Acer CD-RW 8x4x32x vs. Linux Kenerl-2.4.0-test11 (Andreas Mohr)
  Re: head-banging hard drive - any help? (Andreas Mohr)
  Re: ZIP Plus - need imm.tar.gz ("Doug")
  Re: <no dial tone> (Robert)
  2 nic's sharing the same irq ("R.W.de Wijs")
  modem driver (The Black Horus)
  Re: 2 nic's sharing the same irq (Dances With Crows)
  Re: modem driver (Dances With Crows)
  Re: kernel: svc: unknown version(3) when loading nfs ("Karl Heyes")
  Re: What is the command to  . . . ? (Michael V. Ferranti)
  SIIG ATA/100 (CN-2474) with RedHat 7.0 (me)
  Key Error on install ("Jason Greenbaum")
  Re: Trying to port a hacked CMI8330 audio setup from RH6.2 to Potato... (Michael V.
Ferranti)
  Adding Hard drive question?? ("Charles Lutzen")
  Install on Compaq Proliant 1500? (Steve Baker)

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: waveartist rwa010 soundcard
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 19:18:20 GMT

has anybody make this card work on linux?

thanks

josé

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Epson Printers
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 19:33:02 GMT

"G=EDsli L=E1rus Valsson" wrote:

>   Hi
>   Does anyone know if the new Epson stylus color II 680 880 printers wo=
rk with gs?
> I am in the need of getting a new printer and am wondering witch to cho=
ose.

> the Hardware-howto was last modified sometime in 99 so any input, exper=
ience would
> be apriciated

 http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=3D317801

The answer is yes ... but.  They appear to need the new GIMP-Print (stp) =
device for
GhostScript.

This means that currently you need to build GhostScript from source.  But=
, that will
probably only be the case for a short length of time.  There is a new Gho=
stScript
release, 6.5 and I would think that the binaries would include the new dr=
ivers when
they are released.

JRT

------------------------------

From: Andreas Mohr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Panasonic CW-7582 CDR won't work using CDRECORD..?
Date: 9 Dec 2000 19:46:03 GMT

Robert J. Leonard III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi.. I have been trying in vain to get this combination to work on my Linux
> (Redhat 7) box... the drive is recognized, but when I try to write I get:
> "Drive Returns Wrong StartSec"... I have Firmware version 1.10 on the
> drive..

> Has anybody gotten this drive to work using Linux?  If so how??  Maybe an
> older version of the firmware??  I can't find anything older, and Panasonic
> says "We don't have anything"...  lots of help they were!

> Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!
You don't even tell *which* program you use !!
I just assume it's cdrecord.
Try the driver=name option (-> man page !) in order to test different drivers
for your drive.
In case using a different driver helps, you might want to contact the
author of cdrecord, Joerg Schilling.

I had trouble with a firmware incompatibility of several newer Acer drives.
The drive wouldn't burn at all, but stay in simulation mode constantly.
cdrecord is fixed now, but Acer still didn't reply to my problem report...
(ultimately it boils down to a firmware incompatibility, regardless of
whether cdrecord helped in making that bug happen or not)
Some Windows software has the same problem, too.

I'll NEVER buy Acer again.

Andreas Mohr

------------------------------

From: Andreas Mohr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Activating the Multimedia keys
Date: 9 Dec 2000 19:55:52 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Istvan Zsolt Kovacs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi!

> I have a multimedia keyboard (microsoft internetlike/clone) with:
> Sleep,Suspend, WWW, MsDos, MyDoc,Menu and the Play/Stop/Ffwd
> etc buttons. There are also 2 additional LEDs.

> Does anybody know how to activate these keys in Linux? I'm using kernel
> 2.2-15 with RH6.0 and XFree86 4.0.1.

> These keys DO NOT generate any scancodes (checked with showkeys and xev)!
They DO GENERATE scancodes. (at least for my Logitech Cordless)
You didn't use showkey -s, right ?

> I know the scancodes it supposed to generate
> (http://www.win.tue.nl/math/dw/personalpages/aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes.html)
> and I  know how to map them under XFree86 4.0.1
> but so far I didn't find a patch (kernel,keyboard driver) to activate the
> keys.

Linux console support is very poor for extended keyboards.
The only thing to do for launching certain services via keypress is:
you can map the kbrequest feature in /etc/inittab to a *single* (!)
key. Only one key, as init uses one signal to detect this.
One would have thought that they use a "callback ioctl()" in case init
receives the kbrequest's signal in order to query back from the kernel
*which* key got pressed.
But no, they chose to use this signal for only one key.
@#$%%#^& !
(well, maybe they couldn't do it in a different way)

OTOH, X support is probably much better (it can't be much worse ;),
but I didn't mess with it too much.

Andreas Mohr

------------------------------

From: Andreas Mohr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Acer CD-RW 8x4x32x vs. Linux Kenerl-2.4.0-test11
Date: 9 Dec 2000 20:05:16 GMT

Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,

> I am facing some sort of weird problem with my Linux machine running
> SuSE-7.0 Pro with the latest linux-2.4.0-test11 kernel.  I am able to
> copy/duplicate some CD on to a CD-RW media using my ACER 8x4x32x CD-RW
> drive but the CD-RW drive is not able to read it when I tried to mount.
Many newer Acer drives have a firmware incompatibility I discovered
(even with some Windows software).
Get newest experimental cdrecord. It will help.
I've got the CRW8432IA.

Acer has NOT been helpful in this matter (no reply after several tries).

I'll never buy Acer again.

Andreas Mohr

------------------------------

From: Andreas Mohr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: head-banging hard drive - any help?
Date: 9 Dec 2000 20:16:39 GMT

Thuktun Flishithy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, all...

>       I'm having a large problem and I'm hoping for some insight here.
> Quick description:  I have now experienced two hard drive "failures" in a
> short period of time (one old, one new) and I'm wondering if my system is
> causing them to go bad.
I'm pretty damn sure your power connector is flakey, especially since it
happened again right after having installed the CD-RW.
Check your power cabling !!
(I had this problem)

Andreas Mohr

------------------------------

From: "Doug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ZIP Plus - need imm.tar.gz
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 02:05:22 -0600

sorry, dances...

my code base 2.0.36 doesn't have the code for that driver...  perhaps i can
find it somewhere else...
(i.e., i wouldn't have asked if i had it.)

-doug

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Robert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: <no dial tone>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:48:29 GMT

SuSE's wvdial gots this option, which distro and which program are you
using?

From: "R.W.de Wijs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2 nic's sharing the same irq
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:10:38 GMT

Yes,

it sounds silly, but that's what happened during installation of RH7.0
I use one nic for my internal network and one for my cable modem.
Does Samba have to be installed to be able to ping ?
I ask this because I am not able to ping to my other PC ( Linux also..) and
I think it is because there is a conflict with the irq ( both 9 ), if
so....how can I change this, or...how do I find out what the right irq is.
The funny thing is that the 2 nic's also have the same irq ( 10 ) in W98 and
they both do their job without any problem...
I checked the irq wit the command 'interrupt'and they both show 9 in Linux.
The problem is that I cannot test the nic for my cable modem to the internet
because the cable network is down and it is not going to be up before
monday.
I also cannot ping to the internal IP address of the nic's
Anybody can help me out with this one..?

Ron

------------------------------

From: The Black Horus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem driver
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:24:39 GMT

I'm looking for my PCI Motorola modem driver, can anyone tell
me if it exists, and where ?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: 2 nic's sharing the same irq
Date: 9 Dec 2000 22:49:49 GMT

On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:10:38 GMT, R.W.de Wijs staggered into
the Black Sun and said:
>I use one nic for my internal network and one for my cable modem.
>Does Samba have to be installed to be able to ping ?

Whatever gave you that idea?  Samba is a high-level suite of utilities
that implement network filesharing using MS's SMB protocol.  ping is a
very lowlevel utility that sends ICMP ECHO_REQUEST packets to a specified
IP address.

>I ask this because I am not able to ping to my other PC ( Linux also..) and
>I think it is because there is a conflict with the irq ( both 9 ), if
[snip]

Are these both PCI cards?  If so, they should be reasonably OK sharing
an IRQ since PCI cards are designed to do that.  If one of them is ISA,
neither one should work at all since ISA cards can't share IRQs with
anything.  Your BIOS should assign IRQs and I/O ranges to PCI cards at
system boot, and it should make sure there are no I/O overlaps and
minimal IRQ sharing.  Turn "PnP OS Installed" off in the BIOS; Linux
generally works better when you do this.

There are a number of things that could be going wrong here.  Please
post the exact makes and models of the NICs you are using, the distro
and kernel version you're using, and the output of the "ifconfig",
"lsmod", and "route -n" commands.  Without that info, troubleshooters
would likely be shooting in the dark.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: modem driver
Date: 9 Dec 2000 22:49:51 GMT

On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:24:39 GMT, The Black Horus staggered into
the Black Sun and said:
>I'm looking for my PCI Motorola modem driver, can anyone tell
>me if it exists, and where ?

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodems.html

If your modem is on that list, and marked as a "WinModem", then you're
out of luck.  Rip it out of the case, sell it to someone who doesn't
know anything about hardware, and go buy a Real Modem (defined as one
that's external and plugs into the 9-pin serial port.)

From: "Karl Heyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: kernel: svc: unknown version(3) when loading nfs
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 23:06:54 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This fix wasn't too hard to find.
>
> There is a routine in the nfs script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs that
> checks for version 3 of nfs. Because I am running a version 2, for
> the moment I have commented out the routine from running. mountd no
> executes without an argument.

NFSv3 needs to be selected on the kernel compilation (possible
module, I not sure). Only use the recent versions of the kernel
(2.2.18pre2x) with it though. It might be a good idea with NFS 2 as
there has been a few updates wrt NFS.

karl.

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: What is the command to  . . . ?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 23:05:19 +0000

And [EMAIL PROTECTED] spoke thusly:

>What is the command to find the occurance of a string in a group of
>files in a directory?

        grep "string" <filespec>

        'grep "Hello World" *.txt' will search all the *.txt files in the
current directory for the string "Hello World".  'man grep' for more info
on the various switches that grep uses.  Be sure to enclose strings with
whitespace within quotes, or the latter parts of the string will be
mistaken for filenames.

--               Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
Linux Counter Reg.ID# 177869    http://counter.li.org    GNUke The Planet!
Sign The Linux Driver Petition:   www.libralinux.com/petition.english.html

------------------------------

From: me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SIIG ATA/100 (CN-2474) with RedHat 7.0
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 17:32:30 -0600

Has anyone gotten a SIIG ATA/100 (CN-2474) to work with RedHat 7.0?
I'm using the card in addition to the built in interface on the
motherboard.  When I boot the system, the card asks you to press F1 or
F11 if you use Windows 2000.  If I do that, RedHat will find the card
and the drives and all is well.  Unfortunitly, if you reboot and don't
press either key, the system won't find the card.  I've e-mailed their
support and they didn't really help.  They just pointed me to
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick
So I downloaded and patched my kernel, but I can't get it to
recomplie.  It never complains when I'm doing the patch, and 'make
menuconfig' and  'make dep' work fine, but when I run 'make bzImage'
it runs for a long time then says:

ake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -D__ASSEMBLY__  -traditional
-c checks
um.S -o checksum.o
checksum.S:231: badly punctuated parameter list in #define
checksum.S:237: badly punctuated parameter list in #define
make[2]: *** [checksum.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
make: *** [_dir_arch/i386/lib] Error 2

Has anyone gotten this card to work?  I've tried to compile the 2.2.16
kernel and the 2.2.17 kernel with no luck.

Thanks,

Scott

------------------------------

From: "Jason Greenbaum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Key Error on install
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 18:31:41 -0500

I am trying to install RedHat Linux 7.0 on my PC.  When I run the setup
disk, the kernel boots and a few other things happen before I get the
following message:
Key Error: RIVA TNT2

Then linux proceeds on unmount all the filesystems and cancel the install.
FYI: I have a Viper V770 Ultra video card w/ a RIVA TNT2 processor.  Does
anyone know a way to solve this?  Please let me know.  Thanks.

Jay

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Trying to port a hacked CMI8330 audio setup from RH6.2 to Potato...
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 00:16:55 +0000

And walt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>> >alias synth opl3
>> >options opl3 io=0x388
>
>The lines above definitely belong in /etc/modutils/aliases,
>after which you type (as root) update-modules.

        <nods>  Stuck them in an /etc/modutils/audio file and ran
update-modules.  I have this tweaked audio config and another one for bttv,
so after parsing what update-modules did, I thought I'd keep each one in
separate files.  (bttv settings are currently all commented out until I get
the audio portion online.)

>> >   if grep -s -q "^alias synth" /etc/conf.modules ; then
>> >      action "Loading synth module" modprobe synth
>> >   fi
>> >fi
>
>I'd say stick this stuff in a shell script in /etc/rc.boot,
>where it won't be replaced with the next system update.

        This I put into /etc/init.d/bootlocal/sh and added an S99 pointer in
/etc/rcS.d  Yeah, I just found out about things getting overwritten in
updates, so I think I'll do that and put it in rc.boot.  (It was there
originally until I'd read the not-very-specific policy docs.) <grins>
        Things seem to go well until this point.  The sb.o driver tries to load
and I get device-in-use errors.  midi and synth seem to load, according to
lsmod.  I still can't figure out what's going wrong with these damned sb.o
settings. <grins>  Probably a typo my 3:00am eyesight is missing.  I also
tried running this part at different points, after isapnp and before
modutils, after modutils...things were the same except when I once tried
running it before isapnp. <laughs>  Oh well.  Thanks for the info.  At
least now I know I'm on the right track and closing in on the problem.

From: "Charles Lutzen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adding Hard drive question??
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 00:43:21 GMT

I want to add a third drive to my linux mandrake 7.1 system.  Is there any
way that I can add the the new hard drive space to an existing mounting
point?  Basicly I have a 4gig partition and want to add a 4 gig HD can i
make that mounting point have 8 gig?

------------------------------

From: Steve Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.madrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Install on Compaq Proliant 1500?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:05:55 -0700

Attempting to install Mandrake on a Compaq Proliant 1500.  System is
Dual P-166, 64 Meg Ram, has the Compaq Raid Controller, SMARTRaid
installed, and an Adaptec 1540 SCSI Controller hooked to the CD.
    Trouble is, the system upon install can see only ONE, either the
SCSI Card, (the adaptec), or the RAID controller.
    The system currently is running UnixWare 2.1.3, with no problems,
but I would really like to upgrade to Mandrake.
    Any help at all?  Or should I stick with UnixWare?
    Thanks!
    Steve