Linux-Hardware Digest #472, Volume #14           Mon, 12 Mar 01 15:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Help with Ftape / T3000 drive (Allan R. Batteiger)
  Re: cannot mount new SCSI cd-burner scd0 (Paul Lew)
  Re: Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: How do I get CDRW and CDROM to function??? (john green)
  Alsa-project???? (mmcca)
  Re: Q: Epson Stylus Color 680 ("Nigel Wilkinson")
  Re: Diamond Supra Express (Tim)
  Re: fax problem (Giulio Orsero)
  ISDN TA's (again) ("Darren Davison")
  help configuring :modem and sound card (lionelh)
  Re: Fujitsu HDD crash under kernel 2.4.2 (Kirill Kozmin)
  My Netgear FA311 ethernet card IS WORKING under Linux (David Cutler)
  Re: Newbie with Sound Card Problem - Does not last! (David Cutler)
  ttyS00 & ttyS0 (ken pile)
  Re: Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working (David Cutler)
  Re: VIA82Cxxx Install Probs - MD 7.1 (Patrick F Harris)
  Re: RedHat 7.0 and Compaq PL 4500. (Trevor Hemsley)
  Re: what is device ide1(22,0) and why it keep saying VFS: Disk change detected ?
(Trevor Hemsley)

Subject: Help with Ftape / T3000 drive
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allan R. Batteiger)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:20:45 GMT

Greetings
   I am running RH 7.0 (Kernel 2.2.17-14).  I have a HP/Colorado T3000 tape
drive on that system.  I have tried to use both ftape.o and ztape.o with no
success.   When I use the command "mt -f /dev/rft0 rewind" it accesses the
floppy drive not the tape drive.  I have reread the HOW-To several times
and tried several variations but I cannot get the the tape to work.   This
system is an web/ftp/email server.   It only has a couple of hundred of MB
to backup.  Anyone have any experience with something like this that could
shed some light ?

Allan R. Batteiger
Real-Time Services Inc.
2530 Tarpley #600
Carrollton Tx. 75006
972-245-4239

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew)
Subject: Re: cannot mount new SCSI cd-burner scd0
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:56:03 GMT

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 00:49:34 +0100, Bora Ugurlu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Darren and Marla Welson wrote:
>
>> I have added a SCSI CD-R to my system, but I cannot mount it because the
>> device, /dev/scd0, has no module (?) and cannot be mounted.  I am not
>> sure what else to do, since the OS is installed on a HD on the same SCSI
>> card--so I know it works.  I do not know what else to try.
>>
>> Darren
>>

>You need the SCSI CDROM support in the kernel to use /dev/scdx devices.
>
>Whereas, you can use sg0 instead od scd0 (or was it sr0?)
>
>Check SCSI-howto's, it's the best..

Don't know what distro/kernel-ver you are using, but the "default" 2.4.x
kernels require one to set the config enable scsi cd-rom support (separate
settings for cd-rom and tape) before compiling.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:41:50 +0100

In comp.os.linux.hardware aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>> DO it again, this time correctly! Compile against the sources of your
>> running kernel, not against something else.  It's likely you are being

> He could try, but it won't work. The supplied source does not compile.

It most certainly DOES compile. Or do you imagine that the writers did
it blindfold?

> He needs to snag the Redhat 7.0 version and recompile.

No. He needs to ...

>> befuddled by your distributors use of one set of kernel header files in
>> /usr/include/linux, and another set in /usr/src/linux/include.

unbefuddle himself (and redhat).

Peter

------------------------------

From: john green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I get CDRW and CDROM to function???
Date: 12 Mar 2001 17:04:44 +0000

SImon Fearby <fearby@*nospam*ntl.com> writes:

> > ln -s scd0 cdrom
> > ln -s hdd cdrom2
> >
> > If it gives you the error "file exists" then just remove the offending
> > file (you are about to recreate it anyway).

> Forgive my ignorance but what files are the offending ones???

If you

  cd /dev

as root, then

  ln -s scd0 cdrom

will fail if cdrom exists (this is a feature :-)). If so,
then you just need to delete cdrom before doing the ln -s.

See

  man ln

for details.

Good luck!

-j
--
J.J.Green, Dept. Applied Math. University of Sheffield, UK
http://www.arbs.demon.co.uk

------------------------------

From: mmcca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Alsa-project????
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:36:05 GMT

Can any of the developed drivers, and for which sound card, in the
alsa-project take advantage of CDrom digital output of an audio CD?
This would be nice since the audio output of the CD is subjected to
computer generated electro-magnetic noise.  And what is that capability
called?

Mike

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Wilkinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Q: Epson Stylus Color 680
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:39:03 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Phillip Deackes"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Javier Conti
> wrote:
>>Hi, does anyone here has a fully working Epson Stylus Color 680? Mine
>>works but when I try to use the 670 driver (from the gimp) to use
>>720x720 dpi it prints a very blurred image.
>>
>>Is someone aware of a 680 specific filter? or a driver for the gimp?

I'm useing the gimp-print plugin version 4.1.5 which supports the 680

Have a look at
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

------------------------------

From: Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond Supra Express
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:56:00 -0500

Hi,

Sirius wrote:

> I'm in the UK and want to buy a good modem to use with Linux. I don't want
> to spend too much as I hope that I can move up from V90 before too long. I'm
> hoping for comments about Diamond Supra Express PCI V90 modems.
>
> Are they good?

I am using a Diamond Supra Express right now. It works fine. Read the
requirements on the side of the box very carefully; if they claim the
modem will work in DOS, then it will work in Linux.

> Easy to use for a Linux newbie?

The Supra Express is set up as a "winmodem" out of the box. There are a
set of jumpers on the board that will have to be reset. I recommend you
set the modem to the DOS settings mentioned in the manual: Port 2, IRQ
4. Then you must go into the BIOS and disable the onboard Port 2. You
should be in business.

If your serial port is already in use by another device, then you will
have to set your modem to Port 3 and find an unused IRQ. If you are
dual-booting with Windows, go into the Win device manager and find out
what settings are listed there. Win generally assigns internal modems to
Port 3, and IRQ 11, or similar. You will have to check the modem's
manual and set the jumpers to the same port and IRQ as listed in Win
device manager. Now you will have to add a file to the startup routine:

As "root", create a file called "/etc/rc.d/rc.serial". It will look
something like this:

setserial /dev/ttyS2 UART 16550A port 0x3e8 irq 11 spd_vhi

Again, use the IRQ listed in Win device manager. Test the modem with
minicom--it should be working.

Good Luck!
Tim

--
Timothy J. Schutte
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Giulio Orsero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fax problem
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:00:03 +0100

Heiko Brüning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto:

>I've got a class2 faxmodem and want to send faxes, but sendfax tells me my
>modem isn't a class2 /2.0. But my manual tells me it is. Does nybody know
>what's wrong?

Go into terminal mode on the modem and issue
at+fclass=?
it will tell you what fax class it does support.

From: "Darren Davison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISDN TA's (again)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:59:38 -0000

hi,

I'm still struggling to find good info on ISDN TA's and linux (2.4.1).  Does
anyone have any info, or pointers to info on making these damn things work?
Supposedly mine supports a subset of AT commands which would make you think
it could be treated like a modem.  Unfortunately, minicom and the TA aren't
on speaking terms so I can't verify this.

I have found nothing of immediate use in the ISDN, PPP, USB or Serial
HOW-TO's for solving this problem.

Many thanks,

--
Darren Davison

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (lionelh)
Subject: help configuring :modem and sound card
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:55:55 GMT

Hello fans of linux,

I've installed Suse Linux 6.3 and i can't configure my sound card
(ESS) i've try alsa but it doesn't work.

I can't configure my internal modem (Toshiba V.90 internal modem)

------------------------------

From: Kirill Kozmin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: Fujitsu HDD crash under kernel 2.4.2
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:43:27 +0100

Where can I get this patch?

------------------------------

From: David Cutler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My Netgear FA311 ethernet card IS WORKING under Linux
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:08:55 GMT

I saw the same thing as you did when I ran "insmod fa311" (note that you need only
type fa311, not fa311.o here) in SuSE Linux 6.4.  But it was easy to fix this.  I
simply copied the "fa311.c" and "fa311.h" files from the Netgear floppy, and
compiled a new "fa311.o" based on my own running kernel (2.2.14).  Then, "insmod
fa311" worked just fine.
My fa311 card has been working great under Linux for months now, and I don't have
to do anything special like restart X or whatever.  It just plain WORKS, with no
problems.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: David Cutler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie with Sound Card Problem - Does not last!
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:16:40 GMT

I have exactly the same problem as you do.  Yes, this Compaq BIOS truly sucks.  My
setup is exactly the same as yours, and I have tried using IRQ 5 and IRQ 7 and
various other IRQs.  But invariably, the problem I had was that when playing .wav or
.mp3 files, they would play for a while and then cut out, and I would see the kernel
message "Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error."  This was very
repeatable, but would happen after an unpredictable amount of time.  It was very
disappointing, and I finally gave up on trying to get my ESS 1888 onboard audio
working under Linux.  I wish I knew how to solve this, but I don't.
But I could play CD's just fine, like you could.
I'm building a new PC now, and plan to buy the Ensoniq PCI sound blaster card to go
in it.  My brother-in-law has used it with no problems.

------------------------------

From: ken pile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: ttyS00 & ttyS0
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:26:25 +0000

I can not get my system to recognise my modem. It has worked fine before
but
recently it refuses to detect. I am running SuSE 7.0 (2.2.16-SMP). I
suspect the problem
is since I flash upgraded my bios on the Mobo (Gigabyte GA6-BXD). The
reason
I suspect this is because I have noticed that when booting up I get the
message that
the kernel has detected ports ttyS00 & ttyS0 instead of just ttyS0. I am
running an
ADSL modem plugged into COM1 with COM2 disabled.
If I enable COM2 also in CMOS then the kernel detects ttyS00, ttyS0,
ttyS01 and
ttyS1. I have never seen this before, and so I suspect that this is why
my modem wont
detect ( modem works fine in windoze, all flavours ). I have done a
clean install of SuSE
so I can be sure I have not set anything wrong.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

------------------------------

From: David Cutler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:29:53 GMT

I forgot to mention that after compiling the new fa311.o, you of course have to
copy it to /lib/modules/2.2.14/net/ or wherever your network module objects go.
Then, type "insmod fa311".  Be sure to add "alias eth0 fa311" to your modules.conf
file.

------------------------------

From: Patrick F Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VIA82Cxxx Install Probs - MD 7.1
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:38:52 -0600

I got this chip set to work with sound with the redhat 6.95 without much
trouble. I just tries insmod on a couple of the sound drivers, one of them
worked,  I am not using any of the ALSA stuff. When I get back to the system I
will post the detailes.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: RedHat 7.0 and Compaq PL 4500.
Date: 12 Mar 2001 19:58:32 GMT

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:40:45, "Ole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Have anyone installed RedHat 7.0 on a Compaq PL 4500? I have tried, and I
> did'nt succeed. My PL 4500 is equipped with a Compaq SMART-2/E array
> controller (on which the disks are connected) and a Compaq 32-bit Fast and
> Wide SCSI-2/E controller (on which the CD-drive is connected). The problem I
> run into is that I have no driver for the Compaq 32-bit Fast and Wide
> SCSI-2/E controller. Does anyone know about such a driver?

It'll use one of the SymBIOS/NCR chipsets - probably a 53c875 - and
will want to use one of the SYM or NCR drivers.

Is the PL4500 an EISA machine?

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: what is device ide1(22,0) and why it keep saying VFS: Disk change
detected ?
Date: 12 Mar 2001 19:58:33 GMT

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 05:28:06, "susie chu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> What device on ide1(22,0) ?

trevor4:/home/trevor/cdrom # ls -la /dev/hdc
brw-rw----   1 root     disk      22,   0 Nov  8  1999 /dev/hdc

Got something called MagicDev installed? Uninstall it.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.