From: A E Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Really old printer - Epson FX-80
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:17:58 +0000

Rob Malpass wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While I've had a quick look in Printing-HOWTO, can anyone answer what should
> be a really simple question...
>
> Can I use an Epson FX-80 printer with Linux?

To add to what others have said, you can also use this printer with TeX
and family. There is a dvi driver which I can send you if need be. No
longer supported, but I am still using it on a Panasonic 24 pin printer
with very good results, The FX-80 was an excelelnt printer in its day.

Remove the spam (remember what spam meant) from my address if you need
to contact me.

ael
--
Dr A E Lawrence (from home with apologies for spam enhanced reply
address)

------------------------------

From: A E Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Canon Perfection 1640SU Scanner drivers
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:27:59 +0000

A E Lawrence wrote:

> artemis wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I am looking to buy a scanner with an adapter so I can scan my slides,
> > transparencies and negatives into my PC. The model that fits my
> > requirements is the Canon Perfection 1640SU (Photo) Scanner - however,
> > it only comes with Windows drivers as far as I know.
>
> If you mean the Epson 1640SU Photo, it works extremely well under linux
> with better support than under doze. It has both usb and scsi interfaces
> and is provided with a usb cable.

I should have remembered to point you to some notes that I posted to
this ng on 11th January. Look in the archives if it has expired from
your news server.

ael

From: "Darren Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: IS-22 Canon scanning head for Linux?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:03:57 -0800

I have a Canon printer, BJC 4300 that has a scanning head (IS-22), and
connects via parallel port.  How do I use this with Linux?  Is it possible
to get this to work, or is there a module to add?

------------------------------

From: ra300z <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3.1g drive on 486?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:34:42 GMT

 have a 486 running Red Hat 6.2.  Unfortunately the computer will not
recognize a hard drive greater than about 1 gig.  Is there any way to
update the BIOS to get the machine to recognize a 3.1 gig harddrive?

I thought about doing the drive overlay thing available through
Fujitsu but it told me I need Win32.  This is a linux machine with no
GUI!

What can i do?  Is it possible to flash the BIOS?  How do I do that?
Is it a requirement that the BIOS even sees the 3.1 gigs?

Thanks in advance.

---
http://go.to/ra300z

------------------------------

From: Karl Misselt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: System compatibility
Date: 08 Feb 2001 18:30:26 -0500

Hi everyone -
   I'm going to be buying a laptop and I've got a quote on a good
looking machine.  I've verified hardware compatibility with
Mandrake 7.2 as far as I can; I figured there's a lot of people
who know more about this than I though, so I'd like some opinions
on this setup and how easy/possible it would be to install MD7.2.

Processor:       Intel PIII 800Mhz       -   OK
System Chip:     VIA Apollo Pro133AX     -   ??
                 VT82C694X/VT82C686A
Video Card:      ATI RAGE Mobility 128   -   OK
Video Memory:    Samsung K4G323222M-QC60 -   ??
Video in:        Philips D6835100        -   ??
Audio Card:      ESS Allegro-1 ES1988S   -   OK
I/O control:     SMSC-FDC 37N869         -   ??
LAN Chip:        Realtek RTL8139C        -   OK
CD-ROM:          Matsushita              -   OK

Comes preloaded with win98.  It has a 20GB hard drive
which I'll repartition (5GB for win, 15 for linux).
this set up comes in at ~$2.1K

Thanks in advance,
-Karl

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Joseph Trammell)
Subject: Re: 3.1g drive on 486?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:39:31 GMT

On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:34:42 GMT, ra300z <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  have a 486 running Red Hat 6.2.  Unfortunately the computer will not
> recognize a hard drive greater than about 1 gig.  Is there any way to
> update the BIOS to get the machine to recognize a 3.1 gig harddrive?

There are BIOS upgrades you can pay for (~$20 IIRC), but it's
possible to get your whole drive recognized quite easily.  What
have you tried?  What documents have you read?  Have you scanned
the HOWTO list and looked for likely documents?  That's a hint;
it's in a HOWTO.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Todd)
Subject: Re: ess1868
Date: 8 Feb 2001 22:51:48 GMT

        My own ESS1868 requires a DOS utility to set up, so I
boot to DOS, set up sound and IDE2 with a batch file, then whisk
off to Linux with loadlin.

On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 03:08:49 +0200, Max A. Krasilnikov
>--------------FE96FA20EA6D3AD4E9AE7D88
>
>Hi all!!
>I have some problems with my ess1868 sound card:
>sndconf stops my system when i run it, but i have read a HOWTO how to
>set up my sound card, but i don't know how to start one script when my
>system is starting :-(
>and after starting this script as root i have folowing massage on my
>screen:
>/lib/modules/2.2.11-4bc/misc/opl3.0: init_module: Device or resource
>busi
>this script i have attach to this massage with th isapnp.conf file.
>i have system:
>ip166mmx/i439TX/RTL8029 net card/ess1868
>and Black Cat Linux 6.02 (==Red Hat Linux 6.0+some updetes for security
>and russian language support).
>On another machine ip133/i430VX/ess1868 this system works wery good...
>I have reinstall my Linux nearly 5 times (I like experiments) but
>problem didn't gone.
>When I have RH 7.0 linux i haven't this problem but I can't get this
>distributive :-(
>Can anybody help me?
>
>mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>With the best regards, Max.
>
>--------------FE96FA20EA6D3AD4E9AE7D88
>
>/sbin/modprobe sound
>/sbin/insmod uart401
>/sbin/insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=-1
>/sbin/insmod mpu401 io=0x330
>/sbin/insmod opl3 io=0x388
>/sbin/insmod v_midi
>
>--------------FE96FA20EA6D3AD4E9AE7D88
>
># LD n = Logical device, ie write to reg 7
># IO n = IO descriptor n
># BASE n = IO/Mem address
># INT n = Interrupt req n
># IRQ n = Interrupt level
># MODE = line levels etc
># ACT = Activate
>
>#(debug)
>#(IGNORECRC)
>(READPORT 0x3bb)
>(ISOLATE)
>(IDENTIFY *)
>(CONFIGURE DFX0000/1493 (LD 0 (IO 0 (BASE 0x3e8)) (INT 0 (IRQ 12 (MODE +E))) (ACT Y)))
>(CONFIGURE DFX0000/1493 (LD 0 (REG 7 (PEEK)) (REG 0x30 (PEEK))))
>(CONFIGURE DFX0000/1493 (LD 1 (REG 7 (PEEK)) (REG 0x30 (PEEK))))
># Try to force logical device 2 (which doesn't exist)...
>(CONFIGURE DFX0000/1493 (LD 1 (REG 7 (POKE 2) (PEEK)) (REG 0x30 (PEEK))))
># .. hence this gives an error
>(CONFIGURE DFX0000/1493 (LD 2 (REG 7 (PEEK)) (REG 0x30 (PEEK))))
>
>(ISOLATE)
>(IDENTIFY *)
>(CONFIGURE ESS1868/-1 (LD 1
>(IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
>(IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
>(IO 2 (BASE 0x0330))
>(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
>(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
>(ACT Y)
>))
>(WAITFORKEY)
>(WAITFORKEY)
>
>--------------FE96FA20EA6D3AD4E9AE7D88--

--
_____________________

The lap of Linuxury

------------------------------

From: John-Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Tape drive for Linux
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 00:00:06 GMT

Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "John P"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to start taking regular backups of the HD on a Linux box (P166,
> > RH6.1) - it's a 4Gb hard disk I think.
> >
> > Are there any special considerations before I buy one to make sure it
> > works with RedHat? I don't really know much about tape drives but I'll
> > have to get an ATAPI one as the machine is quite old. What is a standard
> > tape size anyway, am I likely to have problems finding ones that hold
> > 4Gb?
>
> Most decent tape drives are SCSI, and the lower end ones follow the DDS
> standards. DDS2 tapes will hold 4Gb uncompressed. There are some ATAPI
> tapes, but they're all different. Look for Iomega Ditto, or Travan tapes
> as a startign point. You'll probably need the ftape module, so I'd start
> with the supported hardware listed by that module. I would recommend a
> SCSI drive if have the option, however.
>
> HTH
>
> Mike.

HP and Seagate both make ATAPI Travan drives.  They DO NOT
use ftape.  You compile the kernel to support ide-tape (or
alternatively ide-scsi and scsi tape support).  The drives
are much cheaper than DDS, but the tape much more
expensive.  I'm using a Seagate 20GB drive (Travan TR-5,
10GB native, 20GB with 2:1 compression).  I know they used
to have a 4/8GB model, too.  They're slow but work well.  A
10GB backup/verify procedure takes 5-6 hours.  You can halve
that by skipping the verify if you trust your equipment.

Check out HP and Seagate websites for more info on their
drives and media.  I can say that the Seagates are easy to
install and work well.

HTH,

J-P Stewart

------------------------------

From: "Max A. Krasilnikov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: hd/floppy problem..
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 02:24:11 +0200

I had seen dave wrote:
I just installed mandrake 7.2(full install not update, previously run

> mandrake 7.1) and from time to time get such messages written to the
> console:
>
> hdd: the drive reports both 250609664 an 0 bytes as its capacity
> ide-floppy: hdd: i/o error, pc = 0, key = 2, asc = 3a, ascq = 0
>
> what can I do to fix it?
>
> thanks, dave

Didn't you examine your fstab file? The problem can be here. Maybe Your
Linux minds your floppy as IDE-Floppy?

--
                        -=[NTUU-KPI]=-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mikael Pettersson)
Date: 9 Feb 2001 01:29:08 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
ra300z  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> have a 486 running Red Hat 6.2.  Unfortunately the computer will not
>recognize a hard drive greater than about 1 gig.  Is there any way to
>update the BIOS to get the machine to recognize a 3.1 gig harddrive?
>What can i do?  Is it possible to flash the BIOS?  How do I do that?
>Is it a requirement that the BIOS even sees the 3.1 gigs?

Depends on what you mean by "recognize". Does it hang trying to
detect the disk, or does it just truncate the size to 1 gig,
causing lilo to fail booting your Linux kernel?

If the latter: get the Large-Disk HOWTO and study it carefully.

its CHS limits, and mount that as /boot. Install lilo in the MBR
and your kernels in /boot; if you use RH, this is the default.

I recently put a retired 2.5GB WD Caviar disk in an old 486 whose
BIOS only understands disks up to 512MB, and installed RH7 on it.
No problem at all.
--
Mikael Pettersson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

------------------------------

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MODEM. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I GO INSANE!
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 00:41:49 GMT

I am having a problem with my modem. I am using redhat5.2. I was trying to
use a couple of other modems only to find out they were winmodems, so I
bought another modem. The salesman told me it was linux compatable, but
before I bought it I emailed the company that makes it to make sure, they
assured me it would work. It is made by Jaton and goes by the name of "The
Communicator 56". I have been reading newsgroups all week and attempting to
do what I found there, as well as using my Linux Unleashed book, and looking
at any website I can find for modems and linux, and it still wont work,
below are a list of all the things I have tried. Whenever I try to call my
chatscript I see ATZ for about 60 secs, then back to the prompt without any
other messages. Also, why wont the call to "chat" work from anywhere but
/etc/ppp? I very much want to quit using windows, but this is really making
me question wether it is worth all the hassle. It took me a week to get
startx to run, and now I find I am spending another week (not to mention the
$35 for another modem) trying to make the damn modem work. Words cannot
describe my frustration! I can be reached via email at augustwest81469 <@>
yahoo <.> com.

I have made a pppscript and put it in /etc/ppp, it looks like
this:
#!/bin/sh
mesg n
stty -echo
exec pppd -detach silent modem crtscts

I have also made a chatscript in my home directory that looks like this:
"" ATZ OK ATDT9725600506 CONNECT "" ogin: ppp word: guessme

and I call it with the command:
chat -f chatscript

The command "ifconfig" gives output like this:
lo     Link encap: Local Loopback
        inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
        UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3584 Metric:1
        TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0

The command "setserial /dev/cua[0-3]" gives output like this (I ran this
command 4 seperate times substituting 0,1,2,3 each time):
/dev/cua0, UART: 16550A, Port:0x03f8, IRQ4
/dev/cua1, UART: unknown, Port:0x02f8, IRQ3
/dev/cua2, UART: unknown, Port:0x03e8, IRQ4
/dev/cua3, UART: unknown, Port:0x02e8, IRQ3

I think this is telling me that my modem in on cua0, but I'm not sure.

In the file /proc/pci I found the following:
Bus 0, device 7, function0:
    communication controller: unknown vendor unknown device (rev 0)
        vendor if=11d4. Device id=1805
        Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ9. Master capable.
Latency=64. Min Gnt=1.Max Lat=255.
            Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfedffc00.

This also leads me to beleive that linux knows my modem is there, as the
only communication device attached to the machine is the modem. No network
card.

I went to the following website and found instruciton on configuring a pci
modem for linux. http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
The instr. said to look in the /proc/pci file and find the IRQ and Port info
and then run the following command and then use "ln" to link it to
/dev/modem:
setserial /dev/cua0 irq 9 port 0xfedffc00 autoconfig
I get an error saying: cannot set serial info: Device or resource busy.

------------------------------

From: Ed  Hourigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Support for 3Com 3C905C NIC
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 00:40:10 GMT

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 23:28:55 +0100, "Peter T. Breuer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Use the kernel driver, not 3com's.

Do you mean use 'alias eth0 3c59x' in conf.modules?   Or should I
remove 'alias eth0' line from modules.conf altogether?

------------------------------

From: Ed  Hourigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 00:41:12 GMT

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 14:55:21 -0600, "rdlittle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My computer has this card.  It works just fine under Linux however, I am
>using RH 7.0  Support for this card is an option when configuring for a new
>kernel.
>
>Is it possible that Mandrake 7.2 has the same provisions?
>
>- Bob

I am somewhat new to Linux.  What does 'configuring for a new kernel'
mean?

------------------------------

From: "Mike Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help ! Problems with linux and hard drive controller
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 02:32:43 GMT

Hi,
I sold a laptop to a guy and when he bought it, it had linux on it.  He
attempted to do a windows FDISK without deleting the Linux partitions and
got a message that there was no hard drive and now the system doesn't see
any hard drive.  A computer tech told him he needed a new motherboard
because the IDE controller was bad and that the controller was integrated in
the motherboard.  The thing is that the machine was working fine with linux
and it didn't have this problem until he tried to FDISK with a windows disk.
Dpes anyone have any insight?  Please email me direct.
I will post the same request in the Windows NG's
Thanks
Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 02:40:27 GMT

In article <fFIg6.1341$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Williams wrote:
>Hi,
>I sold a laptop to a guy and when he bought it, it had linux on it.  He
>attempted to do a windows FDISK without deleting the Linux partitions and
>got a message that there was no hard drive and now the system doesn't see
>any hard drive.  A computer tech told him he needed a new motherboard
>because the IDE controller was bad and that the controller was integrated in
>the motherboard.  The thing is that the machine was working fine with linux
>and it didn't have this problem until he tried to FDISK with a windows disk.
>Dpes anyone have any insight?  Please email me direct.
>I will post the same request in the Windows NG's
>Thanks
>Mike

If he munged the partition table so that it won't boot off the hard
drive it might appear that it can't find anything.

Has he tried booting off of a floppy? (you didn't mention...)

--
Mark Bratcher
Director of Software and Electrical Engineering

------------------------------

From: "Robert M. Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AGP being disabled (Nvidia,GeForce 256)
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:16:40 GMT

Petr Honsa wrote:

> btw. my TNT2 does the same, but when i try some more demanding 3D things
> with AGPART,
> it hangs [very badly ;((]
>
> ph
 I'm getthing the same behavior onl sporadically.
--

Bob Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Welcome to SuSE Linux 7.0 (i686) - Kernel 2.2.16 (tty1)

Osprey login:

------------------------------

From: "Darren and Marla Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: tape or tape drive bad?
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:30:34 GMT

I have a Tandberg 4220 SLR tape drive and it is supposed to work with
SLR2,3,4 tapes.  It also works with MAGNUS 1.0 and 2.5 tapes.  I found a
MAGNUS 1.35 tape, same format and size, but different capacity/length.  Is
it possible that this tape will not work in my drive?  I have not seen this
model of tape on ANY compatibility charts anywhere and suspect it is just an
old tape.  I hope I am not doing something wrong, but when I do a:

# mt -f /dev/st0 tell
st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00: sense
key Illegal request
Additional sense indicates Incompatible medium installed
/dev/st0: Input/output error
Is it possible I need to setpartition the tape or something?

Anybody wanna trade a tape?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: ATX mobo shutdown
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:52:49 -0000

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:12:07 +0100, Roel wrote:
>Hello
>
>Got a new pc ,I would like to know if it is possible to shutdown Linux
>and the pc also automaticly shuts down the power.
>
>Roel

Power-off works for me on ATX mobo with Athlon. The machine supports
ACPI so I use the acpid daemon. Works fine.
However, it seems acpid will no longer compile against against kernels
after 2.4.0-test12 due to changes in acpi.h and other things.

ACPI4Linux:  http://phobos.fs.tum.de/acpi/index.html

Intel's ACPI:
  http://developer.intel.com/technology/IAPC/acpi/downloads.htm

Marc