From: "Marcel Gorjup" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel 810
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:38:59 +0100

now i have instales the driver and i can start sax and kde but i have to
write this everytime  i boot new

insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/misc/agpgart.o
mknod /dev/agpgart c 10 175

you know a way i didnt make it after a new boot
how can i start sax or kde without put this after a new reboot
sorry for my bad english

news:dUcq6.475$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "David Glick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suse Linux 7.0 on LCD + SIS630
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:02:49 GMT

I'm running SuSE 7.1 on a Prostar 2250 laptop (SiS 630) with X.  I could
not get 4.x to work (I read a note somewhere about the SiS 630 4.x driver
being buggy), so I use 3.3.6 instead.  I didn't take time to figure out how
to make the native driver work, but the framebuffer mode is all I need for
my development work.

--
David Glick
Transmit Consulting, Inc

From: Alex Ayala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Voodoo 5500
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:08:47 GMT

Is anyone using a Voodoo 5500? I was wondering if they worked well with
linux.

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xplaymidi vs. AC97 V2.1 CODEC Compliant
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:06:04 GMT

Hi,

My Linux system is composed of an Asus K7M mobo with an AMD Athlon CPU and
it is setup with SuSE-.70 Pro Linux distro.  The audio hardware system is
based on the Analog Device 3D sound chipset (I believe the chipset is
AD1881) and it is an AC97 V2.1 CODEC compliant.  I also have installed
rosegarden-2.1pl2 software and I would like to be able to play the midi
file while I am using the rosegarden to create/type in the notes.  I
realized that the rosegarden software requires xplaymidi and my Linux
system does not seem to have installed a copy of playmidi software.  A
search through SuSE' FTP site yielded nothing about playmidi source code.
Then, I found a copy of the playmidi-2.4.src.rpm source off the
ftp.redhat.com site and just downloaded, compiled, and installed playmidi
package.  It looked just fine; however, when I tried to manually play a
midi song using xplaymidi, it complained "could not find the midi device"
even though I have manually told it to use /dev/midi, i.e. xplaymidi -D
/dev/midi song-title.midi.  When I looked at the playmidi.c source code, it
does not seem to have any AD1881 chipset support.  I am wondering if anyone
has managed to run playmidi on an ASUS K7M under Linux and would like to
lend his/her hand to help me out.

TIA.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Ricoh mp7040a
Date: 10 Mar 2001 15:30:12 GMT

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001 18:57:53 -0800, The Webbs staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I need to know if there are any linux drivers for linux-mandrake with
>the ricoh mp7040a cd-burner

There are no drivers for a Ricoh MP7040A specifically, but there are
drivers for the general class of devices it belongs to:

If this is a SCSI device:  no setup necessary, just run cdrecord.

If this is an IDE device:  Boot the system with "linux hdX=ide-scsi"
where X is the place the drive is attached (a for primary master, b for
primary slave, c for secondary master, d for secondary slave).  Once the
system has booted, log in as root and do "modprobe ide-scsi sg".  Run
"cdrecord -scanbus" to make sure the thing worked; post *all* the error
messages if it didn't.  Remember that your CD-R(W) will now be readable
from /dev/scd0 instead of /dev/hdX, so change the /dev/cdrom link.

If this is a parport device:  Similar to the IDE device, except no boot
parameters are needed and you need to load a different series of
modules.  See the HOWTO for full documentation.

If this is a USB device:  Go to http://linux-usb.org/ and do a search on
that model.  USB devices should follow the Mass Storage Specifications,
and those which do should just work as SCSI devices, but not every
manufacturer follows the specs.

Next time, give a little more information about the hardware you're
trying to get working, the distro you're using (Mandrake 6.5?  7.1?),
what you've tried already, and any error messages you get.  Read the
HOWTO below, too.

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Multiple identical cards in one box?
Date: 10 Mar 2001 15:30:14 GMT

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:32:28 GMT, Genesis staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>    I was wondering how well it would work to have two
>identical Ethernet (or whatever) cards on one box?
>
>Say I have two Linksys LNE100-TX (tulip) in my box, will it work
>to have this in the /etc/modules.conf (/etc/conf.modules)
>alias eth0 tulip
>alias eth1 tulip
>options tulip options=0 debug=1
>??
>Then there is that pesky options line, how would that work?

That should work just fine.  The options= line will be used for both
cards.  The only problem you may have is that you cannot easily control
which card is eth0 and which one is eth1.  The first card the PCI-scan
finds should be recognized as eth0.

From: "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config,redhat.general,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: HELP - Dual Input Monitor
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:46:21 GMT

I am currently working on the second variant (Matrox G450 dual head on RH7).
It is quite a hazzle.
According to Matrox you need first to install XFree86 4.0.2 (not included in
RH7 yet). Then get a new driver mga.o and install it.
You will have to modify the X configuration files.

I would be interested in any help on that myself.

Thanks
Martin

"Michael Meissner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Jeff Gentry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am researching dual input monitors.
> > I will soon be upgrading to RedHat 7.0 on an Intel x86 host
> > platform due to project constraints.
> > I have limited work space but a generous equipment budget.
> > Can someone tell me if RedHat will support dual input monitors?
> > If so, can I get the vendor and model numbers for the video card(s)
> > and monitor?
>
> I don't know what you mean by dual input monitors.  I imagine it could
either
> mean monitors that take 2 separate inputs from different computers, or you
mean
> having one computer drive 2 monitors.
>
> The first case is purely hardware, and Linux wouldn't notice whether or
not
> another box is connected to the same monitor or not.  If this is case, I
would
> suggest you look at a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse switcher) instead of
just
> switching the monitor, because you still need 2 keyboards, and 2 mice.
Sooner
> or later, you will have one system showing on the monitor in front of you,
and
> type on the other keyboard or mouse.  You definately want an electronic
KVM and
> not a mechanical switch.  Prices are $150 - $1000 depending on features.
Also,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Eagle)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sound Cards
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:49:30 GMT

If you've got 2.4 and XFree 4.02, run SuperProbe to be sure of your
chipset and sound card.

Black Eagle

------------------------------

From: Mark Dickie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: via82cxxx rate setting problem
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:59:27 +0000

Matthias Burghardt wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm running Linux (kernel version 2.4.) on an Elitegroup K7VZA board with
> VIA82C686 south bridge on it. After upgrading to 2.4.1. playback rate was
> permanently locked at 48 kHz. Before it worked w/ ALSA 0.5.9 and under
> win95. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
>
> Matthias

I have had nothing but trouble with the OSS drivers for the 686A and
suggest that you move back to the alsa drivers which seem to be far
superior.  I have run a variety of cards on my system with the best results
always coming from the alsa drivers.

--
Mark Dickie
[EMAIL PROTECTED] --home--

------------------------------

From: "Callum McKenzie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: toshiba / alsa sound problems
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:12:42 +0500

> I have a toshiba laptop.  It uses the yamaha YMF754 sound chip.
I have exactly the same problem with my Satellite 2805-S301, its
only the PCM channel and you can still hear music/whatever
underneath the buzz.

> So - anyone have any ideas?
I've tried both the alsa and the kernel drivers for the card, both have
exactly the same problem. However Windows ME doesn't, but ME
sucks even for Windows.

Occaisionally the machine boots and there are no sound problems.
I have not come up with a systematic way of getting it to do this, but
removing the battery and all other power sources for a minute or
two *seems* to increase the chances it will happen. Sometimes the
buzz has completely gone, other times you can still hear it if the
volume is all the way up.

I have upgraded the BIOS on the machine (to the 1.2 revision I
think, but I can't be sure), but this doesn't help.

 - Callum

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Subject: Re: laser printer for Linux
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:32:32 GMT

In article <98cbjc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jonathan Abbey wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>| In article <98avvf$9kq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jon Abbey wrote:
>|
>| >The only thing is, the 2100TN doesn't have the physical console that
>| >the 4050 has, so you'll need a Windows (or Mac?) box on your local
>| >network to run the software needed to assign 2100TN an I.P. address.
>|
>| Doesn't the 2100TN have an embedded HTTP page for config?
>| It's a new enough printer that it should. Especially for a TCP/IP capable
>| printer. If not, shame on HP... :-(
>
>No, it does.  The thing is, you have to give the 2100TN an IP address
>before you can access it with a web browser. ;-) The Windows software
>does a broadcast or something, looking for the unconfigured printer in
>order to assign it an IP address.

Duh :-/  Right. I forgot that the front panel usually comes in handy
for the IP assignment, and this printer doesn't have one.

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply direct, remove both underscores (_) from my email name

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Subject: Re: modem question...
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:33:09 GMT

Check www.linhardware.com

From: Tom Gafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI-III IBM harddisk at Adaptec 2940UW
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 08:48:02 -0800

> I have connected an IBM SCSI-III harddisk (DDYS-T18350N) to an Adaptec
> 2940UW adapter on the wide channel. At the moment for testing the
> harddisk it is the only device at the adapter (accept an active terminator).

<snip>

> Other devices (two harddisks, a CD-ROM drive, a tape-drive) on the
> narrow channel are working fine.
>
> Windows NT 4 is also installed is working correct with the IBM harddisk.

<snip>
The 2940UW, as opposed to the U2W, has a single segment SCSI bus. This means
that the cabling for ALL your devices is one big electrical circuit.  If the
Linux driver tries to run a transfer at the top UW speed, the fast bus
signals are going out over the (usually longer and poorer at high speed
signal handling) narrow cabling as well, and this can produce a lot of
problems.  You are far better off upgrading to a 2940U2W or 29160 if you
want to run this mix of peripherals.  Alternatively, (and a bit cheaper),
you can get a 2930 to run the narrow guys (assuming you don't need CD boot),
and dedicate the 2940 to your IBM.  I have a U2W with the same drive you
have, on its separate LVD segment, and it works great.  As to termination,
you need an external wide single ended (active, of course) terminator at the
IBM drive, and an external active terminator at the last narrow device
(unless it has a built-in active terminator -- if it has resistor packs,
remove them and go external) and you have to make absolutely sure that
termination in the controller and all the other devices is turned OFF,
except for the controller-resident high byte terminator, which should be
forced ON (settable in the ctrl-A menu the controller displays at startup).
You could also try to limit the transfer speed of the IBM drive in the
adaptec setup so that it doesn't transfer fast and cause trouble on the
narrow bus.  But first make sure your termination is right. When termination
is wrong, it produces all kinds of black magic including working on one OS
and not another, working with a long cable but not a short one, etc.

------------------------------

From: Tom Gafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: laser with lpd setup
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 08:48:46 -0800

I upgraded to SuSE 7.1 and the printed files now get deleted from the remote
spool area.

------------------------------

From: "Pat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware compartibility
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:56:19 GMT

Hi,
I am looking into building a PC with AMD 1GHz (T-Bird) processor and ASUS
A7V133 Socket A motherboard. Does anyone know if the current version of
linux (Red Hat or Mandrake) will run in such platform?
Thanks in advance,
Pat

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:41:43 GMT

Matthias Burghardt wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm running Linux (kernel version 2.4.) on an Elitegroup K7VZA board with
> VIA82C686 south bridge on it. After upgrading to 2.4.1. playback rate was
> permanently locked at 48 kHz. Before it worked w/ ALSA 0.5.9 and under
> win95. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
>
> Matthias

Ihave an Asus K7M mobo and it worked just find with ALSA-driver-0.5.10b;
howver, when I upgraded to the latest alsa-driver releases, it fails to
function and have installed the alsa-driver-0.5.10b version since.

------------------------------

From: "psheer AT icon DOT co DOT za" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting an HP 9350 CDR/W to work?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:54:37 +0200

In article <3aa93772$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "psheer AT icon DOT co DOT za"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (please reply to "psheer AT icon DOT co DOT za")
>
> The HP 9350 is a 10 speed CD writer
>
> Does anyone have this working on Linux?

I guess I answered my own question

The Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 9300 or 9350i (on the box)
works perfectly under Linux at full ten speed.

just use scsi-ide emulation and disable ide-cdrom support, both
in the kernel and then
        cdrecord -scanbus
        cdrecord dev=0,1,0 ...

-paul

--
Paul Sheer Consulting IT Services . . . Tel . . . +27 21 761 7224
Linux development, cryptography, installations, support, training

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:44:13 GMT

moca wrote:

> Is this modem compatible with Linux?
> 3COM/U.S. Robotics 56K  Voice INT PnP ISA> >>
>
> chipset : motorola
>

> I can't find dirve for it
> anybody can tell me ???
> please.........

I am not modem expert; however, if I were you, I would check the 3COM site
to see if such a hardware is winmodem.  If so, there is a slight chance
this winmodem is supported under linmodem driver (I don't have the site off
my head, unfortuantely).

------------------------------

From: "Luca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KT7A RAID et Linux
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 17:05:27 GMT

"Torsten Clay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Try Mandrake 7.2
>
> It installed ok on my KT7A Raid using IDE4, although I had to turn
> off the "autotune" kernel option in Grub/Lilo to get it to boot
> with the 2.2.x kernel.

Torsten, I have the same setup on my computer.  Linux run fine from hdg
(master, 4th IDE channel), but I need to boot from a floppy.  LILO hangs on
LI.  So here's my question:  how did you turn off the "autotune" option for
Lilo?

Thanks in advance.

Luca