From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TV-out for Geforce2 in XFree 4.02...?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:27:12 GMT

Tor Arne Bratli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> has anybody here succeeded in getting functional TV-out for a
> Geforce2-based card in XFree 4.02?? I've installed the latest Nvidia
> drivers (0.9.6) and have searched everywhere (newsgroups, websites etc.)
> I could think of for a hint on how to enable TV-out, to no avail :(
>
> I assume there is the possibility of just setting the screen to 800x600
> at 50Hz, and see what happens (in case TV-out is automatically enabled
> at the right sync-frequency), but I'm no expert at calculating modelines
> for XFree, so I'm kinda lost on that one ... If you know the right
> modeline for a PAL 50Hz TV, *please* give it to me, and I'll be forever
> grateful(!).
>
> With the exception of the "missing TV-out feature", I would say the
> purchase is a definite success: I got the card (Geforce2 Pro from
> CardExpert) yesterday and installed it last evening (I'm still sitting
> here when it's past 04:00 in the morning), and everything (including
> 3d-support) is now installed and working perfectly - I even got OMS from
> Livid to compile and could view my "Matrix" DVD with just about no
> framedrop in 1024x768 fullscreen: Awesome! If only those Hollywood guys
> would realize that giving people like me access to a DVD-player in my
> preferred OS makes us more likely to buy movies ... Well, maybe
> someday...
>
> Any help with solving the above mentioned "problem" would be
> appreciated!
>
> Best regards,
> Tor Arne
>
> --
> Tor Arne Bratli
> Developer  -- programming games on my spare time, business programming
> in "real life" :)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 The problem with TV out and the nvidia drivers is that TV out is an additional
option supplied by your video card vendor and all software written to take
advantage of it is also writen by said vendor with hooks into the nvidia driver
supplied by nvidia for windows versions. These hooks are not availble in the
linux drivers (or not documented or just plain not there). So if you want to
use tv out under linux your just flat out of luck.

--
Jim Broughton
(The AmigaOS now there was an OS!)

------------------------------

From: "lobotomy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AD 1885 AC97 codec set-up
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:44:54 GMT

You are getting that error because you don't have sound support in the
kernel.  Although alsa does replace the kernel sound drivers, you still
need to have sound support compiled into your kernel (but with all of the
low level drivers disabled).

Alsa does support that codec (according to their site).  Just load the
module for your motherboard chipset, either via686a or intel8x0.  IIRC
the kernel also supports them, if alsa doesn't work for you.

--
PC Chips actually goes by many names. PCChips = Ability = Alton = Amptron =
Aristo = Asia Gate = Asiatech = Assa = Atrend = Elpina = Eurone = Fugu =

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.Bruijn)
Subject: Re: CD ROM problem
Date: 13 Feb 2001 01:04:11 GMT

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:07:00 -0500, Alan Claunch allegedly wrote:

>I'm running SuSE 7.0 with KDE2 and kernel 2.4.0. I have a Matshita DVD and
>a Ricoh 7040A CD-R/RW. Both are ATAPI and when the kernel is compiled for
>IDE  CDROM support, both will play CDs and are readable/mountable. However,
>CD writing requires SCSI emulation and the only way I have been able to
>implement that is by not compiling in IDE CDROM support in the kernel and
>enabling SCSI emulation. Now my drives are seen as SCSI devices, they will
>configure under XCDRoast (haven't gotten to burning a CD yet) but I cannot
>get CDs to play using kscd. The player just sits there and none of the
>controls work. Do I need a different player or is something else wrong with
>the configuration?

Most cd-player use the symbolic link /dev/cdrom to locate the cd-player.
Now that you are using the scsi-ide driver you need to change the link
from /dev/hdc to /dev/scd0 or whatever is the correct device.
        rm /dev/cdrom
        ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom
Good luck.
--
If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?
Herman Bruijn                            mail:          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hajoma)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: mounting udf discs as nonroot
Date: 13 Feb 2001 01:12:50 GMT

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:50:14 -0500, Gregory Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gregory Davis wrote:
>
> > When I run "mount /dev/cdrom1 /burner -t udf" I get an error message
> > saying only root has permission to do that.

> /dev/cdrom1     /burner       auto    ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0

The problem is the -t on the command line. You shouldn't need that now
fstab is set up right, but mount won't let anyone but root specify a
filesystem type. Try "mount /burner".

--
Harry Mason

------------------------------

From: ds1436 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Plug and Play, BIOS, and Linux
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 01:37:28 GMT

The quick answer is, try it and find out. You may be worrying about nothing. If
you can disable PnP on your cards through either jumpers or setup utility, then
do that. Also, some BIOS's will say things like "Resources controlled by:
auto/manual" where selecting manual allows you to specify resources by slot or
slot type. I'd say just try installing, and then focus on any specific hardware
problems that arise.

A more relevant problem may be, which version of Mandrake are you using, and how
much ram does your computer have? Mandrake 7.2 needs lots of ram for it's
default setup with Gnome/KDE and X4.0 (like 48MB+). If you have less than that,
consider installing one of the other window managers.

------------------------------

From: Marc Ulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Install hangs computer
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:25:02 -0500

I have a new computer that will not install linux RedHat 7.0. Here's the
deal:

When the boot (from CDRom) reaches the spot: "PCI: probing PCI
hardware", the system freezes. Not even Crtl-Alt-Del to shutdown &
reboot will work. I tried using the expert mode because it said that
will bypass the PCI autoprobing. It does exactly the same thing.

Here's what I think the problem is: The harddrive is using a Promise
Ultra100 harddrive controller (so that the HDD can use ATA100 instead of
ATA66 which is the max available via the motherboard). I would try just
attaching the harddrive to the motherboard controller, install linux &
then put it back on the Promise controller except that the PCI probing
is done everytime linux boots.

Can anyone help me out?
Thanks,
Marc

------------------------------

From: Marc Ulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Update: Install hangs computer
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:32:22 -0500

Nope, it isn't the PCI hardware causing the trouble. I've removed all
PCI cards, and put the HDD on the Motherboard's IDE controller. The only
expansion card in the system is a Matrox G400 AGP video card.

Does anyone know what causes this?
Marc

------------------------------

From: "Will" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fasttrack 100 and MSI 694d sees only one ata disk
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:53:12 -0600

Are you sure there is support for the FastTrack RAID controllers?  You might
just have support for the Ultra100 IDE controller compiled, in which case
you would see one of your two drives, but not be able to do anything with
it, as it is on my box which has a FastTrack66.  The FastTrack controllers
are similar to their non-raid counterparts, but as far as I know have no
linux support yet, other than the RedHat drivers @ promise.com.  If I am
just out of touch, forgive me.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:17:57 -0500
From: Nicolas Bouche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: soundcard under debian!

Well, I had the es1371 enable before, so i removed the SB driver, and
recompiled the kernel and ...

nothing has changed. I can still listen, but not record anything using dd
ant cat to listen. (as i dont have any good other software to record
sound). I just get white noise.

here is the cat /dev/sndstat again:

=================================
root@smurf% cat /dev/sndstat
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
Kernel: Linux smurf 2.2.17 #9 Mon Feb 12 20:47:11 EST 2001 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
============================
note the dmesg around the sound initialization:

=============================
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
es1371: version v0.22 time 20:48:53 Feb 12 2001
es1371: found chip, vendor id 0x1274 device id 0x1371 revision 0x06
es1371: found es1371 rev 6 at io 0xa800 irq 5
es1371: features: joystick 0x0
es1371: codec vendor TRA (0x545241) revision 3 (0x03)
es1371: codec features none
es1371: stereo enhancement: no 3D stereo enhancement
Sound initialization started
Sound initialization complete
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 21
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xb808-0xb80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio

================================

Hope this helps.

many thanks,

NB

------------------------------

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie Question
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 02:55:07 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
To peter

Is this all you do? Try to find posts and then tell people their hardware is
bogus. Your name pops up all over the place yet I rarely see you actually
offer any advice other than "You have a winmodem" or "Go buy an external
modem" or "You cant do that it is impossible" or as a last resort you post
some smart ass comment. If you arent going to help why waste everyones time?

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video Problem
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 03:30:04 -0000

I just installed Caldera edesktop 2.4 using the "Lizard" installation. I
had to use the VESA setting in order to get the screen to work problem. I
installed it just fine, and I was able to load into the KDE desktop. When
I restarted, my screen displays all these wierd screens and then the
monitor goes onto standby. I know that the computer works, just not the
video.

My system is:

Celeron 300a
SiS chipset
SiS 6326 8mb video card
Windows 98
Openlinux edesktop 2.4

Thanks,

James

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Max Blanco)
Subject: Re: Turning off dialtone check (How?)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 03:45:46 GMT

"Neil Watson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi,
>I'm using mandrake 7.2 and a standard external modem. How do you turn off
>the check for a dial tone before dialing? I can't find an option for it
>anywhere and I have a strange dail tone on my phone line which it doesn't
>recognise.
>Thanks,
>Neil

the key is in the initstring.
change "x4" to "x3" like:
atq0s2=43x4 ---> atq0s2=43x3
max.

------------------------------

From: Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MODEM. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I GO INSANE!
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:27:36 -0800

Are you still having the 'modem busy' message with a PCI modem that is not a
Winmodem?

If so, I may have the answer for you and it took me a month of investigation
to figure it out (with help from people in newgroups).

I had to upgrade my kernel version, add a patch for the UDMA66 controller and
upgrade the serial drivers to get rid of the PCI IRQ conflict.

What kernel version are you using?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:56:05 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Update: Install hangs computer

Marc Ulrich wrote:

> Nope, it isn't the PCI hardware causing the trouble. I've removed all
> PCI cards, and put the HDD on the Motherboard's IDE controller. The only
> expansion card in the system is a Matrox G400 AGP video card.
>
> Does anyone know what causes this?
> Marc
>
> Marc Ulrich wrote:
> >
> > I have a new computer that will not install linux RedHat 7.0. Here's the
> > deal:
> >
> > When the boot (from CDRom) reaches the spot: "PCI: probing PCI
> > hardware", the system freezes. Not even Crtl-Alt-Del to shutdown &
> > reboot will work. I tried using the expert mode because it said that
> > will bypass the PCI autoprobing. It does exactly the same thing.
> >
> > Here's what I think the problem is: The harddrive is using a Promise
> > Ultra100 harddrive controller (so that the HDD can use ATA100 instead of
> > ATA66 which is the max available via the motherboard). I would try just
> > attaching the harddrive to the motherboard controller, install linux &
> > then put it back on the Promise controller except that the PCI probing
> > is done everytime linux boots.
> >
> > Can anyone help me out?
> > Thanks,
> > Marc

Try text mode. There is a reasonably strong chance the graphics mode
will find conflicts easier than text mode will.