Linux-Hardware Digest #283, Volume #14            Thu, 1 Feb 01 12:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: Canon BJC-3000 (Andreas Loebel)
  Problems with Netgear fa311 PCI Net Cards ("Dela Lovecraft")
  Re: INTEL 82815 video and INTEL 82801AA AC'97/Crystal WDM Audio Codec (Harri Haataja)
  IDE HD "hdc is not a valid block device"?! (Chris)
  Re: Software RAID ("José Pablo Fernández Quintana")
  help (Christian Ecker)
  RH7, Vaio 505SN, Aiee ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to develop a PCI card w/o frequent reboots in Linux ("Mulder")
  USB ZIP250 with RH5.2 ("ON")
  Re: 2 pci networkcards ("Linuxconf")
  Re: adaptec 2100s raid controller ("Linuxconf")
  Re: CUR-DLS onboard NIC (Gunther Piez)
  Re: Heavy IDE use freezes screen and sound card (Dances With Crows)
  charmaps / locale ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  mount a HP-DAT 40 Streamer (Christian Hartmann)
  Re: Help: Floppy and CD on laptop (H Dziardziel)
  Re: Software RAID ("Andy Walker")
  Re: wireless network hub (Bernd Huebenett)
  Re: Software RAID ("D. Stimits")
  Hardware advice needed....    I am looking to put together a  ("mediaone")
  Re: SBLive digital output (p43cibmgs-Frank)
  Re: Intel PRO 100 VE ("Keith Wheeler")

From: Andreas Loebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Canon BJC-3000
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:56:48 +0100

Cyrille Guillard wrote:

> How should I configure to get a printer BJC-3000 running ?
> I have ghostscript 5.10, is this enough ?
> Thanks

If you want to use most features of BJC-3000, check
http:\\www.turboprint.de. turboprint is currently beta (0.70) but free,
and it support BJC-3000 printers. I use it and I found it's really
great.

Andreas

------------------------------

From: "Dela Lovecraft" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with Netgear fa311 PCI Net Cards
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:15:45 +0000

Dear All,

I have a problem getting my NetGear FA311 cards going. I know
it is possible to have them working under Linux, but I need a
little shove in the right direction....:)

The driver which comes with the cards is waaaay outdated (2.0.x
kernel), so I downloaded the driver for the 2.2.x kernel, along with
the necessary files I needed to get a driver - natsemi.c, kern_compat.c
and pci_driver.* . So far so good.

However I cannot compile them. When I try and do a make for the
fa311, I get the error that it can't find linux/modversions.h . When
I compile natsemi.c using the neccessary command line at the bottom
of the file, it tells me I am wrong....

Can ANYONE give me any pointers (apart from throw them away - I am
determined to get them going!)

Dela Lovecraft

----
"We are all in the gutter,
   But some of us are looking at the stars."
           -- Oscar Wilde

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: INTEL 82815 video and INTEL 82801AA AC'97/Crystal WDM Audio Codec
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:27:56 GMT

Martin Booth wrote:
>The saga continues, anyway while installing my system Redhat 7.0 on a HP
>Vectra 733, I can't get the sound card to work, the windows partition
>reports it as a Crystal WDM Audio Codec, but lspci gives:
>
>00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio
>(rev 02)

That's ac97_codec.o which will be called by i810_audio.o.

>amongst other things. It  isn't picked up by linux and when I try to
>install (via insmod) either, sb.o, cs4232.o or cs46xx.o doesn't work. Any

It's not an ISA card.

>Also I have problems with the screen driver, which *repeatedly* flickers
>whenever logging in or out, while logged in it seems fine, though I haven't
>tried it out very much. When returning to the log in screen it flickers

You mean restarting X (xdm/gdm/kdm) when logging in/out of it?
That's perfectly normal (althoughg i8xx does a lot of flicker in that).

>well according to Windows), again any ideas? I have appending the output of
>startx 2> output at the bottom in case anyone can see anything in it.

RH also has this in /var/log/

>Any help would be appreciated, more so on the screen driver because at
>least the lack of sound doesn't make me want to throw up!

Look away or don't use *dm =)

>(WW) Option "XkbVariant" requires an string value
>(WW) Option "XkbOptions" requires an string value
>(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType" does not exist.
>        Entry deleted from font path.

Check those. (not fatal)

Otherwise it seems ok.
Sndconfig will find youe i810 or you can use this:

## modules.conf
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
##

--
Windows Task Scheduler is a really nifty tool and should probably
be disabled and removed if at all possible.

------------------------------

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IDE HD "hdc is not a valid block device"?!
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:56:32 +0000

Hi,

    Probably a really simple answer tho this, but anyway..

I use Mandrake 7.2, up until yesterday evening I had a single 30.7Gb
Maxtor IDE drive (UDMA 66, Master on 1st IDE channel). I had a 3.2Gb
Samsung in one of my other systems and I decided to add it to my
linux box as the master on the second IDE channel. The BIOS picks
it up fine, dos fdisk can see it, when linux is loading it detects
/dec/hdc. If I run the Mandrake installer up to the drive partition
step then it sees both drives, I can even partition hdc and format
it. However when I boot linux and try something like

mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/local

I get a "not a valid block device" error. fdisk and fcdisk refuse to
even open /dev/hdc and /usr/sbin/diskdrake will only show hda!
Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Chris

------------------------------

From: "José Pablo Fernández Quintana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Software RAID
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:33:05 +0100

I recently do a raid0, on two ide disks. And I do some test.

hdparm don't show a significant I/O speed:

hdparm /dev/hda    = 15 MB/s
hdparm /dev/hdd    = 16 MB/s
hdparm /dev/md0   = 16 MB/s

but, when I copy  a huge file (for example 1'4 GB) or do

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/raid0 -bs=104 -count=10240

the speeds are 15 MB/s for disk hda or hdd but 22 MB/s for raid0

------------------------------

From: Christian Ecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:03:09 +0100

kann mir jemand helfen!?

gibt es in linux (redhat7.0) eine möglichkeit womit man von einem scaner
texte
scanen kann (ocr)

mfg. Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RH7, Vaio 505SN, Aiee
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:57:19 GMT

Hi,

I HAD RedHat 6.2 on my Sony Vaio Z505SN working ok
and then I reinstalled but with RH 7

All I get now is Aiee!

It boots OK without the CDROM attached but with the
CD it just can't cope... this must be down to the various
PCMCIA options but PCIC_OPTS=cs_irq_7 in /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia
didn't fix it; I've search the net and found all sorts of
possibilities... irq 9, 11, irq_mode, pci_csc, do_scan...
but can't work out a combination that works.

Could someone with this combo please post the bits and pieces
that need tweaking...  I need the PCMICA slot for RPM installs
from my Sony supplied PCMCIA Toshiba CDROM and use with my
PCMCIA LAN Adapter and if that works might try my 56K Modem...

I'm going mad... even considering giving up and going back to
Windows 98 (OK... that was an exageration!)

Thanks in advance,
Gavin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Mulder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to develop a PCI card w/o frequent reboots in Linux
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 21:23:29 +0800

Hi All,

I am developing a PCI card composed of a AMCC S5920 chip and a Altera FPGA
chip majorly.
The H/W routine can be simplified as : PCI bus <--> S5920 <--> FPGA

I develop H/W and its Linux driver as well.
There is a PCI protection card between PCI bus and my PCI card.
The PCI protection card can turn my PCI card on/off when PC is ON.
Since the internal logic of the FPGA is not fully completed,
I have to reprogram the FPGA frequently.
I am worried that this action will crash the PC frequently.

Any tips / suggestions can help me through this process any faster ?
Thanks very much.

Mulder

------------------------------

From: "ON" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB ZIP250 with RH5.2
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 23:33:06 +1000

Could anyone tell me where to find info about installing a USB ZIP with
RH5.2 ?

I have set the USB and USB mass storage options in the make menuconfig,
recompiled the kernel. Now I would need to know whethe to modprobe
something, and how to mount it ? Or whether I need some other driver(s) >

Thank you.

P.S. Apparently IOmega offers something, but only for the 2.4.0test2
development kernel which I am afraid to try. Any other way around it ?

Thank you

O.

------------------------------

From: "Linuxconf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2 pci networkcards
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:30:30 -0000

Hi,

I had similar problem with RH. While trying to install the system with the 2
NICs I got a system hang. Install the system with only one card. After that,
add a second card and boot. Probably, the system will recognise the
hardware. If not, conf manually.

Heiko Hofferbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escreveu na
mensagem news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Linuxconf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adaptec 2100s raid controller
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:32:39 -0000

##$%&&/ ""@£

"%%$/G%DSDG]] BG##§&/{ ???????

Claude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escreveu na mensagem
news:958ub8$nng$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Gunther Piez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CUR-DLS onboard NIC
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:43:46 +0100

Chuck Broeker wrote:

> Has anyone had any luck getting the onboard Intel NIC (82559) to work on
> the ASUS CUR-DLS mobo?

yes.

> I've tried loading the eepro100 driver but when I try to assign an IP to
> the interface, I get a 'Resource temporarily unavailable' message. This
> is on RedHat 7.0.

same motherboard, same redhat here, no problems. try a new kernel and if
this doesnt work too, send the mobo back.

system engineer                                         innominate AG
                                                 the linux architects
tel: +49.30.308806-48  fax: -77             http://www.innominate.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Heavy IDE use freezes screen and sound card
Date: 1 Feb 2001 14:05:10 GMT

On Thu, 01 Feb 2001 02:33:37 -0500, Flacco staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>During disk i/o (starting Mozilla, loading newsgroups lists in PAN),
>the screen / mouse cursor / sound card all freeze up until the i/o is
>complete.
>
>I have always used SCSI until now - I'm using a spare IDE drive to hodl
>Linux on a machine at work.  Is there something I can do to eliminate
>this problem?

hdparm -c1 -m16 -u1 /dev/hda should help.  It's the u1 that will make a
lot of the difference.  "man hdparm" to find out more.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: charmaps / locale
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:38:24 GMT

How can I change the charmap ISO8859-1 to UTF8 ?

Thanks

Oynky

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christian Hartmann)
Subject: mount a HP-DAT 40 Streamer
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:54:26 GMT

H ithere,

we are using a HP-DAT 40 Streamer (SCSCI) and want to use it directly
in the console.

For example a command like tar -cvf /dev/tap0 should be possible.

The streamer works fine under tapeware from HP, but not in the
console.

How can we do it?

Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Christian Hartmann

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H Dziardziel)
Subject: Re: Help: Floppy and CD on laptop
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 15:15:47 GMT

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:05:01 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>H Dziardziel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:14:21 -0500, Chen Luo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>: wrote:
>
>: The bios-hardware would need to support such hot swaps firstly.
>
>What do you mean by "bios-hardware" ?
>
>Guy, you have to make a decission here!
>
>Is it the BIOS *or* the hardware, that needs to support it?
>
>If you don't know, what you're talking about, it is better to say
>nothing at all.
>
>Regards,
>Friedhelm
>
>--
>Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
>The answer is: "NO!"
>Friedhelm Mehnert,  Berliner Allee 42,  22850 Norderstedt,  Germany
>phone + fax: +49-40-5236562        email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Regretfully I forgot all my German by the time I was 5 years old so
I do not know what the dash (-) means in that language but in English
the phrase following it explains the phrase before it.  I.e., it does
not mean "or".  Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you appear to be.

------------------------------

From: "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:33:16 -0000

If I add all four drives should this in theory increase performance
proportionately using RAID0 then ?
I have now installed kernel 2.4, is softRAID now fully incorporated or are
patches still necessary and if so are they suitable for 2.4?

<95bl2d$im3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: Bernd Huebenett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: wireless network hub
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 16:54:23 +0100

Hello,

I am using an Apple Airport Basestation as a Bridge between the wired
and the wireless LAN. Shure, it could act as an Internet Router but i
don't use this function, cause I have a seperate ISDN Router for this.

Bye,
Bernd

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 09:27:01 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Andy Walker wrote:

> If I add all four drives should this in theory increase performance
> proportionately using RAID0 then ?

If you are using scsi or you are using separate IDE channels it should
increase. The negative impact of simultaneous access on a single IDE
channel will interfere. On older controllers there will be no benefit
when using two drives on the same cable, but I've heard newer
controllers have compensated in some way (I don't know what way that is
though, I wouldn't trust two or more drives on the same channel of an
IDE controller for any kind of raid). SCSI is nice because they are
designed for simultaneous access.

From: "mediaone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware advice needed....    I am looking to put together a
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 16:33:31 GMT

PC to run LINUX.
The purposes is two fold.  The first is to act as a development/test
machine for a web based database application.  The typical  gnu
/mysql/java/apache  setup
I was thinking of KT133A based mother board (perhaps with raid ) with and
800 MHz Durion and single 20 or 30gig IBM disk ..l have been viewing
anandtech.com for HW suggestions.
I would like to keep the HW at about the 1000 dollar range...   Any advice
on Linux driver compatibility issues?

PS any on know a good linux job posting using?
--
John Maxwell
Senior Technical Recruiter

From: p43cibmgs-Frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SBLive digital output
Date: 1 Feb 2001 16:31:08 GMT

Andy Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> p43cibmgs-Frank wrote in message <9545gp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>>I have a SBLive Valu card, and in WinME it's set to digital output, witch
> gives it 4 channels (front right left, rear right left) out of a single 1/8"
> plug to the card
>>I haven't been able to get this to work in Linux, I've gotten all new
> emu10k1 drivers, reconpiled, followed all the online HOWTO's `, etc,
>>but she still won't work. Is this digital output the problem? If so, is
> there a way to enable it in the Linuix drivers?
>>
>>Thanx,
>>Tim
>>
> I have the same card and my machine recognises it corrrectly using Mandrake
> 7.2 without any effort so if you have no luck, try installing this
> distribution.

The problem isn't with the card, it will work with a pair of head phones. My Boston
Acustics (I'm not at home so I don't have the model number) Digital Surround
sound system doesn't work. There is a toggle in Win for digital/non digital output.
The linux driver defaults to analog output. I am wondering if anyone knows how to
set it to digital output.

Thanx,
Tim

------------------------------

From: "Keith Wheeler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel PRO 100 VE
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 09:09:54 -0700

Goran,

Two suggestions. First, might try installing the 2.2.18 kernel. That may
support the PRO/100VE card. Second, might check with
http://support.intel.com to see if they have posted a Linux driver for this
card. I've always found Intel to be good about keeping updated drivers (even
for Linux) on their web site.

Good Luck,
KW

news:t93e6.10544$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...