From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Regular PCI to Compact PCI riser card?
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 22:28:23 GMT

In article <91ra9o$pd7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have an odd need to connect compact PIC cards to a regular PCI
> motherboard.  Anyone know of an existing product which does this?

Since nobody replied and someone may try searching Deja, here is
the answer

http://www.ziatech.com/manuals/compactpci/zt_6980_manual.pdf?ref=idd

Download and read the manual carefully, especially on the 3.3 vs
5 volt issues.  I highly recomend modifying the keying slots before
you plug it in.

As of December 2000 it was available from

http://www.twinhunter.com/Products/cPCI/ZT6980.html

Keith Henson

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 00:06:04 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is the best bttv TV Card?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What is the best bttv TV Card?
>
> i have and ADS channel surfer, but cant get sound to work anywhere but
> an obscure version of bttv driver in linux.  no drivers for win2k...
> win95 drivers suck.
>
> i wanna replace it.  what about the Avermedia or Hauppauge cardz?
>
> thankx for opinions!!
>
> JurgyMan
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Hello,

I would use original Haupauge cards, they work on my SuSE 7.0 out of the
box...:-)

I have one other cheap card with the bt878 chip, but it's not an original
card and you have to recompile
modules outside the kernel, and fidel a bit around to get it runnig, or
say most of it, I didn't got the radio
working, but I'm in greater need for the video input which is OK.

More info:

http://www.strusel007.de/linux/bttv/index.html

My clear suggestion would be, if the higher cost is no problem for you,
buy an original haupauge card and enjoy...

Good luck

Michael Heiming
--
When I die, I want to die peacefully, in my sleep. Like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror, like the passengers in his car.

------------------------------

From: bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Realtime audio processing
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:24:49 GMT

Here is quite a list of audio applications for linux that you might find
helpful:

http://www.linux.org/apps/all/Multimedia/Audio_tools.html

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Determining proper voltage for a 486 motherboard cmos battery backup
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:36:41 -0500

Hi,
    I have an old 486 motherboard. It used to have a small
multisegmented cylindrical cmos backup battery soldered to the
motherboard. The battery
was previously removed. I would like to know what voltage the
cmos circuit needs to maintain the clock and memory so that
I can find some substitute. The motherboard also has pins to attach
an external battery.

                                                            Thanks
                                                                    Mike

------------------------------

From: "Andrew O'Brien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Two mice?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 11:51:41 +1100

In article <92pjt6$vd3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "John Hong"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       Is it possible to have two mouse interfaces loaded?  I ask this
> because I run Linux on a notebook and sometimes I have a USB mouse
> attached and sometimes I don't.  The notebook already has a stick mouse
> on it.

I know it is possible to have two mice's using gpm...

read man gpm.... if xwindows doesn't support it then you could always use
gpm to handle mouse support for xwindows

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Carroll)
Subject: EtherExpress 16TP not recognised
Date: 3 Jan 2001 01:00:37 GMT

I've compiled EtherExpress 16 support into my 2.2.15 kernel and put my
Intel EtherExpress 16TP card into an ISA slot and... nothing.  The
yellow light comes on, but it's as if the card wasn't there - no boot
messages, nothing apparent in /proc/, and even pnpdump doesn't see it,
though I'm not sure if it's PnP or not, but I don't see any jumpers.

Has anyone any suggestions?

-- Mark

------------------------------

From: "Jan Zywiel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Local Printer Setup (HP Laser Jet 5L) under RH7
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:37:13 GMT

I am having difficulty setting up Hewlett Packard Laser Jet 5L under Red Hat
Linux 7.0. I am trying to use printtool to define a local printer. Printtool
reports that it cannot see devices /dev/lp0, dev/lp1, and /dev/lp2.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Cheers,
Jan

------------------------------

From: "Michael Gong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Local Printer Setup (HP Laser Jet 5L) under RH7
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:43:24 GMT

Same problem for me. I can't see my Canon BJC-1000 under RH6.2.

I feel a little annoyed by Linux.

Thanks,
Michael
news:dnv46.181104$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Gerd Scheidhauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.video.desktop
Subject: Firewire: WDAD002 under Linux
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 03:49:27 +0100

Hello,

I want to connect my CamCorder (a JVC GR-DVL100, eurodean version) with
my
Linux box. My configuration is:

Hardware:
 PC: Pentium II 266MHz with SCSI (Adaptec Controller, Disk, CDROM, DAT)
 FireWire-Card: A Western Digital AD002 (Chip: NEC 72xxx)

Software:
 Linux: Kernel 2.2.18 with patch ieee1394-2.2.18-20001223
 FireWire lib: libraw1394-0.8.1
 Software: dvgrab_0.89

Resources:
 /proc/interrupts: [...]
   9:       3069          XT-PIC  aic7xxx, ohci1394
   [...]

 /proc/pci: [...]
  Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
    FireWire (IEEE 1394): NEC Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=1033. Device id=cd.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 9.  Master
Capable. Latency=64.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe9001000 [0xe9001000].
   [...]

System startup messages:
 [...]
ieee1394: registered pcilynx driver, initializing now
pcilynx: looking for PCILynx cards
pcilynx: no operable PCILynx cards found
ieee1394: detected 0 pcilynx adapters
ieee1394: registered ohci1394 driver, initializing now
ohci1394: looking for Ohci1394 cards
ohci1394_0: remapped memory spaces reg 0xc8802000
ohci1394_0: allocated interrupt 9
ohci1394_0: The 1st byte at offset 0x404 is: 0x31
ohci1394_0: soft reset finished
ohci1394_0: max packet size = 2048 bytes
ohci1394_0: Iso contexts reg: 000000a8 implemented: 0000000f
ohci1394_0: 4 iso receive contexts available
ohci1394_0: Iso contexts reg: 00000098 implemented: 0000000f
ohci1394_0: 4 iso transmit contexts available
ohci1394_0: Receive DMA ctx=0 initialized
ohci1394_0: Receive DMA ctx=1 initialized
ohci1394_0: AT dma ctx=0 initialized
ohci1394_0: AT dma ctx=1 initialized
ohci1394_0: Receive DMA ctx=2 initialized
ohci1394_0: Cancel request received
ohci1394_0: resetting bus on request
ieee1394: detected 1 ohci1394 adapter
ohci1394_0: IntEvent: 00020010
ohci1394_0: Got RQPkt interrupt status=0x00008409
ohci1394_0: IntEvent: 00020000
ohci1394_0: IntEvent: 00020000
ohci1394_0: IntEvent: 00020000
ohci1394_0: IntEvent: 00020000
ohci1394_0: IntEvent: 00020000
ohci1394_0: IntEvent: 00010000
ohci1394_0: SelfID process finished (phyid 0, root)
ohci1394_0: selfid packet 0x807f8456 rcvd
ieee1394: including selfid 0x56847f80
ohci1394_0: This node self-id is 0x807f8456
ohci1394_0: calling self-id complete
ohci1394_0: Got phy packet ctx=0 ... discarded
ieee1394: 2 host adapters initialized
raw1394: /dev/raw1394 device initialized
ohci1394_0: request csr_rom address: C7F8A000
 [...]

Now the problem: when dvgrab tries to initialize the Firewire Card, the
call
to raw1394_get_port_info(...) returns 0 (so dvgrab thinks that there are
no
Firewire cards).

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Gerd

--
Gerd Scheidhauer
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Wil Hunting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie question
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:36:56 GMT

Greetings. I have a question to ask regarding my hardware and linux (I
am a linux neophyte), If I am not in the right forum, I apologize and
please point me to the proper one (did post this in comp.os.linux.setup
also). Just recently, I looked at the Software titles in my software
store and found a bunch; RH, Mandrake, Suse and others.  I read the
spec's on the boxes, but they are vague and I know Linux is particular
about hardware. I have two systems which I will do my best to spec out
below and am wondering what I can expect if I try to install one of
these on one or both of these systems. Any opinions on which linux
Distribution is best for a newbie would be greatfully appreciated as
well. Thanks in advance from a newbie. Any advice/tips/don'ts/do's/etc.
on the hardware and a version of Linux would be sincerely appreciated.
Again, thank you.

System 1:
Pentium II MMX (233 mhz)
Award Bios
96 meg memory
Tatung 24x Cd-rom
30 Gig Western Digital HD
Ess sound card (SB compatible)
Cirrus Logic 546x Video Card (agp-4 meg video)
Lt 56k winmodem
Ctx PL7 17" monitor
Umax Astra 610p scanner
Hp 820 (ces) inkjet printer
Note: On this system, to get the full 30 gig recognized as one hard
drive (partition), had to use "bios extender" software from Western
Digital.

System 2:
Dell Netplex 486 (25 mhz-don't laugh)
32 meg memory
8x cd-rom (don't have the mfg info at this writing)
SB compatible sound card
Sony 15" monitor
ATI Graphics Pro Turbo video card (2 meg video memory)
Generic 33.6 modem (don't think it is a winmodem as I set the jumpers)
Quantum 4.3 gig HD
HP Officejet 630 (all in one unit-actually works very well..)
Note: On this system, I put in the 4.3 gig drive and had to use, for
lack of a better description, "bios extender" software from Quantum in
order to get the system to recognize the drive/partition as 4.3 gig.

--
"A good listener is worth a thousand words"

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: ken
Subject: unable to format floppy
Date: 3 Jan 2001 01:21:22 GMT

I am a linuxnewbie and I just recently managed to get Linux RH7.0 installed. I have a
Promise Technology ATA66 controller card and I had to use the UDMA66 "mini howto" in
order to work around this and install linux. By doing so my floppy (LS-120 Superdisk)
is dev/hdd.
I am able to mount and unmount the floppy just fine and have no problems reading and
writing data to and from 1.44Mb floppies as well as 120Mb Superdisks. However, If I
try to format a floppy disk I get the error message "unable to format floppy - device
not a floppy device dev/fd0".
Does anyone know of a workaround for this???

I do have a dual boot system running Win98SE also, and I could just format under
windows but I would like to get my Linux OS fully functional on my box if at all
possible.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Ken

Linux Programmer's Site

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Newbie question
Date: 3 Jan 2001 02:24:44 GMT

On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:36:56 GMT, Wil Hunting staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>store and found a bunch; RH, Mandrake, Suse and others.  I read the
>spec's on the boxes, but they are vague and I know Linux is particular
>about hardware. I have two systems which I will do my best to spec out
>below and am wondering what I can expect if I try to install one of
>these on one or both of these systems. Any opinions on which linux
>Distribution is best for a newbie would be greatfully appreciated as
>well. Thanks in advance from a newbie. Any advice/tips/don'ts/do's/etc.
>on the hardware and a version of Linux would be sincerely appreciated.
>Again, thank you.
>System 1:
>Pentium II MMX (233 mhz) >Award Bios >96 meg memory
>Tatung 24x Cd-rom >30 Gig Western Digital HD
>Ess sound card (SB compatible)

"SB Comaptible" means nothing at all to Linux.  If you knew the exact
chipset for it, you could probably get it going without much fuss.

>Cirrus Logic 546x Video Card (agp-4 meg video)

I think this would be OK.  Bookmark the following URL anyway, in case
you run into weird problems with X:
  http://xfree86.org/3.3.6/cirrus3.html

>Lt 56k winmodem

BARF!  These sort of work, but the driver is binary-only, which will
restrict the kernel upgrades you can do.  IIRC installing the ltmodem
driver isn't that tough, though.

>Umax Astra 610p scanner
>Hp 820 (ces) inkjet printer

You may wish to check http://linuxprinting.org/ and do a Google search
on "Linux Umax Astra 610" for these.  SANE supports lots of scanners,
but possibly not that one.  If this is a parport scanner, you may be out
of luck entirely; SCSI scanners are much better-supported in general.

>Note: On this system, to get the full 30 gig recognized as one hard
>drive (partition), had to use "bios extender" software from Western
>Digital.

Linux doesn't need that crud to make use of the whole 30G.  You may need
to put /boot on the first 8.4G of the drive, but that's no biggie since
/boot can be very small (20M).  It would be wise to remove that software
if you're using this as a Linux-only system, since there's a small
chance it won't play well with LILO.

>System 2:
>Dell Netplex 486 (25 mhz-don't laugh) >32 meg memory
>8x cd-rom (don't have the mfg info at this writing)
>SB compatible sound card
>Sony 15" monitor
>ATI Graphics Pro Turbo video card (2 meg video memory)
>Generic 33.6 modem (I set the jumpers)
>Quantum 4.3 gig HD
>HP Officejet 630 (all in one unit-actually works very well..)
>Note: On this system, I put in the 4.3 gig drive and had to use, for
>lack of a better description, "bios extender" software from Quantum in
>order to get the system to recognize the drive/partition as 4.3 gig.

See above comments regarding "SB Compatible" and drive-overlay software.
This should work too, but it'd be slower than hell for doing GUI things.
The "all-in-one" printer/fax/scanner/toaster-oven devices are almost
guaranteed not to work under Linux, though.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: Serge Zloto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fire wire
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:57:49 -0800

Well I have an ieee1394 PCILynx/PCILynx2 (as per lspci). But when I
insmod pcilynx (kernel 2.4.0-test11) the system freezes.
Did not have time to analyze what's going on though...
--
serge (remove killspan)

------------------------------

From: sp00fD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NIC problems
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 02:50:53 GMT

I just installed Mandrake 7.2, and while the installation was
fantastic, I'm having a heck of a time getting my @home service
working.  I think it might be an IRQ issue with my nick (I've had some
trouble with running out of IRQ's on Windows (although, not this much
trouble :)).  I'm pretty sure that I have my network settings set up
correctly.  I unchecked "bootp/dhcp" and specified my correct ip, my
fully qualified hostname, my correct dns server and gateway.  Here's
some info I collected on my NIC (the card is a SMC, recognized as a
Realtek 8029(AS)).  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

/proc/pci:
PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device  0, function  0:
    Host bridge: VIA Technologies VT 82C691 Apollo Pro (rev 196).
Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  No bursts.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000 [0xe4000008].
  Bus  0, device  1, function  0:
    PCI bridge: VIA Technologies VT 82C598 Apollo MVP3 AGP (rev
0).       Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  No bursts.
  Bus  0, device  4, function  0:
    ISA bridge: VIA Technologies VT 82C596 Apollo Mobile (rev
35).       Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  No bursts.
  Bus  0, device  4, function  1:
    IDE interface: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo IDE (rev
16).       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xd800 [0xd801].
  Bus  0, device  4, function  2:
    USB Controller: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo USB (rev
17).       Medium devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xd400 [0xd401].
  Bus  0, device  4, function  3:
    Host bridge: VIA Technologies Unknown device (rev 48).
      Vendor id=1106. Device id=3050.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.
  Bus  0, device  9, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=121a. Device id=5.
      Fast devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xde000000 [0xde000000].
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe2000000 [0xe2000008].
      I/O at 0xd000 [0xd001].
  Bus  0, device  12, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Realtek 8029 (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.
      I/O at 0xb800 [0xb801].
  Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev
176).
      Vendor id=1319. Device id=801.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.
Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=40.
      I/O at 0xb400 [0xb401].
  Bus  0, device  13, function  1:
    Unknown class: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 176).
      Vendor id=1319. Device id=802.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.
Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=40.
      I/O at 0xb000 [0xb001].

/proc/devices:
Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty
  3 ttyp
  4 ttyS
  5 cua
  6 lp
  7 vcs
10 misc
14 sound
29 fb
36 netlink
128 ptm
136 pts
162 raw
180 usb

Block devices:
  1 ramdisk
  2 fd
  3 ide0
  9 md
22 ide1

/proc/interrupts:
          CPU0
  0:      47844          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      1232          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
10:          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci
12:      7268          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
14:      26074          XT-PIC  ide0
15:          8          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

lsmod:
Module                  Size  Used by
soundcore              2800  0  (autoclean)
parport_probe          3536  0  (autoclean)
parport_pc              7568  1  (autoclean)
lp                      5552  0  (autoclean)
parport                7744  1  (autoclean) [parport_probe parport_pc
lp]
lockd                  32208  1  (autoclean)
sunrpc                54640  1  (autoclean) [lockd]
autofs                  9456  2  (autoclean)
usb-uhci              19184  0  (unused)
usbcore                43632  1  [usb-uhci]
ne2k-pci                4240  0  (autoclean) (unused)
8390                    6208  0  (autoclean) [ne2k-pci]
nls_cp437              3952  2  (autoclean)
vfat                    9408  1  (autoclean)
fat                    30432  1  (autoclean) [vfat]
supermount            14224  2  (autoclean)

ifconfig:
# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:29:4B:A2:84
          inet addr:24.18.168.157  Bcast:24.18.168.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Base address:0xb800

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

# ifconfig eth0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 22:12:06 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD Burner

supposedly a CD cant support more than 99 tracks (tracks, not files). I
forget where I read that at and which specification the limit
corresponds to.