Linux-Hardware Digest #485, Volume #14           Thu, 15 Mar 01 18:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Oki 320T & Decwriter printers on RH 6.1 ? ("Brian Richardson")
  Re: Looking for Phoneline networking help (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Processor ID
  Re: Processor ID
  serial/parallel port card ("Rodney D. Myers")
  Re: Processor ID
  Re: Netgear FA311 NIC (Anthony Schlemmer)
  Re: Processor ID (Kasper Dupont)
  CDRom stopped working ("Martha Winslow")
  Help Installing AIT2 Autoloader (Neil Watson)
  Tape Drive OnStream ECHO30 Internal IDE. Good Choice? (Will Sergent)
  HP Omnibook 4150b (AtiRage Mobility) which FB-Device (Konstantinos Agouros)
  Re: Help Installing AIT2 Autoloader (Neil Watson)
  Reccomendations for system for high data throughput (Pranab Kumar Nag)
  Re: is Diamond Max Plus 60 OK (s)
  Re: Reccomendations for system for high data throughput (xuare)
  Tape drive support (JP)
  3com ethernet 3 and cmi onboard audio problems...pls help!! ("Exodus")
  Re: 2.4.2 vs Adaptec 7896 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ATA 100 / UDMA 4/5 on 815 board ("Me")
  Re: VIA82Cxxx Install Probs - MD 7.1 ("Me")
  Re: What UPSs does RHL7 support out of the box? ("Me")

From: "Brian Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Oki 320T & Decwriter printers on RH 6.1 ?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:13:24 -0500

Does anyone know which printer drivers/filters installed on a typical RH 6.1
(2.2.12-20 kernel) load
will support Okidata ML 320T and Decwriter III printers ?  Using printtool
from Gnome
doesn't specifically list either of these in the printer filter list, and I
couldn't find references
to either when I looked through the various related file manually from the
command line.
A couple of older Epson dot matrix printers have been installed and work
just fine.

Each of these will be printing only simple text.  This machine is a
production dbms server, so I
have to be a bit careful about any changes I make (e.g.,
installing/upgrading/recompiling any modules, etc)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brian

Subject: Re: Looking for Phoneline networking help
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Mar 2001 12:41:51 -0500

enkidu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Frédérique Vernhes wrote:
> >
> > - I have 2 other Pentium running Win 98. These 2 pentiums
> > are networked using our home phoneline. We used Linksys
> > USB phoneline network adapters. Works great.
> >
> How do these work? Do they send IP packets over the phone
> wires, probably using a different pair to the phones? How
> do you connect them to the Internet?

As I understand it, they use the same 2 pair as your phone lines, but use a
frequency above or below human speech, so that it can coexist on the same wire.
DSL is sent the same way, which is why you have all the restrictions about who
can get DSL (ie, length from office, only travelling over copper wire, etc.).
The encoding within the frequency should be the same as ethernet normally uses
over UTP (unshielded twisted pair).  Because of using part of the frequency
spectrum, and the fact that voice grade wiring is cat3 (and even then in the
real world you probably have a lot of sub-cat3 wiring) and not cat5 spec (which
100Mbs uses), is why you you only get 10Mbs max.  Also going over a USB
connection is another potential bottleneck to speed.  Obviously, if you only
use a home network for sharing an internet connection, than it won't matter
that you can only get 10Mbs, unless you have a T3 connection to your house.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Processor ID
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:53:37 -0000

In article <987gkm$e3b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Victor Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>: IIRC, the x86 Linux kernel explicitly disables the processor ID
>: facility.

>If so, why the following in the help file for Configure of kernel 2.2.18?
>
>CONFIG_X86_CPUID
>  This device gives processes access to the x86 CPUID instruction to
>  be executed on a specific processor.  It is a character device
>  with major 203 and minors 0 to 31 for /dev/cpu/0/cpuid to
>  /dev/cpu/31/cpuid.

So you can have a choice of course.

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:56:43 -0000

In article <%SCp6.145757$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chronos Tachyon  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Actually, it's even easier than that.  With the vast majority of Ethernet
>drivers, it's as simple as "ifconfig eth0 hw ether 01:23:45:67:89:AB".
>Obviously, this never touches the firmware so the "real" MAC is not
>permanently altered.

It's a Good Thing too.  One place I was working got a shipment of
about 100 Intel NICS that came with the same MAC address.  Of course
we didn't find out until they were in the field ;(

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux

------------------------------

From: "Rodney D. Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: serial/parallel port card
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:03:30 -0800

Is there any particular serial/parallel port card that works with
Linux?

I need to try and get my printer working, and the onboard port isn't
doing it's job.

Rodney D. Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Member of Digital Freedom Alliance
Amateur: KG6ANX            GMRS: WPOM592
ICQ# : 18002350            Have A NORML Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:00:16 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kasper Dupont  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>MAC addresses of ethernet cards on the other
>hand are sent over the network every time you
>send a packet.

No, MAC addresses are sent only over your local
network *segment*.

>Can anybody explain WHY people are so unhappy
>about the CPUid?

One example: web browsers could start sending the id
as part of the http protocol which would increase
the ability of web sites to track users.

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux/

------------------------------

From: Anthony Schlemmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netgear FA311 NIC
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:04:12 GMT

You might try Don Becker's "natsemi" driver for the National Semiconductor
DP83815 which is the chip the FA-311 uses. That's what I'm using and it
works fine for me. I was unsuccessful in getting the fa311 driver I
downloaded from the NetGear website to work.

http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html

--
Anthony Schlemmer

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:54:08 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Kasper Dupont  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >MAC addresses of ethernet cards on the other
> >hand are sent over the network every time you
> >send a packet.
>
> No, MAC addresses are sent only over your local
> network *segment*.

Correct, but that is much longer than the CPUid
which is not sent anywhere.

> >Can anybody explain WHY people are so unhappy
> >about the CPUid?
>
> One example: web browsers could start sending the id
> as part of the http protocol which would increase
> the ability of web sites to track users.

The http protocol does not specify that the
client sends a CPUid.

Oh sure the browser could send a CPUid to a
server. But remember that the browser could also
send your MAC address to the server, together
with a copy of the 5 last emails you wrote, the
10 most frequently used names form your address
book, a listing of the last 20 transactions from
your homebanking system, your private RSA key,
and whatever other information you have stored
on your computer.

I have never heard about a browser doing any of
this, and I doubt anybody would be using it if
it existed.

So if you want to be paranoid look on the
software instead of some serial number on your
CPU, there are much worse thing software could
do.

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: "Martha Winslow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CDRom stopped working
Date: 15 Mar 2001 19:38:11 GMT

Hi,
    The CDROM in my RH 7.0 machine stopped working.  It was giving block
device read errors.  I replaced it with a new CDRom and now the machine
doesn't even recognize it as a valid device.  Do I need to do something
special to set it up?  I went through the bootup screen where it asked you
about the device.  I'm thinking that maybe my motherboard is funky.

Thanks,

Martha

------------------------------

From: Neil Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help Installing AIT2 Autoloader
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:44:54 GMT

Hello,

I've installed an autoloader my new server.  The server is running mandrake
7.2 with kernel 2.4.2.  The kernel finds the tape drive as can be seen in
dmesg and cat /proc/scsi/scsi.  However an I can't seem to find the correct
device file.  I've tried tar -cvf /dev/XXX /tmp where XXX is:

st0, st0l, st0m, and st0a.

I get the same message:

no such device.

Will anyone help me?

Neil Watson
http://webhome.idirect.com/~neilw

------------------------------

From: Will Sergent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tape Drive OnStream ECHO30 Internal IDE. Good Choice?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:51:17 -0500

I have to make a tape drive recommendation for someone and found this
drive:
http://www.onstream.com/desktop/di30_d.html  Anyone have experience with
this drive?
I checked the kernel docs and their are drivers for it.
Would this drive make a good choice for once a day backups of only a few
gigs or so?

   Will Sergent
   Cronosys LLC
   216.221.4600  X305

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Konstantinos Agouros)
Subject: HP Omnibook 4150b (AtiRage Mobility) which FB-Device
Date: 15 Mar 2001 20:58:00 +0100

Hi,

which framebuffer device should I use for a HP-Omnibook which has a AtiRage
Mobility chip (Kernel 2.4.2). It should be possible to use the laptop-
display with this device.

Konstantin
--
Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Otkerstr. 28, 81547 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185

------------------------------

From: Neil Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help Installing AIT2 Autoloader
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:46:44 GMT

Neil Watson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've installed an autoloader my new server.  The server is running
> mandrake
> 7.2 with kernel 2.4.2.  The kernel finds the tape drive as can be seen in
> dmesg and cat /proc/scsi/scsi.  However an I can't seem to find the
> correct
> device file.  I've tried tar -cvf /dev/XXX /tmp where XXX is:

Turns out that I'm a stupid git.  I did not enable scsi tape support in my
kernel.

DOH!

From: Pranab Kumar Nag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Reccomendations for system for high data throughput
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:49:31 -0500

I am in the process of designing a linux system for large scale data
analysis. The overall parameters are:

a. large storage requirements (1-4 Terabytes)
    The data files themeselves are 1-5 Gb each.
  . The files will be read only.
b.  The computing platform will be executing fairly simple repeated
analysis.

Are there any such projects around which discusses pros-cons of various
configurations of SANs, NAS and multi-processor environments which can
keep the cpu(s) fed with data all the time.

Thanks

-Pranab

------------------------------

From: s <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: is Diamond Max Plus 60 OK
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,corelsupport.linux.hardware_compatibility
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:16:03 -0600

I have one, and it works fine.  No problems whatsoever.  Both my hdds are
maxtor, the other one is an older one, but still working fine (just a
little noisier :) ).
-s

--
linux inside

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (xuare)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:07:52 GMT

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think ext2fs has a 2GB limit on file sizes.
This may be an issue for consideration...

-
The best defense is a good offense

perl -e 'print "begin 664
/dev/stdout\n\;\>\&UA\<S\`P0\&AE\;\&QG871E\+FAO\;65I\<\"YN970\*\n\`\nend\n"' | uudecode

------------------------------

From: JP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tape drive support
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:38:05 GMT

Does Linux (Rh 7.0 2.2.16-22) have support for DDS-2 DAT drives that
have autoloaders installed?

What device is used for this setup?

TIA

--

This week I are mostly been
avin problems wiv cable modems

------------------------------

From: "Exodus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com ethernet 3 and cmi onboard audio problems...pls help!!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:46:09 GMT

Hello,

I am a Linux newbie and cannot connect to the internet nor can i listen
audio.
I use a 3com ethernet III card it's a ISA/PNP device and it doesn't get
detected at all! :(
Also i use DHCP to connect and haven't got a clue where i most put in the
right information and what kind of information.

My other problem is the onboard audio, it's a CMI8330 chip, when i try to do
the SETUP from root login it will detect the chip automaticly but when
pressing the audio sample i get a weard error and that's it, all little
diferent setting's i try do not help :(

If you have had simular problems and or know how to deal/fix these then
please reply.

I also use Windows and the hardware run's fine there so it aint broke.

some spec's:

RedHat Linux 7
Pentium2 333 Mhz
64 MB SDRAM
Intel 440 LX MoBo (JetWay J-7XAS)
ASUS Geforce 6800 DDR

There is an other thing i like to know this is not realy a problem now but
whenever i boot into Xwindow/gnome whitout text login i alway's have to go
back to text and mount my cd roms and floppy disk by typing, is there a way
so they can be mounted during bootup? a .conf file i need to edit? i tryed
typing " mount /mnt/cdrom " in the inittab file but that didnt work after
reboot...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 2.4.2 vs Adaptec 7896
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:34:55 +1300

Hi,
I am having a similar problem with a Adaptec 7899 controller.  Under 2.4.2 the
kernel does not seem to detect the SCSI 7899 controller, which is in the
kernel,.  Hence it can not mount the root drive.

Nither 2.4.0 nor 2.4.1 have this problem.

Anyone have any ideas,
Dave.

From: "Me" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATA 100 / UDMA 4/5 on 815 board
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:32:36 GMT

Try this:
hdparm -c3 -d1 -X68 or X-69
If it speeds up your HD, then put it into rc.sysinit or rc.local

------------------------------

From: "Me" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VIA82Cxxx Install Probs - MD 7.1
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:37:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Malcolm Bebb"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Make sure it is enabled on the MB, including legacy support, then run
sndconfig from the console (not in Xwindows)
It will work, but sounds like crap.

From: "Me" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What UPSs does RHL7 support out of the box?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:59:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ronald Cole"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have used APC BacK-UPS Pro on redhat and mandrake. Make sure that you
use the 'gray' cable, and download Powerchute from APC...