Linux-Hardware Digest #346, Volume #14           Wed, 14 Feb 01 15:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: IRQ/Network problems with RedHat7 (Mike Edwards)
  Support for Intel i82550-based network cards (Paul Dias)
  Re: Good news  ... Bad news ... Alcatel USB Modem (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: soundcard under debian! (Peter B. Steiger)
  Matrox Dual Head video card w/Redhat (Joshua Gross)
  Re: Newbie Question ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter (A transfinite number of monkeys)
  Sane (Nick)
  Re: Linux cannot boot on MSI 694D PRO-AIR Board (Julie Brandon)
  Re: Support for Intel i82550-based network cards (Julie Brandon)
  Redirecting Serial port input to a file (John C Bahr)
  Re: Linux 2.2.16-22 and Adaptec AHA-1520 ("Jack Higgins")
  Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Ghost on Linux boot drive ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  S.O.S. for my parport scanner (aco)
  Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter (Chris Webster)
  Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter (Chris Webster)
  Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter
  IDE RAID5 card (?) (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Creative SB AudioPCI 128 (Howard Arons)
  Re: Linux 2.2.16-22 and Adaptec AHA-1520 (Alex Yung)
  Re: Has anyone been able to run DirecPC on a real OS? ("Jamie Town")
  joystick driver on RH7 (2.2.16) (root)
  Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter (Chris Webster)

From: Mike Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQ/Network problems with RedHat7
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:08:40 -0600

Have you tried removing the SCSI card to see if the NIC will be
recognized?  Are the proper NIC modules loaded?  Maybe you can supply
the output from dmesg.

Also, there are numerous bugs in the stock RHL 7.0 release.  If you
haven't done so, go grab and apply all the updates that are relevant to
your system.

Regards,
Mike

--
Mike Edwards, MIS
Edwards Graphic Arts, Inc.

------------------------------

From: Paul Dias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Support for Intel i82550-based network cards
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:54:12 +0000

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience using the eepro100 driver with an i82550-based
Intel network card (such as the new Pro/100S)?

It's meant to be backwards compatible, but...

Cheers,

Paul.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: Good news  ... Bad news ... Alcatel USB Modem
Date: 14 Feb 2001 12:22:40 -0500

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:06:34 -0000, Jon Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Does anyone have a beta driver for the Alcatel Speed Touch USB modem.

I don't believe there is one. There was an independent effort that had a
working beta (I think), but that ran afoul of Alcatel's legal dept from
what I heard, and that URL is no longer good.

--
Hal B

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter B. Steiger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: soundcard under debian!
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:35:57 GMT

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:16:03 -0500, Nicolas Bouche sez:
>Here is the output of cat /dev/nsdstat:
>Installed drivers:
>Type 26: MPU-401 (UART)
>Type 2: Sound Blaster
>Type 29: Sound Blaster PnP
>Type 7: SB MPU-401
>
>Card config:
>(Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1,5)
>(SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 1 drq 0)
>
>Audio devices:
>
>Synth devices:
>
>Midi devices:
>
>Timers:
>0: System clock
>
>Mixers:

What options did you compile in to get the MPU and SB drivers?  My
"Installed Drivers" section has nothing in it... although my Midi
devices and Mixers sections both show the PAS16.  I'm asking because
I can't get playmidi to recognize that I have a MIDI device.

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY
----
If you reply by email, send it to pbs at com dot
canada (or vice-versa).  All advertisements will be
returned to your postmaster, eh!

------------------------------

From: Joshua Gross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Matrox Dual Head video card w/Redhat
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:35:04 -0500

hi-

  Has anyone succesfully gotten a dual head matrox card to work with RedHat
Linux (6.2 or 7.0)???

thanks!

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie Question
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:29:56 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 00:28:51 +0100, "Peter T. Breuer"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>> I am now trying to get my modem to work it is a Supra 56k pci PnP
>>> (#2260 )  device ID# 0x080D4
>>
>>Isn't this a winmodem?
> not according to Supra and they made the thing

Their opinion may be based on something different from yours. Or they
may not know.

>>> I have attempted to check out the winmodem problem on
>>> www.o2.????gromitc????
>>> webpage that everyone says to try most times it is down the one time i
>>
>>It was up earlier today when I checked!

> and it was down today and yesterday when i checked

And it's up when I checked just now.

     http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

     http://start.at/modem

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:48:41 GMT

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 18:04:24 -0800, Guillermo Auad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have RHat 7.0 installed on my IBM thinkpad and when I type
:
: % ifconfig eth0 (or eth1)
:
: it does not find the card. The card, a 3Com 10/100 PCI Mini Ethernet
: adapter works properly when I boot Windows 2000 on the same laptop.

You really mean, "...adapter works properly when I boot Windows 2000
and LOAD THE DRIVER on the same laptop."

I've got the exact same card in my ThinkPad T20, and it works fine, once
you install the driver you need, regardless of Win2000 or Linux.

Go to google, search on "3c556 linux".  Any of those links will help.  In
fact, the kernel 2.2.17 and later include support for that card in the
3c59x driver.

:
: Any ideas? please, reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: thx.
:
: Guillermo.
:
:

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.

------------------------------

From: Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sane
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:19:22 +0000

Hi, I have a Mustek parallel port scanner.
Finally yesterday I mamaged to get it work under Linux Mandrake 7.2, but
there is a little problem: I can use it once, but when I try to scan
again, it says no device found. The problem is overcome by just opening
and closing the file mustek_pp.conf. Having done that, I can do
scanimage --list-device and everything works fine. But the problem come
up again the following time.
Anyone knows what is going on?
Thanks
Nick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Julie Brandon)
Subject: Re: Linux cannot boot on MSI 694D PRO-AIR Board
Date: 14 Feb 2001 18:13:38 GMT

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:01:40 +0100, Joern Koerner ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I´m trying to install RedHad(or any other) Linux on a MSI 694D PRO-AIR Board
>(With Promise 20265 ATA100 Controller on board and RAID BIOS) but every
>Kernel I tried (2.2.16 and up to 2.4.1) hangs just after detecting the IDE
>buses with no comment.
>
>The latest 2.4.1 Kernel detects the VIA IDE, the Promise IDE and right after
>that it hangs. ;-((
>
>I´ve updated everything to the newest bios - with no success and there is
>really nothing special on this board.
>No Cards or whatever...
>
>Has anybody success with installing Linux ??? What I´m doing wrong ???
>
>Any idea ?  I really need help !

Where is your CD-ROM drive?  Is it sharing a controller with something else,
or is it on its own?  If possible, put the CD drive on it's own controller
cable, rather than having it as a master to or a slave of another drive;
quite a few configs have a problem if the CD is sharing cable & controller
port with an HD at the point you mention, but mostly work okay under
Windows.

Ta-ra,

--
Julie Brandon, Derby, UK
<URL:http://www.computergeeks.co.uk/>

Homepage now includes a cheap 'n' cheerful pointless LIVE WebCam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Julie Brandon)
Subject: Re: Support for Intel i82550-based network cards
Date: 14 Feb 2001 18:11:13 GMT

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:54:12 +0000, Paul Dias ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said:
>Hi,
>
>Does anyone have any experience using the eepro100 driver with an i82550-based
>Intel network card (such as the new Pro/100S)?
>
>It's meant to be backwards compatible, but...

Our motherboard uses an 82557 I think (IBM 300PL)?  Works fine with the eepro100
driver.
However, for optimum usage, make sure it is enabled & hence configured
properly on boot by the BIOS -- it does work with that driver otherwise,
however it seems to function better if the BIOS has enabled it properly and
given it an interrupt properly to begin with.

Ta-ra,

From: John C Bahr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Redirecting Serial port input to a file
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:37:48 -0700

Hi,

I am trying to test serial throughput in Linux.  I have two machines
connected with a null modem serial cable and have successfully tested
communication via minicom.  (FWIW: Source machine is a i686 running
Redhat 7.0 and the target machine is an ARM running an embedded version
of Royal Linux)

I have read the Advanced Bash Scripting HOWTO's section on I/O
Redirection and
I am sending an ASCII text file (100 lines with the numbers 1 through
100 on their respective line) from the source computer like so:
cat sent.txt > /dev/ttyS0

I am attempting, from bash, to redirect the serial port data coming into
the target to a text file.  I have tried all of the following on the
target:

1) Take standard input from a file and direct standard input back to a
file:
    exec < /dev/ttyS0 > received.txt       (This causes the lines in the
file to be "executed" as commands, a blank received.txt to be received,
and my session logs out.)

2)  cat /dev/ttyS0 > received.txt             (This causes 3 or 4 lines
to be placed in received.txt : blank, some number, some greater number
and then the file is closed and I get a prompt back.)

3)  Run, from within a shell script:
    exec cat /dev/ttyS0 > received.txt    (This has the same effect as
case 2 above be the script exits.)

You can't, of course, just do a /dev/ttyS0 > received.txt.

I am running at a mere 9600 baud.  Could I be seeing receive buffer full
overruns?  Why would that cause case 2 and 3 to exit from their
environment?

"exec" seems to be what I need since without it, the command completes.
"exec" seems to cause the statement to keep redirecting the input.

I know I could write two little programs to do this but I thought since
redirection is so powerful...

This is all slightly complicated by the fact that sometime I can't break
out of a running task, and have to reboot the target, thus flushing my
RAM disk.  :-(

Has anyone done this kind of thing before?

Thanks,
John Bahr

------------------------------

From: "Jack Higgins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.2.16-22 and Adaptec AHA-1520
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:44:07 -0500

Okay... hmm...
I tried the following command:
        modprobe aha152x io=0x340 irq=10

and got:

aha152x.o: invalid parameter parm_io
aha152x.o: insmod aha152x.o failed

Thanks.

news:mCni6.1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,redhat.networking.general
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:53:47 GMT

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 04:11:20 GMT, J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The Red Hat web site has excellent documentation
>on this, as does the install guide that comes with RH.

Get out the Visine.

>If in doubt, consult one of the linux help groups -

Because chances are good nobody else can make it work either.

Typical Linux.

>jjs

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Subject: Ghost on Linux boot drive
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:34:47 -0500

Tuesday February 13 2001 23:13, Dances With Crows wrote to All:

 DC> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:53:01 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] staggered into
 DC> the
 DC> Black Sun and said:

Not funny! :(

 DC> http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/ and look for the Hard-Drive Upgrade
 DC> HOWTO.

I am familiar with that old HOWTO, which btw is not included in the
recent distros. Awfully complicated! There must be a better way.

 DC>  Ghost is not necessary at all, and I wouldn't bother with it
 DC> anyway.

Why not?

 DC> by http://www.toms.net/rb/ and pick up something just in case you
 DC> have
 DC> problems that require a Rescue System.

Tomsrtbt is highly recommended.

 KS

------------------------------

From: aco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S.O.S. for my parport scanner
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:15:36 +0100

Hi! Guys:
Finally (after some years) I'm moving to LINUX next month. After having
checked up&down for drivers, it seems the only hard I'll be unable to
"save" will be my mustek paragon II 800 ep scanner. Please, Does anyone
know anything about this scanner running under LINUX?
Many thanks in advance!!
aco

------------------------------

From: Chris Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,redhat.networking.general
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:20:05 -0700

> >>I have RHat 7.0 installed on my IBM thinkpad and when I type
> >>
> >>% ifconfig eth0 (or eth1)
> >>
> >>it does not find the card. The card, a 3Com 10/100 PCI Mini Ethernet
> >>adapter works properly when I boot Windows 2000 on the same laptop.
>
> What card? What are you talking about???? Laptops don't have "cards" in
> the same way as desktops do. They have pcmcia sockets or cardbus
> sockets.

Hate for you to be the last person to find out, but they do now.  It's
called *miniPCI*.  On my Dell C800 its a little card that plugs into the
bottom, it currently allows built in ethernet and modem.  miniPCI is
also used in docking stations.  It is supported under linux.

To original poster:

If you 'cat /proc/pci' does the minPCI and 3com show up?

--Chris

------------------------------

From: Chris Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,redhat.networking.general
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:21:04 -0700

> Yea.
> Run Windows instead of Linsux .
>
> Or, do without your hardware like most Linux users.

Hmmm, still waiting for Win98 to support my USB Jumpshot card reader.

--Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,redhat.networking.general
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:46:53 -0000

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:21:04 -0700, Chris Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Yea.
>> Run Windows instead of Linsux .
>>
>> Or, do without your hardware like most Linux users.

        I have been using a USB keyboard, mouse and joystick for 12 months.

        I have been using fully suppported 3D gaming cards of various kinds
        for over 2 years.

        I have been using a flatbed scanner and video overlay card for
        over 2 years.

        What is it that I'm supposed to be missing?

>Hmmm, still waiting for Win98 to support my USB Jumpshot card reader.

--

          The LGPL does infact tend to be used instead of the GPL in instances
          where merely reusing a component, while not actually altering that

          This dramatically alters the nature and usefulness of Free Software
          in practice, contrary to the 'all viral all the time' fantasy the
          anti-GPL cabal here would prefer one to believe.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: IDE RAID5 card (?)
Date: 14 Feb 2001 19:51:55 GMT

I'm looking for some kind of IDE RAID card for Linux that
supports RAID5. Does such a thing exist ? Do the 3Ware
cards support it ?

Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Howard Arons)
Subject: Re: Creative SB AudioPCI 128
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:56:09 -0000

On 13 Feb 2001 22:00:31 GMT, Dances With Crows wrote in comp.os.linux.hardware:
>On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:55:39 +0100, Michal Bozon staggered into the
>Black Sun and said:
>>Is there (nearly) full support for Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128
>>sound card?  RedHat 6.2 detected (sndconfig) that it is CT5880
>>(/proc/pci also shows 5880, NOT 4810,  why?) and installed moudule
>>es1371 (and soundcore).  I cannot play MIDI, use 3D sound, effects...
>>
>>Whot shuld I do if I want to use all card's features?
>
>If you're having problems hearing anything at all, upgrade your kernel
>to 2.2.18 ; the 5880 is actually a very-slightly modified es1371.  There
>*IS* no hardware MIDI on the es1371 cards; that's why they're so cheap.
>Get "timidity" and you can do MIDI in software.  Don't know what you
>mean by "3D sound" or "effects" but then I have cheap speakers and don't
>play the latest k3wl g4mes.  HTH,

Well, maybe you can offer some insights for my problem: I'm using the ALSA
drivers and everything works, except the CD plays at much lower volumes than
the hardware is capable of (based on Win98). I've got the 'amixer' volumes
set at 100%; no joy.

Any ideas?

Howard A
--
Powered by SuSE Linux 6.3 -- Kernel 2.2.18
News Reader slrn 0.9.5.7

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Yung)
Date: 14 Feb 2001 19:44:39 GMT

This is the syntax that I use:
modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x340,11,7

From: "Jamie Town" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.satellite.direcpc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Has anyone been able to run DirecPC on a real OS?
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:56:00 -0800

"Dustin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:bPji6.359$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I already have the DPC equipment.  So that would be my first choice to use
> as I am on a budget.  Starband is not available in the area YET.  And, to
be
> honest, I have not checked the other two yet.  I think the posts here have
> indicated that Nebulink and Fast@XS are more expensive.  I will check into
> them on my own.

Starband is availabe nationwide.  It's _satellite_ fer cryin' out loud.  And
it's even more expensive than Fast@XS and Nebulink, tho it's a simple matter
to rip the USB kludge off the 180's ethernet port once you're set up.  No
Linux drivers needed.  Just set up your network info.

> Can you answer my original question?  Do any of the broadband solutions
that
> might be available to me (e.g. Fast@XS, Nebulink, Starband, etc.) work
under
> the Linux OS.  I will see what I can find out from Helious.

I _did_ answer your question.  Helius has linux drivers for DPC and they are
only available to _existing_ customers.  I don't see anything confusing in
my earlier post.

Jamie

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: joystick driver on RH7 (2.2.16)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:57:58 -0500

Hi,

I'm a newbie and I'm trying to get my joystick configured .

My system:
Red Hat 7 (2.2.16-22smp)
Joystick : MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB (I can connect in the
gameport without the USB adaptor)

The joystick drivers joystick-1.2.15 come with RH7, and they can be
loaded as modules by default.
I am able to load joystick.o, but if I try to load the hardware specific
driver (joy-sidewinder.o), it
gives me the following error:

[root@localhost /root]# insmod joystick
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16-22smp/misc/joystick.o
[root@localhost /root]# insmod joy-sidewinder
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16-22smp/misc/joy-sidewinder.o
/lib/modules/2.2.16-22smp/misc/joy-sidewinder.o: init_module: Device or
resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

Anyone has any clue ??

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: Chris Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,redhat.networking.general
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:06:31 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:21:04 -0700, Chris Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> Yea.
> >> Run Windows instead of Linsux .
> >>
> >> Or, do without your hardware like most Linux users.
>
>         I have been using a USB keyboard, mouse and joystick for 12 months.
>
>         I have been using fully suppported 3D gaming cards of various kinds
>         for over 2 years.
>
>         I have been using a flatbed scanner and video overlay card for
>         over 2 years.
>
>         What is it that I'm supposed to be missing?

Just Winmodems, if that's considered a flaw....   ;^)

--Chris