From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: external modem
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:11:14 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> The cable is most likely an 'old style' serial cable, and it does not
> >> work in the parallel port. There are adaptors that allow you to connect
> >> it to the serial port.
> > The modem has a parallel port, it is made so you can use it wiht either
>
> No modem has a parallel port .. that's nonsense. It's a 25 pin serial
> cable plug.

Perhaps you would care to tell the people at compaq of such 'nonsense'.
Looking at the back of the modem there are two ports, one labeled serial,
the other parallel. Quote from the owners manual: "SERIAL OR PARALLEL
INTERFACE? Your modem gives you the option of using a serial or parallel
cable to connect the modem to the computer. The advantage of the parallel
port is that it can transmit data faster, with far fewer error between your
modem and computer. If you are using your Compaq Microcom 510 exclusively
for data communications and running Windows 95, you should always connect it
to the parallel port. This ensures data integrity and helps prevent dropped
characters."
They probably labelled the modem, and put that entry in the owners manual
just for shits & giggles. In fact they probably laugh about it every day.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: Speedway ISDN TA
Date: 11 Feb 2001 14:11:56 GMT

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:00:24, Darren Davison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> has anyone used an external Speedway TA (badged British Telecom, made by
> Siemens I think) with Linux?
>
> There is very scant info on it on the web - BT are non-commital about my
> chances, someone told me it was based on winmodem and I had no chance.
> I know people have got the Speedway PCI card working ok, but this is an
> external unit with serial/USB connection.

External TA's usually emulate a modem and respond to a reduced but
fairly standard AT command set. I have a 3Com Impact II and that uses
things like ATDnnnnnn to dial a number. Try connecting it up and
firing up a terminal emulation program and sending a few AT commands
to it. Some modems respond to AT? with help for example...

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:31:30 +0100

Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > The modem has a parallel port, it is made so you can use it wiht either
>>
>> No modem has a parallel port .. that's nonsense. It's a 25 pin serial
>> cable plug.

> Perhaps you would care to tell the people at compaq of such 'nonsense'.
> Looking at the back of the modem there are two ports, one labeled serial,
> the other parallel. Quote from the owners manual: "SERIAL OR PARALLEL
> INTERFACE? Your modem gives you the option of using a serial or parallel

"It's impossible"; The parallel port is unidirectional (fire and forget).
(ducks). Yes, modern parallel ports have extra modes in which you
can read both ways. Don't rely on it. If compaq have done that, it's
probably requires a special parallel port too ....

> cable to connect the modem to the computer. The advantage of the parallel
> port is that it can transmit data faster, with far fewer error between your

And the disadvantage is that you can't connect it to a normal modem,
since that uses the serial interface.  And if you have such a "modem"
with a "parallel" interface, you can't connect it to a serial port,
which is where all operating systems are expecting to talk to it at.

> modem and computer. If you are using your Compaq Microcom 510 exclusively
> for data communications and running Windows 95, you should always connect it
> to the parallel port. This ensures data integrity and helps prevent dropped
> characters."

And of course, you are running a compaq microcom 510 exclusively under
windows 95 (with their added drivers), right?

> They probably labelled the modem, and put that entry in the owners manual
> just for shits & giggles. In fact they probably laugh about it every day.

They collect money from it - as do the people who bundle tape
recorders with radios. Everybody is very happy, until the customer
finds out he's bought an addled goose egg.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Alexei V klimenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Consensys RAIDZONE SmartCan Disk Array
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:41:49 GMT

Hi!

I did not ever expect to encounter a problem
of some hardware not to be supported by Linux
but it looks like this day had come.

I tried several different kernels with several
different patches and I still can't make 'subj'
work.

I really need some help here.

I saw the information, that there exist patches
only for 2.2.5. 2.2.13 and 2.2.16 but I never
found the patches themselve.

May be it should be supported by 2.4.1 already,
cause there is RAID support included. The only
problems is that there is no module for the
RAIDZONE SmartCan disk array controller itself
and I have no idea where to get it.

www.raidzone.com must be runned by sales department
and therefore totally useless.

--
BW,
  ak

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Warren S Baker III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USR 3CP5610A - Modem won't work
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:05:15 -0500

Edward J. Stammer wrote:

> Unfortunately, this modem is reported to not work with any version of
> Linux that does not have Kernel 2.3 or higher.  Unfortunately, there is no
> current release of Linux that uses Kernel 2.3 or higher.  Just wait, and
> it will be out.  I am having the exact same problem.  If I find anything,
> I will let you know what I found.
>
> Ed
>

> Andy Judge wrote:
>

>> I have the USER 3CP5610A modem on Mnadrake 7.2 and can't make it work.
>
> It
>
>> shows up in hard drake, but when I try to configure it, hard drake stares
>> that it can't configure a win.  This isn't a win and I have tried the
>> following based on my /proc/pci:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>   Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
>>     Serial controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 1).
>>       Vendor id=12b9 Device id=1008
>> Medium devsel.  IRQ 9  I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc01]
>> </snip>
>>
>> setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 9 port 0xdc00 autoconfig
>>
>> setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 9 port 0xdc00 ^fourport ^auto_irq skip_test
>> autoconfig spd_vhi
>>
>> proc/interrupts yields:
>>            CPU0
>>   0:      32694          XT-PIC  timer
>>   1:         75          XT-PIC  keyboard
>>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>>   4:          3          XT-PIC  serial
>>   5:       3365          XT-PIC  EMU10K1
>>   8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
>>   9:          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci
>>  11:        263          XT-PIC  eth0
>>  12:       2313          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>>  13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
>>  14:      16095          XT-PIC  ide0
>>  15:         10          XT-PIC  ide1
>> NMI:          0
>>
>> Procinfo yeilds:
>> irq  0:     47053 timer                     irq  8:         2 rtc
>> irq  1:        75 keyboard                irq  9:         0 usb-uhci,
>> usb-uhci
>> irq  2:         0 cascade [4]              irq 11:       331 eth0
>> irq  3:         3                                  irq 12:      2313 PS/2
>> Mouse
>> irq  4:         3 serial                        irq 13:         1 fpu
>> irq  5:      3365 EMU10K1            irq 14:     16617 ide0
>> irq  6:         2                                  irq 15:        10 ide1
>>

>> Neither setserial commands work.  Also, the IRQ appears to be unused by
>
> any
>
>> other device.  proc/interrupts  seems to say  there is a problem  w/
>> conflicting USB, but I disabled the USB support in the bios and it didn't
>> help?  But doesn't IRQ 9 get re-wired to the 8-bit slot connector in
>
> place
>
>> of IRQ 2 so 8-bit cards can treat IRQ9 as IRQ 2?  Can anyone point me in
>
> the
>
>> right direction?  Thxs.
>>

>> Andy

I'm not expert enough to point you in the right direction but I can
offer encouragement. This modem is NOT a WinModem. I am, as I type this,
connected to my ISP using a USR/3Com 5610 FaxModem.

00:03.0 Serial controller:\
US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
          Subsystem: US Robotics/3Com: Unknown device 00a2
          Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 3
          I/O ports at 2478

I too, initially, had problems configuring this modem. Essentially, I
used lspci -v to determine the IRQ and port address. That done I had to
use setserial to make it actually work. As I recall this was relatively
straight-forward once I remembered to use hex values :-). The command
line was, in my case, something like...

setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart 16550A port 0x2478 irq 3

At that point the device worked. Naturally, it was necessary to set the
init process up to execute this during boot up. On my distribution
(SuSE) that meant enabling the serial script (/sbin/init.d/serial) to
configure the modem manually. Of course, I did not have any conflicts to
deal with. Subsequently I did try to add a SCSI card to my system and
was never able to make it work simulataneously with the modem. It seemed
to disable the modem (it appeared busy) anytime I enabled the SCSI card.
I was never able to resolve the conflict and ultimately removed the SCSI
card. But, bottom line is that this modem card did work but had to be
manually configured. So, unless your modem is different than mine, there
is hope.

Warren

------------------------------

From: "Heath Doane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:52:28 GMT

<snip>

> "It's impossible"; The parallel port is unidirectional (fire and forget).
> (ducks). Yes, modern parallel ports have extra modes in which you
> can read both ways. Don't rely on it. If compaq have done that, it's
> probably requires a special parallel port too ....

Uh, Peter, Parallel port scanners, parallel port hard drives, PLIP - There
are a number of uses for the humble LPT port that are bidirectional,
including most modern printers.   Any serial port that is less then about 5
years old will be either EPP or ECP or both, which allows bi-di
communications.

> And the disadvantage is that you can't connect it to a normal modem,
> since that uses the serial interface.  And if you have such a "modem"
> with a "parallel" interface, you can't connect it to a serial port,
> which is where all operating systems are expecting to talk to it at.

I agree that the serial port is the 'standard' place to put it, and I can't
make a good case to install it on a parallel port (it's fixing a
non-problem - see my other post for the why's) but it is certainly a valid
way of interconnecting, if not non-standard.

   YMMV

 Heath

------------------------------

From: "Heath Doane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:54:15 GMT

"Heath Doane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:MGxh6.63519$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snip>
>
> > "It's impossible"; The parallel port is unidirectional (fire and
forget).
> > (ducks). Yes, modern parallel ports have extra modes in which you
> > can read both ways. Don't rely on it. If compaq have done that, it's
> > probably requires a special parallel port too ....
>
> Uh, Peter, Parallel port scanners, parallel port hard drives, PLIP - There
> are a number of uses for the humble LPT port that are bidirectional,
> including most modern printers.   Any serial port that is less then about
5
> years old will be either EPP or ECP or both, which allows bi-di
> communications.

Oops - This is why I should re-read, then send, not the other way round -
any PARALLEL PORT that's less then 5 years old.....

------------------------------

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:21:45 GMT

> I agree that the serial port is the 'standard' place to put it, and I
can't
> make a good case to install it on a parallel port (it's fixing a
> non-problem - see my other post for the why's) but it is certainly a valid
> way of interconnecting, if not non-standard.
>
>    YMMV
>
>  Heath
I intend to go to Radio Shack today and buy the serial cable. It just
irritates me when people dont respond to the question that was posted. For
example last week I asked how to tell if my modem was PCI or ISA, the
response I got was dont bother, just go buy an external modem. What the hell
is that? If I wasnt looking for an answer to a question I wouldnt post one.
Know what I mean? By the way what does YMMV stand for?
Dave

------------------------------

From: "Heath Doane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:31:52 GMT

Morning Dave,

    Easy one first - YMMV - Your Milage May Vary...   kind of shorthand for
saying "It worked for me, but all bets are off."

    Like any public forum, there are many people here, who while trying to
help, often have a hard time splitting personal bias from fact.   As an
example, I'd never hook up a modem via parallel myself, but I have two
options in using that when replying to your message - 1) "It's stupid.  You
can't use the parallel port." - or 2) Try and explain what my experiences
have been, and what I'd do.

   Another factor does come into play;  since this is a world-wide medium,
there are sometimes product configurations in one part of the world that
aren't in others.  Peter very well may have never seen a parallel port
modem; and the idea of one is a little odd.

   For the most part, people do try to help each other; but there's a lot of
quick answers spewed forth too - sometimes helpfull but terse, sometimes
less than that....

And, actually, you got me thinking about using the parallel connection... ;)
Are you using a seperate parallel port, or the same one as your printer?
If it's the same port, it's possible that the LPR daemon is interferring...

   Heath

news:d6yh6.2082$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Peter Christy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: via ac97 sound drivers for linux
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:47:06 +0000

hac wrote:
> I'm listening to mp3's right now.  ASUS A7V133, 2.4.1.  Sometimes it
> works, and sometimes it's really distorted.  Flipping between console
> windows, one running X, seems to toggle it.  And it's really loading
> down the system.  Something's not right.

If you are running kde, turn off the arts server. That seems to cure the
distortion, as well as a lot of other ills!

--
Pete

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:59:33 GMT

>     Like any public forum, there are many people here, who while trying to
> help, often have a hard time splitting personal bias from fact.   As an
> example, I'd never hook up a modem via parallel myself, but I have two
> options in using that when replying to your message - 1) "It's stupid.
You
> can't use the parallel port." - or 2) Try and explain what my experiences
> have been, and what I'd do.
>
>    Another factor does come into play;  since this is a world-wide medium,
> there are sometimes product configurations in one part of the world that
> aren't in others.  Peter very well may have never seen a parallel port
> modem; and the idea of one is a little odd.
>
>    For the most part, people do try to help each other; but there's a lot
of
> quick answers spewed forth too - sometimes helpfull but terse, sometimes
> less than that....

You are right and I am extremely frustrated. So I apologize to peter.

> And, actually, you got me thinking about using the parallel connection...
;)
> Are you using a seperate parallel port, or the same one as your printer?
> If it's the same port, it's possible that the LPR daemon is
interferring...

>    Heath
I am using the printer port, but I dont have a printer. I would guess that I
have the LPR daemon installed by default, so I suppose that is definately
possible. I am assuming that serial or parallel, all I have to do with an
external modem is plug it in? How would I disable the LPR daemon? I think I
would like to give this a try and see what happens. I have already spent
over $100 on modems, so if I can avoid spending any more money I would want
to take that route.

Thanks,
Dave

------------------------------

From: "Heath Doane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:05:46 GMT

<snip>

> > And, actually, you got me thinking about using the parallel
connection...
> ;)
> > Are you using a seperate parallel port, or the same one as your printer?
> > If it's the same port, it's possible that the LPR daemon is
> interferring...
> >
> >    Heath
> I am using the printer port, but I dont have a printer. I would guess that
> have the LPR daemon installed by default, so I suppose that is definately
> possible. I am assuming that serial or parallel, all I have to do with an
> external modem is plug it in? How would I disable the LPR daemon? I think
> would like to give this a try and see what happens. I have already spent
> over $100 on modems, so if I can avoid spending any more money I would
want
> to take that route.

Well, the serial route is by far the easiest to do, and I'm merely guessing
about the parallel.  What distribution do you have, what version?

 Anyway - 'fraid I'm going out for a while - good luck!

  Heath

------------------------------

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:26:25 GMT

"Heath Doane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:uLyh6.63591$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snip>
>
> Well, the serial route is by far the easiest to do, and I'm merely
guessing
> about the parallel.  What distribution do you have, what version?

Redhat 5.2

Dave

------------------------------

From: Kevin McCormick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Will Linux support a 3com ISDN Modem?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:32:20 -0600

Craig Newstrom wrote:

> Oh, good!  Thanks!
>
> I figured I'd have no problem, but just hadn't found any docs on ISDN with
> Linux.  Since I posted, I've found some how-tos.  I'm going to _try_ to
> config
> a Linux firewall, with the ISDN.
>
> -Craig
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:915oec$oe7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I used a 3Com Impact External ISDN with RH Linux 6.0 with no problem.
> >

> > In article <5lGY5.4545$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Craig Newstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I searched for docs on this at www.linux.org, and found no reference
> > > ISDN.
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me if linux will support a 3COM IPACT IQ EXTERNAL
> > ISDN MODEM
> > > 3C882?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

I have just obtained a 3Com ImpactIQ ISDN external ISDN modem,
apparently just like yours.  I have the same question you had -- How
does one set this thing up to run under Linux?  Have you had any luck,
and if so, how did you do it?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Armstrong)
Subject: Re: Asus A7V + Promise ATA100 + patch = :-(
Date: 11 Feb 2001 16:41:24 GMT

In article <966522$hg7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jan Kováø <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello.
>I have downloaded the Hendick's patches for ATA100. There were not msg about
>how to use it there. So I have read the manual for patch and tried to use it
>as written in manual. It has said:
>patch: **** strip count num is not a number
>I do not know if it is good or bad or what does it mean. I can see some hde,
>hde1, hde4, hde5 ... hdf, hdf1 ..etc in /dev

Short guide to patch usage for linux kernel source patches:

$ cd /usr/src/linux
$ patch -p1 < gunzip patch.gz

(since patches are usually shipped compressed. Substitute bunzip2 for
gunzip as appropriate.)

Phil
--
nosig

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:43:34 GMT

Peter Christy wrote:

> hac wrote:
> > I'm listening to mp3's right now.  ASUS A7V133, 2.4.1.  Sometimes it
> > works, and sometimes it's really distorted.  Flipping between console
> > windows, one running X, seems to toggle it.  And it's really loading
> > down the system.  Something's not right.
>
> If you are running kde, turn off the arts server. That seems to cure the
> distortion, as well as a lot of other ills!

I'm running GNOME.  Sound works fine under 2.2.18, I get distortion
when running 2.4.1.  But the distortion will sometimes clear up.  When
I kill esd, I get a burst of clear sound as it exits.

Looks like there's some issue with 2.4 and mixers.  I'll dig into more
if I find time, but right now the solution is to run 2.2.18.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Sma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem installing Linux Mandrake !!
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:00:45 -0500

Hi,

I`m looking for a solution to my
problem.

I have a HP Pavilion 8765c PC. This
model have a CD-Writer and a DVD.
When I boot with a linux Boot flopy
disk, I receive a message meaning that
the CD is not have a linux !!

===============ERROR=================
That CD ROM device does not seem to
contain a linux Mandrake CD Rom
=====================================
I try a solution entring this command
after the selection of F1 in the
start installation screen:
linux hdd=ide-scsi idebus=66 mem=256M
this command was insuffisant to start
the install process, because an
message meaning that the CD can`t be
mount stop me.

==============ERROR=================
I could not mount a cd on device
/dev/hdc

Please help me!

From: "Lucky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: info on AR130 internet Router
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:22:45 +0100

Has anyone used an external Internet ISDN router Allied Telesin AR130 with
Linux ?
In all other S.O. it work fine but in Linux i can't see the DNS server.
Help me please...