  Re: Need LOTS of disks: Promise ATA RAID?? (Wine Development)

From: "Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Booting Raid 1 or 5
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 00:37:21 GMT

julius wrote in message ...

>Hi,
>
>On a system with hardware RAID level 5, booting Linux on RAID devices, if
>one drive fails, does the system boot, before replacing the drive? (not
>hotswap)

Normally,  yes.

>And if instead of RAID level 5 we have a level 1 (mirroring)? Does the
>system boot if one drive fails, before replacing the drive?

Normally,  yes.

------------------------------

From: Alex Miron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: difficulty mounting ATAPI zip
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:56:37 -0500

Hi,

I had the same problem, turns out I have to say
mount /dev/hdd4 /zip
instead of just /dev/hdd. I found that by launching YaST (the SuSE config
tool) and going to the partitioning section, where it showed the hdd4.
Mine is a Zip250, but I suppose something similar would work for you.

Alex

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Copy Playstation 1 games in Linux?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 02:00:08 GMT

I've searched and searched, but I can not figure out how to copy
Playstation disks in Linux.  I have modified my playstation so I can
copy all 16 games I own and play the backups (i was given the modchip,
wouldn't have bothered otherwise..)

I don't have the time to play lots of games, so pirating isn't the
issue, I'd just like to copy my own games.  I've had a few (mostly ones
I loan out :( that won't play correctly anymore.

Thanks for any help!  Or a suggestion on where to put this, I'm not sure
of the best place.. :(

--
Walter Francis
http://theblackmoor.net                  Powered by Red Hat Linux 7.0

------------------------------

From: Tim Buck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
Subject: Initio's lack of Windows 2000 support
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 02:26:24 GMT

I sent this to Initio a few minutes ago. I thought some of you might be
interested in it.

===== begin rant =====
I just found out the hard way that you do not support your INI-9100UW
SCSI adapter under Windows 2000. I am dumbfounded by your decision to
not support this product under Windows 2000.

For a company who appears to pride themselves on their cross-platform
support, who provides drivers for their hardware for (most) Windows
platforms, Linux, BSD, MacOS, UnixWare, and Solaris, the reasoning
behind this decision to abandon the 9100UW is unfathomable.

I understand and agree that you should not be producing the 9100UW
anymore -- Ultra 2 SCSI, LVD, and all the other latest buzzwords make
Ultra Wide SCSI obsolete now. I have no problem with that; I do have a
problem with you forcing your customers to discard perfectly good,
functioning hardware, simply because they wish to upgrade their
operating system. You're the only company I've seen do this; for
example, I have yet to find a network card for which there's no Windows
2000 driver.

What's especially galling about your decision is that you consider the
9100UW an "end of life" product which you no longer support, yet it's
still for sale in your online store, as of today!

Our company first began buying Initio SCSI adapters as a low-cost,
high-performance alternative to expensive Adaptec adapters. We will no
longer do so because of your ridiculous decision. It would cost you very
little in development time to port your existing Windows NT 4.0 driver
over to Windows 2000; it will cost you a lot in lost future sales
because you haven't done so.

Timothy Buck

From: Gary I Kahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson question
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:04:25 -0500

Thanks for your help, everyone.  Since my Mandrake 2.2.17 kernel appears to
have the USB patches backfitted from 2.4.0preXX, I'll try to use my scanner
with the Mandrake kernel.  If it doesn't work, I'll now know why.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Initio's lack of Windows 2000 support
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:11:31 -0600

And it will cost you and your company less to discard your incompatible OS
and switch to Linux, BSD or Solaris.  No more seat licenses, no more
scheduled "restarts", no more blue screens of death.

Dave

From: "pa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Resolved AWE32 problem
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 03:28:58 GMT

I resolved this by turning off isapnp support in the kernel.

Al

news:DOEi6.235248$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.games.video.sony-playstation
Subject: Re: Copy Playstation 1 games in Linux?
Date: 28 Feb 2001 03:38:28 GMT

Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've searched and searched, but I can not figure out how to copy
> Playstation disks in Linux.  I have modified my playstation so I can
> copy all 16 games I own and play the backups (i was given the modchip,
> wouldn't have bothered otherwise..)

Xcdroast (and other GUI burner utilities I'm sure) has a "Copy CD" mode
that works as advertised.  It's really just a front end to 'dd', which
you could do by hand as well, then 'cdrecord' the image onto a new CD.
Check out the man pages for more info.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Voodoo3, OpenGL and Half-Life
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:46:26 -0800

Marc Ariberti wrote:

> I tried it several times and when I finally make it work, I only had
> 1fps in OpenGL which is far less than in software mode. Do you
> know where is the problem and how to make 3d acceleration work
> properly under linux with a Voodoo3
>
> I use one of the latest version of wine, xfree...

        Talk about your complicated questions!  The problem here could be
XFree, sure enough, or it could be that Wine was compiled without OpenGL
support (I assume you did compile it in, but could something have gone
wrong?), or it could be a kernel version thing.

        First of all, are you sure that both your kernel and your X-server
have DRI support for the Voodoo3?

                                                                       Marcus

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: VIA IDE problems (was Re: Need LOTS of disks: Promise ATA RAID??)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 03:58:46 GMT

Tony Houghton wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > My understanding is that there are serious problems with the VIA IDE
> > chipset support for ATA-100 although not everyone appears to have the
> > problems. I don't use it here though so I will be selfish and say I don't
> > care too much.
>
> I keep hearing of problems with VIA IDE, in particular that enabling DMA
> can cause corruption (only with kernel 2.4 though I think). Is this only
> for ATA100 or can VIA motherboards safely be used with ATA33 with DMA?
>
> I'm thinking of upgrading one of my systems to a Duron later in the
> year, and apart from that problem, the VIA motherboards seem to be the
> best. I don't mind having to stick to ATA33, because 66 and 100 hardly
> make a difference in practice, but IME, turning off DMA altogether can
> make a big difference. The box in question is mainly a Windows box (and
> the way NVidia are going I won't be able to use it for games under Linux
> 2.4) but it would be nice to know it will be fully suitable for Linux if
> I ever want to swap things around and use that m/b mainly for Linux.

I'm running ATA66 under 2.2.18 with the Hedrick patches.  I haven't
seen any problems.  That doesn't prove there aren't any, just that I
haven't seen any.  ASUS A7V133, each drive is a master on it's own
channel.

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.30
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 21
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
Split FIFO Configuration:  8 Primary buffers, threshold = 1/2
                           8 Second. buffers, threshold = 1/2
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
ide0: VIA Bus-Master (U)DMA Timing Config Success
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
ide1: VIA Bus-Master (U)DMA Timing Config Success
PDC20265: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 88
PDC20265: chipset revision 2
PDC20265: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC20265: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI
Mode.
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0x7400-0x7407, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0x7408-0x740f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hda: Maxtor 54098U8, ATA DISK drive
hdc: PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W8432T, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: Maxtor 54098U8, 39082MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=4982/255/63, UDMA(66)

No, I'm not using the Promise controller on this motherboard.  Maybe
later, same with ATA100.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Michael Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.embedded,linux.redhat.devel,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: IRQ Line Assign
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 04:47:20 +0100

Hi Ajit,

you wrote:
> > You should not need any driver for a PCI-PCI bridge. Both the PCI-BIOS
> > and Linux do detect these bridges and look behind them - they are
> > transparent.
>
> Then how do I access the device? FYI, I was planning to write the simple
> driver which maps the device memory location to the kernel virtual mem ( by
> using ioremap func). And then in the interrupt handler check the the
> doorbell register value to see any change in status. I'm not sure if this is
> the right approach (as I'm new to device driver devl.) Please guide me or
> provide some pointers.

For first I did wondering why you want to fiddle with the bridge itself
and do not access just the devices behind it directly. But looking at
the manual for the Intel 21555 I see there is a big difference beetween
a transparent PCI-PCI bridge I assumed and a non-transparent PCI-PCI
bridge as the mentioned device. For linux it should look like a single
device attached to the PCI bus. So indeed for such a bridge you need to
write a device driver. However what this device driver should do clearly
depends upon what device the combination of this bridge and the PCI bus
behind does implement.

> All I'm trying is to read the doorbell register _ dont' have very clear idea
> how it works. But every time I receive the interrupt I get 0xffff value. And
> it do receive the interrupt very frequently. Do I have to check if the
> interrupt is for my device or kernel takes care of it?

What chip you are reffering to? If you read a value of 0xffff every time
this is usally a hint there is no device where you read or it simply
does not react.

On the intel chip mentioned above you would access the status of the
IRQs by reading one of two registers (Primary Clear/Set IRQ) which can
be accessed either by memory or I/O. A register named the "doorbell
register" is not existent. The doorbell consists of a set of eight
registers there Clear IRQ, Set IRQ, Clear IRQ mask and Set IRQ mask for
each of the two PCI busses.

If you can access the register of interest by I/O I would recoment to do
it this way for first since you do not have to fiddle with the various
address spaces then.

Malware

Fup2 to comp.os.linux.development.system

------------------------------

From: "Leo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 04:31:53 GMT

Julius,

1) If you are using RAID5, then you can lose ONE drive (if no hot spare is
configured) and continue to operate with full functionality, meaning no data
loss and maintaining the ability to boot.  You better plan an outage ASAP
however to get the new drive in place if no hot-plug (or, if you are using a
hardware array controller that supports hot plug devices like ICP Vortex
Array Controllers you won't even need to schedule an outage).  The parity
areas on the remaining RAID5 devices will rebuild the data on the newly
replaced drive.

2) If you are using a hardware mirror (RAID1) configuration, then yes-- you
should not experience any data loss or ability to boot at all.  With
software/host based RAID1 be careful to make sure it's a true full mirror
including all the boot partition stuff and that the controller is pointing
to the correct device you which to boot from (the non-failed drive).

3) Rebuilds.  Again, with ICP (and others I would hope) yes you should still
be able to boot.  If you reboot the server it will come up and continue the
rebuild process on the new device until complete.  ICP is intelligent enough
to do this as a background task giving server I/O priority in a rebuild
situation to reduce any degradation during a drive rebuild.

I hope this helps.  We deploy lots of servers and would always recommend
leveraging hardware RAID (sounds like you are based on your questions).
Also, use a high quality controller that has some decent processing
capabilities (we use ICP after testing many others in the past including
Mylex and Adaptec.  We were so pleased with our own deployments over the
years we are now a primary distributor of ICP products.  The products have
been totally solid, and the support is great too).  Always leverage hardware
RAID when possible over software/host based solutions.  Not only is it more
reliable, but you don't burden the OS or the CPU with processing I/O giving
you some substantial performance gains as well.  You want your CPU
processing application data, not being interrupted by I/O and data
protection-- that's where a good array controller comes in.

Sincerely,

Leo J. Squire
www.icp-order.com
High Availability, Now Highly Available

news:iDVm6.160$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Wine Development <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Need LOTS of disks: Promise ATA RAID??
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:06:05 +0000

Jason Clifford wrote:

> Last time I looked at it reiserfs had serious compatibility issues with
> software raid. That may be resolved now but check before you commit any
> data to it.

All journalling filesystems seem to have this problem. It appears the
basis is contention between the journalling code and the raid code
with the result that one drops the buffer before the other has
finished
with it.

I vaguely remember a typically pithy Alan Cox pronouncement on the
matter.

--
Keith Matthews                  Spam trap - my real account at this
                                                        node is keith_m

Frequentous Consultants  - Linux Services,
                Oracle development & database administration