Linux-Hardware Digest #632, Volume #14           Mon, 16 Apr 01 14:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Random tape device... (John Ouellette)
  Re: Promise RAID Controller (Robert Kennedy)
  Re: Random tape device... (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Modem trouble ("Krstanovic")
  Re: how to get higher resolution redhat 7 (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Problems with Mini-PCI wavelan card from Lucent/Orinoco (A transfinite number of
monkeys)
  Raid ("Markus Sander")
  Re: Raid ("Thomas Hoell")
  Re: Problem configuring HP Deskjet 820 Cxi (Markus Kossmann)
  Re: Microsoft gets hard ("JS PL")
  Re: Buying a Dell Laptop, compatability feedback please (Harold Stevens
US.972.952.3293)
  Re: Buying a Dell Laptop, compatability feedback please
  Re: Microsoft gets hard (Chad Everett)
  laptop video card encrypts alternate letters ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: laptop video card encrypts alternate letters (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Microsoft gets hard (Chad Everett)
  major, minor number changing (Harmon Seaver)
  Re: major, minor number changing (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video? (Anthony Hill)

From: John Ouellette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Random tape device...
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 08:35:41 -0400

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> John Ouellette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > How stable is devfs?  I haven't thought about it in a while, but last
> > I remember there were 'issues'....  I'll be upgrading to 2.4.x in
> > the near future, so this might be an option.
>
> I can't really speak to the stability.  I mucked about with it for a bit
> when I installed the SGI XFS pre-release, which had it enabled.  This
> was RH7, and I had to change some bits in /etc/security/console.perms
> in order, e.g., to be able to 'startx'.  Everything "seemed" to work after
> that (although I didn't try all that much stuff).  But I didn't want to fully
> explore it (I was more interested in the XFS bits, obviously), and the box
> was eventually going into production, so when I compiled a more recent
> 2.4.3-XFS kernel, I disabled it.  There's some discussion of devfs on
> the linux-xfs mailing list over at SGI, if you want to look into it more.
>
> BTW, in general, the recommendation seems to be to hold off a bit on
> 2.4.x unless it's got features you really need.  When the 2.5 tree gets
> started, that's when the 2.4 tree has been deemed bug-free enough
> to not need everybody's attention.  That being said, RH7.1 is supposedly
> right around the corner, and based on 2.4.

Since when has a RH release been an indicator of stability? =;-)

xfs is SGI's journalling FS, isn't it?  I'll have to check that out,
too...

Thx,

John Ouellette                     | Ph: 212-313-7919
Department of Astrophysics         | Fax: 212-769-5007
American Museum of Natural History | e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Central Park West at 79th St.      |
http://research.amnh.org/astrophysics
New York, NY  10024-5192           |

From: Robert Kennedy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promise RAID Controller
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 08:07:04 -0500

The source tarball:

ftp://ftp.promise.com/Controllers/IDE/FastTrak100/Linux/LinuxBETA/rel.tgz

Seems to work for the 2.2 kernel series.  I have written Promise several
times regarding support for the 2.4 kernel and every time I have gotten a
negative response.  If you can write kernel driver modules than the 2.2
source code could probably be modified to work...

Cheers,
Robert Kennedy

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Apr 2001 13:34:09 GMT

John Ouellette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>>
>> BTW, in general, the recommendation seems to be to hold off a bit on
>> 2.4.x unless it's got features you really need.  When the 2.5 tree gets
>> started, that's when the 2.4 tree has been deemed bug-free enough
>> to not need everybody's attention.  That being said, RH7.1 is supposedly
>> right around the corner, and based on 2.4.
>>

> Since when has a RH release been an indicator of stability? =;-)

Did I ever claim it was?  ;)  I simply meant that, should you really want
to move to a 2.4 kernel, there's a distro (which is now out) based on it.

> xfs is SGI's journalling FS, isn't it?  I'll have to check that out,
> too...

It is indeed.  They're getting very close to a 1.0 release.  I've been
using CVS snapshots of it for about a month now, and it's quite stable
for my needs.  I'm using it on a 560GB (no, that's not a typo) RAID system
I've got setup as a single partition, NFS exported to about 15 clients.
There's no way I'd want to fsck that!

Good luck.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: "Krstanovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Modem trouble
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:01:46 +0200

I have Rockvell 56k ISA modem.It works on IRQ#3 and COM2 port under Win Me
and DOS,but will not work under Red Hat 7
Help me to configure it.Without the modem Linux is not so useful,in my
opinion :)
Thanx!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: how to get higher resolution redhat 7
Date: 16 Apr 2001 14:07:30 GMT

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 04:01:35 GMT, Jonadab the Unsightly One staggered
into the Black Sun and said:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy) wrote:
>
>> You might see something like:
>>   Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "512x384"
>
>I have a tangentially related question...  Most of the time I use
>640x480 or 800x600, but if I wanted to zoom in a bit closer (say, to
>mess with a simple image more carefully)...  what happens if I put
>something like "320x200" on that list?  Will I hurt anything trying it?

You have to have an appropriate modeline defined for this low
resolution.  Kind of like so:
Modeline "320x200" 12.588 320 336 384 400 200 204 205 225 Doublescan

The Doublescan keyword is important.  That might not be the right
modeline for your monitor; use xf86config to generate a good one....

For yet another tangentially related question:  How can you do this in X
4.0.3?  Modelines aren't defined within the XF86Config file, and without
a way to specify "Doublescan", there's no way to get the monitor to do
the right thing.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.embedded,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problems with Mini-PCI wavelan card from Lucent/Orinoco
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:37:53 GMT

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:28:24 +0200, Juergen Seyffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hello Linux-Freaks
:
: Did anyone have a Mini-PCI Wavelan-Card from Lucent/Orinoco running with
: Linux.
: I have that card on a Geode GX1 Companion Board, but only see a TI 1410
: Cardbus Controller with lspci or /proc/pci. Tried everything in PCMCIA-Howto
: and can't find nothing on Orinoco Homepage.

I don't have that particular Mini-PCI card, but I've got other Mini-PCI
cards.  It's not a PCMCIA card, it's a PCI card.

: Any hints are welcome
:
: Best regards
:
: Juergen Seyffer
:
:

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.

------------------------------

From: "Markus Sander" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Raid
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:02:50 +0200

I have an Asus A7V133 Mainboard with Promise RAID controller. I have two
harddisks at the raidcontroller (stripe). Now I want to install Linux, but I
get an error (No harddisks found).
Thx Markus

------------------------------

From: "Thomas Hoell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Raid
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:33:24 +0200

In article <9bf1it$qqh$01$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Markus Sander"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have an Asus A7V133 Mainboard with Promise RAID controller. I have two
> harddisks at the raidcontroller (stripe). Now I want to install Linux,
> but I get an error (No harddisks found).
> Thx Markus

You need a bootdisk with a Kernel supporting the controller. AFAIK a
patch is available at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/ but it will be of
no use for  you because you have to patch the kernelsources and recompile
it. Perhaps you should check your vendor's site for bootdisk images
supporting that controller.

But isn't there another controller onboard? I've got a A7V with both VIA
and Promise controllers. I had a lot of problems with the Promise so I
switched back to the UDMA66-VIA. I may be wrong, but if there is another
controller onboard you should consider using this one (at least until
yout got everyting running).

bye,
Thomas

--
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

GnuPG-Key 0x0FFE104B

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem configuring HP Deskjet 820 Cxi
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:00:24 +0200

You know http://sourceforge.net/projects/pnm2ppa ?

--
Markus Kossmann

From: "JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft gets hard
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:02:00 -0400

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JS PL wrote:
> >
> > "unicat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >
> > > Of course there's a name for companies that trusted Microsoft as a
> > busniess
> > > partner...extinct!
> >
> > Which one is extinct? There's about 32,000 Certified Business Partners
> > Organizations. And about 6 million developers using Microsoft
Development
> > tools.
> > http://www.microsoft.com/business/partners/
> > Which one became extinct?  Ass.
> >
> > You really shouldn't Drink & Write.
> IS that 6 million MSDN subscribers? I would say there is more Linux
> developers out there, that don't need the fancy $5000 mecharno kit to
> prove to their mates that they can program. Oh, and btw, I have a SUN
> developer connection subscription, and compared to the Microsoft shit,
> it is worth every dollar, esp the support SUN provides, real engineers
> helping programmers.  Not the Microsoft help when you just have some
> half witt reading out a help file to you.

More than 6 million Linux developers! I think not. I submit that there are
not even 6 million Linux USERS!!
Linux.org claims that there are 12 million. After reading the incredible
straw grasping that is used to come up with those numbers, such as counting
documents found for Linux at AltaVista! Or,counting unique "From" posts in a
Linux newsgroup and extrapolating it out by a "wholly guessed at"
multiplier!  I would guess that it's about one tenth of what is claimed or
1.2 million at most.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293)
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.laptop
Subject: Re: Buying a Dell Laptop, compatability feedback please
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:44:02 GMT

In <9455d0$n5a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Can anyone tell me with great certainty if I can get all my hardware
>configured under a major distrubution (I prefer SuSe)?

Sorry I cannot help you with this, but I have a question that you, or
others, may be able to answer about SuSE and Dell Latitudes.

[Snip...]

>I had a very similar one (Latitude CPia) and all worked reasonably well.

[Snip...]

This is good to hear. The Latitudes seem to get high marks generally.

I'm considering SuSE 7.1 on a Dell Latitude CPi A366XT. Since this is
a configuration with a single removable bay for either a CD or floppy
(but obviously not both simultaneously) I must consider how to get it
to boot up the SuSE install. Maybe boot the install diskette, then do
hotswap of floppy for the CD to continue the install (?). Or try SuSE
boot from install CD option, if this Latitude BIOS permits (?).

Any suggestions about this install configuration appreciated.

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.laptop
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:52:23 GMT

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:44:02 GMT, Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In <9455d0$n5a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>Can anyone tell me with great certainty if I can get all my hardware
>>configured under a major distrubution (I prefer SuSe)?
>
>Sorry I cannot help you with this, but I have a question that you, or
>others, may be able to answer about SuSE and Dell Latitudes.
>
>[Snip...]
>
>>I had a very similar one (Latitude CPia) and all worked reasonably well.
>
>[Snip...]
>
>This is good to hear. The Latitudes seem to get high marks generally.
>
>I'm considering SuSE 7.1 on a Dell Latitude CPi A366XT. Since this is
>a configuration with a single removable bay for either a CD or floppy
>(but obviously not both simultaneously) I must consider how to get it
>to boot up the SuSE install. Maybe boot the install diskette, then do
>hotswap of floppy for the CD to continue the install (?). Or try SuSE
>boot from install CD option, if this Latitude BIOS permits (?).

can it be hotswapped?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 16 Apr 2001 11:42:13 -0500

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:02:00 -0400, JS PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> JS PL wrote:

>> > busniess
>> >
>> > Which one is extinct? There's about 32,000 Certified Business Partners
>> > Organizations. And about 6 million developers using Microsoft
>Development
>> > tools.
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/business/partners/
>> > Which one became extinct?  Ass.
>> >
>> > You really shouldn't Drink & Write.
>> IS that 6 million MSDN subscribers? I would say there is more Linux
>> developers out there, that don't need the fancy $5000 mecharno kit to
>> prove to their mates that they can program. Oh, and btw, I have a SUN
>> developer connection subscription, and compared to the Microsoft shit,
>> it is worth every dollar, esp the support SUN provides, real engineers
>> helping programmers.  Not the Microsoft help when you just have some
>> half witt reading out a help file to you.
>

>More than 6 million Linux developers! I think not. I submit that there are
>not even 6 million Linux USERS!!

Well then you would be wrong.

>Linux.org claims that there are 12 million. After reading the incredible
>straw grasping that is used to come up with those numbers, such as counting
>documents found for Linux at AltaVista! Or,counting unique "From" posts in a
>Linux newsgroup and extrapolating it out by a "wholly guessed at"
>multiplier!  I would guess that it's about one tenth of what is claimed or
>1.2 million at most.

That's really a bad guess.  What other things are you guessing at?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: laptop video card encrypts alternate letters
Date: 16 Apr 2001 17:14:33 GMT

Hi:

My Compaq Armada laptop has developed a strange bug in its video card: every
other letter in text mode is 32 characters lower in the ASCII order.  For
example, the text "LINUX" reads as ",I.U8" or "L)N5X"
(depending on whether I
start at position 0 or 1).

Numbers do not get shifted, nor does the space key.

The same behavior is exhibited when I plug into an external monitor.

It's extremely weird behavior.

My questions: 1) does this sound like something that can be fixed (short of
surface-mounting a new video chip, which I'm not really comfortable doing),
or 2) can someone help me hack up a console-mode video driver to decode the
text for me?

Thank you very much,
/m

p.s. if you'd please CC your reply to my e-mail, I'd appreciate it.

   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: laptop video card encrypts alternate letters
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:25:33 GMT

On 16 Apr 2001 17:14:33 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi:
>
>My Compaq Armada laptop has developed a strange bug in its video card: every
>other letter in text mode is 32 characters lower in the ASCII order.  For
>example, the text "LINUX" reads as ",I.U8" or "L)N5X"
>(depending on whether I
>start at position 0 or 1).
>
>Numbers do not get shifted, nor does the space key.
>
>The same behavior is exhibited when I plug into an external monitor.
>
>It's extremely weird behavior.
>
>My questions: 1) does this sound like something that can be fixed (short of
>surface-mounting a new video chip, which I'm not really comfortable doing),
>or 2) can someone help me hack up a console-mode video driver to decode the
>text for me?

Well, from the looks of things, you've got a bad video memory chip.
You're getting two-bit errors, on bit's 6 and 5 of every other byte.
I'd guess that your video memory is implemented in 16bit chips, and
the error is occurring on every video word.

Here's what I see:

   Good values            Bad values
  'L' = 0x4C (01001100)   ',' = 0x2C (00101100)
  'U' = 0x55 (01010101)   '5' = 0x35 (00110101)
               ==                      ==
Notice the flipflop of the two bits (at 2^6 and 2^5)

I doubt that a new video driver will do much good. It looks like your
videocard is in trouble.

Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:52:01 GMT

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:06:23 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "unicat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>
>> > Of course there's a name for companies that trusted Microsoft as a
>> busniess
>> > partner...extinct!
>>
>> Which one is extinct? There's about 32,000 Certified Business Partners
>> Organizations. And about 6 million developers using Microsoft Development
>> tools.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/business/partners/
>> Which one became extinct?  Ass.
>>
>> You really shouldn't Drink & Write.

Of course those numbers supplied by Microsoft on the page you referenced
is a lie.  Try going to the link on that page that let's you find a
Microsoft "partner" and see what happens.

>OTOH, what happened to all the Linux partners? You can count the remaining
>ones on one hand.

Wow!  You must have a lot of fingers.  Was it a genetic mutation?

------------------------------

From: Harmon Seaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: major, minor number changing
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:54:22 GMT

    I just did this not too long ago, but can't for the life of me
remember how to change major and minor numbers of /dev/hdx. Thought it was
hdparm, but the hdparm manpage says nothing about it.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: major, minor number changing
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:58:27 GMT

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:54:22 GMT, Harmon Seaver
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    I just did this not too long ago, but can't for the life of me
>remember how to change major and minor numbers of /dev/hdx. Thought it was
>hdparm, but the hdparm manpage says nothing about it.

mknod /dev/hdx b major# minor#

man mknod

From: Anthony Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:01:40 GMT

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 04:01:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the
Unsightly One) wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams) wrote:
>> I can get with some of the above.  Most bore me though.  The
>> amazing thing I've found is what is useful as background and
>> what is distracting.  I would never have guessed.  I like
>> classical music, but find it distracting.  ...maybe because
>> it demands attention.  Anyway...
>
>Yeah.  Too many changes in temp and volume are distracting,
>and classical does a lot of that.  Baroque is more even
>and steady and therefore (to me anyway) less distracting.
>
>Chant can also be okay as background, as long as it's
>in a language I don't know.  Someday when I learn Latin,
>I probably won't be able to play chants as background
>anymore.

Call me old-fashioned, but I've always preferred electronica as
background music.  Nothing seems to get me into the right working
grove like a little ditty from Moby or Underworld :>

>> I always had a
>> desktop system to do the real work.  That changed with this
>> beast.  My desktop system rarely runs (at work).  I had
>> several systems where I could rung background place-n-route
>> stuff.  That's all gone away since I can carry my "desktop"
>> with me.  ...even more so since I can plug the thing into a
>> dock and get the secondary display.
>
>What I want is a static IP so I can telnet into my
>home system from work (or, for that matter, from
>wherever)...  but I'm not sure I want to pay for
>that just yet.

Well, if you get either a cable modem or DSL with at least a
semi-static IP (my cable company uses DHCP, but gives me the same IP
for at least 3 months at a time), and then combine that with a dynamic
IP DNS entry (from someone like dhs.org) and software to auto-update
that on any DHCP call, this can be done with no extra cost.  It's a
tiny bit involved to get setup, but not TOO tough.

>> Wrong attitude.  There is nothing salvagable down the line.
>> Motherboards go with processors. The days of a motherboard
>> lasting generations went away with socket-7.
>
>The motherboard goes with the processor, but I already
>explained that most of what I do isn't processor-intensive.
>My PII/233 is fast enough and will continue to be fast
>enough for a couple of years yet.  But I had to buy more
>RAM and a second hard drive and am going to be getting
>my third keyboard soon.  If I were getting a new system,
>I'd be thinking along similar lines in terms of expansion
>path:  get something good enough that in five years it
>will still be able to function.

Ugg, a 233MHz PII would piss me off these days :>  Of course, I'm
picky.  I don't do anything TOO CPU intensive, but I get very
impatient waiting for stuff, especially when I know that there is
something faster available for very little cost.

>The other thing is, Duron is a cheaper option than
>almost anything new, except K6-2, and K6-2 just won't
>have the performance in two or three more years; I
>want my PC to last longer than that, if nothing else
>because migrating a multiboot system to new hardware
>is a serious pain.

Ugg, tell me about it.  Last time I tried swapping a new hard drive
into my multiboot system, Win2K managed to so seriously screw up my
partitions on the new hard drive that I lost ALL data in ALL
partitions on both my new and old hard drive.  I had to use a Linux
boot floppy and Linux's FDisk to clean up the mess before trying it
again.

>> Today I gave a presentation (forced) at work.  I was rather
>> surprised that the overhead display worked at 1600x1200.
>> Neat! It sure beats making transparencies!
>
>Let me guess:  they made you use Power Point.
>[Powerless & Pointless is more like it...]

PowerPoint might not be the best presentation tool on the market, but
it's quick and easy.  For my needs at least, it's sufficient.  Mind
you, my needs average about 1 presentation every 2 to 3 months,
usually lasting 10 minutes or less.

Tony Hill