From: "Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Woes
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 23:50:01 GMT

Here's the latest. I get the cards working (at least the one for the DSL)..
but I can't connect to the Internet.
I am using Verizon as my IP, configuration as follows:

Provider: bellatlantic.net
Primary DNS:
Secondary DNS:
Account info (filled in correctly)

When LM tests the connection, I see the DSL modem activity light blink like
crazy, yet it won't connect. I keep getting time-out errors. I am assuming
that this may be from not having the DNS set(?). In Win98, the DNS is
disabled, and I haven't found anything on verizon's website about DNS.....
so.... I don't know.

--

Charles

(Remove for email)

ICQ# 42872537

"Drew Roedersheimer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:l9Qu6.12320$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

| I would just plug one into a hub or something, ifconfig eth0 with the
proper
| address, etc (make sure eth1 is down `ifconfig eth1 down`) - then see if
you
| can ping another host or vice versa.  If this doesn't work, you know that
| the other card is eth0 (assuming there's no hardware issues, etc...)
|

| HTH
| -DR
|
| --
| Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use
it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: I have similar problem with parallel port
Date: 23 Mar 2001 23:54:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Wayne Huang
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>I have a HP LaserJet II connecting to LPT1. Under
>Win98, printer works fine. But I could not print
>under RH 6.1.  It complains that /dev/lp0 (or lp1)
>does not exist.  Even #echo "hell0" > /dev/lp0
>returned an error.
>
>How do know if RH 6.1 see the LPT1: and install
>the port driver ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Wayne
>A newbie on Linux
>
>David N. Haney wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>>Linux Gurus:
>>
>>I have purchased a new Compaq that included an IJ600 printer.  This
>>computer is for my son going off to college where Linux is critical.
>>I have installed Red Hat 6.2 and then Caldera Systems 2.4.  Neither
>>could get very far with this printer.  The printer works fine in
>>Windows98, and the computer parallel port works fine with an HP850,
>>thus it must be the Printer driver.  RH 6.2 recognizes the Compaq
>>printer as a Lexmark Inkjet 4103.
>>
>>The odd thing is that none of the printer drivers will do anything
>>to get the attention of the printer, even just sending ASCII text,
>>or using something like cat printcap > /dev/lp0.  The printer acts
>>dead, until you set it up in Windows98, all is fine.  RH has a couple
>>of Lexmark printer drivers, but neither do anything.  Caldera has
>>many more Lexmark printer drivers, but none of them work either.
>>
>>Any suggestions on how I might get this ?newer printer working?
>>Unfortunately, Compaq seems to have written LINUX off (maybe
>>they  like being abused by Microsoft).
>>
>>--

For the original problem --- make sure you don't have a"Win" printer which
depends on a special Windows program to work. That could also be the problem
in the second case as well. As I recall RedHat has some sort of graphical
printer control panel --- you could try that.

If you have a "Win" printer just say goodbye. Not too bad inkjets that will
work are available for about $149. There are hardware compatiblity howto's
around, and source Forge has a decent printer and driver database for Linux.

John Culleton

   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Ricoh 2100
Date: 24 Mar 2001 00:00:21 GMT

Anyone have experience (good, bad or whatever) with Ricoh Lasers,
particularly the large format 2100 model?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Suse vs RH/Mandrake ? (or what's so great about 7.2)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 00:19:25 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I've heard great things about the new Suse distro., but I was told by
> someone that I should use the same distro that I use at work.  At work
> we use Red Hat, at home I just setup Mandrake 7.1, but everyone says
> the new Suse distro is good and also Mandrake 7.2 is good.
>
> What are the differences of these distros and versions ?

See my Web page on distributions:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/

> Is there a different file structure or something different in each
> distro that will mess up my learning curve ?

Configuration files *ARE* different between distributions, although
there are certain commonalities. How much you'll be disturbed by the
differences depends on what you've learned and how different the
distributions are. Red Hat and Mandrake are pretty similar to each
other, but SuSE differs more from either of them than they do from each
other.

> Is the new software in mandrake 7.2 (or Suse) all that ?

That depends on your needs. You can get almost anything in Red Hat that
you can get in Mandrake or SuSE, though.

> Which is faster, I've got a few older machine I would like to install
> Linux on (P166/32 megs, etc) ?

Mandrake ships with Pentium optimizations on most or all of its
packages, so it may have a slight speed edge on Pentium and above
systems -- ASSUMING that no other factors negate that advantage. I doubt
if the difference would be very noticeable (I've not noticed it on my
Athlon 650 system, but I've also not done any careful benchmarks).

My advice: For casual or production use, use whatever's familiar to you,
unless you have a very specific and compelling reason to use something
else. If you want to learn about Linuxes in general or if you're
dissatisfied with what you've got now, go ahead and experiment, but not
on a production system.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: cHip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SBLive Problems
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 00:51:25 GMT

Well I finally got my SBLive to work with Linux!

It wasn't working right until I typed in modprobe each time so I stuck
modprobe in a random rc.d file. I tested it with a wav on root...woot it

worked!

So I go to my user account and try it out. When I click on a wav it just

says "exited." I simply dont get it! It wont play at all. I checked the
permisions and set chmod a+rwx example.wav. No luck. Does anyone know
why it would do this? I'm using K media player.

Thanks

-cHip

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 01:13:02 +0100

peter wrote:

> I've heard great things about the new Suse distro., but I was told by
> someone that I should use the same distro that I use at work.  At work
> we use Red Hat, at home I just setup Mandrake 7.1, but everyone says
> the new Suse distro is good and also Mandrake 7.2 is good.
>
> What are the differences of these distros and versions ?
>
> Is there a different file structure or something different in each
> distro that will mess up my learning curve ?
>
> Is the new software in mandrake 7.2 (or Suse) all that ?
>
> Which is faster, I've got a few older machine I would like to install
> Linux on (P166/32 megs, etc) ?

SuSE 7.1 is good.
But if you have to do anything at all with the setup at work, stay with
RedHat. The differences are quite small, though. Mainly in setup-tools.

Peter

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably
the day they start making vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge

------------------------------

From: "NyQuist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 01:11:47 -0000

Hi Charles,
Soz, the chart did wrap (and prolly confused you more)
/ (root) 4G
Swap that equals your RAM (256; 128, 64 etc)
Either /usr/local or /home (remainder) (You can have all the folders if you
want but only need three - the rest are setup by default in the / directory)
As for your PCI NIC's
at the console type
dmesg | less
Nb, that | character is shift-backslash
This brings up the boot messages; take a note of what it says about eth0 and
eth1; and post them, it will probably tell you there which card is which.
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/network/nicinstall.html
is a link to an install guide to NIC's
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/network/nicmodules.html
is an install link to driver modules for NIC's
exchange the module for your NIC with the one in the install guide.
Hope this helps

"Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:w6Hu6.656$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [...]
> were saying.
> Swap file=4G
> /USR/Local Or /Home= 128
> /= remainder of drive?
>
> This is a dedicated disk so I don't have to worry about Windows being
> "suffocated".
> The NIC's are not working.
> During Set-Up, they were recognized as eth0 and eth1, however, I have no
> idea which is which.
>
> --
>

> Charles
>

> (Remove for email)
>

> ICQ# 42872537
>

> "NyQuist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:6zBu6.30152$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> | Okey dokey.
> | Reinstall and do some different things
> | You only *need* three partitions.
> | One for /
> | One for Swap
> | And another /home or /usr/local (or anything really)
> | Make / you're largest; and also, 3 gig's each! - not even Windows is
that
> | bloated; you can fit LM7.2 with everything installed from the disks in
> | around 2.5G. Partition the drives this way (if you just want linux) (on
> your
> | 15G disk?)
> | ____________________________________________________________
> | |
> | |  S      |      /usr/local             |
> | |
> | | W      |           or                  |
> | |                                /
> | |  A      |        /home               |
> | |                              10G

> | |           4G                  |
> | |_____________________________________ |_128_|_________________|
> | If i were you though i'd cut the / partition to ~ 4G and /usr/local to
> 0.8G
> | (That's the most you'll need even if you're d/ling iso's all the time
> | (unless your box is for video editing)) and give bloated windows some
more
> | room to breathe.
> | Don't use any other loader; LILO is the best; and don't install to the
> MBR;
> | it can severly compromise some systems; install to the first bit of /.
> | everything boot wise should work then.
> | To get the two nic's working, make sure they're both being seen; they
will
> | prolly come up as eth0 and eth1. More info needed here. What have you
got
> | working (NIC-wise) so far?
> |

> | "Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> | news:mUxu6.604$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> | > Okay. I broke down, went and bought Linux Mandrake 7.2 Power Pack
> Deluxe.
> | > Now, here are the following problems so I am here to pick your brains
> | again
> | > <G>
> | >
> | > 1st- I have 2 NIC's on my system. One for DSL, one for LAN. How can I
> tell
> | > them apart in Linux? I can't get to the internet w/out at least the
DSL
> | one.
> | > (Netgear NIC for DSL and Linksys FA310 for LAN)
> | >
> | > 2nd- I am using PQBoot for the dual boot. However, it's not booting
> Linux.
> | > It stalls out on the display of "L I " I have the MBR (for Linux)
> | installed
> | > on the correct drive listed /dev/hdg1
> | > I have 6 partitions total for this disk, all for Linux. Does this
sound
> | > right? I can boot into Linux, but I have to use a boot disk.
> | > (Partitioned as "/", "swap", "/usr", "/home", "/var", "/usr/local"
each
> | with
> | > 3GB each, except swap.)
> | >
> | > Man, I will say this much... what a helluva different look and feel.
Now

------------------------------

From: "NyQuist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Realtek 8139 NIC problem as well as NFS
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 01:14:20 -0000

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/network/nicinstall.html
Try this link; it might work, but i guess you've already tried it.
Try switching card position, if you dual boot with win, look for devices
using the same irq:i/o:dma there may be a conflict with linux.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 02:20:39 GMT

Not a problem. I finally have LM up and running. However, (and I posted this
in linux.networking too), is this:

I got the internet connection working, however, I can't browse. I keep
getting "unknown hosts" errors...
I have been trying to read up on this with the how-to's, but, I'm an idiot
with LM, and I am still trying to figure things out (like how to get my damn
sound card working <G>).

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, in a plain ex-windows user language, I
would greatly appreciate it.

--

Charles

(Electrician's do it with *spark*!)

ICQ# 42872537

"NyQuist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:dwSu6.23566$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| Hi Charles,
| Soz, the chart did wrap (and prolly confused you more)
| / (root) 4G
| Swap that equals your RAM (256; 128, 64 etc)
| Either /usr/local or /home (remainder) (You can have all the folders if
you
| want but only need three - the rest are setup by default in the /
directory)
| As for your PCI NIC's
| at the console type
| dmesg | less
| Nb, that | character is shift-backslash
| This brings up the boot messages; take a note of what it says about eth0
and
| eth1; and post them, it will probably tell you there which card is which.
| http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/network/nicinstall.html
| is a link to an install guide to NIC's
| http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/network/nicmodules.html
| is an install link to driver modules for NIC's
| exchange the module for your NIC with the one in the install guide.
| Hope this helps
|
| "Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
| news:w6Hu6.656$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| > Hi NyQuist.
| > Your chart really wrapped itself.. so let me see if I figured out what
you
| > were saying.
| > Swap file=4G
| > /USR/Local Or /Home= 128
| > /= remainder of drive?
| >
| > This is a dedicated disk so I don't have to worry about Windows being
| > "suffocated".
| > The NIC's are not working.
| > During Set-Up, they were recognized as eth0 and eth1, however, I have no
| > idea which is which.
| >
| > --
| >

| > Charles
| >

| > (Remove for email)
| >

| > ICQ# 42872537
| >

| > "NyQuist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
| > news:6zBu6.30152$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| > | Okey dokey.
| > | Reinstall and do some different things
| > | You only *need* three partitions.
| > | One for /
| > | One for Swap
| > | And another /home or /usr/local (or anything really)
| > | Make / you're largest; and also, 3 gig's each! - not even Windows is
| that
| > | bloated; you can fit LM7.2 with everything installed from the disks in
| > | around 2.5G. Partition the drives this way (if you just want linux)
(on
| > your
| > | 15G disk?)
| > | ____________________________________________________________
| > | |
| > | |  S      |      /usr/local             |
| > | |
| > | | W      |           or                  |
| > | |  A      |        /home               |
| |
| > | |           4G                  |
| > | |_____________________________________ |_128_|_________________|
| > | If i were you though i'd cut the / partition to ~ 4G and /usr/local to
| > 0.8G
| > | (That's the most you'll need even if you're d/ling iso's all the time
| > | (unless your box is for video editing)) and give bloated windows some
| more
| > | room to breathe.
| > | Don't use any other loader; LILO is the best; and don't install to the
| > MBR;
| > | it can severly compromise some systems; install to the first bit of /.
| > | everything boot wise should work then.
| > | To get the two nic's working, make sure they're both being seen; they
| will
| > | prolly come up as eth0 and eth1. More info needed here. What have you
| got
| > | working (NIC-wise) so far?
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
| > | news:mUxu6.604$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| > Deluxe.
| > | again

| > tell
| DSL
| > | one.

| > Linux.
| > | installed
| sound
| each
| > | with

| Now
| > | all
| > used
| > | in
| installed
| > | <G>

| > |
| > |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 24 Mar 2001 03:02:42 GMT

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 02:20:39 GMT, Charles staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>Not a problem. I finally have LM up and running. However, (and I posted
>this in linux.networking too), is this:
>
>I got the internet connection working, however, I can't browse. I keep
>getting "unknown hosts" errors...  I have been trying to read up on
>this with the how-to's, but, I'm an idiot with LM, and I am still
>trying to figure things out (like how to get my damn sound card working
><G>).

There's a file called /etc/resolv.conf .  Take a look at it... it should
look something like this:

search wibble.com
nameserver 141.211.125.17
nameserver 141.211.144.17

The "wibble.com" in the first line is appended to anything you try to
get to.  If you tried to browse "http://foobar", then your machine would
look for "http://foobar.wibble.com".  Lots of people set the first line
to "search " with nothing after it, and that's just fine.

The "nameserver" lines are really important.  The numbers after them are
the IP addresses of your primary and secondary DNS servers, which are
machines that do the job of translating human-readable names like
"slashdot.org" into the corresponding IP addresses like "64.28.67.150".
Your ISP should provide you with the addresses of their primary and
secondary DNS servers.  If you're using DHCP, the DNS should be set up
automatically.  If you're using a modem, DNS should be set up
automatically on most modern distros.  Try enabling "Use peer DNS" in
the PPP-dialer you're using; it's buried in the options somewhere.

If you posted the exact make+model of your sound card to
comp.os.linux.hardware , along with the information from "cat /proc/pci"
about your sound card, I think someone could help you out.  Bonne
chance....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "John Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cant find ttyS03
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:58:53 -0500

I having a tough time configuring my modem.  I cant find it using GNOME
dialer, setserial or  minicom. I'm running redhat 7.0
I researched into this and always come up empty handed unless I use KPPP.
KPPP finds it a CAU3.  From what I read cau0 are being depreciated, so I'm
tgrying not to use it.

I looked into /proc for the following files but find the files with 0 bytes,
so I dont know how to find out IRQ being used

r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Mar 19 20:40 ioports
r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Mar 19 20:41 tty/driver/serial

DMESG reports  at TTS03 a device that has the com port and IRQ settings that
I set on the card.

Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS03 at 0x02e8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

but minicom and setserial cant find it.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing
wrong?

    Thanks,
 John

minicom: WARNING: configuration file not found, using defaults
minicom: cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory

root@linux02 /root]# setserial ttyS3 irq 3 uart 16550A
ttyS3: No such file or directory
[root@linux02 /root]# setserial ttys3 irq 3 uart 16550A
ttys3: No such file or directory
[root@linux02 /root]# setserial ttys03 irq 3 uart 16550A
ttys03: No such file or directory
[root@linux02 /root]# setserial ttyS03 irq 3 uart 16550A
ttyS03: No such file or directory

[root@linux02 /root]# ls /dev/ttyS0*
/dev/ttyS0

kppp configuration works at
/dev/cua3

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel 2.4.2 compilation problem
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 02:58:27 GMT

==============73CA157ABFB784014DDFE64C

==============73CA157ABFB784014DDFE64C

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: linux.kernel
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 02:52:43 GMT

Hi there,

I try to compile kernel linux 2.4.2 to support ATA100 and it kicks off
with next message

/usr/src/linux/include/linux/raid/md_k.h: In function `pers_to_level':
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/raid/md_k.h:39: warning: control reaches
end of non-void function
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

GCC vertsion  is  -- gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.0)

Does it sounds familar to somebody? What is wrong here? Is GCC a source
of the problem?
Find bellow a portion of make output.

Andrey

/usr/src/linux/include/linux/interrupt.h: In function `raise_softirq':
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/interrupt.h:89: `current' undeclared (first
use in this function)
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/interrupt.h: In function
`tasklet_schedule':
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/interrupt.h:160: `current' undeclared
(first use in this function)
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/interrupt.h: In function
`tasklet_hi_schedule':
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/interrupt.h:174: `current' undeclared
(first use in this function)
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/string.h:22,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/fs.h:24,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/capability.h:18,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/binfmts.h:6,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/sched.h:10,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/mm.h:5,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/slab.h:15,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/proc_fs.h:6,
                 from init/main.c:16:
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/string.h: In function `__constant_memcpy3d':
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/string.h:305: `current' undeclared (first use
in this function)
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/string.h: In function `__memcpy3d':
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/string.h:312: `current' undeclared (first use
in this function)
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/raid/md.h:51,
                 from init/main.c:25:
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/raid/md_k.h: In function `pers_to_level':
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/raid/md_k.h:39: warning: control reaches
end of non-void function
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
[root@cluster_1 linux]# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.0)
[root@cluster_1 linux]#

==============73CA157ABFB784014DDFE64C==