From: "Mark Palmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: getting Aureal sound card working
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:28:02 -0500

I have heard that about one year ago, Aureal relesed Linux drivers for their
chipsets.  Of course Aureal has gone belly up so they no longer have a
website.  I have a MX300 (with a Vortex 2 chip) and am looking for those
drivers.  Does anyone know where I can get those, or does anyone know if
they would even work?  Or even another way to try to get the card to work?

------------------------------

From: Michael Wyatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fresh Newbie - Sound Card & Hardware Problems - Help!
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:35:32 -0600

    Installed Red Hat Linux 7 about 2 weeks ago, and need a little help
getting a few hardware items to run.
I've got my NIC installed and my sound card is giving me fits. I have a
Compaq with onboard sound with a ESS 1888 chip set. I have seen a few
patches in forums but afraid to compile the kernel wrong. I set
SNGCONFIG to use the Sound Blaster and the Sound Blaster  16 driver. The
CD Audio plays great, but any kind of wav or mp3 file doesn't play. The
sound will last a short second and I will get IRQ conflict error. My
sound card is set to IRQ=5, IO=0x220, 0x330, 0x388, DMA=1,5. I read that
I could use the sb driver on IRQ 7, gave that a shot and the sound
lasted longer but again cut out. My LPT is set to IRQ5 but I haven't
installed any printing services yet. But I do have two LPT cards. (After
I'm done writing this I'll pull one out.)

    I also cannot get any of my FAT32 drives to mount. This is probably
the wrong command line but here's what I've tried.

[root@linux root]# mount -t vfat /dev/hdc /mnt/win

I've tried msdos and umsdos too. That will fire up the drive and give me
a wrong file system error.
(Does it have to mount to / ?)

And last I have a Adaptec AVA-1502. And module for this?

I would extremely appreciate and help.
Thank you tons

------------------------------

From: "Bodo Mueller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Should I abandon SCSI?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:00:05 +0100

"Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:uNej6.12717$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Chris Pitzel wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> > I can only think of the Ultra10 at the moment, and
> >most buyers of those throw the IDE drive out and buy SCSI drive anyways.
>

> Nope.

Ron, Chris is right in this regard, many users do éxchange the IDE driver
for an SCSI solution.

this is not due to some special SCSI advantage, but because the IDE
Interface in these suns is lousy ( it can only do PIO, no DMA).

Therefore anyone who needs good HD Preformace on these workstations will
seriously consider SCSI instead.

This does not imply any superiority of SCSI over IDE or IDE over SCSI.

-Bodo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: IDE RAID5 card (?)
Date: 16 Feb 2001 23:32:41 GMT

On 15 Feb 2001 17:21:50 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>On 14 Feb 2001 18:02:53 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>Can you please point me to where 3ware.com supports RAID5?
>>
>>It says so on:
>>  http://www.3ware.com/products/linux3ware.shtml
>>But when I download the spec sheets (6000, 5000), they mention only
>>RAID 0 and 1.
>>
>>Has anyone got it working in RAID5?
>
>http://www.3Ware.com/news/ataraid.shtml is data Jan 31 2001,
>this is where they announce RAID5 support. The data sheet
>predates this (it is dated 2000).
>
>I've sent email to their "questions" link.

... contacted a vendor, elinux. They said that the controller that supports
RAID5 will be available in April.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Support for SuperMicro 370DL3 motherboard
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:31:55 -0800

The 370DLE seemed OK here with RH 6.1.  It doesn't have on-board SCSI,
so maybe try it with IDE devices only.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

------------------------------

From: Alex Moen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DPT PM3754U2 and RedHat 7.0
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:27:54 -0600

I have not tried to install using the drivers on 6.2, but I have tried compiling
a 2.2.16 kernel with them.  The instructions only go up to 2.2.15, but I tried it
anyway :)  I have gotten the machine up and running using RH6.1 and the driver
disk, and it seems to work fine, minus the security situation of the pre .16
kernel, but I think I am going to just apply all of the security RPM's  to the
kernel and source code install the servers that I need (Apache, Sendmail,etc).
Too bad I couldn't get RH7 to work with it.  Sometimes it's a bad thing to have a
company bought out: lord knows Adaptec won't build any new drivers for it,
they'll just want us to buy new controllers (not that that's a bad thing...).

Thanks for the reply!

Alex

------------------------------

From: "Steve Costaras" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: / on a raid 5
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:41:44 -0600

I ran into that problem before when using software raid.  I solved it then
by using a 'boot floppy' with the kernel and then mounting the drives
normally.

However now I have moved over to LVM support under 2.4.x kernels and have a
non-raided /boot partition that then mounts a initrd disk then mounts the
raided & LVMed volumes.  Gives much more flexability.

Steve
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: chris dolese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: USB modems: which ones work under linux?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:47:13 -0500

Stephen Jarrett-Sprague wrote:

> I have a computer which doesn't have a serial port or room for a serial
> card to be installed. Serious mistake in hindsight.
>
> I have a PCtel winmodem that did work under Corel second addition, but
> this appears to be a dead end distro.
>
> I do have a USB port though.
>
> I have looked up kernel 2.4 readme's to find that USB modems that conform
> to Abstract Control Model are now supported in the kernel. And I found
> that ELSA microlink 56k works on suse's websight.
>
> Problem - this modem has been withdrawn and replaced by a fun USB modem
> (How modems are found escapes me). Now back to square one.
>
> Any suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

winmodems are now supported , IBM  released an opensource driver for linux

------------------------------

From: Josh Rovero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual monitors -- how? preconfigured?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:57:59 GMT

John wrote:

> I'm buying a kick-butt development machine and I want dual monitors. Will
> the X server in RedHat 7 do dual monitors? What configuration is required?
>
> Can I buy a preconfigured system from someone like Dell that has 2 monitors?

As a matter of fact, Dell is selling refurb workstation machines
with 256M of ram, 9 GB scsi drive, *and* G400 dual head card
(but just one monitor) for $1300-$1400.  PIII 733 MHz....

See www.dell.com, under refurbs, workstations..

--
P. Josh Rovero     KK1D    Oceanographer &  Meteorologist
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://members.home.net/provero

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Cochrane)
Subject: Re: getting Aureal sound card working
Date: 16 Feb 2001 17:03:16 -0700

Try searching for aureal on sourceforge.net.

In article <96k9gs$cd1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mark Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have heard that about one year ago, Aureal relesed Linux drivers for their
>chipsets.  Of course Aureal has gone belly up so they no longer have a
>website.  I have a MX300 (with a Vortex 2 chip) and am looking for those
>drivers.  Does anyone know where I can get those, or does anyone know if
>they would even work?  Or even another way to try to get the card to work?

--
Jim Cochrane

Subject: Mandrake 7.2 and Trident 4DWave DX - no sound
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Hedge Fox)
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:34:33 GMT

I did a Mandrake 7.2 install on a dual Celeron 533 Abit BP6 with
a SonicWave 4D sound card with the Trident 4DWave DX chipset.

The install went cleanly and the 2.2.17-21mdksmp kernel works
fine. The soundcard is detected and the modules installed w/o
a hitch:

/etc/modules.conf:
alias sound snd-card-trident
post-install snd-card-trident modprobe snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-trident

and from lsmod:

root@surya:/var/log [577]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd-pcm-oss            16880   0
snd-mixer-oss           4320   1  [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-pcm-plugin         13136   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-card-trident        2704   1
snd-trident            17184   0  [snd-card-trident]
snd-pcm                31968   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin snd-trident]
snd-timer               9344   0  [snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec         24640   0  [snd-trident]
snd-mixer              24688   0  [snd-mixer-oss snd-trident snd-ac97-codec]
snd-mpu401-uart         2816   0  [snd-card-trident snd-trident]
snd-rawmidi            10304   0  [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device          3584   0  [snd-trident snd-rawmidi]
snd                    38288   1  [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-plugin
snd-card-trident snd-trident snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-mixer
snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
soundcore               3184   5  [snd]

There is a slight crackling sound from the card during boot up so
something is being probed for and detected.

However, I get nothing out of the sound card from any of the
multimedia utils (xmms, the music CD player). I tried directly
cat'ing all kinds of files, audio (.wav, .au etc) and otherwise
to /dev/audio and anything else with group audio ownership, and
there is no sound at all.

The card works OK under Win 95 so it's not the speakers or the card.

Any suggestions about further tests to try or similar experiences?
--
C. Chan < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
PGP Public Key: finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Mark Palmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:37:08 -0500

Thanks, They had them.

news:96kf44$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux OCR (was: Re: Canon Perfection 1640SU Scanner drivers)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:14:41 -0600

A E Lawrence wrote:

> the 1640SU Photo does do a very respectable job if 1600dpi is
> sufficient. For otherwise a (good) dedicated film scanner is indeed
> needed. The 1640SU with the transparency adapter is far better than the
> usual flatbed transparency solutions which are nearly all pretty poor.
> Sample scans from a 1640SU can be found by reading posts on
> comp.periphs.scanner. As I said in my earlier post, linux support is
> better than doze except for OCR. At least I haven't found any ocr
> software for Linux.Not relevant for slides, I think, but the original
> post implies ordinary scanning required as well?

I've not seen any native linux OCR software either.  I have tried
scanning to a file and then importing the file into Windows
(VMware) to use the OCR software there, but the results have been
less than satisfactory.

Anybody else have any good experiences with OCR?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Turning off dialtone check (How?)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:11:23 -0600

Neil Watson wrote:

> I'm using mandrake 7.2 and a standard external modem. How do you turn off
> the check for a dial tone before dialing? I can't find an option for it
> anywhere and I have a strange dail tone on my phone line which it doesn't
> recognise.

With a Hayes AT-compatible modem (most) it is enabled by a "w" in
the dial string; eg "atdwt555-5555"

Removing the "w" should disable the dial tone wait.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: external modem
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:15:36 -0600

Dave wrote:

> Ok. I broke down and bought an external modem. I made sure it could be
> connected to a serial port before I bought it, unfortunately the cord that
> came with the modem was to big for my serial port, so it is on the parrallel
> port.

err... a serial modem will *never* work on a parallel port!  You
need to get an adaptor or a different cable to allow you to plug
it into your serial port.

> The documentation that came with it only tells how to set it up in
> windows. I am using Redhat 5.2 and the modem is: Compaq Microcom 510 56k
> External Fax Modem. How do I set this up? Linux unleashed makes a brief
> reference to the parallel port but it is talking about a printer. I was
> messing around and thought it might be as simple as linking the /dev/modem
> to /dev/par2. OOPS! I did the command backwards the first time and then
> redid it the right way. What I now have is:
> modem -> /dev/par2 and par2 -> dev/modem. How do I fix this?

Straighten out the serial port/cable problem first, then see if
you still need help.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:22:19 -0600

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> Looking around a bit, it turns out that the Compaq Microcom 510 modem
> does indeed use a parallel port.  Bizarre.

Strange indeed.  And in all likelihood it needs a proprietary,
Windows-only parallel-to-serial driver and/or a proprietary
Compaq parallel port.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:43:16 -0500
From: "Garret A. Wikoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PNY processor upgrade

I sent an order to Tiger and on a whim added a PNY 200-3D processor
upgrade. I'v got a couple IBM P90 machines that I thought I would try to
pep up a little.  When the chips came from Tiger they were sans
instructions, probably why they were $20.  Has anybody out there ever
used these devices.  Ths thing has a 4 position dip switch on the
bottom.  When I put it in the P90 it at least starts to boot but stalls
before the memory test. Any help would be appreciated.

Garret

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Tape drive for Linux
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:53:32 -0600

Rob Clive wrote:

> What software are you using to drive them?  I'm using an HP
> (really Colorado) 5Gb with ide-tape but it seems to need a
> small backup on the tape to start with which it can c*ck up.
> The next (real) backup then works OK.  It also seems quite
> frequently to suffer a DSC timeout.  All in all I was
> considering swapping it until your article suggested all could
> be well.  BTW the current backup s/w is KBackup but I've tried
> Taper with much the same results.  Amanda seems a bit of
> overkill for a single server system. Recommendations wanted :-)

I use an HP-Colorado 5GB ATAPI tape drive on my linux system
without problems.   I have ide-tape support as a module and use
afio to make the backups (I've also used tar successfully in the
past).  I can start with a blank tape; no need to create dummy
backups.  Nor have I had any trouble with DSC timeouts.  I did
try taper a long time ago but never got it to work with the HP
drive (it worked fine with the Exabyte SCSi drive on my other
machine, though).  Perhaps the problem is with KBackup and
taper?  Afio and tar aren't pretty, but they do seem to work.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])