From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jurriaan kalkman)
Subject: Re: SMP motherboard recommendations solicited
Date: 11 Apr 2001 05:40:49 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:30:50 -0400, Gregg Nemesure
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would like to put together a Linux-based SMP system, but I might need to
> run Solaris on it as well.
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1. Is Linux SMP still considered experimental, or is it now stable?

stable, more so in 2.2.19 than in 2.4.x.

> 2. What dual x86 CPU motherboards are recommended?

Is it a 24/7 server, that costs money whenever it's down?
BX-chipset dual motherboards have proven their worth.

> 3. Are there any that are known to work well with both Solaris and Linux?

You have basically three options:

BX chipset, doesn't run the very latest Pentiums, but proven their worth
VIA chipset, runs the very latest Pentiums, a bit new.
ServerWorks, runs the latest Pentiums, 64-bit PCI slots, but not totally
compatible with Linux at the moment.

I suggest you find out what Solaris wants, Linux will problably run on
that also.

> 4. Are there single CPU motherboards known to work well with both?

Again, if you need a proven motherboard, buy a BX chipset motherboard,
perhaps an Asus P2B (single) or P2BDS (dual, scsi).

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
BOFH excuse #267:

The UPS is on strike.
GNU/Linux 2.4.3-ac3 SMP/ReiserFS 2x1743 bogomips load av: 0.01 0.14 0.17

------------------------------

From: jazbo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help, Need a SCSI expert Urgently
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:56:23 -0400

Hello,
        I purchased a Ricoh 7060S cdrw for use with my Advansys SCSI-2
(3922) card and Mandrake Linux7.2
I have for this and other reasons compiled a 2.4.3 kernel. I am not
having a lot of success with the CDRW so far though and I can't even
tell if the problems I am having are because the RIcoh unit is damaged.
(It is blatantly obvious that someone has been using it before me
although it was sold to me as new - there are scratch marks from drive
rails, scuffing etc, a ding on one side.)

Mandrake gives a different name to the scsi cdrw device than linux 2.4.3
does. 2.4.3 calls a scsi cdrom/cdrw a /dev/sr{0,1,2,3,etc} while
Mandrake had set up /dev/scd{0,1,2,3,etc.}
I thought i could copy the device parameters given for /dev/scd* to
device files I named /dev/sr* - reading the kernel documentation for
devices.txt
I spent a couple of hours getting that right as I am not an expert on
the mknod command. I think I finally got it right
(compare)
brw-rw----    1 username    cdwriter  11,   0 Sep 27  2000 /dev/scd0
###<-what Mandrake7.2 created for cdwriters
brw-rw----    1 root     cdwriter  11,   0 Apr 11 00:09
/dev/sr0            ###<-what linux 2.4.3 understands is the cdwriter

Now when I modprobe the scsi generic driver into the kernel , i get this
in /var/log/messages:
Apr 11 00:48:50 soulmachine kernel: Detected scsi generic sg2 at scsi1,
channel 0, id 5, lun 0, type 6
Then when I put sr_mod module in i get :

Apr 11 00:48:56 soulmachine kernel: Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1,
channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Apr 11 00:48:56 soulmachine kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 20x/20x writer
cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Apr 11 00:48:56 soulmachine kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

all of which looks happy enough. But when I try to mount a iso9660 cd in
the Ricoh
mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/ricoh
I just get a SCSI timeout and resets of the bus. I had the same happen
earlier when I tried to simply make /dev/sr0 a symbolic link to
/dev/scd0
The mount command cannot be ctrl-c'ed of course or interrupted in any
way short of logging in on another console as root and rmmod -ing the
sr_mod module and sg driver. Then it segfaults but at least you're out
of it.

It's not a "sense error" although I got that one once after I moved the
terminator on the CDRW to see if I had that wrong.
It's no longer a "/dev/sr0 is not a valid block device" error message
althiough I had that a couple times as I sorted out the major and minor
numbers.
It's not "wrong major minor numbers" error message
It's just a failure to execute the mount command.
Mount echoes "this disk is write protected, mounting read only....," and
then it sits there poised in the middle of a carriage return without
returning to a prompt.
I can see the drive status light go from green to red back to green
again as it tries a second time, I guess. As I mentioned you have to
force mount to segfault by rmmoding the sr driver to get your prompt
back.

I bought a 23" Belkin SCSI 50 pin internal cable late this evening to
hookup the drive since it wasn't delivered with one.
I am hoping someone can help walk me through a quick sequential
troubleshooting tree that will unambiguously settle the question whether
the problem is in the hardware, or is it a mismatch of hardware, or a
misconfiguration problem on my part.

Other considerations: the Advansys card shares an IRQ with an Nvidia
video card - or it does when the NVdriver is loaded. But I have seen
this same result when at the console without NVdriver loaded at all.
The Advansys card is a "fast" type also known as SCSI -2 . Now in
researching the Ricoh 7060S CDRW I verified several times that their
SCSI model said SCSI -2 unlike current Yamahas. for example, which were
SCSI-3 and definitely called for an "Ultra SCSI" card. The Ricoh gives
the usual bandwidth max in their product lit for fast SCSI (8MB/Sec) not
Ultra-SCSI figure.
BUT looking above at the kernel messages that result from loading the
scsi cdrom driver, Linux seems to think this drive is a scsi-3 cdrw!
(having put quite alot of careful research into finding out what
interface *the manufacturer* specifies for their drive, I'm a little
pissed that some Linux developer decided to lump this in with drives it
is different from.)

The Advansys setup utility I discovered has a setting for support of
"removeable media" which is probably zips, jaz's and maybe CDRW. I have
that set to "enable". ALthough I didn't have that enabled at first, it
seems not to make any difference.

On the same SCSI (scsi1) bus is a Umax scanner
On scsi0 is a 3ware array. As far as I can see there is no interaction
between busses or anything like that.
I do get a message about a couple of interrupts in DMESG:
IRQ routing conflict in pirq table for device 00:0a.0
IRQ routing conflict in pirq table for device 00:07.2

However, neither of those are the Advansys SCSI hostadapter.

00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100]
(rev 05)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation EtherExpress PRO/100+
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR+
        Latency: 64 (2000ns min, 14000ns max), cache line size 08
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 7

00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B USB (rev 02)
(prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: Unknown device 0925:1234
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 64, cache line size 08
        Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 9

And they are not on the same IRQ as the Advansys. (IRQ10)
Or the 3ware card. (IRQ11)
================================

HELP!
I am in the worst spot with this. I just received this product this
afternoon and I need to figure out whether I should call them up
immediately and demand that they take this garbage back (I printed the
sales form, not just their email confirmations, nowhere does it say used
or refurbished on it!). On the one hand there aren't a lot of SCSI cdrws
I can buy to replace this one that won't require me to replace my
SCSI subsystem altogether, so I feel like if this thing is useable I can
tolerate being lied to and ripped off, but one the other hand, if this
thing is trash like it looks to be then I need to throw it back in their
face ASAP.

Thank You for your help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: IRQ modem problem: pci PnP (not winmodem)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:07:33 GMT

I have a USR 2977 (oem version of the 5610) that works fine with RH
7.0 but not when I tried a 2.4.0 kernel.  It dials but ppp dies soon
after defining a /dev/ppp.  Is my ppp from RH 7.0 not compatible with
the 2.4 kernel?  I am using kppp and have not tried any other ppp
tools.  I did an alias of ppp ppp_general to get as far as I did.

tia
Arthur

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help needed with LM7.2 /A7V133/ATA100HDD/GeForce2MX
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:07:51 GMT

Maybe you should take the general H/W questions to the ASUS
news group?  I have an ASUS A7V133 RAID, Duron 700 clocked
to 763 with the sdram clocked to 144mhz.  Easy 1mhz bios tweeks.
No, I don't notice any difference...  ;)

Leave the ASUS BIOS as is unless you have a problem that you
know is fixed with a later BIOS.  Mine is 1003 and it's fine.

I don't use the Promise Raid.  (There was no price difference at the
local computer show).  You don't need such an expensive heat sink
unless you are planning on really overclocking that Duron.  I am using
default voltages.

There is no problem with UDMA/ATA100 non-Raid.  Older ide hdd's
are also supported.  I am using a Western Digital WD200BB drive.
The IBM UDMA100 7k rpm drives are excellent too.

I don't know about the video and sound cards you mentioned, but
I don't think you need 32meg video unless you are a "gamer."
I'm using a Pine 16meg nVidia TNT 64M video.  Cheap and it flys for
me.

128meg real memory should be enough.  I have two 64meg swap
partitions that are rarely/barely touched with 128meg of ram.

CL3 refers to the number of memory clock cycles.  Humans can't
notice the difference between CL2 and CL3.  ;)

If you need a modem, go with USR 2977 or 2976 oem.  Make sure
the modem does NOT share the IRQ with the USB.  You need
Linux kernel 2.4.x for real USB support.  Ditto for the Promise Raid.

250 watt ps should be fine if you don't plan on serious overclocking.

I don't use NIC cards so can't comment.

Cheers
Arthur
============================================================================================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 11 Apr 2001 02:09:51 -0400

"Gregg Nemesure" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> 1. Is Linux SMP still considered experimental, or is it now stable?

My understanding is that it's officially experimental, but my
experience is that it's quite stable.  (Tyan Thunder 100 (440GX) and
Intel Providence (440FX) are my experience set.)

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
Subject: Re: lexmark 3200 in rh7.0
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:15:36 -0500

On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 15:30:05 -0000, Clayton Cheung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> anybody can get a lexmark 3200 to work in redhat 7.0?

I don't know about RH 7.0, but I got it working by downloading a driver:
        http://www.geocities.com/dgordini/lxm3200-0.4.1-gs5.50-src.tar.gz
and re-compiling Ghostscript with it. Follow the instructions in the tarball to
install the new driver in Ghostscript.

I downloaded:
        ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/aladdin/gs5.50/ghostscript-5.50.tar.gz
        ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/aladdin/gs5.50/ghostscript-5.50jpeg.tar.gz
        ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/aladdin/gs5.50/ghostscript-5.50libpng.tar.gz
        ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/aladdin/gs5.50/ghostscript-5.50zlib.tar.gz
        ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/aladdin/gs5.50/ghostscript-fonts-other-5.50.tar.gz
        ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/aladdin/gs5.50/ghostscript-fonts-std-5.50.tar.gz
to get the source for Ghostscript itself.

I don't know if there is an RPM solution for this somewhere out there. Maybe
someone else can advise you.

Wyatt.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth P. Turvey)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:11:56 -0500

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:53:01 +0100,
Mike Fleetwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The following software packages emulate PC hardware and will allow
>Linux to be installed within your virtual PC on Linux:
>
>* VMWare - Commerical
>       http://www.vmware.com/
>* Simics - Commercial
>       http://www.simics.com/
>* Plex86 - Open Source
>       http://www.plex86.org/
>
>More useful for kernel development is User Mode Linux which allows you
>to run a Linux OS (kernel and all required processes) as separate
>processes under Linux.
>
>* User Mode Linux - Open Source
>       http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

I use VMWare now, but I am interested in hearing about experiences with
Plex86 and User Mode Linux.  I run linux under the x86 platform so that
is really the only platform I'm concerned with right now.

How do these perform?  Are they stable?  Do they support networking?
What experiences have people had with them in a development environment?
How do they compare to VMWare?

Kenneth P. Turvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from
  acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.
        -- W. Somerset Maugham

------------------------------

From: Maniac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Two cd drives to configure??
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:06:12 -0500

Tom LeTourneau wrote:

> Jan Eric Andersson wrote:
>>
>> Tom LeTourneau wrote:
>>
>> > /dev/hdc  /mnt/cdrw  supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/hdc  0  0
>>
>> This line is wrong, change it to:
>>
>> /mnt/cdrw  /mnt/cdrw  supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/hdc 0 0
>>
>> And see if that helps...
>>
>> Jan Eric
>
> Well, before I had a chance to try your advice, I tried a new install...

Excuse this "hard" advice (I've been drinking)
Lets see you have a problem with a hardware device and you Re-Install.
First Get rid of the "Winodze" mentality. (Linux unlike WINDOZE doesn't
require a reboot or re-install after every mouse move.)

When you install Linux YOU are the boss (not some suit in Redmond) You
decide how to setup your system. The defaults in question (IDE CD's) will
probabily work fine if all you want to do is "read" the CDRoms but if you
want to write you have to change a few things. IIRC (Windoze also does this
for you w/o your knowledge.)  First CDRW's are not "True" IDE devices they
are scsi devices that Linux "emulates".

> After a brand new install and Mandrake 7.2 updates session - 2 hours, my
> cdrw on hdc still does not read files in shell or in KDE. Before I try
> the supermount -i disable, I would like you to see the setup without any
> interference from me.
>
> [tom@maine tom]$ ls -l /dev/cd*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr 10 08:06 /dev/cdrom -> hdb
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Apr 10 12:08 /dev/cdrom1 -> /dev/hdc
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr 10 08:06 /dev/cdrom2 -> hdc
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 15, 0 Sep 27 2000 /dev/cdu31a
> brw-r----- 1 root disk 24, 0 Sep 27 2000 /dev/cdu535
First off /dev/cdrom and cdrom1 are wrong, (they would work fine for
readers only BTW)
first off you need ide-scsi emulation enabled for the Kernel
Then you need (I am guessing in your case)
ide-scsi=/dev/hdb and ide-scsi=/dev/hdc as kernel parameters.
I say this because unless BOTH of the devices are configured as scsi devices
most CD Writer programs will only see the ones that are emulated as scsi
devices. Therefore you will not be able to copy cdroms (you can but it's
more dificult)
You need to destroy the /dev/cdrom and cdrom1 entries and link them to the
appropiate entries such as /dev/scd0 <==> /dev/hdb
and /dev/scd1 <==> /dev/hdc.
FSCK it   It is getting too complicated check the CDWriting HOWTo that is
included in you dist.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 40° 37' 9" N, 96° 57' 24" W
 A single tasking guy in multi tasking world

------------------------------

From: haller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Sis 630 + LCD on RH 7.0
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:20:57 -0700

"¯x°}" wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
>   I encountered problem when I am trying to set up
> my RH 7 linux box  on my Netvista X40 with SIS 630 and the LCD display. I
> can't set the resolution to 1024 x 768. How can I solve this problem?
> Thx

Try adding the line

  vga=791

to your lilo.conf file. This will start you off with a resolution of
1024x768. Then reboot, and run Xconfigurator to make yourself an XF86Config
file. That worked for me. See the files in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/
for more info.

KH

------------------------------

From: jazbo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help, Need a SCSI expert Urgently
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:20:53 -0400

I also have booted the system with the Mandrake compiled 2.2.17-21 kernel.
Same exact thing.

It actually recognized the /dev/sr0 Ricoh CDRW at bootup because they have
an initrd  that supports the SCSI driver, and I have not done that for
2.4.3
but you still can't mount any disc ( I tried different ones to be sure)
In neither kernel will the disc ever "spin up".
I have looked at the drive unit closely to make sure I'm not missing a
transport locking screw, or something-
I have tried both positions on the Belkin SCSI cable.

Still, what I see is the drive light go red after trying to mount the disc,
then green again as it tries a second time, then red again, then it flashes
red and green quickly.

What should I try to get this thing working?

------------------------------

From: Ed Ohsone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: ATA100 drive with ATA33 controller
Date: 11 Apr 2001 08:01:11 GMT

I am thinking of buying a new hard drive to attach to my old PC
running linux.

Nowadays almost all new IDE hard drives are ATA100. But my PC supports
only ATA33. In this case can I add ATA100 drive to my PC
without problems? Are ATA100 drives backward compatible?

I do not mind not using full bandwidth of the new drive
as long as it works as fast as ATA33 with stability.

Do I have to buy an adapter going between the existing cable and
the new drive, since I hear ATA100 has 80 pin socket
while my PC has 40 pin cable?

Second question.
Which channel should I use for the new drive to get the best performance
in the below situation?

Current usage of IDE controller:
   channel 1 ------- 10 GB hard drive
   channel 2 ------- CD-ROM dirve

It seems connecting the new drive to channel 2 as master and
moving the CD drive to slave status is the way to go. Right?
I would appreciate if you let me know why or why not, as
I know very little about IDE controllers.

Finally, I am about to choose Fujitsu 40GB 5400rpm with fluid bearing.
Do you have any comment on that or any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ed