From: Travis Casey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem problems
Crossposted-To:
linux.dev.newbie,linux.redhat.ppp,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 02:59:56 GMT

Raymond Thompson wrote:
> > "rosemary.kidd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> . Your best bet is to use an
> > > external
> > > modem, which are all compatible with linux.
>
>     Does it have to be an external modem? I should think that any internal
> modem, as well, that's not a Winmodem, would work. I had no luck gettting
> a Winmodem to work under Linux too; and so I swapped the Winmodem out for
> another (non-Winmodem) internal modem from the same manufacturer. Worked
> fine!

Nope... doesn't have to be external.  I've used several different US
Robotics internal modems with Linux.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

------------------------------

From: Tor Arne Bratli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TV-out for Geforce2 in XFree 4.02...?
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 03:06:16 GMT

Hi,

has anybody here succeeded in getting functional TV-out for a
Geforce2-based card in XFree 4.02?? I've installed the latest Nvidia
drivers (0.9.6) and have searched everywhere (newsgroups, websites etc.)
I could think of for a hint on how to enable TV-out, to no avail :(

I assume there is the possibility of just setting the screen to 800x600
at 50Hz, and see what happens (in case TV-out is automatically enabled
at the right sync-frequency), but I'm no expert at calculating modelines
for XFree, so I'm kinda lost on that one ... If you know the right
modeline for a PAL 50Hz TV, *please* give it to me, and I'll be forever
grateful(!).

With the exception of the "missing TV-out feature", I would say the
purchase is a definite success: I got the card (Geforce2 Pro from
CardExpert) yesterday and installed it last evening (I'm still sitting
here when it's past 04:00 in the morning), and everything (including
3d-support) is now installed and working perfectly - I even got OMS from
Livid to compile and could view my "Matrix" DVD with just about no
framedrop in 1024x768 fullscreen: Awesome! If only those Hollywood guys
would realize that giving people like me access to a DVD-player in my
preferred OS makes us more likely to buy movies ... Well, maybe
someday...

Any help with solving the above mentioned "problem" would be
appreciated!

Best regards,
Tor Arne

--
Tor Arne Bratli
Developer  -- programming games on my spare time, business programming

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Sweetser)
Subject: Re: win2k and linux
Date: 10 Feb 2001 03:29:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>You must use Win2k loader to load both (see howto).
>         ^^^^^
>Could you explain why ? I think one can use either NTLDR or use lilo.

Yup - I've got lilo booting linux and win2k professional on my laptop.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu, fs at suave.net  | $ x 15
Full-time WPI Network Tech, Part time Linux/Perl guy |

------------------------------

From: Tim Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,it.comp.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Diamond Viper II X problems (S3 2000)
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 20:18:18 -0800

Tomasz G Drozda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Athlon 850 w/ Dimaond Viper II (Savage2000), MAG DJ530 Monitor (on RH list, so
>i hope this is not a problem)
>EXACT SAME PROBLEM.
>RH7.0 installs fine in X; i get a nice X log-in screen; As soon as Gnome or KDE
>loads the screen gets "scribbled"
>Still looking for a solution. Any help, suggestions would be appreciated

If you're willing to upgrade to XFree86 4.0.2, the Savage driver on my
website (http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html) should do a much better
job.

RedHat 7.0 ships with XFree86 4.0.1, and the new Savage driver needs
features only present in 4.0.2.
--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

------------------------------

From: Tim Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Digital LCD monitor and digital video card
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 20:49:01 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience using LCD monitor
>with digital video card through digital input
>signal without using any analog signal conversion?
>In order to maximize the benefit of LCD monitor's digital
>feature, I think it is desirable to use digital video card instead
>of analog one.

The difference is not noticeable to human eyes.

>I tried to buy SGI 1600SW LCD monitor with 3D Lab's Oxygen
>VX1-1600SW video card, but my co-worker told me they have
>some problem with Linux.

The S3 Savage4 chip has a digital flat panel connector and is supported by
XFree86.

From: Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compaq Proliant1500 - Troubles with RAM
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 04:51:00 GMT

Of the top of my head ;-)  I wonder if the server was properly set up.
These servers do not report all their memory until after setup has
been run.

The 1500 is an EISA bus server that has to have the setup program run
and should (must) have the maintenance partition installed.  I did not
see Linux listed on the 1600 I was setting up today but I did see SCO
Unix so I would tell the server to configure for that.   I do not know
what it would optimize on the BIOS level for that but it may help you.
I would take the default ptions for any other choices.

  I would also check the Compaq www site for whitepapers on installing
UNIX as well as LINUX.

FWIW
Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Mundt)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: No Dialtone, Please help
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 05:43:29 GMT

        Greetings and Salutations..

"ToxicBoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The key here is "no dial tone"
>
>Which would make me wonder if the phone line is plugged into the modem. I
>know this sounds silly....but ya never know...
>
>Is the phone line good?
>Can you plug a phone into THAT line, and get a dial tone?
>
>Every time I had a "no dial tone" msg it was something to do w/the phone
>line...

        This is a good point.  Also, FWIW, I find that a number of modems
these days have isolation between the "line" jack and the "phone"
jack, so, if one plugs the phone line into the "phone" jack, the modem
will not see it.
        regards
        Dave Mundt

        *snip*

Remove the "REMOVE_THIS_" from my email address to get to me...
I hate Cullers who gather from newsgroups

Visit my home page at http://www.esper.com/xvart/index.html

------------------------------

From: Bill & Avis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie question
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 01:01:13 -0500

Others have answered the hardware issues adequatelyt but I would like to
put in a vote for the MMX system to run Mandrake 7.2 ... in particular
since you are a newbie. The MDK install is probvably easier than a Windows
install. Honest!

Save the 486 until you get comfortable with Linux and then use it for a
firewall / print server ... anything fairly lightweight and with little
need for graphics. AFter setting it up for that you could even unplug the
monitor ;-)

Bill

------------------------------

From: Allen Crider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Postscript Printer Blues
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 22:14:30 -0800

see http://www.linuxprinting.org

------------------------------

From: Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: PCI: "the same IRQ is used by device" problem
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 22:46:14 -0800

When I had a similar problem with my PCI and my HPT366 controller, I had
to patch and configure the kernel to make it work.

OLD:

kernel 2.2.14

NEW:

kernel 2.2.16
+ HPT366 patch (see HPT366 How-To)
+ latest serial driver from SourceForge (5.05)

------------------------------

From: Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.dev.newbie,linux.redhat.ppp,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 22:49:53 -0800

I had a 'device busy' problem with my internal USR modem 5610 until I
upgraded the drivers associated with the devices that shared the same IRQ.

OLD:

kernel 2.2.10

NEW:

kernel 2.2.16
+ HPT366 patch
+ serial 5.05 from SourceForge

All has been working great since!!!!

------------------------------

From: "Xavier Neils" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.verilog
Subject: Verilog/VHDL SVGA Driver
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 23:02:44 -0800

Hello All,

I would like to get a hold of some Verilog/VHDL code that
can draw pixels to a Super VGA monitor.  So far, the material
I have deals only with VGA.

Xave

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Modem connects, but I can't use it.
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 07:32:01 GMT

Check your DNS definition !!!

This was the anwser I got for the same problem your having.

I need to enter my ISP's Primary DNS in the KPPP utility, in the account
set up.

Now it works like a charm.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Please visit my 3D graphics site
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 09:29:51 GMT

Robert Francois wrote:

> http://www.geocities.com/bernardfrancois_1999
>
> --
> Greetz,
>
> Bernard Fran=E7ois - http://www.geocities.com/bernardfrancois_1999

Netscape won't run your web site.

Please have it W3C certified.

JRT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Please Help: NIC & IDE2
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 09:52:31 GMT

Hi All,

I'm at the verge of tears here.  A week ago I bought a computer with
the following:

VIA Apollo KT133A chipset MB with Athlon 750
Promise UATA controller for UATA/100
WD 20GB HD (/dev/hde)

The @Home cable person gave me a Kingston NIC (DEC 21041 chipset).
It seems as though one can use either tulip or de4x5 driver for this.
Please correct me.

Now, the NIC is in PCI slot 2.  BIOS has PNP turned off, but there is
no ACPI entry in there.  Anyway, the IRQ it usually gets assigned is
10.  But I can never bring the connection up (ifup eth0).  Here's what
I always see in dmesg:

de4x5_open(): Requested IRQ11 is busy - attemping FAST/SHARE...
              Cannot get IRQ- reconfigure your hardware.
de4x5_open(): Requested IRQ11 is busy - attemping FAST/SHARE...
              Cannot get IRQ- reconfigure your hardware.

Don't be alarmed - I had set IRQ11 aside for this slot during this
attempt.  I did that because cat /proc/interrupts always showed ide2
demanding IRQ10.  In this particular attempt, with manually setting the
IRQ to 11 from the BIOS, cat /proc/interrupts showed me that ide2 is
sitting happily having claimed IRQ 11.

This was happening when the card was in PCI slot 5 as well (where the
SBLive! is now).

Please help me. I'm running Mandrake 7.2 (2.2.17 kernel - stock).

Thanks,

Trin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/