From: Johannes Niess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up parallel tape drive
Date: 16 Feb 2001 18:37:27 +0100

derek brendan gottlieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've got an external parallel port tape drive (ditto 2GB) that I'm looking
> to set up on my RH7.0 box.  According to the hardware compatibility
> howtos, this drive should be supported by ftape version 3.x and up and I
> currently have 3.04d installed (default with RH7 I think).  Anyone know
> anything about this configuration?  The ftape module installs ok (messages
> output below), but I can't seem to access the drive in any way I've tried
> so far.  It's possible that my parallel port isn't set up correctly since
> I've never actually used it under linux... what settings are supported
> (ECP, EPP, etc).  Any insight would be appreciated.

Derek,

Tapes are char devices. They read/write one byte after another. They
don't get mounted, but are used "raw".

To backup you can try: cd /tmp; tar -cvf /dev/<your device>

Tape movement is done via mt or ftmt:

mt -f /dev/<your device> retension

<your device> is the device file for your tape. AFAIR it's qft0, but
ftape might be a symbolic link to it.

Ftape is currently on version 4.X, so it might be worth an
upgrade. Have your read the ftape howto?

Johannes Niess

------------------------------

From: "Edmund Craske" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How the hell do you set up an ISDN card with Linux?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:50:42 -0000

I have RedHat Linux 7, and I would like to set up an internet NAT gateway
for my LAN. My internet connection is ISDN, using a PCI card, and I can't
work out how the hell to get it set up. Does anyone know?

Edmund Craske

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Newbie Question
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:23:25 GMT

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:20:37 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

thanx to all who helped me the sad end of this all is that my modem is
non-linux capable so until i can scrape some $$ together i have a
really complicated solitare program (though it is a very <nice>
solitare game)

thanx again to D. Stimits for his patience with a know-nothing newbie
and to Peter T. Breuer for posting the url for the modem list I had an
old one both from my linux for dummies book and from
www.linuxnewbie.org but I have the new one now thanx again both of you
are real champs now I return to the lurker realm good luck and God
bless

------------------------------

From: "Didier Lasne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A7V, redhat 7.0 kernel 2.4.1 & hardware status
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:10:52 +0100

Hello,

I'm looking for an hardware Motherboard & cpu.(cpu temp for exemple)
I have Asus A7V, Athlon 1Ghz and I use kernel 2.4.1 with redhat 7.0

Thanks

didier

------------------------------

From: Edward Westin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bass/Treble in Mixers Possible w/Soundblaster 16 PCI
Date: 16 Feb 2001 11:09:13 -0800

I have an inexpensive Creative Soundblaster 16 PCI running w/Red Hat
7.0 and Yamaha YSTM-50 (2 speakers woofer) but am unable to adjust
treble at all).  Is it possible at all to achieve this in linux???
Would it become possible if I moved up to a Soundblaster live card?
None of the 5 or so (including aumix) mixers in KDE or Gnome provide
bass or treble controls.

Any comments most welcome.

Best,
Ed Westin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Should I abandon SCSI?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:14:47 -0000

------------------------------

From: richard noel fell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help needed to recognize ethernet card
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:22:21 -0500

Thank you for replying. Here is the output of lspci.

[root@rosewall rfell]# /sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX Host bridge
(rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX AGP bridge (rev
03)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 01)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 01)
00:08.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2/W
00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c968 [Vision 968 VRAM] rev 0
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21040
[Tulip] (rev 23)

And from cat /proc/pci

------------------------------

From: richard noel fell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:26:01 -0500

Sorry about the last posting. I did not finish the message. Here again is
the output of lspci
[root@rosewall rfell]# /sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX Host bridge
(rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX AGP bridge (rev
03)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 01)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 01)
00:08.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2/W
00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c968 [Vision 968 VRAM] rev 0
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21040
[Tulip] (rev 23)

and from cat /proc/pci

[root@rosewall rfell]# cat /proc/pci
PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Intel 440LX - 82443LX PAC Host (rev 3).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe0000008].
  Bus  0, device   1, function  0:
    PCI bridge: Intel 440LX - 82443LX PAC AGP (rev 3).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
Latency=64.  Min Gnt=3.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  0:
    ISA bridge: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 1).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  No
bursts.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  1:
    IDE interface: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 1).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.
      I/O at 0xf000 [0xf001].
  Bus  0, device   7, function  2:
    USB Controller: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 1).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.
      I/O at 0x6400 [0x6401].
  Bus  0, device   7, function  3:
    Bridge: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 1).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.
  Bus  0, device   8, function  0:
    SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2 (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  BIST capable.  IRQ 10.
Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=39.Max Lat=25.
      I/O at 0x6500 [0x6501].
      Non-prefetchable 64 bit memory at 0xe8000000 [0xe8000004].
  Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. Vision 968 (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 9.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000 [0xe4000000].
  Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: DEC DC21040 (rev 35).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 9.  Master Capable.
Latency=96.
      I/O at 0x6600 [0x6601].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe8001000 [0xe8001000].

dmesg makes no mention of anything refering to ethernet, eth0, etc. I can
send that output along also if that woud help. I appreciate the time and
effort for the help.
Dick Fell

------------------------------

From: Edward Westin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Speaker Recommendation: Good, Solid, Simple.
Date: 16 Feb 2001 11:15:25 -0800

I purchased some Yamaha speakers for $125 (YST-MS50) which I thought
would be good but are weak in reproducing highs as far as I can see.
There are no manual controls for treble and I can't seem to get any of
the linux mixers to work providing treble control.  Can anyone
recommend some speakers for around the same price range which has a
good solid balance of both lows and highs.  Thank you.

Best,
Ed Westin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:24:26 GMT

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:22:21 -0500, richard noel fell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Thank you for replying. Here is the output of lspci.
>
>[root@rosewall rfell]# /sbin/lspci
>00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX Host bridge
>(rev 03)
>00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440LX/EX - 82443LX/EX AGP bridge (rev
>03)
>00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 01)
>00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
>00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
>00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 01)
>00:08.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2/W
>00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c968 [Vision 968 VRAM] rev 0
>00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21040
>[Tulip] (rev 23)

Well, /sbin/lspci says that you've got a DC21040 Tulip chip. The Linux
'tulip' driver should work with that chip.

>And from cat /proc/pci
>

>Michael Heiming wrote:
>
>> richard noel fell wrote:
>>
>> > I am using redhat 7.0. My ethernet card is not recognized upon boot.
>> > Earlier versions of redhat did recognize the existence of the card,
>> > although I did not use it for anything. Since I am having a cable modem
>> > connection installed, it is essential that I am sure my system will
>> > recognize the card.     However, I am absolutely clueless how to do
>> > this. To compound the problem, I am not even sure what type of card is
>> > installed. I think it is a 3Com.
>>
>> You think?
>> Obviously we can't look in your machine, open it and look which chipset
>> sits on your NIC!
>> Provide some more info, in order to make it possible for others to help
>> you.
>>
>> What says
>>
>> dmesg
>> lspci
>> cat /proc/pci
>>

>> >     So, I must resolve this before I have the cable man come. Any help
>> > is greatly appreciated.
>> > Thanks,
>> > Dick Fell
>>
>> Is your card metioned in some kind of hw DB, asuming RH should have one,
>> as I use
>> SuSE, where you can get this info on their site, if some component will
>> run or not.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Michael Heiming

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Peter Havens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise PDC 20265 install problems.
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:33:58 -0700

I recently aquired an Asus A7V motherboard which has a Promise Ultra100 IDE
Controller (PDC 20265 chip) on it. I've been able to install Windows ME on
it for games, and wanted to dual boot with Red Hat for everything else. My
first attempts with Linux kernel versions before 2.4 failed miserably. The
kernel off the Red Hat installation floppy didn't recognize the PDC 20265
chip and therefore thought I didn't have a hard drive.

Now, when I try to install Red Hat 7.1 beta (fisher) which comes with a 2.4
Linux, the PDC 20265 chip (and thereby my hard drive) is recognized, but the
kernel boot from the Red Hat installation floppy hangs with the error below.
Anyone have a workaround / fix / idea?

TIA,
Pete

<snip>

PDC 20265: chipset revision 2
PDC 20265: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

<snip>

Partition Check:
hde: [PTBL] [1826/255/63] hde1 hde2 < hde5hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 {
DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: dma_intr: error=010 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect = 32885055, sector=0
hde: dma_intr: status = 0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

<repeats>

hde: DMA disabled

<hangs>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: video capture card questions
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:48:41 -0800

I have a Video Extreme (Brooktree) video capture card.
Linux recognizes it during boot up.
Will it work with Linux?
If so, what software do I need?
Where can I find the software?
Where can i find instruction on getting it working?
Looking through 'rpmfind.net' didn't show me any video capture software.

Thanks for any help.
--
cedric

Linux powered

Do not sell, share or otherwise
distribute e-mail address.

------------------------------

From: aco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: S.O.S. for my parport scanner
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:53:07 +0100

THANKS FOR ANSWERING

------------------------------

From: "Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:00:42 GMT

Chris Pitzel wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>..
>> ?I'm at a crossroads now and I need some opinions
>> ?on whether or not I should abandon SCSI or
>> ?continue to invest in the technology.
>>
>> That's a growing question.  The latest rumors are that Plextor will not
do
>> its 16X burner in SCSI and IF true then the likely marks the beginning of
>> the end for SCSI on single user workstations.
>
>"the end"?  How many workstations do you know of that *don't* come
>equipped with SCSI?

Clueless,  most do not.

> I can only think of the Ultra10 at the moment, and
>most buyers of those throw the IDE drive out and buy SCSI drive anyways.

Nope.

>In other words, think before you open your mouth.

You got one thing right in this post now do it.

------------------------------

From: "Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:04:53 GMT

Scott Alfter wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Jean-Francois Landry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Once upon a time, jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>I'm leaning towards dumping all my SCSI devices.
>>>I've been looking at the tech specs for USB
>>>and it appears to be more promising than SCSI,
>>>even though with USB 2.0 you only get 60MB/sec instead
>>>of 160MB/sec with SCSI-3.
>>
>>BTW, can't you buy a SCSI-2 controller? Doesn't need to be Ultra-Wide
>>either to drive tape drives and scanners. It would be pretty good for
>>just about any hard drive out there too.
>
>Indeed...a 29160 sounds like severe overkill for a scanner and a tape
drive.
>(We have one in a machine at work...it drives a Seagate Cheetah X15.)  The
>least-expensive PCI (or even ISA) SCSI card

No,  don't even think about an ISA SCSI card.

> you can get ought to be
>sufficient.  I have a ScanJet 4p hooked up to an AVA-1502 that originally

Get a PCI SCSI card.