Linux-Hardware Digest #318, Volume #14            Fri, 9 Feb 01 07:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: MODEM. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I GO INSANE! (Josh Stern)
  boca IOAT66 multiport serial adapter, can't change speed (j. santana)
  Re: Inexplicable crashing in Slackware and RedHat ("Robert Fleming")
  Linux support for USB mouse? ("dazer")
  Re: modem problems ("Raymond Thompson")
  CMPCI 8738 Sound Card  ("Chris Grigor")
  Re: Problem getting SMP enabled on Abit BP6 (David Wilson)
  EIZO ("LF.EPSA.UA")
  Re: Support for 3Com 3C905C NIC ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Sound card DMA & Mem. Address? ("tim")
  Re: Support for 3Com 3C905C NIC ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: CMPCI 8738 Sound Card  ("Peter T. Breuer")
  ALSA midiplaying issues (Kevin Walter Rogovin)
  Partition help please ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Getting the Pentium III Id Howto? (Maik Hassel)
  Re: Problem with Soundblaster PCI 128 (Thor Kristoffersen)
  Re: 3.1g drive on 486? (Andrew Hately)
  ESS1879 on notebook ("Fabrizio Giannotti")
  via ac97 sound drivers for linux ("alik blochin")
  hdparm -t "reference values" (Alberto BARSELLA)
  Dual Athlon and 64bit 66MHz pci chipsets? (Frits Kuijlman)
  Re: CMPCI 8738 Sound Card  ("Chris Grigor")
  USB Scanner Canon N650U ("Markus Kiener")

Subject: Re: MODEM. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I GO INSANE!
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Josh Stern)
Date: 09 Feb 2001 04:20:16 GMT

According to this page:

http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/20010205a.html

some of the Jaton modems which are ISA based are compatible
and the PCI ones do not seem to be.  If you have a PCI modem,
somebody probably lied to you.  If you have an ISA modem, then
the info /proc/pci is not relevant.

-= Josh

------------------------------

From: j. santana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: boca IOAT66 multiport serial adapter, can't change speed
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 04:20:39 GMT

I'm testing two multiserial cards, one a Boca IOAT66 ISA card, and the
other a custom made PCI one. With both card I have this problem:
they insist in working only at 115200bps, no matter what speed I set
with stty. What am I missing here ?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Robert Fleming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Inexplicable crashing in Slackware and RedHat
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 21:35:12 -0700

Ezra;

Regarding your problem I see some things that people are leaving out of the
discussion.  First off you have a machine that is periodically stoping at
random.  They state that it could be memory or temp.  I suggest that you
check the settings in your bios for memory timings, cas/ras, and make sure
they are right.  Some memory will run stable for a while if these are not
set right but it will cause heating problems inside the memory where you
can't measure at which point you could loose a chip.   Second make sure that
you aren't overclocking you memory bus this will freak out the memory after
a short time due to the same heating issues.
If windows is running stable figure out what is not being used that is being
mounted or used when the machines is running slackware or redhat.
Another thing is that problem I hear about you haveing to replug cables
during run time when the machines bus is live.  This will fry things unless
you have scsi devices that were designed to run and be unplugged.   Hot
swapping is only as good as the hardware is.
IF you have cables that are coming loose during computer use hot glue them
in.  This is something that I have seen from time to time with cd's
floppies, etc.  This will keep the cable in place.  If you are reaching into
the machine while it's running don't.   Nothing is worse on a machine that
sticking your electrically charged hand into a system that is more sensative
to electrical current when it is operating than when it is off.
Make sure that you read the specs or contact your manufacturers as to
whether or not you have to keep the power cable plugged in while you
assemble or disassemble the machine.  Some motherboards are designed to
fault to a ground situation while the power is off so that it will let the
arc flow out of the system without damaging things.
Sun Mircosystems requires this for some applications so its a good and bad
thing all at the same time.

Robert Fleming
Systems Administrator.

------------------------------

From: "dazer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux support for USB mouse?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 23:04:09 -0600

Hi,
    I am running RedHat Linux 7.  Recently, I got a new USB mouse from
Logitech (the iFeel mouse at
http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/productoverview.cfm/79)

    After plugging the mouse in and starting up Linux, mouseconfig was run
automatically (while passing the "Checking for new hardware" phase), and I
chose the Generic 3-button (USB) mouse from the selection menu.  I know that
the extra features of the iFeel mouse won't work (ie. vibration), but I
can't even use the mouse in XWindows anymore!!!  Before I had a PS/2 mouse,
and it was working fine.  Of course, I see a mouse pointer in XWindows in
the middle of the screen, but I can't move it nor clicking on anything.
When I restart my system, I got the message "Mouse console service [FAILED]"
    I just want to have the mouse working in normal mode (no iFeel feature,
just being able to use it like any other generic mouse out there).  Anyone
out there has anything to add?  All suggestions/comments are appreciated.

------------------------------

From: "Raymond Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.dev.newbie,linux.redhat.ppp,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: modem problems
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 00:26:35 -0600

David Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <UJ0g6.4976$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> "rosemary.kidd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

. Your best bet is to use an
> > external
> > modem, which are all compatible with linux.
> >
> > Dougie

    Does it have to be an external modem? I should think that any internal
modem, as well, that's not a Winmodem, would work. I had no luck gettting a
Winmodem to work under Linux too; and so I swapped the Winmodem out for
another (non-Winmodem) internal modem from the same manufacturer. Worked
fine!

------------------------------

From: "Chris Grigor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CMPCI 8738 Sound Card
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 08:59:26 +0200

Hey there all

Firstly let me start by saying that I now have no hair left because I have
pulled it out from stressing over this sound card .
If you modprobe cmpci this is the result

root@vader:/usr/src/linux# modprobe cmpci four_ch=1
/lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/soundcore.o: unresolved symbol
request_module_R27e4dc04
/lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/soundcore.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/soundcore.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/soundcore.o: insmod cmpci failed
root@vader:/usr/src/linux#

Anyone have any ideas? Im new to installing this type card.......any help
would be appreciated

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Problem getting SMP enabled on Abit BP6
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Wilson)
Date: 9 Feb 2001 15:40:06 +1100

"Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Lord Bane wrote:
>>
>> I'm running an Abit BP6 dual Celeron system and when I enable SMP mode in
>> the 2.2.18 kernel it refuses to find and initialize the hpt366 controller.
>> It seems to do something weird with IRQ assignments (ie NICs go to IRQ 16,
>> 17 from IRQ 7,10) and refuses to recognize the HPT controller (ide2) on IRQ
>> 11.

The weird IRQ assignments are controlled by the MPS setting in the BIOS.
If you change from 1.4 to 1.1 it will be a normal 0..15 range. This only
affects SMP so explains why you have no problems in UP mode.

>The 2.4.1 kernel source has support for both off board and on board eide
>(udma 66/100) controllers.  BTW are you one of the lucky ones not having
>problems with the HPT 366 controller?  I disconnected mine (Abit bp6
>also) and plugged in a pci Promise 100.

My BP6 (2x 433MHz @ 66MHz FSB) has no problems (that I have detected) with
3 Seagate drives running on the HPT366. 2.4.0 works fine.
--
David Wilson  School of IT & CS, Uni of Wollongong, Australia

------------------------------

From: "LF.EPSA.UA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EIZO
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 09:08:39 +0100

Sorry: my English is very bud.

I need the scheme of the Eizo/Nanao ScreenManager Pro conection.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Support for 3Com 3C905C NIC
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 07:35:55 GMT

Ed  Hourigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 23:28:55 +0100, "Peter T. Breuer"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Use the kernel driver, not 3com's.

> Do you mean use 'alias eth0 3c59x' in conf.modules?   Or should I

If you load modules that way, yes, by all means do that.

> remove 'alias eth0' line from modules.conf altogether?

Why? It might be a help while debugging, I suppose ... you can always
load the drivers by hand.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "tim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound card DMA & Mem. Address?
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 00:29:31 -0800

How does one determine the DMA channel and memory address of one's sound
card?  My card is a Crystal CS4281, if that helps.  Also, I am using W2K/W98
for the moment.

Thank you bunches!

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 07:35:56 GMT

Ed  Hourigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 14:55:21 -0600, "rdlittle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>My computer has this card.  It works just fine under Linux however, I am
>>using RH 7.0  Support for this card is an option when configuring for a new
>>kernel.
>>Is it possible that Mandrake 7.2 has the same provisions?

> I am somewhat new to Linux.  What does 'configuring for a new kernel'
> mean?

It's a normal english phrase, with a couple of words elided. In longhand:
"when doing the configuring preparatory to compiling a new kernel".

Compare "when clearing up for lunch".

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CMPCI 8738 Sound Card
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 07:45:57 GMT

Chris Grigor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey there all

> Firstly let me start by saying that I now have no hair left because I have
> pulled it out from stressing over this sound card .
> If you modprobe cmpci this is the result

> root@vader:/usr/src/linux# modprobe cmpci four_ch=1
> /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/soundcore.o: unresolved symbol
> request_module_R27e4dc04

You compiled it wrong. Your module has versioning information in the
symbols, and your kernel doesn't. Or your kernel was compiled without
module support at all!!!!

How come request module is the only undefined function call, you should
ask yourself.

> /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/soundcore.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/soundcore.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc/soundcore.o: insmod cmpci failed
> root@vader:/usr/src/linux#

Peter

------------------------------

From: Kevin Walter Rogovin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ALSA midiplaying issues
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 03:30:46 -0500

Hi All,

        Was wondering if anyone had the following also happen to them: I
have an SBLive!, running Redhat6.2, installed the latest ALSA to use the
soud stuff.. now I got the midi to work and such _BUT_ there are a few
anomolies:

 (1) when I use playmidi -a thesong.mid the instruments seem a little out
of tune, nt terribly so, but definitly so.

 (2) same thing happens when I use pmidi

now the sound font I load is the same one I use under my win98 enviroment
and the tuning there is ok, so I know the soudfont is ok (itds the
4megabyte soundfont that comes with the card)

anyone have any suggestions?

 -Kevin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Partition help please
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 09:43:00 GMT

I wonder if anybody can offer guidance.

Long story.  I installed RH7 on a Digital Hinote Ultra2000.  Because
the CD I have is not bootable, and the 2000 can only have floppy OR
Cdrom installed, I copied the CD onto a Windows partition, and
installed from there.

Subsequently I was given a Turbolinux CD which booted ok, and I let it
auto-configure the partitions, which blew away the win partition.

I now want to re-install win95, but can't fdisk.  It recognises the
primary partition, but tells me it can't delete the secondary partition
because it has logical drives; when I try to "delete logical drives" in
the secondary partition it tells me there aren't any.

Any suggestions would be very warmly welcomed.

Thanks for your patience in reading this ramble.

Mike
You can do anything you like with people if you will just save them the
trouble of thinking

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Maik Hassel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Getting the Pentium III Id Howto?
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:08:12 +0100

Hi!

I would like to read my Pentium III ID (serial-number) with a
c-function!
Is this possible? And how?

Thanks for any hints
  Maik

------------------------------

From: Thor Kristoffersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with Soundblaster PCI 128
Date: 09 Feb 2001 11:16:22 +0100

Alan writes:
> Sounds like a problem with your AC97 Codec not getting initialized correctly
> or just not working (hence the src lockup and no codec vendor ID)...Have you
> ever had the card working with Windows?

No, I haven't tried that as I never use Windows.

> Have you actually powered down the machine for a few minutes and then
> tried again?

Yes, I have also tried to take out the card and insert it in another slot.

> I assume that since its a 5880 its on the motherboard, not a card?

No, it is a card.  I bought it as a "Soundblaster PCI 128".  The card is
marked CT4810, but the chip on the card is a CT5880.

>  It may be a rare Codec init. bug in the linux driver seeing as the
> driver was written for the 137x cards not the 5880, although it should
> work for it...  Hope that helps....

I have also tried the ALSA drivers, but I get the same error message about
"sample rate converter timeout".

Thor

------------------------------

From: Andrew Hately <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3.1g drive on 486?
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 10:19:14 GMT

ra300z wrote:

>  have a 486 running Red Hat 6.2.  Unfortunately the computer will not
> recognize a hard drive greater than about 1 gig.  Is there any way to
> update the BIOS to get the machine to recognize a 3.1 gig harddrive?

Don't bother. Tell the bios its small and then add the real geometry in
lilo.conf
If your disk is C cyls, H heads and S sectors, then tell the bios the truth
about H and S and reduce C to 1024.
See lilo user guide for details.
To determine CHS boot linux from a floppy and use dmesg and/or fdisk -l
Also works for > 8.4GB problems

Andrew

------------------------------

From: "Fabrizio Giannotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ESS1879 on notebook
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:33:42 +0100

I have a COMPAQ Armada 7400 notebook with Slackware 7.0
I cannot hear anything but I am quite sure that sound driver are
installed correctely. i tried alsa and oss, I don't get any error,
interrupts seems to be sent to the card (/proc/interrupts), the mixers work,
the wav player too, I am using es18xx module for alsa and after I tried
sb module as explained in the sound-ESS1068 HOWTO (Compaq
says to use this driver). It seem that all channel are muted but the mixer
works and I hear the speaker with different volume set.
Only one strange think: es1868-79 are Plug and Play device
but isapnp says that it can't find any pnp device. I think this happens
becauso is a
laptop and pnp is disabled but I can't go into bios setup.

Someone can help me?

Fabrizio

------------------------------

From: "alik blochin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: via ac97 sound drivers for linux
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:45:24 +0200

Hi i would like to know where i can get
the linux sound drivers for Via AC97 onchip sound card ?
except for paying for this at Opensound org.
Thanks in advance
--
Best regards
ALik Blochin

------------------------------

From: Alberto BARSELLA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: hdparm -t "reference values"
Date: 09 Feb 2001 12:20:44 +0100

Hi all,
        I've installed yesterday a new motherboard+processor: a MSI
K7T Pro 2-A.  Now my Udma66 disk really works as Udma66, but the
transfer rate is slow.  I get around 4.1-4.3 Mb/second, which is not
what I expected (I had more with the old Ali15xx chipset).
I've tweaked a bit the settings with hdparm, notably hdparm -c 3
/dev/hda, which raises the performance into the 6-7 Mb/sec range.
Still, I'm surprised that a modern 20Gb seagate disk does not perform
significantly better than my old 4 Gig Quantum fireball....
(BTW after the -c 3 I had the system freeze during a kernel recompile,
can it be related?)

What are some "reference values" I should expect with this chipset/hd
setup? (I'm running 2.2.17, and I'll compile the latest 2.4 as soon as
possible!).

Bye and thanks,
Alberto
--
Alberto BARSELLA
PGP fingerprint = 13 3F 22 D2 0B 0A D3 25  F1 89 FE B5 82 AD 75 2A

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frits Kuijlman)
Subject: Dual Athlon and 64bit 66MHz pci chipsets?
Date: 9 Feb 2001 12:49:26 +0100

I have been looking at hardware for a new linux cluster we intend to purchase
within a few months. What we would like to have is a cluster of dual Athlon
boxes connected via Myrinet. To be able to use Myrinet effectively it would
be nice if we could have at least one 64bit 66MHz pci slot per board.

I have looked around a lot, but I can't find very much definitive info on this.
There is almost no info on the AMD 760MP chipset, and the same holds for the
VIA KX266 chipset. Future versions of VIA chipsets seem to support the PCI-X
standard, which, if implemented, should provide even faster pci slots.

Does anybody have any info/urls on chipsets for Athlons that are about to
hit the market which have fast pci slots?

At the moment our only option seems to be boards with Serverworks chipsets and
Intel PIII processors, which would be a bit less cost effective than an Athlon
solution.

Thanks,
        Frits
--
Frits Kuijlman                     F.Kuijlman@{its,cs,twi}.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology                        The Netherlands

------------------------------

From: "Chris Grigor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:02:58 +0200

He he

sorry all who have read this but I guess I should compile my kernel
correctly first !!!
All is working

DC

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Markus Kiener" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB Scanner Canon N650U
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:52:28 +0100

Hello!

Does anyone know how to install an USB scanner?
I have installed  Mandrake 7.2 and KDE ....

Thanks for any hint (or link to beginner's documentation) in advance!
           Markus