From: Robert MacGregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can I print to my LaserJet 3100 from Linux?
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:31:51 -0800

The answer is probably 'no' but I'll ask anyway..

I have a HP LaserJet 3100 printer.  Each of my workstations is currently
running Windows 2000, and because of this, I can share this printer
among the workstations.  Printer sharing was never part of HP's goals
with this product, apparently, because you can only share the printer
between two computers if both of their OS's are the same (Both W2K, NT
4, or 9x).

So, I want my own workstation to run Linux.  I'd rather not buy a
different printer just so I can print.

I am assuming that if I cannot share the printer between a W2K and a 98
box, that I definitely won't be able to share it between W2K and a Linux
box.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Is there some sort of proxy program I can run on the workstation to
which the LJ 3100 is connected that will create a "virtual" generic
shared printer device?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!
-R

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: How do I setup W98 on my Linux system?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 01:33:53 -0000

In article <97m9qu$ufr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Gregory Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Cubic Meter wrote:
>
>> I have Mandrake 7.2 installed on a 6.4 gig HD. How do I go about
>> installing W98 also? I'm kinda new to Linux. Thanks.
>
> You need to first install windows, resize its partition using a program
> like FIPS or Partition Magic, then install mandrake alongside windows.
> Windows doesnt allow you to install as a dual boot (why would you want
> anything else?).

It *IS* possible to install Windows after Linux. In fact, it's not
really that difficult. The main difficulty Cubic Meter is likely to
encounter is making space for Windows. If the drive is already
partitioned for that, it's really no problem. If not, a partition
resizer like PartitionMagic (http://www.powerquest.com) or one of the
open source ext2fs resizers like ext2resize
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2resize/) will shrink the Linux
partition(s) to make room for Windows. I *STRONGLY* advise backing up
before doing this, though; a bug, power outage, existing corruption, or
the like can cause you to lose everything. Also, be sure to have an
emergency boot system, like a kernel and LOADLIN, since resizing a
Linux boot partition may make it unbootable. If the changes will change
your partition numbers, it's best to edit /etc/fstab appropriately
before making the changes.

Once you've made room for Windows and created a primary FAT partition,
install Windows. This will make Linux unbootable, but you can recover it
either by making the Linux boot partition the active one using
DOS/Windows FDISK (if LILO is installed on the Linux boot partition) or
by booting with the emergency disk and re-running lilo.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:37:26 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is the PCI bus going away?

jtnews wrote:

> Is the PCI bus going away?
>
> I just bought 4 brand new computers
> this year, how long before I'm going
> to have to trash my brand new computers
> and buy new ones?
>
> Why can't Intel just extend PCI and make
> a faster version instead of coming up
> with something else that's totally incompatible?
>
> Can AMD make PCI faster so we all don't have to upgrade?
>
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4995638.html?tag=lh

Intel and others have done exactly that, extend the PCI bus. Trouble is,
mainly only multiprocessor boards have it available. It's a 64 bit pci
bus, which used to be 32 bit. In addition, there is a 64 MHz clock on
that bus, instead of 33 MHz. Some of those buses (I wonder if that is
the correct spelling for plural of "bus" related to a computer bus?) are
dedicated to only the 66 MHz (and 3.3 volt) operation, and can't be used
with older cards, while others can detect and use whichever is plugged
in. On the ones that can detect, if any card in the bus is a slower
card, they all operate slower (on that bus). It isn't unusual for a
motherboard that supports this to have several slots with dedicated 64
bit/66 MHz bus, and a second bus that is flexible and can run with older
PCI cards. Basically these occur on high-end motherboard that support
either Ultra 160 SCSI or gigabit ethernet, since a normal PCI bus is
saturated by these. If you go hunting for motherboards with this bus,
beware that the IO-APIC of the i840 chipset is broken on Linux, and
needs to be deactivated to avoid heavy i/o failure. If you ever see 64
bit or 66 MHz as a PCI spec, you are seeing the next generation.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:38:36 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> jtnews wrote:
> >
> > Is the PCI bus going away?
> >
> > I just bought 4 brand new computers
> > this year, how long before I'm going
> > to have to trash my brand new computers
> > and buy new ones?
> >
> > Why can't Intel just extend PCI and make
> > a faster version instead of coming up
> > with something else that's totally incompatible?
> >
> > Can AMD make PCI faster so we all don't have to upgrade?
> >
> > http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4995638.html?tag=lh
>
> Intel and others have done exactly that, extend the PCI bus. Trouble is,
> mainly only multiprocessor boards have it available. It's a 64 bit pci
> bus, which used to be 32 bit. In addition, there is a 64 MHz clock on
...correction...66 MHz, not 64. I had 64 bit on my brain at the time; 66
is double the current 33 MHz.

------------------------------

From: "Bob 'n' Tina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Yet another Newbe Question: defrag?
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 20:45:09 -0500

New Linux user here (Linux-Mandrake 7.2).

I'm wondering about the necessity, importance, and/or frequency of
defragmenting a Linux EXT2 partition.

I've flirted with Linux (Redhat 5 or so) for a while. Now it's my primary
partition with M$ Win98 as an alternative boot. (I've got a SoundBlaster
Live! Value card and I don't know if the wave table is supported by Linux or
not, so I keep Win98 handy for such things.)

I'm used to Norton's utilities and defragmenting. Do such things occur in
the Linux world?

Thanks!

Bob

------------------------------

From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 01:51:29 GMT

But in the CNET article, Intel seems
to be indicating that they want to phase out
the PCI bus altogether!

From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yet another Newbe Question: defrag?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 01:59:47 GMT

I heard that the ext2 filesystem
uses very good block allocation algorithms
and doesn't need defragmentation like
Windows filesystems.

I've never had a need to defragment myself,
and I have 57,442 files in 4GB in one filesystem.

------------------------------

From: Tom Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: beep(good), then (boop) bad
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 02:27:14 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I stick my Xircom pcmcia ethernet in my thinkpad 760el running mandrake 7.2
> and I get a high beep followed by a low beep.  "cardctl ident 0" returns
> the appropriate name of the card, and I can't find any error messages in
> the log files.  What the heck should I do now?  This is my first unix/linux
> experience and I am quite clueless.  I leafed through the whole "pcmcia
> howto" and It's basically over my head.  The answer may be there, but if it
> is, I don't understand it.  Should I just try installing the latest version
> of the Pcmcia card manager available at sourceforge?

Sounds like the system accepted the card with no problems, now run
'netconfig' to configure your network.  Then run 'ifconfig' to see your
card settings (network-wise), then run 'route' to look at the routing
tables...

TomW

From: Tom Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Difference between IDE and ATAPI
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 02:30:40 GMT

Vladimir Florinski wrote:

> Can someone explain what's the difference between the two protocols? I know
> that, for example, ATAPI supports some extra ioctls (close the tray, eject,
> etc.) However, there are IDE devices that need these two (such as ORB drives),
> but the calls are not provided by the kernel. So, what would it take to make
> 'eject' work on IDE devices (and magicdev have them mounted automatically)?
> --
>
> Vladimir

IMHO, the IDE drives cannot be commanded to eject the tray...  They have
no command in their command set to allow this.

TomW

From: Tom Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange CDRW problem
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 02:35:02 GMT

"David W. Grumbine" wrote:

> I got a SCSI Yamaha 8824 CDRW for a Linux system.
> It's on an Alpha box with RedHat Linux 6.2.  Anyway,
> the drive works fine to read CD's and play audio CD's.
> It also *seems* to write CD's ok.  In other words,
> there are no errors given while it writes.
>
> But here is the problem.  When trying to read the
> newly written CD, there are *always* small bunches of
> byte-level errors seperated by between 1Mb to 3Mb of
> correct information.  Then, whatever file these errors
> happen to occur in has problems.  (For example, if it's
> in a gzip'ed file, there are errors upon trying to
> unzip it.)

I had some problems with my Yamaha 8424S SCSI CDRW when I first got it,
it would give some intermittent problems.  I fooled around with the
cabling and termination, that seemed to help.  But...  I was using it on
a PII-350mHz system with an old Adaptec 1542 card, when I replaced that
card with an Adaptec 29160 (SCSI-3) my problems went away.  Could have
been that the older Adaptec was not able to keep up with my PII
processor, or was getting flaky?

TomW

From: Tom Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modules: can't find something.o
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 02:49:00 GMT

Dan Smith wrote:

> Whenever I install new modules, I try to do a modprobe to insert it, but it says it
>can't find the module.
>
> If I restart, then it works.  I've tried running depmod -a, but it doesn't make a
>difference... What is the deal?

Let's go over how modules are found.  The path to the modules directory,
for your kernel, is /lib/modules/xxxxx/, xxxxx is the version of the
kernel (run 'uname -a' to see the version.  Within that directory is a
file called 'modules.dep', this lists the relationships between modules
to each other (sometimes one module needs another loaded first).  When
you run a modprobe, it checks the file /etc/modules.conf to see what
modules are called for, if you don't have an entry (direct / indirectly
referencing the module) within that file, it won't be loaded.

For example, I have some OLD 10base-T ethernet cards that the system
cannot probe and identify, so they get skipped.  I place an entry into
/etc/modules.conf that says 'alias eth0 dmfe.o', this says "Hey! I have
an ethernet card installed that uses the
/lib/modules/2.2.17-mdk/net/dmfe.o module".  By making the entry in
/etc/modules.conf you are instructing the kernel loader to insert that
module, expect it to be ethernet, and activate it.

Instead of using modprobe, try using 'insmod dmfe.o' (or whatever the
module's name is).

TomW

From: "Johannes B. Ullrich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel oops...
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:49:26 -0500

I am having some weird problems with a web server of mine. Basically a
vanilla K6-3 system. 2 IBM hard drives (software raid 1), linksys (Tulip)
ethernet card, DFI motherboard, 256 MByte RAM,

The machine was up for 400+ days under medium load, running a web/mail/dns
server. All for sudden, I started to see the kenel dumps shown below. They
go away for a while after
a reboot. While different programs cause them, ksymoops always implicates
the same virtual memory address: 0xffffe000.

Any guesses?? I think its some peice of hardware going bad. But which? Where
should I look next? The machine is colocated at an ISP, so I would like to
do as much remote diagnosis as possible first.

(sample oops and ksymoops output)

Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at
virtual address 013b0067
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 089e8000, %%cr3 = 089e8000
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: *pde = 00000000
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: Oops: 0000
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: CPU:    0
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: EIP:    0010:[remove_arg_zero+55/100]
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: EFLAGS: 00010206
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: eax: c3a31ba0   ebx: c3a31ba0   ecx: 00000001
edx: 013b0003
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: esi: c3a31ba0   edi: cdeee8e0   ebp: 00000001
esp: c5dbdf64
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   ss: 0018
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: Process httpd (pid: 27277, process nr: 335,
stackpage=c5dbd000)
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: Stack: ce8f5030 c012b827 cdeee8e0 c3a31ba0
00000001 ce8f5000 ce8f5000 083abac0
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel:        bffffae0 ce8f5022 0000000e 300182bd
c012b8d8 ce8f5000 cdeee8e0 00000001
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel:        c5dbc000 083aa0b8 c0129952 083abac0
00000001 c5dbc000 083aa0b8 c0108fe8
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: Call Trace: [do_execve+135/480]
[do_execve+312/480] [sys_mount+470/780] [restore_sigcontext+16/440]
Mar  1 20:52:57 server kernel: Code: 8b 42 64 85 c0 74 50 83 78 2c 00 74 4a
bb 00 e0 ff ff 21 e3

Code;  00000000 Before first symbol
00000000 <_EIP>:
Code;  00000000 Before first symbol
   0:   8b 42 64                  movl   0x64(%edx),%eax
Code;  00000003 Before first symbol
   3:   85 c0                     testl  %eax,%eax
Code;  00000005 Before first symbol
   5:   74 50                     je     57 <_EIP+0x57> 00000057 Before
first symbol
Code;  00000007 Before first symbol
   7:   83 78 2c 00               cmpl   $0x0,0x2c(%eax)
Code;  0000000b Before first symbol
   b:   74 4a                     je     57 <_EIP+0x57> 00000057 Before
first symbol
Code;  0000000d Before first symbol
   d:   bb 00 e0 ff ff            movl   $0xffffe000,%ebx
Code;  00000012 Before first symbol
  12:   21 e3                     andl   %esp,%ebx

------------------------------

From: Tom Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: External modem on ThinkPad
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 02:59:48 GMT

John Dixon wrote:

> I have a TP A20m with an internal Lucent winmodem.  It works very well
> in data mode with the *very* snazzy linmodem driver.   For some reason,
> however, it does not work in fax mode, giving a "no response/command
> from remote" signal.  An old USRobotic pc card modem in this machine
> does fax stuff fairly well.
>
> So...I had an Aopen M56-EX/2 external hardware modem unused, so decided
> to hook it up to the TP for home/office use.
>
> For some reason the ThinkPad doesn't recognize it...indeed, it doesn't
> seem to be scanning the serial ports at boot - as does my Desktop with
> the exact same Mandrake 7.2 distro running the 2.4.2 kernel.  Is there
> something special that needs to be done to get a ThinkPad to recognize
> its serial port?  BTW, this external modem is flawlessly detected by
> Win98 on this machine, and works perfectly.
>
> How can I get Linux to see my serial port/ external modem?  I'm sure
> that I'm missing something incredibly obvious.

A little detective work is needed here, NEVER assume that cabling is
correct, etc.  Let's assume that the modem is on the COM1: serial
port...  Login as root, make sure that the modem device exists (ls -l
/dev/modem) and it points to /dev/ttyS0.  If not, then make a symlink
for the /dev/modem and have it point to /dev/ttyS0 (ln -s /dev/ttyS0
/dev/modem).  Next, run 'minicom'.  You should get some AT commands on
the screen, followed by an OK.  If not, start checking cables, etc.

You could boot windoze, run hyperterminal and see if you can see the
modem from there.  This would give you more information to work with and
help to identify the problem.

TomW

From: Tom Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:03:20 GMT

Cubic Meter wrote:

> I have Mandrake 7.2 installed on a 6.4 gig HD. How do I go about installing
> W98 also? I'm kinda new to Linux. Thanks.
>
> m^3

Run the linux fdisk, delete all partitions, (w)rite the partition table
out, reboot to Win98 startup floppy, run windoze fdisk, create a small
windoze partition, reboot, format C: /s /u, install Win98, then install
Linux.

TomW

BTW.  Windoze fdisk WILL NOT remove linux partitions, you must do this
from linux.

From: dangerouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB - Vaio PCG F-701
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 20:26:57 -0700

I have a Vaio laptop and cat get to the bios by hitting F2 just after the
Sony logo appears.

------------------------------

From: Tom Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Freecom CD-RW/DVD COMBO  internal IDE
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:10:39 GMT

Andrew Ellington wrote:

> Anyone know any reason why this drive wouldn't work with linux?
>
> Haven't bought it yet and can't think of a reason why it wouldn't go but
> since it's relatively new /slightly unusual drive just thought I'd ask.
>
> AJ

Look here:
'http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html'

Then here: 'http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/faq05.html#[5-1]'

Then seriously think about getting a SCSI controller, like a cheap-o
Adaptec 1540, then shell out $175 for a Yamaha 8424S drive (works very
well for me).  All-in-all, I don't regret the money I have spent on a
decent SCSI setup (two IBM Ultra160 18G drives, HP SureStore 2000 tape
drive, and the Yamaha CDRW), two things you can say about SCSI: fast,
reliable!

Regards,

TomW

From: Tom Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: realtek suxx
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:14:29 GMT

Jan Francsi wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Maybe you want to try
>
> http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/de/html/mjb_rtl8139_24.html
>
> It says, that the name of the module has changed.
>
> For kernel 2.4, you must set a new link:
>
> cd /lib/modules/2.4.0-4GB/kernel/drivers/net
>                      ln 8139too.o rtl8139.o
>                      depmod -a

If that doesn't work, don't use a module!  Go into your ethernet 10mbit
kernel configuration, disable ALL other ethernet cards, then set the
RTL8139 selection to <*> (not as module, but as part of the kernel)!  If
you make it a module then it has to be recognized, or specified in
/etc/modules.conf, in order for the rtl8139.o module to be loaded &
executed.  If you include the rtl8139 code within the kernel then it
WILL scan for a card!

TomW