From: Hugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hdparm -t "reference values"
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:20:55 +0000

Fyi all -
2.4.1 kernel, Intel PIIX support and promise chipset support compiled in.
ASUS CUSL2, Piii 933, 133Mhz mboard clock.

IBM DTLA 307030 [7200rpm, ATA-100, 30Gb] - bought 4...
root@dblinuxII:/# hdparm -i /dev/hdb
... *udma5

on Intel 815e chipset (motherboard):
hdparm -tT /dev/hdb
buffer-cache reads [124.27, 136.17, 124.27] Mb/sec
buffered disk reads [35.56, 35.75, 35.96] Mb/sec
weird exact match between 1st and 3rd runs on cache-reads...

on Promise ATA100 PCi card:
cache reads [136.17, 124.27, 137.63] Mb/sec
disk reads [35.56, 35.36, 35.96] Mb/sec
124.27 is obviously a popular number..

interestingly hdb is slave on the same channel as an ATA-66, which doesn't
seem to make too much difference at teh moment [/dev/hda gets 125.49 and
25.7 Mb/sec] - would probably make more difference if trying to do
simulataneous (or overlapped - I dunno..) read/writes.
Once I get RAID 5 configured, they'll all be on a channel each - then we'll
see...

------------------------------

From: "Didier Lasne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound card DMA & Mem. Address?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:17:34 +0100

Hello,

Try to look in /proc/pci, there is some information for pci devices : irq,
memory...

Did

"tim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:10Ng6.2942$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> How does one determine the DMA channel and memory address of one's sound
> card?  My card is a Crystal CS4281, if that helps.  Also, I am using
W2K/W98

------------------------------

From: Eric Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Simple fax program
Date: 11 Feb 2001 17:39:58 GMT

Hi,

I am looking for a fax program that can simply send/receive faxes.
I have looked at Hylafax, but it seems to be an overkill.
Could someone suggest other packages that is EASY to configure
and use ?
I am running Slackware if that matters.

Thanks a million.

Best Regards,
Eric Ho

------------------------------

From: Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Vid card upgrade cuases loss of Linux
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:03:15 -0800

Heath Doane wrote:

> Hi There....
>
>    Gonna answer both questions at one shot....
>
>   For the modem, most likely your computer already has two serial ports (on
> the MoBo) - Com1 & Com2 - if you don't disable COM 2 on the main port or IO
> controller, then it will conflict with the modem, and neither will work
> right.  I'd suggest turning off the port on the mainboard - check out the
> BIOS; probably under 'integrated peripherials' - and disable port 2 / com2 /
> serial 2 or something to that effect.

        Actually, if your kernel has support for serial port IRQ sharing,
this isn't necessary.  But who the hell needs two serial ports, especially
when you already have a modem!  SO disable one anyway :)

>   As for the video card, the ATI AiW 128 is supported under current versions
> of XFree;   I'm not sure when exactly is got included, but as of RedHat 7.0
> and Mandrake 7.1 it was there.   At startup, if X comes up garbled, hit
> "Ctrl-Alt-F1" to switch to a console, login as root, and run Xconfigurator.
> Follow the prompts to re-configure your X setup...    If you're running an
> older version of X, you may need to upgrade to get the card support.

        Assuming you use LILO for booting, you can also type "linux 3" at the
prompt.  The number refers to the runlevel at which you want to start.  At
least for RedHat-derived distros (like the ones you mentioned), "3" is for
booting to the console, "5" to boot directly to XWindow.

                                                            Marcus

------------------------------

From: Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux support for USB mouse?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:09:05 -0800

dazer wrote:

> Hi,
>     I am running RedHat Linux 7.  Recently, I got a new USB mouse from
> Logitech (the iFeel mouse at
> http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/productoverview.cfm/79)
>
>     After plugging the mouse in and starting up Linux, mouseconfig was run
> automatically (while passing the "Checking for new hardware" phase), and I
> chose the Generic 3-button (USB) mouse from the selection menu.  I know that
> the extra features of the iFeel mouse won't work (ie. vibration), but I
> can't even use the mouse in XWindows anymore!!!  Before I had a PS/2 mouse,
> and it was working fine.  Of course, I see a mouse pointer in XWindows in
> the middle of the screen, but I can't move it nor clicking on anything.
> When I restart my system, I got the message "Mouse console service [FAILED]"
>     I just want to have the mouse working in normal mode (no iFeel feature,
> just being able to use it like any other generic mouse out there).  Anyone
> out there has anything to add?  All suggestions/comments are appreciated.

        There are a few possibilities here.  First, is your USB port working?
 Is it enabled in the BIOS, and does it have an IRQ assigned to it.  Second,
does your kernel have USB support?  If it's stock RH 7.0, it probably does,
but it's always hard to be sure.  Third, is X configured to see the mouse?
mouseconfig works to configure gpm (the mouse-in-the-console daemon) and I
think it configures XFree 3.3.x as well, but I'm not so sure it configures
XFree 4.0.x.  What version of X are you using?

                                                            Marcus

------------------------------

From: George Shapovalov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: proper driver for tecram dc315U?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:14:10 -0800

What's the right driver for the SCSI card Tecram DC-315U?
    On the tecram website it says, that Linux kernel contains the driver
for the card. However the only  Tecram driver that I was able to find is
for DC-390 and it does not appear to recognize the card. I also read in
the kernel help that some of Tecram cards use different chipset and
won't work with this driver. It seems I just got the case. So what's the
name for the right driver?

Thanks, George

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: external modem
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:56:56 +0100

Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I intend to go to Radio Shack today and buy the serial cable. It just
> irritates me when people dont respond to the question that was posted. For
> example last week I asked how to tell if my modem was PCI or ISA, the

Well, basically, if you can't tell (it says so on the box, the buses
are different, one is listed in /proc/pci, the other isn't, etc. etc.)
you might as well buy an external modem since the knowledge of whether
it is pci or not will advance you not one jot. So the advice is good.

> response I got was dont bother, just go buy an external modem. What the hell
> is that? If I wasnt looking for an answer to a question I wouldnt post one.

Consider that you haven't the faintest idea what you are asking. What
you are trying to ask is if your modem will work or not. Being pci
or isa doesn't tell you that - it affects the probabilities in the
absence of further knowledge; since most modems that don't work are
pci, it must be assumed, without further info, that if you have a pci
modem then it probably won't work.

> Know what I mean? By the way what does YMMV stand for?

Oh, fer goodness' sake ... check the jargon file.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:51:38 +0100

Heath Doane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <snip>

>> "It's impossible"; The parallel port is unidirectional (fire and forget).
>> (ducks). Yes, modern parallel ports have extra modes in which you
>> can read both ways. Don't rely on it. If compaq have done that, it's
>> probably requires a special parallel port too ....

> Uh, Peter, Parallel port scanners, parallel port hard drives, PLIP - There
> are a number of uses for the humble LPT port that are bidirectional,

Those aren't uses, they're abuses! Yes you can often make it work. No it
isn't reliable.

> including most modern printers.   Any serial port that is less then about 5

Parallel port (never mind).

> years old will be either EPP or ECP or both, which allows bi-di
> communications.

Except that I believe ECP doesn't have a standard, not a nonvariable one,
so that what bioses implement could be most anything. I'm not sure if EPP
has or had a stable standard either. I recall it all being discussed
previously in the Printing or PLIP howtos, but it seems to have
disappeared from tehre nowadays.

>> And the disadvantage is that you can't connect it to a normal modem,
>> since that uses the serial interface.  And if you have such a "modem"
>> with a "parallel" interface, you can't connect it to a serial port,
>> which is where all operating systems are expecting to talk to it at.

> I agree that the serial port is the 'standard' place to put it, and I can't
> make a good case to install it on a parallel port (it's fixing a
> non-problem - see my other post for the why's) but it is certainly a valid
> way of interconnecting, if not non-standard.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:00:24 +0100

Heath Doane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    For the most part, people do try to help each other; but there's a lot of

Well, not necessarily. Often active discouragemenbt is the best help
going.

> quick answers spewed forth too - sometimes helpfull but terse, sometimes
> less than that....

> And, actually, you got me thinking about using the parallel connection... ;)
> Are you using a seperate parallel port, or the same one as your printer?
> If it's the same port, it's possible that the LPR daemon is interferring...

Whether it is interfering or not is immaterial, it can interfere or not
until it or he is blue in the face. There is no standard "modem" protocol
for a parallel port, so there is no protocol to talk to the modem with, and
there are no applications to even try it with - unless you write one.
Reverse engineer the compaq driver for more info :-).

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:33:05 GMT

For
> > example last week I asked how to tell if my modem was PCI or ISA, the
>
> Well, basically, if you can't tell (it says so on the box, the buses
> are different, one is listed in /proc/pci, the other isn't, etc. etc.)
> you might as well buy an external modem since the knowledge of whether
> it is pci or not will advance you not one jot. So the advice is good.
>
> > response I got was dont bother, just go buy an external modem. What the
hell
> > is that? If I wasnt looking for an answer to a question I wouldnt post
one.

> Consider that you haven't the faintest idea what you are asking. What
> you are trying to ask is if your modem will work or not. Being pci
> or isa doesn't tell you that - it affects the probabilities in the
> absence of further knowledge; since most modems that don't work are
> pci, it must be assumed, without further info, that if you have a pci
> modem then it probably won't work.
>
> > Know what I mean? By the way what does YMMV stand for?
>
> Oh, fer goodness' sake ... check the jargon file.
>
> Peter
You are an ass! I come to a newsgroup to try to learn something, not to be
berated and made to feel ignorant by a little man who makes himself feel big
pointing out his superior knowledge. In the above example I was conversing
with someone whom had asked me whether it was PCI or ISA as they were
acutally trying to help, they have the same modem and it did work.
Dave

------------------------------

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:36:23 GMT

> They collect money from it - as do the people who bundle tape
> recorders with radios. Everybody is very happy, until the customer
> finds out he's bought an addled goose egg.
Tape recorders bundled with radios acutally work. I find it very hard to
beleive they make a product that is totally unusable, just because it adds
bells and whistles. How about you just dont respond to my posts anymore, I
am sure we will both be much happier that way!
Dave

------------------------------

From: "Chris Mumford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: ess688 performance
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:10:21 -0600

I'm configuring my Toshiba 205CDS laptop for sound support. It apparently
has an ess688 sound card. It works just fine, but I can only play 8 bit
stereo 11 KHz sound files. Any higher bitrates and the CPU gets pegged and
the sound is broken.

My theory here is that there is a "native" bitrate that the sound chip
handles, and the files that I am playing need to be converted to the native
bitrate, and that is what the CPU is doing.

Any theories here? Here's my modules.conf file:

alias net-pf-4 ipx
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
pre-install plip modprobe parport_pc ; echo 7 > /proc/parport/0/irq
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias sound-slot-0 sb
options sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fdisk -> core dumped
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 19:40:41 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [root@mysystem]# fdisk /dev/hdb
> Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or
> OSF disklabel
> Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
> until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
> content won't be recoverable.
>
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> [root@mysystem]#

I've heard about someone else with the same problem. His solution was to
run gparted which was able to write a DOS partition disklabel. Then he
was able to use fdisk to create partitions.

This is probably a bug in fdisk which seems to be unable to create new
partition tables on big disks.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX AND RAID5
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 19:58:02 +0100

vuru wrote:
> There is RAid-capable SCSI cards and raid-incapable SCSI cards!
> am I wrong?

You are at least partly wrong. You will be able to use software raid
with any SCSI card. There are also rather expensive hardware raid cards
with their own CPU and some memory for cache that use SCSI disks.

> I try to handle RAID 5 with linux red hat 7.0.

RAID5 means parity which means that it will need some CPU power. This is
where a hardware raid would be more useful. With raid 0 which only is
striping and no security software raid gives equal performance for a
much cheaper price.

> It seems that the 6 scsi drives are seen by the linux OS....
> i seen sda, sdb.....in dmesg file :)))))))
> how could i sure test that the raid is nicely handled and configured?
>
> Can you give me references or advices to configure it!

For hardware raid, read your manual. Linux will probably see all disks
as only one SCSI disk. For software raid, read the Software-RAID
miniHowTo.

regards Henrik

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Support for 3Com 3C905C NIC
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 20:08:36 +0100

Ed Hourigan wrote:
> The card is from 3COM - model 3C905C.
> I obtained the driver source from 3com's web site and built it.
> The eth0 interface will not come up using this driver.

I was also unable to use the 3c59x driver with such a card.

>  Has anyone else gotten this particular NIC to work w/
> linux?

However, with the 3com 3c90x driver the card works fine for me with
kernel 2.2.18. The only idea I can come to think of is to make sure that
you don't have any CMOS setting saying something like
"PnP OS: yes"

regards Henrik
--

Subject: Getting a faster IDE controller
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 11 Feb 2001 14:24:19 -0500

I'm thinking about getting a new IDE controller, probably ATA/100, so
I don't have to use the sucky onboard controller.  But I'm sort of new
to the world of IDE, so I have some questions.

But before we go any further, this is the setup:

  Linux 2.4.0-smp
  Intel PR440FX motherboard
  2 PPro-200 (256k) CPUs
  2 32MB 60ns EDO/ECC DIMMs
  2 Maxtor 7200rpm 30GB ATA/66 disks

First concern is whether I'm going to notice a difference.  From
hdparm:

  /dev/hda:
   Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  3.24 seconds = 39.51 MB/sec
   Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 11.80 seconds =  5.42 MB/sec

Which is not really great.  The part that vaguely concerns me is the
buffer-cache figure; shouldn't that be, oh, about three times higher?
It was when I ran the disks on my other computer.

Second, as you can probably guess, I need to be able to boot off these
drives.  I have no idea if my BIOS even supports booting from
off-board controllers, nor do I know how I'd find out.

If I can get past these two problems: Any recommendations for what
controllers work, and work well?  I'd rather pay 50% more for a
controller than risk getting corrupted data.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Subject: Re: Problem installing Linux Mandrake !!
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:26:59 GMT

In article <Lwzh6.990$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sma wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I`m looking for a solution to my
>problem.
>
>I have a HP Pavilion 8765c PC. This
>model have a CD-Writer and a DVD.
>When I boot with a linux Boot flopy
>disk, I receive a message meaning that
>the CD is not have a linux !!
>
>---------------ERROR-----------------
>That CD ROM device does not seem to
>contain a linux Mandrake CD Rom
>-------------------------------------
>I try a solution entring this command
>after the selection of F1 in the
>start installation screen:
>linux hdd=ide-scsi idebus=66 mem=256M
>this command was insuffisant to start
>the install process, because an
>message meaning that the CD can`t be
>mount stop me.
>
>--------------ERROR-----------------
>I could not mount a cd on device
>/dev/hdc
>------------------------------------

Have you done anything with the PC to confirm that the CD-ROM drive
reads CD's properly at all (eg, from Windows)? If so, how about trying
to boot from the CD directly (set up the BIOS, if HP lets you, to
boot from the CD-ROM... I think the Mandrake CD is bootable if it's
a recent version).

If the CD-ROM doesn't function at all, check all the cabling make sure
it's connected properly and securely.

--
Mark Bratcher
Director of Software and Electrical Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux motherboard support
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:28:00 GMT

Hi all,

This is probably a REALLY stupid question but I will ask it anyway...

I am looking at building myself a nice new computer with an AMD
Thunderbird and a Tyan motherboard.  Does linux support this?  Is that
even a factor (will linux care?)?  All information is appreciated.

Thank you,
DNAC

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Gregory Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: mounting udf discs as nonroot
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:59:24 -0500

Eric en Jolanda wrote:

> > I am trying to mount a udf cd in KDE as a user.  Just clicking the
> > desktop icon to mount a cd mounts the cd as an iso9660 filesystem.  When
> > I run "mount /dev/cdrom1 /burner -t udf" I get an error message saying
> > only root has permission to do that.  If I use the "su" command, I can
> > mount the cd; however, I want to mount the cd as a user.  How do I
> > seduce "mount" into mounting the disc for me?
> >

> edit /etc/fstab and change the FS type from iso9660 to auto
>
> Eric

it is

Greg